Author Topic: Gary / Head & Boulders  (Read 72276 times)

Offline bigtomi

Re: Gary / Head & Boulders
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »
The ones that made me laugh out loud were: ...
I like many of Gary's homemades, but this is the one that actually had me ROFL...the title still cracks me up.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
I like many of Gary's homemades, but this is the one that actually had me ROFL...the title still cracks me up.

That one always cracked me up too!!
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
Maybe Brad could set up a voting topic ....I like em' all.....my 11yr old son picks:

wackadoodle

« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »
i actually gave Gary an idea to work on..since he was passionate about making his own wackies and was a good artist and love to draw..."What Thins??" it was during my time collaborating with Neil Camera on possible wackies for inclusion,that inspired me to share with him. he did a good job on it..we also talked on the phone once..and we had a couple of interests in common one of which was wackies..i wish i had gotten to know him  even better on here and otherwise..:(  we did chat online a bit-on and off. i guess this was our one time collaborating  together on a wacky..

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:44:44 PM by wackadoodle »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #284 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
It is with extreme sadness that I have to tell everyone here that Gary has passed away today.  Rest In Peace Gary!  You will be missed by so many.

Just noticed Gary/H&B passed away, now he won't see ANS9 this summer...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #285 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:01 PM »
Maybe Brad could set up a voting topic ....I like em' all.....my 11yr old son picks:

You should be able to add a poll for voting. I don't know what sketches you have in mind. Go ahead and add one.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2012, 02:07:43 AM »
You should be able to add a poll for voting. I don't know what sketches you have in mind. Go ahead and add one.

Sounds good...time is in short supply right now, but when I get back from work this evening.  Might help Dave tip the scales with Topps for
a great memorial for Gary.

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #287 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »
You know, one Wacky that Gary did I'll Forget was the one that his daughter Katie designed which spoofed Lipton Iced Tea:
http://www.midaswelby.com/Head_and_Boulders/Leaky01.jpg
Hilarious job, Katie, and again, I know you can do this Wacky Pack Art job like your dad did. I believe in Ya!!! ;)

Pauly

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #288 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
He has a can of Teem in one of the pics.  How great would that be if Teem was worked into the Old School lot of stickers, maybe with a kid holding the can in his likeness.  That would be the ultimate tribute, to be immortalized on a Wacky.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #289 on: May 25, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
What shocking and terribly sad news.  It's hard to believe Gary won't be joining us on the forum, that we won't see more of his home mades, that he won't be trading quips and wackys.  My heart goes out to his family.  He will be missed by many, many people.  

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #290 on: May 25, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
What shocking and terribly sad news.  It's hard to believe Gary won't be joining us on the forum, that we won't see more of his home mades, that he won't be trading quips and wackys.  My heart goes out to his family.  He will be missed by many, many people.  

I believe that when we crossover to the otherside, we can do all that we could do here on this plane, plus so much more.  So, who knows.  He may continue his artwork on the other side.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #291 on: May 25, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »

That is one of my favorites.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #292 on: May 25, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
This is another one of my favs:

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #293 on: May 25, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
He has a can of Teem in one of the pics.  How great would that be if Teem was worked into the Old School lot of stickers, maybe with a kid holding the can in his likeness.  That would be the ultimate tribute, to be immortalized on a Wacky.

Gary did a cool parody of Teem:

Taz

« Reply #294 on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
Haven't been on much of late but to sign in and see this saddens me deeply.   :'(

wackadoodle

« Reply #295 on: May 25, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »
i forgot about these two..all i did was give Gary the ideas and let him go wacky..

heres one more..he did a real good job on these..Gary,,R.I.P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:26:35 PM by wackadoodle »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #296 on: May 26, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »
Very sad news. I didn't know Gary but am proud to be part of a community that is as tight and caring as the Wacky Brotherhood is. His Wacky's are very cool. Especially the Kiss ones.

Andrew

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #297 on: May 26, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »
My condolences to Gary's family. He was quite the artist &had a wit about him to make up that many Wacky Art cards. Thanks Dave for your idea to do a card for Gary. He is in my prayers.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #298 on: May 27, 2012, 01:32:09 AM »
Gary's obituary....

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Crust

« Reply #299 on: May 28, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »
Damn I just noticed about Gary....I'm entremly sorry for the lose of one of our Wacky brothern. U will be missed Gary!! I think we all enjoyed his home made Wackys!!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #300 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »
I am very saddened to hear of the death of Gary. I am one of the people that really believed him in regards to him sending the idea of Head and Boulders to Topps as a child. When asked about it Jay had no idea who came up with the concept either, so I believe the idea came from Gary. May he rest in peace.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #301 on: May 28, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »
I am one of the people that really believed him in regards to him sending the idea of Head and Boulders to Topps as a child. When asked about it Jay had no idea who came up with the concept either, so I believe the idea came from Gary. May he rest in peace.

I haven't heard that story before. Do you know if Gary told it here - or is it posted on Greg's board?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #302 on: May 28, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
One of my faves from Gary is below...

Offline Playskull

« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »
So sorry to hear this news.  I didn't know Gary well but I think he and I joined Greg's old forum right around the same time.  I remember trying to encourage him on more than one occasion not to give up on his mission to seal the deal completing the 1st thru 16th.  I'm glad he was eventually able to do it.  I also remember the pic he posted several years ago of him and his kids all dressing up as KISS for halloween.  He was a good and regular contributor to the Wacky forums and will be missed.  R.I.P.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #304 on: May 28, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
I am very saddened to hear of the death of Gary. I am one of the people that really believed him in regards to him sending the idea of Head and Boulders to Topps as a child. When asked about it Jay had no idea who came up with the concept either, so I believe the idea came from Gary. May he rest in peace.

Yeah, I never doubted it for a moment.  I believe he sent one of his home-made sketches to them and they liked it enough to use it. Considering how little artists were compensated back then, I'm guessing who ever decided to use it, figured they were doing a good thing knowing some kid would be delighted to see their idea made into an official Wacky.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #305 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I haven't heard that story before. Do you know if Gary told it here - or is it posted on Greg's board?

You have to log in to the old forum to make this link work, but here it is:

http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/messages.php?t=932&a=1&mn=1&stealth=

In addition, here are some pertinent quotes from his messages to me:

"I am afraid to say anything more about it in open forum but I vividly remember drawing it."

"it was the woman's head slightly tilted and even with the hair pulled up and also the rocky top of the bottle"

"Thanks for taking the time to reply with such a lengthy letter and thank you for believing.  I am glad that someone does....I did not really want to be in the spotlight but all my life, well since the time the 5th series came out, this was always something special to me.  My sister even remembers when I drew it."

"The Topp's company never sent the batch of drawings back to me that had the drawing for Head & Boulders, but when I sent some later ideas in, they sent those back and said they had their own staff of people creating the designs"

Great job on this Gary, where ever you are. You will be remembered forever by some that know you created this cool sticker!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #306 on: May 28, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »
Very Sad news...never knew him personally...but heard he was a true Wacky Brother...RIP Gary... :'(

Offline dth1971

« Reply #307 on: May 28, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
I know Gary's homemades of Quacker State and Sharkie turned into ANS entries in recent Wacky years but in different art than Gary's.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #308 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
I have done a few trades with him in the past, mainly on Greg's forum.  He was always such a nice pleasant guy to correspond with. Sad to see someone so young pass.  I will miss him.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
I just checked in after several days' absence and saw this--so sorry.  My sympathies to his family for their loss.

RIP to the man who may have originated one of my favorite Wacky designs.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
I've been away from the forum lately but I'm very sorry to hear the news.  I'll certainly have his family in my thoughts.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #311 on: June 03, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »
Ah crap, this blows. Gary was always the voice of reason when the old forum would explode. Hopefully the next level of existence is outside of time and Gary gets to see ANS9-100.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #312 on: June 03, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
It saddens my heart to hear of Gary's passsing. I know he put up the best fight he could. I have been away from the forum for a few weeks battling my own health issues. Not like, but similar to Gary's. A condition called Transverse Myelitis left most of my lower torso and legs paralysed, but this is Gary's thread and i dont want to take anything away from his attention. I will explain more in another thread if anyone cares to hear.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #313 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »
It saddens my heart to hear of Gary's passsing. I know he put up the best fight he could. I have been away from the forum for a few weeks battling my own health issues. Not like, but similar to Gary's. A condition called Transverse Myelitis left most of my lower torso and legs paralysed, but this is Gary's thread and i dont want to take anything away from his attention. I will explain more in another thread if anyone cares to hear.

I would like hear more. I've never heard of this. Are you doing fine or is something you have deal with forever? Start a new thread to discuss.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #314 on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »
Wow, so sad. My condolences to his family.