Author Topic: Wacky Package Postcards Series 7 Promo Poster  (Read 6848 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Wacky Package Postcards Series 7 Promo Poster
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
Greetings all,

Now that many of you have received your Wacky postcard 7 sets, it's time to mention a special promotional poster that came with your Limited Edition order. This "surprise" poster was the brainchild of fellow forum member Lance Michael and is inspired by the classic "Dogs Playing Poker" painting by C. M. Coolidge. The promotional poster features some of the popular characters from wacky postcard series past and present. What began as a private commission from Lance, I soon realized it would make a nice promotional item for the postcard set and asked to borrow the idea and modify the painting for inclusion in the current set. Lance was kind enough to agree and so I set to work on the new version. Originally, I had planned it as an extra postcard, but eventually decided it was better suited as a poster. I think the finished piece is a perfect compliment to the postcard set and hope you all enjoy it.

I'd like to extend my gratitude to Lance Michael for his generous contribution to the postcard project. Without his highly creative idea, this poster wouldn't have been possible. Also, a special thanks to all of the artists and writers whose characters grace the table. Their talent shines through with each new series!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:41:22 PM by koduck »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Wacky Package Postcards Series 7 Promo Poster
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
It looks better without the folds....hint....hint....

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:40:22 AM »
I have to make this quick as my emachine has an overheating issue......Neil, thank you for the acknowledgement,you should have at some point clued me in to your intentions.I did not come up with some historic monumental concept,just an idea that popped into my head when viewing the dogs playing poker art.I did not intentionally picked 1 wacky person from a group of artists/concept people,it just happened to work out that way and my recent posts were in no way meant to be self serving,before i overheat i will post this now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:23:19 AM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:31 AM »
Continued...........I am of the opinion this poster was never going to overshadow the postcards that come with this release,Neil apparently thinks this might have been possible.I mean this makes little sense to make a separate post regarding the poster,why make a separate post giving the limelight to 1 part of this release.Neil come off to me as a thoughtful, passionate about what he does person in other words he makes art for all the right reasons and I do prefer the larger images.
                                                     Thanks again for the kind words
                                                               Lance K Michael
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:40:10 AM »
Continued...........I am of the opinion this poster was never going to overshadow the postcards that come with this release,Neil apparently thinks this might have been possible.I mean this makes little sense to make a separate post regarding the poster,why make a separate post giving the limelight to 1 part of this release.Neil come off to me as a thoughtful, passionate about what he does person in other words he makes art for all the right reasons and I do prefer the larger images.
                                                     Thanks again for the kind words
                                                               Lance K Michael

The thing that makes the poster unique is that it encompasses so many characters. It represents a culmination of 7+ series of postcards and is important in it's own right. For these reasons, I think it deserves it's own thread.

On a related note, you're right: I should have relayed my intentions about the poster plans sooner. I appreciate your understanding and will make every effort to see that this doesn't happen again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:57:08 AM by koduck »

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
NeiL....... the poster looks very very nice however the folds do take their toll esp.the vertical fold.It's too bad the topps wacky packages postcards was not placed on the light fixture.All your add-ons are great the cat picking Klepto's pocket,the cheatah,Captain Moron bottle, and Wacky Wolf's bottle,I take it Wacky Wolf was having a rough night.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:22 AM »
Great job guys.  A hearty well done to all involved.  And thanks for the poster!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
Great job guys.  A hearty well done to all involved.  And thanks for the poster!

The poster is definitely cool!  I wouldn't mind having one without the folds to frame.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »
The poster is definitely cool!  I wouldn't mind having one without the folds to frame.

I third that! (both the coolness and the desire to have one sans folds...)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »
The thing that makes the poster unique is that it encompasses so many characters. It represents a culmination of 7+ series of postcards and is important in it's own right. For these reasons, I think it deserves it's own thread.

On a related note, you're right: I should have relayed my intentions about the poster plans sooner. I appreciate your understanding and will make every effort to see that this doesn't happen again.

Neil,  I just noticed my official Topps Wacky Packages Postcard binder is getting a bit full. Do you think we will see a new postcard binder in the near future?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »
Neil,  I just noticed my official Topps Wacky Packages Postcard binder is getting a bit full. Do you think we will see a new postcard binder in the near future?

Just buy another one. Im about ready to start my third binder.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »
Just buy another one. Im about ready to start my third binder.

What!?!? Two binders that look the same? How pedestrian.   ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »
I'm curious about how others are putting these sets in binders.  Postcard-wise, are people putting both a LE set and basic set in pages?  As far as sequence, are you putting the appropriate bonus cards and sketches immediately after the postcards, or separate?  I've got my binder set up with the postcard pages in front, and I've got both versions of Series 1 in pages, because the envelopes were different and I included one of each of those.  The later sets I just have one LE set, with envelope, in pages.  Never did decide what to do with the COAs and wrappers.  After the postcards, I have the sketches, and then finally pages with the bonus and bio cards. 

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 06:20:08 AM »
I'm curious about how others are putting these sets in binders.  Postcard-wise, are people putting both a LE set and basic set in pages?  As far as sequence, are you putting the appropriate bonus cards and sketches immediately after the postcards, or separate?  I've got my binder set up with the postcard pages in front, and I've got both versions of Series 1 in pages, because the envelopes were different and I included one of each of those.  The later sets I just have one LE set, with envelope, in pages.  Never did decide what to do with the COAs and wrappers.  After the postcards, I have the sketches, and then finally pages with the bonus and bio cards. 

I have mine grouped by release . So I will have any unique wrappers and sales posters for that release first. Followed by promo and bonus cards; chase items for the set like bio cards and sketch cards and finally followed by the postcards (both limted edition and non) for that series.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37:10 AM »
I'm curious about how others are putting these sets in binders.  Postcard-wise, are people putting both a LE set and basic set in pages?  As far as sequence, are you putting the appropriate bonus cards and sketches immediately after the postcards, or separate?  I've got my binder set up with the postcard pages in front, and I've got both versions of Series 1 in pages, because the envelopes were different and I included one of each of those.  The later sets I just have one LE set, with envelope, in pages.  Never did decide what to do with the COAs and wrappers.  After the postcards, I have the sketches, and then finally pages with the bonus and bio cards.  

I have my limited and regular sets together in the 2-pocket pages, and then the bio-cards for each series following the postcards.  I have all of the bonus cards together as a group now and not with the series, and all of my sketch cards are in a separate section too in order of series.  If they ever print the bio-cards for series 1-3, I will probably put all of the bio-cards together as well as one big set (fingers crossed on getting those printed!).  

Offline Porkie

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 01:31:15 PM »
I decided to do mine in a Fibonacci sequence, with two sets of series 1 followed by one set of series 2 and 3. I skipped series 4, and have one set of series 5.

Unfortunately, this means I have to sell all my series 6 and 7 items and wait until series 8 to keep them again. Then it gets rougher as I have to sell or give away all sets until series 13.

;)

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »
I decided to do mine in a Fibonacci sequence, with two sets of series 1 followed by one set of series 2 and 3. I skipped series 4, and have one set of series 5.

Unfortunately, this means I have to sell all my series 6 and 7 items and wait until series 8 to keep them again. Then it gets rougher as I have to sell or give away all sets until series 13.

;)

Simply ingenious.  But, what about the Halloween releases?  ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »
I have my limited and regular sets together in the 2-pocket pages, and then the bio-cards for each series following the postcards.  I have all of the bonus cards together as a group now and not with the series, and all of my sketch cards are in a separate section too in order of series.  If they ever print the bio-cards for series 1-3, I will probably put all of the bio-cards together as well as one big set (fingers crossed on getting those printed!).  

The reason I have the postcards in front and the regular cards in back of the binder is the difference in the storage pages.  I didn't like the idea of having 9-pocket pages mixed in with the 2-pocket pages, both visually, and for concern about the fact that the postcard pages are about an inch narrower - didn't want the cards on the right side maybe bending.  Now that we've gotten up to 8 series, I'm considering putting the postcards in one binder, and all the regular size cards in a separate binder.

I didn't recall the possibility of bio cards for series 1-3.  Was there a discussion of which titles to use?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 06:20:10 AM »
The reason I have the postcards in front and the regular cards in back of the binder is the difference in the storage pages.  I didn't like the idea of having 9-pocket pages mixed in with the 2-pocket pages, both visually, and for concern about the fact that the postcard pages are about an inch narrower - didn't want the cards on the right side maybe bending.  Now that we've gotten up to 8 series, I'm considering putting the postcards in one binder, and all the regular size cards in a separate binder.

I didn't recall the possibility of bio cards for series 1-3.  Was there a discussion of which titles to use?

I may change the way I do it too.  I don't think I'll put them in separate binders but I do like the idea of keeping the postcards separate from the trading cards. 

I mentioned a while back getting bio-cards printed for the first 3 series, because those were the only series that didn't have the postcards in trading card style.  It makes good sense, because you could have a complete set of postcards in trading card format for every series.  How cool would that set be!?  They already have the art for them to, so getting them printed is a piece of cake.

Neil liked the idea and hopefully he can convince Topps to do it at some point.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Simply ingenious.  But, what about the Halloween releases?  ;)

I treat those as Series 0. Means I get to keep 'em. :)

Seriously though. I keep my postcards in a separate binder and all the sketch, bio, bonus, promo cards in another. I'm always concerned the smaller postcard pages will cause folding/bending issues with the regular cards plus it's kinda neat (imo) to look at the postcards as postcards and the cards as cards.

BTW, since I picked up six sets of the regular PC7 postcards to get all the mini postcards (and to get the most of my favorite card in the series -- Cap'n Clunk -- which alas never appears in larger form), I am actually planning on sending some of the postcards as postcards to some friends of mine who are Wacky fans. Love the idea of actually using them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:13:46 PM by Porkie »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

I 2nd that!  My postcard binder is full!  I'd rather not buy a 2nd identical one if a new one is in the works.....
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
I 2nd that!  My postcard binder is full!  I'd rather not buy a 2nd identical one if a new one is in the works.....

Who said one is in the works?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »

No one... That's the question on the table for anyone in the know. Is another one planned?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »

Eventually, I think we'll get to a 2nd one, but it's relatively low on the priority list.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »
Eventually, I think we'll get to a 2nd one, but it's relatively low on the priority list.
Thanks Neil for the response.  And thanks Scoot for being on the same page.  :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:13:51 AM by Plastered Peanut »
Send me your borderless wackys!

anything