Author Topic: 2011 Halloween Postcards Anticipation Thread  (Read 44762 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: 2011 Halloween Postcards Anticipation Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
Interesting discussion. And one that's not likely to dissipate anytime soon.

Here are two basic points to consider:

1) Everyone who paints will be represented in the Postcard set's Artist Bio Cards, whether it's 5 or 50.

2) Limiting the number of postcard sets is a decision Topps made based on customer feedback. It the only way to ensure that most people that want sets, get sets.

Given these two things, there's no way to make any guarantees for completing a set of artist cards. But at least, it encourages trading and hopefully, the people with extras will offer these at a reasonable price to forum members. We have to rely on goodwill here.

On a related topic, I've given lots of thought to the best way to offer postcard sets, one of them being an advance notice to mailing list members. The problem with this idea is that anyone who wants to join the mailing list is welcome, whether they're collectors, dealers or something in between. So, unfortunately, we'll probably always have those people who try to flip a bunch of sets. In my opinion, the only way to control it is to block those individuals caught buying more than the allotted number of sets (no easy feat, since most buyers have family and friends they can ask). Someday,we may find the perfect balance but for now, we have to rely on collectors to report anyone (that they can prove!) is abusing the system.

As always, I welcome your suggestions and I'll be reporting on the upcoming set soon -- hopefully, before Halloween! ;)
Just out of curiosity, how many people have been banned from buying ie how much success has there been in curtailing the abusers of this buying limit?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2011, 05:39:11 AM »
Interesting discussion. And one that's not likely to dissipate anytime soon.

Here are two basic points to consider:

1) Everyone who paints will be represented in the Postcard set's Artist Bio Cards, whether it's 5 or 50.

2) Limiting the number of postcard sets is a decision Topps made based on customer feedback. It the only way to ensure that most people that want sets, get sets.

Given these two things, there's no way to make any guarantees for completing a set of artist cards. But at least, it encourages trading and hopefully, the people with extras will offer these at a reasonable price to forum members. We have to rely on goodwill here.

On a related topic, I've given lots of thought to the best way to offer postcard sets, one of them being an advance notice to mailing list members. The problem with this idea is that anyone who wants to join the mailing list is welcome, whether they're collectors, dealers or something in between. So, unfortunately, we'll probably always have those people who try to flip a bunch of sets. In my opinion, the only way to control it is to block those individuals caught buying more than the allotted number of sets (no easy feat, since most buyers have family and friends they can ask). Someday,we may find the perfect balance but for now, we have to rely on collectors to report anyone (that they can prove!) is abusing the system.

As always, I welcome your suggestions and I'll be reporting on the upcoming set soon -- hopefully, before Halloween! ;)

I'd previously given up on a sketch of each title, and I've now given up on a sketch per artist, and I don't think I'm alone there.  My first suggestion is to NOT use identical, unsealed envelopes for the regular series.  Coincidence or not, none of the 'sealed' sets I bought aftermarket yielded a Parisi sketch, let alone a Lynch sketch.

I also think the bio cards are exacerbating the situation with the set flippers - with individual bio cards going for $20 apiece as they were last time, a seller with dozens of limited sets makes up his costs on those alone, and everything else is pure profit, even if the flipper gets a less-valued sketch.  I'd like to see the bio cards go back to a set in each postcard set.  I realize this might be a problem cost-wise, but I'd much rather pay an extra few bucks per set to Topps than to just reward people who are buying 50 or more sets and scalping us.

I will try to NOT buy anything on ebay this time, but it's tough when you're wondering if it will come up again later at a more reasonable price.  Hopefully it will be easier for me this time, as I know I'll never get the two sketches for the last set, and so my 'completing' goals are now much lower than they were before. 

Still, I'm very excited about the new set, and I'm eagerly anticipating some great new Wackys!!  I will continue to support the Topps releases, and I really hope I can order some sets!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2011, 06:35:31 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how many people have been banned from buying ie how much success has there been in curtailing the abusers of this buying limit?

I can't say if or how many people have been banned. Since this is monitored by Topps, they're the only ones who can answer that question.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2011, 07:31:16 AM »
I'd previously given up on a sketch of each title, and I've now given up on a sketch per artist, and I don't think I'm alone there.  My first suggestion is to NOT use identical, unsealed envelopes for the regular series.  

I appreciate your comments Pat! As far as your suggestion to avoid using identical envelopes, I've discussed this with Topps and they're going to use a different strategy in the future. It will probably mean using a different envelope for the limited and regular releases.

I also think the bio cards are exacerbating the situation with the set flippers - with individual bio cards going for $20 apiece as they were last time, a seller with dozens of limited sets makes up his costs on those alone, and everything else is pure profit, even if the flipper gets a less-valued sketch.  I'd like to see the bio cards go back to a set in each postcard set.  I realize this might be a problem cost-wise, but I'd much rather pay an extra few bucks per set to Topps than to just reward people who are buying 50 or more sets and scalping us.

I agree that the bio cards should be released as a set. I'm not sure exactly how that would work since the sets tend to be much larger these days, but I will definitely recommend the idea to Topps and see what solutions they can come up with in the future.

Again, thanks for your input and I hope you enjoy the new release. Details to follow soon...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:33:44 AM by koduck »

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
I can't say if or how many people have been banned. Since this is monitored by Topps, they're the only ones who can answer that question.

Ok - ask them to fill in the blanks BANNED: C_R_G__Y  :P :P :P

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
I also think the bio cards are exacerbating the situation with the set flippers - with individual bio cards going for $20 apiece as they were last time ...

I’m surprised bio cards command such a high price. I don’t understand why people like them. Although members have mentioned they enjoy displaying them in binders with regular sized stickers, and diehard completists would want them, I’d think this would be a small number of people.  I guess there is a high enough demand to fetch such prices.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »
On a related topic, I've given lots of thought to the best way to offer postcard sets, one of them being an advance notice to mailing list members. The problem with this idea is that anyone who wants to join the mailing list is welcome, whether they're collectors, dealers or something in between.

Solution: Send the advanced notice only to forum members, and only to those who've made a certain minimum number of posts. Say 10 or more maybe? That way the "advanced notice" actually benefits forum participants (isn't that the whole point?)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
Solution: Send the advanced notice only to forum members, and only to those who've made a certain minimum number of posts. Say 10 or more maybe? That way the "advanced notice" actually benefits forum participants (isn't that the whole point?)

That seems like a reasonable way to go. It doesn't guarantee @#$%* flippers won't get the info, but it should help. I'm sure Neil could do the same with the other forum and even send a few select emails to names he recognizes that aren't on either forum (just to give him more work to do).

I also liked the idea of a pass code. Anything to try to ensure the regular collectors get at least one limited postcard set would be much appreciated!

And many thanks to Neil for continuing to try to improve an obviously flawed system. The fact that we're all so borderline obsessed with obtaining PC sets shows the high esteem we feel for them, in large part thanks to Neil.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »
Anything to try to ensure the regular collectors get at least one limited postcard set would be much appreciated!

That could be taken care of with a subscription list, which was previously suggested. Everyone on the list pre-pays for one set ahead of time. The "No Wacky Collector Left Behind" subscription list.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
That could be taken care of with a subscription list, which was previously suggested. Everyone on the list pre-pays for one set ahead of time. The "No Wacky Collector Left Behind" subscription list.

I believe I previously applauded that previous suggestion. And I'll do it again  - great idea!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »

Sounds great. 1 pre-pay for the members, and an additional 3 sets as per the limit. So the list people would be able to get 4 sets. Putting the power back into the member/collectors hands. We here at the forum can trade to complete sets, and let the dealers choke on their high prices.

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »

What are the blank letters?  This is driving me crazy!  I'm guessing the first half is CARD, but what is the last half?  This way I can ban them when I look for stuff on eBay.

Thanks,

Michael

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2011, 09:44:03 PM »
What are the blank letters?  This is driving me crazy!  I'm guessing the first half is CARD, but what is the last half?  This way I can ban them when I look for stuff on eBay.

Thanks,

Michael

Hint: Fill in the blank with a male name.He sells a wack load of wacky related products including clothing.
His prices seem fair on the standard new series stuff.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:50:30 PM by CanadianClod »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
Is this a fact or your speculation?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:49 AM »
What are the blank letters?  This is driving me crazy!  I'm guessing the first half is CARD, but what is the last half?  This way I can ban them when I look for stuff on eBay.

Thanks,

Michael

Okay, I have it now.  Thanks.  I have dealt with him all the time and he seems to be fair on prices and easy to deal with so this is a bit surprising that he would be banned.  Curious!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2011, 05:52:14 AM »
I’m surprised bio cards command such a high price. I don’t understand why people like them. Although members have mentioned they enjoy displaying them in binders with regular sized stickers, and diehard completists would want them, I’d think this would be a small number of people.  I guess there is a high enough demand to fetch such prices.

I actually think the bio-cards are more popular than the actual postcards because more people collect trading card sized cards as opposed to postcard size, and getting the postcard art in trading card size is cool, plus the artist info on the backs.  Those postcards are a pain to display in binders too!  I have a system worked out but it requires fabrication to the sleeves and it's a pain.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »

As far as my knowledge goes Cardgarys has not been one of the buyers abusing the system.  He bought a lot in the first few series but that was when there wasn't a limit.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
As far as my knowledge goes Cardgarys has not been one of the buyers abusing the system.  He bought a lot in the first few series but that was when there wasn't a limit.
I am tickled to see CardGary's listing one of the series 1 sketches over and over on ebay with no bids at $99.  This is the title he promised to sell me for $50 "when he gets around to digging it out of his storage".  Then when he pulled it out of storage he decided it was worth more due to a momentary spike in a couple of the Gluttons running up the prices on them.  Now the Gluttons are done and the price has crashed back down to what it was when we agreed to the $50 deal.  All this while I had been regularly sending him customers who needed ANS stuff as I don't deal in ANS stuff.  I have sent him ZERO customers since so I hope he finds the Bad Karma and my swaying customers to purchase elsewhere as worth it....

Online Hustler08

« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:25 AM »

All: that was just speculatuion -just having fun - he had abused the first couple PC series with massive buys..he's been standup on his otherstuff -

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
I actually think the bio-cards are more popular than the actual postcards because more people collect trading card sized cards as opposed to postcard size, and getting the postcard art in trading card size is cool, plus the artist info on the backs.  Those postcards are a pain to display in binders too!  I have a system worked out but it requires fabrication to the sleeves and it's a pain.

So maybe the postcard series should instead be a set of 6 trading cards, with 2 postcards thrown in?  :toothy10:

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
Had an idea last time around to help people not miss out on the Postcard announcement. Never got around to posting it and thought I better get on it: Postcard Announcement Buddy System

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »

I enjoy the bio information on the cards and do find them cool, in a novelty type of way, similar to the mini stickers in the eraser packs - cute, but not very useful. (But now that I think about it, I have a mini Spite sticker on my Alumawallet, so I guess I need to rethink that opinion  ;D)

I’ve just heard many members here say how much they appreciate the larger images on the postcards so I chuckle that people would want tiny versions of them. I am under the assumption (possibly wrong) that the postcard series are aimed more at 40 and 50 year olds (than erasers, for example) so I assume us aging folks prefer big and bigger images, ie LTL

I hear you about struggling how to display them. I recently bought some oversized toploaders so I can put some of my favorite postcards up on my wall. Boy, oversized toploaders are NOT cheap!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »

Sounds right to me! You can also view the profile and see when a person has joined the forum and couple that with posts too. Because I think there are a few who just join to get info. on their selling practices and are not really into Wacky's. We could even compile the list for them to make it real easy, then it could be maybe - ? Brad certified? Since it is his forum and he will know if anyone is trying to pull a fast one.  :great:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:26:35 PM by Playbug »
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »
So, does anybody know for sure if they are really going to do a 2011 Halloween PC set?

Online Hustler08

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »
I enjoy the bio information on the cards and do find them cool, in a novelty type of way, similar to the mini stickers in the eraser packs - cute, but not very useful. (But now that I think about it, I have a mini Spite sticker on my Alumawallet, so I guess I need to rethink that opinion  ;D)

I’ve just heard many members here say how much they appreciate the larger images on the postcards so I chuckle that people would want tiny versions of them. I am under the assumption (possibly wrong) that the postcard series are aimed more at 40 and 50 year olds (than erasers, for example) so I assume us aging folks prefer big and bigger images, ie LTL

I hear you about struggling how to display them. I recently bought some oversized toploaders so I can put some of my favorite postcards up on my wall. Boy, oversized toploaders are NOT cheap!

I am with Dr. Pop - I can see STILL see small print well and prefer the cards too...but the Big Postcards are also cool...I hear ya on the top loader issue..

Online Hustler08

« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2011, 07:15:53 AM »
So, does anybody know for sure if they are really going to do a 2011 Halloween PC set?

Yes. FYI..Its been cancelled!!
(couldn't resist  ;D)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »

I'm all for that idea. In fact, I did something similar with the promo cards for the "Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day". I required that members had joined before a certain month, and that seemed to work out great. I will certainly suggest the idea to Topps, but it's up to them to put the policy into effect.

In any event, the postcards will be coming soon! So, keep your eyes peeled...

Online Hustler08

« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »
I'm all for that idea. In fact, I did something similar with the promo cards for the "Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day". I required that members had joined before a certain month, and that seemed to work out great. I will certainly suggest the idea to Topps, but it's up to them to put the policy into effect.

In any event, the postcards will be coming soon! So, keep your eyes peeled...

Dude,

I have my FAKE vampire teeth in and I'm drooling.. >:D >:D

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »
Dude,

I have my FAKE vampire teeth in and I'm drooling.. >:D >:D

Me too. They are getting ready to pull the plug (again) on the internet abuse here at work. I just hope they do it AFTER to postcards come out!   :'(

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
What is the bigger annoyance: Those who circumvent the allowed limit or those who claim they are interested in the set only to turn it around for a fast buck?

There are solutions to be had.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
What is the bigger annoyance: Those who circumvent the allowed limit or those who claim they are interested in the set only to turn it around for a fast buck?

There are solutions to be had.

I think if it was just a few sets being sold off for profit here and there it wouldn't be that big a deal, but when you hear about multiple buyers who don't actually collect and are networking between 50 to 75 sets so they can sell and make a huge profit, that is a bigger issue, and unfortunately that's what we're dealing with here.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
Then these people should be blacklisted. How hard can it be to find out who is abusing the system? There has to be a record of who bought what. Elongate that to include what numbered set they received. Do this for a set or two and you can make the determination of who buys for the enjoyment and who buys for the dollar. Between Ebay, message boards, etc.., we can determine (not with 100% certainty) who is on the straight and narrow and who isn't.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »
They are getting ready to pull the plug (again) on the internet abuse here at work. I just hope they do it AFTER to postcards come out!   :'(

Brian, are you an abuser? Confess your sins man   

:97:

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
Then these people should be blacklisted. How hard can it be to find out who is abusing the system? There has to be a record of who bought what. Elongate that to include what numbered set they received. Do this for a set or two and you can make the determination of who buys for the enjoyment and who buys for the dollar. Between Ebay, message boards, etc.., we can determine (not with 100% certainty) who is on the straight and narrow and who isn't.

you seem to be ready for a Lynching!   

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »
Had an idea last time around to help people not miss out on the Postcard announcement. Never got around to posting it and thought I better get on it: Postcard Announcement Buddy System

Good idea!
I have another idea, to add another layer of protection to make sure people don't miss out. How about a "Wacky Postcard early warning text alert system?" I can send out a mass text alert from my cell phone to anyone who is on my list. The purpose would be for those who may not have access to internet for whatever reason, can't check the forum every day, are not in a buddy system, or can't access their email from a cell phone, etc. As long as you can receive text messages, you should be fine. You would have to feel comfortable about giving me your cell phone number. If you're ok with that, I see no reason this wouldn't work. The only flaw I can think of is if I miss the announcement... But so far I haven't. Any other flaws I may be overlooking, let me know. Otherwise I can start a new thread with info and people could just start PM'ing me their cell numbers (don't do it yet though!).

anything