Author Topic: 2011 Halloween Postcards Anticipation Thread  (Read 44767 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: 2011 Halloween Postcards Anticipation Thread
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
I'm all for that idea. In fact, I did something similar with the promo cards for the "Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day". I required that members had joined before a certain month, and that seemed to work out great. I will certainly suggest the idea to Topps, but it's up to them to put the policy into effect.

In any event, the postcards will be coming soon! So, keep your eyes peeled...

Neil, could you start a new thread when your are ready to announce the release date?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Then these people should be blacklisted. How hard can it be to find out who is abusing the system? There has to be a record of who bought what. Elongate that to include what numbered set they received. Do this for a set or two and you can make the determination of who buys for the enjoyment and who buys for the dollar. Between Ebay, message boards, etc.., we can determine (not with 100% certainty) who is on the straight and narrow and who isn't.

The names of those who are doing it are known.  I think the main problem is that they network to buyers who don't have the same last name, so you would need a private investigator to figure it all out, and unfortunately unless there is a simple and non-time consuming way for Topps to do something about this issue it won't get done.  It's a tough one to remedy for sure.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
The names of those who are doing it are known.  I think the main problem is that they network to buyers who don't have the same last name, so you would need a private investigator to figure it all out, and unfortunately unless there is a simple and non-time consuming way for Topps to do something about this issue it won't get done.  It's a tough one to remedy for sure.

I've exchanged messages with a few of these large buyers and they say they use their parents and other relatives to buy. I would assume that most have the same last name. I could get my mother and sister to buy but they have the same last name as well. Wouldn't this be a bit fishy?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
I've exchanged messages with a few of these large buyers and they say they use their parents and other relatives to buy. I would assume that most have the same last name. I could get my mother and sister to buy but they have the same last name as well. Wouldn't this be a bit fishy?

If the majority of their networking are buyers who have the same name, then those orders should certainly be rejected.  I'm just not sure how concerned Topps is about the issue.  Their primary goal is to sell the sets and they will do that either way.  They may not want the hassle of risking canceling legit orders and having complaints.  It may open a can of worms. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
If the majority of their networking are buyers who have the same name, then those orders should certainly be rejected.  I'm just not sure how concerned Topps is about the issue.  Their primary goal is to sell the sets and they will do that either way.  They may not want the hassle of risking canceling legit orders and having complaints.  It may open a can of worms. 

Or it could be a last name that an innocent person just happens to share. The guy that got 75 sets was surely using a lot of people with no connection to his own name. There is no easy way for Topps to track and ban all these people though it could be done. An easier system is to just email known people the date and time of the release and have no unknowns on that list. As for the people that have abused the system, they need to be left off the list. I am sure there are a few people here that know the names of these people.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
Neil, could you start a new thread when your are ready to announce the release date?

Absolutely. In fact, I am going to create a new thread in a few minutes with a riddle that topps suggested I share...

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »
Absolutely. In fact, I am going to create a new thread in a few minutes with a riddle that topps suggested I share...

Holy Wacky Puzzle Batman !!!  ;D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »

I still say the best solution is a Wacky Subscription Plan. Pay something extra up-front to be guaranteed the ability to buy X of the limited release stuff. You don't actually have to buy any of it, but you are guaranteed the option of buying. Basically an option on the stuff.

I'd pay $40/year extra if it meant I was guaranteed the ability to buy 3 (or whatever the max is) of the two Postcard Series that came out for that year.

Known "legit" collectors (however that might be determined -- white-listed folks if you like) would be guaranteed the chance to buy the subscription.

Seems like a simple solution and it means more $$$ for Topps even if I don't buy 'em!

Also by having so many known legit collectors Topps would be able to satisfy the "true collector" group.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2011, 06:57:59 AM »
The names of those who are doing it are known. 

Apparently not known to those who should know.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I am sensing one culprit is in Chicago.  That "tearawayface" guy who used to frequent this forum ended up with hoards of previous releases.  I think he used the name Quisp on ebay.  I would suggest boycotting their ebay auctions but it is too easy to just create new ebay ids.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

That refers to those at Topps who have to deal with the abuse. People here are aware.

Besides death I can't think of anything positively certain but I would imagine just looking at people's addresses (email, paypal and geographical local), names, etc.., some red flags can be noticed when these sets are on sale.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »

Well, if your (and I mean in general, not YOUR) last name is Jones or Johnson or Smith, etc. that creates a problem with that process.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »
Well, if your (and I mean in general, not YOUR) last name is Jones or Johnson or Smith, etc. that creates a problem with that process.

None of the heavy buyers I know have a common last name.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
I was hoping the ordering page would have been up today as well. Out of sight, out of mind.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
you seem to be ready for a Lynching!   

When it's needed. From time to time.