Author Topic: Do you ever get tired of looking at Wacky Packages?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Gen 4

• ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
  • ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
Do you ever get tired of looking at Wacky Packages?
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »

:) This is not meant as “blasphemy” but do any of you ever need a break from it? I get enjoyment from them but I don’t literally eat, drink, and sleep Wacky Packages.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: Do you ever get tired of looking at Wacky Packages?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »

:) This is not meant as “blasphemy” but do any of you ever need a break from it? I get enjoyment from them but I don’t literally eat, drink, and sleep Wacky Packages.

Well you should...NOW leave this forum immediately.... :] :] :] :] :] :]

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »

I honestly don't get tired of Wackys. Maybe it's because I have other interests and things going on in my life the balance things out for me and keep it fresh.  If the new series didn't come out after 2004 I would probably get a little bored just collecting the vintage sets, and i could see myself from time to time taking a little break.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »

Blasphemy, one of my favorite words. I wonder if it has ever been used on a Wacky. I don’t think anyone eats, drinks, or sleeps Wacky Packages, not even the artists. Jay might argue the point, when it comes to drawing sketches. I do get a bit tired of stop signs sometimes.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/ANS8TomBunkSketchCard.png[/expando]  [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Nutty.png[/expando]  [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/OgreEaters.png[/expando]

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
I honestly don't get tired of Wackys. Maybe it's because I have other interests and things going on in my life the balance things out for me and keep it fresh.  If the new series didn't come out after 2004 I would probably get a little bored just collecting the vintage sets, and i could see myself from time to time taking a little break.
I am not sure we see a lot of evidence that people ARE looking at the new wackys, seems like packs are being killed in search of borders and sketches.  I bet more people remember which silver colored border they pulled first over which base card they saw first....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:04:39 PM »
I am not sure we see a lot of evidence that people ARE looking at the new wackys, seems like packs are being killed in search of borders and sketches.  I bet more people remember which silver colored border they pulled first over which base card they saw first....

I try to look at them and appreciate them for each series, but initially after a new release you are right, as many of us are more concerned with what we get than the actual art/gags.  I like the threads when the dust settles that break down each title and what are everyone's favorites. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »
I try to look at them and appreciate them for each series, but initially after a new release you are right, as many of us are more concerned with what we get than the actual art/gags.  I like the threads when the dust settles that break down each title and what are everyone's favorites. 

If anyone wants to set up a poll for the fan favorites please do so. My travel schedule stinks so I can't get it done.

Offline Gen 4

• ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
  • ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:54:52 PM »
If anyone wants to set up a poll for the fan favorites please do so. My travel schedule stinks so I can't get it done.

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
 :85:
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:42:23 PM »

Though Wackys are only one of my hobby-interests, I can only say that they ARE the break.  Meaning, they're one of the fun things I involve myself in to break from the other things going on in my life.  Something as simple as collating a new series is a small escape from whatever stress might be hanging over me.  Perhaps that time allows me to step back and consider some other problem I was dealing with during the day, and find a solution in a new way. 

At least that's the idea.   It isn't all obsession and chase... it's hobby-relaxation. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:11:15 AM »
In the short answer. No, I never get tired of looking at Wackys.

The long answer...Wackys are a part of my daily life. From the magnets on everything metal around the house. To the still hanging calendar. I still say, " Honey, want to order a Donkey Nose " And the trail of stickers i leave everywhere. Its a 40 year love affair for me. :58:

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:25:41 AM »
I can go months at a time without looking at my Wacky Packages.

And, since I am confessing, I have not bought any ANS8 packs yet.  Yes, it is true.  Since I am dropping comic books come September I did not pre-order any from the comic shop.  I have not been out to the local Target or Wal-Mart to look for packs either.  I just don't seem that motivated at this time.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:17:44 AM »
In the short answer. No, I never get tired of looking at Wackys.

The long answer...Wackys are a part of my daily life. From the magnets on everything metal around the house. To the still hanging calendar. I still say, " Honey, want to order a Donkey Nose " And the trail of stickers i leave everywhere. Its a 40 year love affair for me. :58:

Just sitting here in my living room I'm looking at Wackys - there are Wacky magnets on the front door, a framed Wacky jigsaw puzzle, and a bunch of LTL prints on the walls.  And, I, too, still have last year's Wacky calendar up.  That love isn't going anywhere.  I still have a ton of LTL prints I've got to figure out where to display.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 07:09:16 AM »
I never get sick of looking at wackys, but I do regret that I no longer get the same feelings from looking at them that I did when I first re-discovered them. In those early days, I would frequently flash back to memories I had of wackys as a child, whereas now, I've seen them so many times as an adult that those waters have become muddied. :sad:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
I never get sick of looking at wackys, but I do regret that I no longer get the same feelings from looking at them that I did when I first re-discovered them. In those early days, I would frequently flash back to memories I had of wackys as a child, whereas now, I've seen them so many times as an adult that those waters have become muddied. :sad:

I'll occasionally still get a flash of that...like the memory of that magical moment of seeing a new colored wrapper and box at my Woolworths, or general store checkout isle. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »
I am right with Jason, Crackola, and Paul_Maul on this -- I do it for relaxation and the fond memories from youth, I haven't been as inspired to buy ANS8 (I bought a lot of OS2 for me), and I have lost some of the spark that was re-ignited when I re-discovered Wackys a couple of years ago.

I love getting the flash-back of feeling of excitement when I was a kid, and still get it from time to time. It's my raison d'Wacky as it were.

And then I have a bit of a love/hate thing going with some of the newer series because I ended up with so many extra base stickers that I have a ton of work to do to sort through them all! I still haven't properly sorted my OS1, ANS7, and OS2 stuff.

Decided yesterday to turn this into a relaxing project for a day or two off soon where I am going to collate some of my sets and rework them into different binders (I have eight (!) Topps binders sitting waiting to be used).I am planning on getting the card pages from Staples and re-doing a ton of them that are in the platinum UltraPro pages, which I have grown to dislike quite a bit due to the fact that they "curl" (how freakin' annoying is that?!?). That'll give me a chance to look at them all again and see where I'm at.

I've been meaning to go through my collection and put all my extras on eBay to thin things out and get back to a manageable collection. :)

But I'll always love Wackys -- one of my fondest memories from childhood that I'll never forget (along with Lesney Matchbox, Hot Wheels Redlines, Lego, and Tonkas!).  :great:

Offline Gen 4

• ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
  • ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
I can go months at a time without looking at my Wacky Packages.

And, since I am confessing, I have not bought any ANS8 packs yet.  Yes, it is true.  Since I am dropping comic books come September I did not pre-order any from the comic shop.  I have not been out to the local Target or Wal-Mart to look for packs either.  I just don't seem that motivated at this time.

I admit that I too have not bought any ANS8 yet. I don't understand why I'm not more motivated. On the other hand, I’m very excited about the thought of Halloween postcards.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
I get a rush rummaging through original series 1 binders at non-sport shows even if the big 4 are not to be found.  Seeing complete puzzles of Gadzooka still make me smile.  That set is my most nostalgic "toy" memory of my childhood.  My lack of the same feelings for the overabundance of new stuff hasn't changed my feelings about 1973 Series 1!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
I get a rush rummaging through original series 1 binders at non-sport shows even if the big 4 are not to be found.  Seeing complete puzzles of Gadzooka still make me smile.  That set is my most nostalgic "toy" memory of my childhood.  My lack of the same feelings for the overabundance of new stuff hasn't changed my feelings about 1973 Series 1!

I think it would be series 1-5 for me as the most nostalgic. That and series 11. I get the same rush. It's hard to explain but very cool!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »
I think it would be series 1-5 for me as the most nostalgic. That and series 11. I get the same rush. It's hard to explain but very cool!

Yep, I get that same rush too. For me it's original series 2 through 10 (and 6up from series 1!), with series 3 and 9 being extra "thrilling" for me every time I see 'em. Something about 'em just brings back that same feeling from childhood.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
Lately between the Postcards and reved up ANS series, I get the occasional bug again and then it dies down. Sketches and Golds make it an impossible task but you hope to score one in your lifetime- sort of like a lottery ticket.

One has to wonder in all 50 states that Topps distributes that all these little wrapped packages end up in such a wide coverage; yet we all have the same chances of getting something unique

anything