Author Topic: Pack Searchers  (Read 45882 times)

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Pack Searchers
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-ANS-8-5-Sketch-Flash-Foil-HOT-PACK-GOLD-/320787265647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab069386f

This seller says the following

WACKY PACKAGES ANS 8 LOT OF (5) FACTORY SEALED PACKS EACH GUARANTEED TO CONTAIN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

1/1 ARTIST SKETCH

FLASH FOIL

GOLD FLASH FOIL

I don't understand. I've got a cold and am not thinking straight. What does this mean? I could get 5 foils? What is being guaranteed?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-ANS-8-5-Sketch-Flash-Foil-HOT-PACK-GOLD-/320787265647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab069386f

This seller says the following

WACKY PACKAGES ANS 8 LOT OF (5) FACTORY SEALED PACKS EACH GUARANTEED TO CONTAIN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

1/1 ARTIST SKETCH

FLASH FOIL

GOLD FLASH FOIL

I don't understand. I've got a cold and am not thinking straight. What does this mean? I could get 5 foils? What is being guaranteed?

Probably means you will get one silver foil in each pack. In the past couple ANS series, there is a pattern to the way the packs are arranged within boxes. From what I have seen, the sketch and gold foil cards are found in packs that would "normally" be silver foil packs based on their position.

So I think they are honest in saying the pack could contain either of the three. BUT... I have not heard of anyone pulling more than 1 sketch or more than 1 gold out of a case.  So my guess is they are going through a case and have already found the sketch and gold foil in that case. So they are now taking all the remaining packs that are in the silver foil pack positions and selling them as a POSSIBLE sketch/gold/silver pack.

Not an outright lie, but I can almost guarantee they are selling what's left of a picked-over case meaning you have very little chance of getting a gold foil or sketch. Bastards!
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
Yeah, very deceptive. Think of these auctions like those sweepstakes junk mails where you are guaranteed to win either a solid gold house, a private tropical island, or a cheap plastic knockoff clock.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
Probably means you will get one silver foil in each pack. In the past couple ANS series, there is a pattern to the way the packs are arranged within boxes. From what I have seen, the sketch and gold foil cards are found in packs that would "normally" be silver foil packs based on their position.

So I think they are honest in saying the pack could contain either of the three. BUT... I have not heard of anyone pulling more than 1 sketch or more than 1 gold out of a case.  So my guess is they are going through a case and have already found the sketch and gold foil in that case. So they are now taking all the remaining packs that are in the silver foil pack positions and selling them as a POSSIBLE sketch/gold/silver pack.

Not an outright lie, but I can almost guarantee they are selling what's left of a picked-over case meaning you have very little chance of getting a gold foil or sketch. Bastards!

I also said this is the begining of this thread...But very well put.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
This guy sells nothing but "hot packs" where's his swill?  Or, is this one of the guys that picks over every pack at local Targets?

http://myworld.ebay.com/pooltannewt/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »
This guy sells nothing but "hot packs" where's his swill?  Or, is this one of the guys that picks over every pack at local Targets?

http://myworld.ebay.com/pooltannewt/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Guess he/she figures, why bother with swill when you can go for the kill. He does this with any collectible cards it seems.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
I had no idea pack searching is so organized   http://www.packsearching.com/

Check out this Mission Statement, of sorts

Packsearching.com is a collaboration of avid sports collectors, sports card collectors, and pack searchers. We are a group of avid, intelligent individuals who have mastered the art of capturing relics, autographs, sketches, and other hits inside sports, hobby, TV, and entertainment card packs. Breaking the boundaries of the average collector, we only find the elite. We only collect the GOOD stuff, because we know how to find it without wasting time and money purchasing base packs and complete boxes. Inside we chat with each other, disclosing and sharing information we’ve learned through both our years of trial and error and independent research of manufacturers and their products. We welcome new searchers and new collectors to our hobby, teaching others how to master our craft along the way.

Occasionally we’ll give away new product, host box and case breaks across the country, trade cards and memorabilia with each other, and just plain chat. We are all very talented pack searchers, card collectors, and hobby gurus and we know all the odds and ends to knowing how to search every pack of cards made on the market. We will show on video how to search every product with step by step details. Talk to our senior members or post a topic for help – someone will assist you shortly on guided instructions.

Someone please join their forum and do some research and report back with the latest techniques for pulling Wacky sketches   http://boards.packsearching.com/    

Who will accept this assignment? This post will self destruct in 20 seconds  

And some interesting stuff on Youtube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_qrK0qv88" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_qrK0qv88</a>
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:56:37 AM by Jean Nutty »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »
Holy crap.

Yet I'm surprisingly not surprised.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »
I had no idea pack searching is so organized   http://www.packsearching.com/

Check out this Mission Statement, of sorts

Packsearching.com is a collaboration of avid sports collectors, sports card collectors, and pack searchers. We are a group of avid, intelligent individuals who have mastered the art of capturing relics, autographs, sketches, and other hits inside sports, hobby, TV, and entertainment card packs. Breaking the boundaries of the average collector, we only find the elite. We only collect the GOOD stuff, because we know how to find it without wasting time and money purchasing base packs and complete boxes. Inside we chat with each other, disclosing and sharing information we’ve learned through both our years of trial and error and independent research of manufacturers and their products. We welcome new searchers and new collectors to our hobby, teaching others how to master our craft along the way.

Occasionally we’ll give away new product, host box and case breaks across the country, trade cards and memorabilia with each other, and just plain chat. We are all very talented pack searchers, card collectors, and hobby gurus and we know all the odds and ends to knowing how to search every pack of cards made on the market. We will show on video how to search every product with step by step details. Talk to our senior members or post a topic for help – someone will assist you shortly on guided instructions.

Someone please join their forum and do some research and report back with the latest techniques for pulling Wacky sketches   http://boards.packsearching.com/    

Who will accept this assignment? This post will self destruct in 20 seconds  

And some interesting stuff on Youtube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_qrK0qv88" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_qrK0qv88</a>

Seems like if Topps, and others were truly interested in preventing this, they would simply make the top and bottom portion of each wrapper a dark color that could not be seen through. In fact, the pack in the video is already navy blue at the very top and bottom, why not extend this another inch on both ends?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2011, 02:06:33 PM »
Seems like if Topps, and others were truly interested in preventing this, they would simply make the top and bottom portion of each wrapper a dark color that could not be seen through. In fact, the pack in the video is already navy blue at the very top and bottom, why not extend this another inch on both ends?

I would think Topps would eventually take measures to prevent pack searching because as more collectors learn how to do it they won't need as many boxes to open to get the cards they need, so it would affect sales.  Plus as people like us learn this is going on we are much less likely to buy packs at the retailers because we suspect they have already been searched. 

Maybe it's not a big enough issue yet for Topps to see a noticeable difference in sales, but if these techniques are spreading on the internet it will get worse before it gets better. 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
I've tried it but couldn't see through the pack. I think you need really bright lighting. Topps just needs to make the wrappers with something other than white. I wonder if they can see through the foil wrappers?

Offline Porkie

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
I think 1 in 100 packs should release a deadly neuro-toxin delivered by a spring-loaded needle that shoots straight under the fingernail.

Bet that'd stop 'em.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »
I think 1 in 100 packs should release a deadly neuro-toxin delivered by a spring-loaded needle that shoots straight under the fingernail.

Bet that'd stop 'em.

"Unopened pack guaranteed to contain a sketch, gold or silver flash foil, or a deadly neuro-toxin delivered by a spring-loaded needle that shoots straight under the fingernail."

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »
"Unopened pack guaranteed to contain a sketch, gold or silver flash foil, or a deadly neuro-toxin delivered by a spring-loaded needle that shoots straight under the fingernail."

Hmmmmm, may hurt the bidding on these eBay hot packs a bit, wouldn't it?

I was checking out some of the pack searchers videos on YouTube this afternoon.  No mention of Wacky Packages or GPKs specifics however. Mostly, people showing how to find sports jersey cards, for example. One young boy has a tutorial on how to discourage or scare off a pack searcher if you came across one in a store...actually not too bad advise. He noted that most pack searchers seem to be guys in their mid 30s to mid 40s.

You suppose Toys R Us was ahead of the curve on dissuading pack searching by selling blister packs or primarily trying to cut out shoplifting? Either way, Walmarts and Targets may need to adopt some strategy, other than a barb wire enclosed, Doberman patrolled trading card section. I would have thought a louder outcry against pack searching would come from the sports world where it appears to be more prevalent and lucrative.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
Here's 2 suggestions for deterring pack searching.

1 - Keep packs behind the counters where a clerk will have to give them to you.

2 - Topps make some cards that would appear to the pack searchers like a "good pull". But have that card be worth nothing. Like the guy in the video mentioned some writing at the bottom of the card, make a card with similar writing at the bottom to appear like that card or a similar good find, but have it be a totally worthless card that would have no appeal. That would be cool. This way you'd be a step ahead of the searchers, they would not have any advantage, and the rest of the public would stand a shot at a good pull.

Someone needs to research this from the inside and then take measures to thwart and severely stop this. Or it will be like was stated here, it's just a matter of time obviously.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
He noted that most pack searchers seem to be guys in their mid 30s to mid 40s.
I tear up at the realization I’m no longer part of that age bracket!       :'(

OK, so I went ahead and joined the Packsearching forum today. I’m interested in the type of “community” these folks have, and of course I planned to look up any WP techniques, just for giggles and laughs. After I registered and logged on, I did get a good chuckle. In order to join the Packsearching forum, it costs you money! Haha, I should have known, I am such a sucker. Brad really missed the boat on this one.

Here are some of the details of my adventure

After you sign up for the forum, this is the only thread and message you can view

WELCOME TO PACKSEARCHING.COM!
As you may know, you've just registered, and you may be asking yourself a few questions..

1. Why am I only seeing the Introductions page, wheres all the content that I was told about by (youtube) (my friends) (other users) ?

You are currently only a registered user, with limited access to content. If you would like to view videos, how-to's and chat with senior searchers who have years of experience and success searching, you must register to become a subscribed member.

2. How do I become a subscribed member?

Click on the profile link in the black header bar above.
    Under Actions, you will see a link for Paid Subscriptions.
    Click Paid Subscriptions and choose which option you'd like from the list.
    Immediately upon paying, you'll be eligible for access to the exclusive content.

3. What happens with the money collected for my subscription?
The money from each individuals subscription is collected in a bank exclusive to packsearching.com. The administrator uses these funds to host giveaways, box breaks, and maintain and add to the website.

Thank you!

The purchase page

1 months access to all packsearching information as well as instructional videos, monthly giveaways and group breaks.
$3.99

12 months, all access all the time. This will include exclusive information on every retail product as well as instructional videos, monthly giveaways and group breaks.
$24.95

There are a few people on the forum today, if anyone wants to join on and raise hell. Time for some fire and brimstone!

5499 Posts in 507 Topics by 101 Members. Latest Member: Jean Nutty
Latest Post: "How to subscribe!" ( November 19, 2011, 07:19:44 PM )

http://packsearching.com/boards/index.php

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »
Awww, It sounds like a nice group of friendly selfish theives.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »
Well it turns out I have a bad one in my local area.  Went to the Van Nuys Target last night and they had 2 boxes of the new Garbage Pail Flashback 3.  Well they had all been searched but this guy thought it make it easy for himself.  These new packs are serrated on the bottom and he just tore the corner off every pack!  Here's a pic.  I have to say it doesn't make any sense for me to buy packs in the wild unless it's in a Bonus Box or Blister Pack. 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
Well it turns out I have a bad one in my local area.  Went to the Van Nuys Target last night and they had 2 boxes of the new Garbage Pail Flashback 3.  Well they had all been searched but this guy thought it make it easy for himself.  These new packs are serrated on the bottom and he just tore the corner off every pack!  Here's a pic.  I have to say it doesn't make any sense for me to buy packs in the wild unless it's in a Bonus Box or Blister Pack. 

I would hope that they catch this guy on camera, and when he comes in next time (which he will because he got away with it last time) have security come up to the guy with all of the opened cards and make him pay for them.  If not have him arrested for theft by destruction.  (not sure if that is the legal term however it makes thier merchandise worthless so I know I am close).  Post pictures of it and make it known that Target or Walmart will prosucute the person or persons doing this action and it will stop.  Until then guess what you will have many packs left over that no one will buy and correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Target and Walmart use a service, and since this service doesn't have deep pockets like the big stores it is only a matter of time were it is not profitable for them to provide the Targets and Walmarts with product.  Then it is the new collectors who start out buying 1 - 2 packs and then they are dissuded to buy packs and then We are left with no future generations to sell our collections to when we grow OLDER (we are already old).  Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
I am convinced that this seller is someone who fingers the packs at retail stores. All chase, no swill. And not alot of each.   >:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-ANS8-BRENT-ENGSTROM-Sketch-Card-Knuckles-Candy-/250948837097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6db75ee9

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
I am convinced that this seller is someone who fingers the packs at retail stores. All chase, no swill. And not alot of each.   >:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-ANS8-BRENT-ENGSTROM-Sketch-Card-Knuckles-Candy-/250948837097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6db75ee9

He ebay name kind of reflects that speculation pretty accurately.

Offline isearch

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »
I dont finger the packs as you put it. I am a searcher but trust me where I found that card it would have sat there until Topps called them back. I actually have the entire set of ANS 8, almost all of the silvers,and I kept one sketch for my PC. I do sell all the rest though, I have even sold to some of the people that frequent these boards. Just want to put it out there that Im not the devil lol.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »

Got an e-mail my $3.95 thirty day subscription to the Packsearchers forum is about to expire. 

I’m not a pack searcher but am always curious about new methods to cheat and steal. Here’s my login if anyone wants to look around. I think my account will be closed in 24-48 hours.

http://boards.packsearching.com/
User name = JoeSchmo 
Password = JeanNutty123

Here’s one thread that was a fun read!

Being Caught

masternolan123
Have any of you guys be asked at the store about what you are doing with the cards by an employee? Some employee at a Walmart told my brother and i to stop opening the packs and we had found at least six or seven hot packs. There was still at least 4 gravities too that we hadnt checked and we told her we weren't opening packs but she like told us to put the packs back.

smackyphil
I have been asked 100 + times what I am doing I explain it to them if there not a jerk and even show them how, as they are seeing something they dont see too often,If they get rude I tell them to get the lost prevention or store manager and I will then call corporate if I have to,your doing nothing wrong unless your opening or damaging the packs.

AdminK
Yeah some old fat bitch was all up in my space the other day telling me to stop searching the cards that it's not fair to the kids I said no she said sir step away and I said ummm no. She went to get the lp (which by the way all of them are creepy looking fuckers) he said what are you doing I said finding the good cards he said you better not be opening them I said I make more money then you and your gf over (being the old lady) lol. If I'm going down for theft I'm stealing a Ferrari mfer

Irishty89
About 6 months ago me n phil were in detroit, we walk into this target and here is this say 12 or 13 year kid looking through some cards. phil runs over and just body checks this kid into the shelve yelling at him this isnt his area and to get lost.

smackyphil
Dont forget the hot chick I feel in Love with who was searching

chrigarza
I had my first encounter with a security guard at Target yesterday while seaching. This is what transpired:
Me: Searching and swiping packs.
Security: Walks towards me and says "Is that how you find the good stuff?"
Me: Yeah
Security: Walking away smiling "I see people do it all the time."
Me: You just know how to do it right.
Whomever else is searching this Target suck because I always find lots of hits there relics and autos. LOL

Resse815
I have security guys ask all the time, some are actually friends now and come bug me when I’m searching.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
Awww, It sounds like a nice group of friendly selfish theives.

I took a quick look at the site and now I need to take a long, hot shower... I feel dirty...

Some may feel differently, but for me, that just sucks the fun out of the hobby.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
I took a quick look at the site and now I need to take a long, hot shower... I feel dirty...

Some may feel differently, but for me, that just sucks the fun out of the hobby.

It does take the fun out of buying packs at stores. I now just walk right by the Wacky's. Sad.....

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »
It does take the fun out of buying packs at stores. I now just walk right by the Wacky's. Sad.....

Maybe someone from Topps will see this and get the idea that they need to make some changes. It really takes the fun out of buying packs in the wild.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
Irishty89
About 6 months ago me n phil were in detroit, we walk into this target and here is this say 12 or 13 year kid looking through some cards. phil runs over and just body checks this kid into the shelve yelling at him this isnt his area and to get lost.

This is disturbing. Turf wars? Seriously? I won't be surprised if all stores start gating off the card areas like Walmart did (before they stopped carrying cards altogether).

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »
This is disturbing. Turf wars? Seriously? I won't be surprised if all stores start gating off the card areas like Walmart did (before they stopped carrying cards altogether).

The pack searching crud has totally ruined the fun for me.  I used to go out of my way to buy a lot of packs at retail, whether I needed them or not, just to support Wackys, and hope to encourage future series.  With ANS9, I have not been to a single Target, since I know the gravity feeds are searched.  I got the sets on ebay. 

Not that I NEED to pull an ANS sketch - I didn't get one from either of the previous series, and don't care if I get an ANS9 sketch.  It's just the fact that more than likely, I have no chance to start with that bugs the heck out of me.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »

It's true, and the worse part of it is that the kids are the ones who are getting hurt because they will mostly buy from the retail stores.  Not that they are in it for the money, but they must get a big smile when they pull a gold or sketch, and their parents can always help them list it on ebay if they want to sell. 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Porkie

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
Yep, killed ANS for me too -- I don't even look in the stores anymore.

Also a sad reflection on society in general when you read some of those posts...

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2012, 10:26:06 AM »
Atrocious grammar aside, those posts about searching were very disturbing.  I still don't know how one could accurately find things in a gravity feed or even a 24 count box of cards.  Does the site actually give instructions on how to find autos, sketches, jersey cards, etc?  With the rarity of such "hits" in packs these days, it seems one could search all the packs in a store of a certain series and not find the real good cards.  When I do buy an occasional pack of sports cards these days, I read the odds on the pack and anything that seems worth getting is always something like 1:200+ packs.  I don't even know what the Wacky sketch or gold odds are, but it's hardly likely that a sketch or gold is even in the gravity or display box that's at a given store.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
It seems the pack searchers use two techniques mainly... Looking through the wrapper for border colors, etc. and by feel (not sure this has been applicable for WP packs though).  So what measures can Topps or others take to thwart searchers? Can packs be "shrink wrapped" in some fashion to limit the ability to move cards within the packs? Not sure if this is what ToysRUs was tying to accomplish with blister packs... I assumed it was more of a shoplifting preventative measure to make packs less likely to be pocketed. But you sure cant searcg packs further enclosed witin another level of packaging. Would wrappers made of different, less semi-transparent, materials help? Or is the only solution to remove the packs from customers hands until time of sale... like tobacco products at most Walmarts here you old have to ask the cashier for so many packs. What do people think?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
I think either limiting the ability of the cards to slide in the packs or just using the same border and edge color/graphics on all chase cards (so sketches and awful apps/Lame Games would look the same in the upper/lower quarter inch) would work.  From what I've seen all Wacky Packages searching is by sliding the rear card up and looking through the pack at the next card.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
I'm in agreement with those against certain types of pack searching.

Note:  I've never done it myself, don't know how and wouldn't want to, it takes the fun and surprise out of it.

I don't have any big objection to those who want to "feel" the outside of the pack and such, but to rip the
corners off and look to see what's there, and throw the unwanted packs back in the box, that's ludicrous
and the store should kick them out and write up a report.  That's stealing, period.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
It seems the pack searchers use two techniques mainly... Looking through the wrapper for border colors, etc. and by feel (not sure this has been applicable for WP packs though).  So what measures can Topps or others take to thwart searchers? Can packs be "shrink wrapped" in some fashion to limit the ability to move cards within the packs? Not sure if this is what ToysRUs was tying to accomplish with blister packs... I assumed it was more of a shoplifting preventative measure to make packs less likely to be pocketed. But you sure cant searcg packs further enclosed witin another level of packaging. Would wrappers made of different, less semi-transparent, materials help? Or is the only solution to remove the packs from customers hands until time of sale... like tobacco products at most Walmarts here you old have to ask the cashier for so many packs. What do people think?
I think it sucks and I think I will go tell the store's managers about this just to F those searcher bastards. They're screwing us, so we should screw them as much as possible.

anything