Author Topic: Pack Searchers  (Read 45879 times)

Offline Zenergizer

Re: Pack Searchers
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »
Even though they're not technically taking the product without paying for it,
I think of this similar example:

Many of the soda companies have contests where you have to find something
under the caps.  If I went in there and opened up the soda bottles to look
under all the caps, and only purchased the bottles with the winning caps, leaving
opened (or at least tampered with) bottles on the shelf, that's at least ruining
the store's product, making it unfit for resale.

Same with packs that have the corners ripped off.  Do these people have no shame?

Offline Roalef31

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
This whole thing is terrible and I had know idea that this kind of thing happened. I think it happens everywhere though, I noticed evidence at my local stores.

I wonder what the stores do with the ripped open packs. They obvisously can't sell them like normal. Do you think if you went in there, saw them opened, and then immediately went to get someone and show them, if they would give you the packs or at least a discount?

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »
Technically I imagine physically tampering (cutting, ripping, opening) would be vandalism of some kind.

Just shows that greed has taken over as a major goal of humanity.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
Our Hobby will be our own downfall.  As long as there is profit in pack searching (with no consequences) they will continue to search.  We then buy the special card because we don't want or can't (because of Pack Searchers) find the special cards.  New people start the hobby then quickly realize you can not beat the system and then leave the hobby.  We then are all stuck with a plethora of cards that eventually no one will want because we didn't cultivate the young people into the hobby.  I just read the last few posts and every one of you stated "I don't buy cards at Target or Walmart because of Pack Searchers"  Unfortunately if packs are not purchased there will be no new packs to come.  We will end up like baseball cards did (large drop in value except for rare cards), or worse like stamp collectors because they did not get young people into the hobby.  (I inherited a large stamp collection a few years ago and I could find no one to unload it to.)  I do everything I can at our local Targets to discourage pack searchers,  I have embarrassed them,  I have gone to managers,  but everyone I talk to really doesn't care..  just ponder to yourself and (we all are in the basic same age bracket) when we get ready to sell our collections, who is going to buy them?  I know my son doesn't want them,  so who?

Offline Kook

« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
Our Hobby will be our own downfall.  As long as there is profit in pack searching (with no consequences) they will continue to search.  We then buy the special card because we don't want or can't (because of Pack Searchers) find the special cards.  New people start the hobby then quickly realize you can not beat the system and then leave the hobby.  We then are all stuck with a plethora of cards that eventually no one will want because we didn't cultivate the young people into the hobby.  I just read the last few posts and every one of you stated "I don't buy cards at Target or Walmart because of Pack Searchers"  Unfortunately if packs are not purchased there will be no new packs to come.  We will end up like baseball cards did (large drop in value except for rare cards), or worse like stamp collectors because they did not get young people into the hobby.  (I inherited a large stamp collection a few years ago and I could find no one to unload it to.)  I do everything I can at our local Targets to discourage pack searchers,  I have embarrassed them,  I have gone to managers,  but everyone I talk to really doesn't care..  just ponder to yourself and (we all are in the basic same age bracket) when we get ready to sell our collections, who is going to buy them?  I know my son doesn't want them,  so who?

It is an interesting question. I find that for wackys, establishing it as a hobby for young kids may be a problem for a few reasons:
1. In the 70s, wackys were more a fad and fit the times rather than set up to be a hobby. The fact that people in their 40s are keeping this alive is more by accident than by Topps design IMO.
2. Back in the 70s, we (as kids) didn't need anyone to "indoctrinate" us. It was, in fact, the opposite - reluctant parents shaking their heads at us kids wasting our allowances on these stickers. It was a self perpetuating situation. I doubt I would have been as into wackys if my dad had given me his wacky collection or it was something we did together. It was more something you shared with your friends.
3. Today, there are just too many other cool alternatives competing for today's kids' time, attention & cash. After all, the cutting edge video game of the time was PONG, and the computer of the day was a TRS-80 from radio shack, or a commodore pet computer with a cassette recorder attached.

I think the only people who are going to be interested in buying our collections will be others our age, or people into "americana" in general. Wackys were pretty popular back in the day, so they do hold a place in people's memories, and in our history in general. Just my 2cents...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:15 AM »
if packs are not purchased there will be no new packs to come.
Hope springs eternal.  LOL

when we get ready to sell our collections, who is going to buy them?  I know my son doesn't want them,  so who?
My keepers are gonna be in the box with me. As a matter of fact, they aren't going to put the dirt back on top. I'll just be buried under Wackys. Flashbacks, mostly.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
Remember that bonus boxes are still safe from pack searchers. As long as the Topps shrink wrap is intact. So going to Target can stiff be fun. It was for me at least, and had fun opening packs & building my set. I was all ready to just buy a minimal set off eBay, but I saw bb's at Target and figured they were safe. Not that I'm buying them for sketches, since I NEVER pulled one yet, but knowing the chance is there is a good thing.

Now collation of the bb's are another story. I bought 6 bb's, and only got ONE stinkin #35. What the...? Thanks to some trades I was able to build a couple extra base sets.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
My keepers are gonna be in the box with me. As a matter of fact, they aren't going to put the dirt back on top. I'll just be buried under Wackys. Flashbacks, mostly.

lol! Love it!  :great:

Now collation of the bb's are another story. I bought 6 bb's, and only got ONE stinkin #35. What the...? Thanks to some trades I was able to build a couple extra base sets.

Bonus boxes are the only ones that interest me anymore. Blister packs were annoying imo because they almost always digned the bonus cards. Sad to see the collation is still so bad -- is it ever going to change?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
I inherited a large stamp collection a few years ago and I could find no one to unload it to.

I would be curious to know what kind of stamps you have.  I'm always looking to add to my collection.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »
I would be curious to know what kind of stamps you have.  I'm always looking to add to my collection.
I got rid of them in the early 90's they were 3 shopping bags full of stamps (mostly corners) I think I got like 300-400 for the whole lot.  the guy went threw them and claimed they were all commons except for one which I remember was a cancelled hinenberg.  I recall this one becasue he said it makes the group worth it.   

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
It is an interesting question. I find that for wackys, establishing it as a hobby for young kids may be a problem for a few reasons:
1. In the 70s, wackys were more a fad and fit the times rather than set up to be a hobby. The fact that people in their 40s are keeping this alive is more by accident than by Topps design IMO.
2. Back in the 70s, we (as kids) didn't need anyone to "indoctrinate" us. It was, in fact, the opposite - reluctant parents shaking their heads at us kids wasting our allowances on these stickers. It was a self perpetuating situation. I doubt I would have been as into wackys if my dad had given me his wacky collection or it was something we did together. It was more something you shared with your friends.
3. Today, there are just too many other cool alternatives competing for today's kids' time, attention & cash. After all, the cutting edge video game of the time was PONG, and the computer of the day was a TRS-80 from radio shack, or a commodore pet computer with a cassette recorder attached.

I think the only people who are going to be interested in buying our collections will be others our age, or people into "americana" in general. Wackys were pretty popular back in the day, so they do hold a place in people's memories, and in our history in general. Just my 2cents...

Very valid points however the ANS is geared towards kids of this generation (flash backs I assume were for us).  I gotta tell you if I didn't really enjoy looking at my cards, I would have to sell now.  I guess I am going to buried with them. 

anything