Author Topic: High Grade 1967 Wacky Packages like stocks?  (Read 30439 times)

Offline Wacky LBacky

• My Grandads made that Death Ray
High Grade 1967 Wacky Packages like stocks?
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:45 AM »
Just want to pick some of your Wacky Package brains. Maybe a quick discussion on the future value of high graded Wacky Packages. I know I sold an Amazing Fantasy 15 at a CGC 5.5 for around $6500 about 4 years ago. I checked the going price for it a year ago and same CGC 5.5 was selling for $15,000. Wow. But now it is asking around $10,000 for the 5.5 AF15. Still, That was an amazing investment for whoever bought it from me at $6500.
Anyways, I'm curios if the same holds true for high grade Wacky Package, I know nobody can tell the future, or else we all would be rich dudes, but maybe over the past few years they have been increasing in value? Not sure if there are any studies out there.
Thanks for your time.

-LBacky.

Offline jleonard1967

Re: High Grade 1967 Wacky Packages like stocks?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
Just want to pick some of your Wacky Package brains. Maybe a quick discussion on the future value of high graded Wacky Packages. I know I sold an Amazing Fantasy 15 at a CGC 5.5 for around $6500 about 4 years ago. I checked the going price for it a year ago and same CGC 5.5 was selling for $15,000. Wow. But now it is asking around $10,000 for the 5.5 AF15. Still, That was an amazing investment for whoever bought it from me at $6500.
Anyways, I'm curios if the same holds true for high grade Wacky Package, I know nobody can tell the future, or else we all would be rich dudes, but maybe over the past few years they have been increasing in value? Not sure if there are any studies out there.
Thanks for your time.

-LBacky.

Being that there are only a select few people that collect Wackys and there are not to many people that know about them. (As compared to the AF 15) I would say no.  Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.  I just do not see wackies getting the attention that the first appearance of spiderman gets IE.- Movies, halloween masks, the internet and pop culture.  If more people around the age of 40-50 would get nostalgic and want them, well then maybe yes, or if Heritage Auctions puts them prominently in their auctions then maybe yes.  As of right now in the present, I just don't see it.  I do hope that I am wrong in my assessment, (it would help me out), however I just don't see it.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
jleonard

Good point. Agreed that there aren't too many collectors out there as opposed to comics or baseball cards. I would suspect the price will increase steadily but at a much smaller increase, than the example given.

Offline Wacky LBacky

• My Grandads made that Death Ray
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
Being that there are only a select few people that collect Wackys and there are not to many people that know about them. (As compared to the AF 15) I would say no.  Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.  I just do not see wackies getting the attention that the first appearance of spiderman gets IE.- Movies, halloween masks, the internet and pop culture.  If more people around the age of 40-50 would get nostalgic and want them, well then maybe yes, or if Heritage Auctions puts them prominently in their auctions then maybe yes.  As of right now in the present, I just don't see it.  I do hope that I am wrong in my assessment, (it would help me out), however I just don't see it.

Very insightful. High demand for something rare, price skyrockets. Maybe I should write a Wacky Package movie. The opening scene would have a kid crack open a fresh 5 cent Wacky Pack pack at the local Acme store, pull out a mint Rats Crackers, stuff it right into his bicycle spokes, and cruise away with a flapping sound of the card in his spokes.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
Being that there are only a select few people that collect Wackys and there are not to many people that know about them. (As compared to the AF 15) I would say no.  Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.  I just do not see wackies getting the attention that the first appearance of spiderman gets IE.- Movies, halloween masks, the internet and pop culture.  If more people around the age of 40-50 would get nostalgic and want them, well then maybe yes, or if Heritage Auctions puts them prominently in their auctions then maybe yes.  As of right now in the present, I just don't see it.  I do hope that I am wrong in my assessment, (it would help me out), however I just don't see it.

Another factor to consider is future audience. I am not a comic collector but looking from the outside inl, it appears it is still a thriving hobby gaining more collectors as time goes by. I am not sure that WPs will add collectors at the same rate it will loose collectors in the near future. Most of us active in this forum are 50ish now. Statistics show there will be fewer of us still haunting the forum in 15 years. Not sure that we gain a hard-core collector for each that will "retire" from the hobby. I hope that isn't true. What do you guys think that frequent the card shows and can better judge the participation of younger collectors... will the level of serious WP collectors increase, stay about the same or decrease in the next 15 To 20 years?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:29:35 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
We are all on the right path.  "Awareness"  I go onto facebook and on the Topps Wacky Package site there are a lot of younger people (teens to early 20's) however they are interested in the products of their youth. (ANS)  A lot of them don't realize there were older ones.  If the "awareness" goes up then I can say we have an increase in value.  However with no "awareness" it is a dying hobby like the "Gum Inc" cards of the 40's (Superman, Horrors of War, Micky Mouse, Lone Ranger).  Those cards are worth some money but not as much as lets say the comics of the era because not to many people collect them.  Also if you could get the auction houses to recognize the cards it will increase awareness. 

Look at the last card show you have been to.. not a lot of people and all new cards.  I haven't been to the Philly show, at the Chicago Entertainment Card Expo done twice a year.  I only see new non sports cards not the old stuff. 

Another argument is EBay.  High grade wackys do sell for a lot.  But I did a search and it is alot of the same buyers and not a lot of new blood. 

I personally only collect for me.  Knowing that when and if I sell them (My kids don't want them) I will have to take what the market will bear. Unless they make a movie about Wackies that rakes in over 100 million, I feel I will have a smaller pool to sell to.  (since I am one of the few that looks for older wackies on EBAY)

BTW Anyone have a 1969 Sludgsikle they want to sell?  Looking for a better condition short or long perf doesn't matter - Joe

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:28:59 AM »
First awareness I had that there were older Wackies was discovering a pile of Wacky Ads at a flea market when I was collecting the 91 set.

Did not buy any, but the two that stuck out to me were Sailem and Guerilla Milk.
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
I would agree with the ideas already stated.  This is a topic I've spent a lot of time considering.

My opinion is that future values will inevitably drop, as they will with most nostalgic items that aren't ongoing (unlike Spider-Man which continues to reinvent itself for new generations) as the audience for them dies off.

I've devoted a considerable amount of effort to documenting candy packaging, but in 50 years, when someone looks at a 1970's Marathon bar wrapper, it won't mean all that much to them.  To us, now, it has a value and a power to return us to a time and a place.  Because of that, someone might pay hundreds of dollars for it.  But not in a generation or two.

I believe the same will be true for 1970's Wackys.  There WILL still be collected, but the amount of folks collecting will be greatlynreduced, with the levels of vintage product remaining largely the same.

It's the circle of life, I suppose, and thinking about it bums me out a bit.., but I don't think it's going to go another way.

Of course, if new Wackys keep being produced, the appeal will not diminish, but I question that trading cards and stickers are a viable entertainment product for future generations.  Perhaps Wackys will live on in another form. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:17:23 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »

My opinion is that future values will inevitably drop, as they will with most nostalgic items that aren't ongoing (unlike Spider-Man which continues to reinvent itself for new generations) as the audience for them dies off.

I would agree with this statement. I went to the Antiques Roadshow and had a bible evaluated that was signed by and presented to my dad by Roy Rogers. The appraiser was impressed, had never seen a signed bible by Roy and stated that it was a very good signature. In the 1950's, my dad and every other kid in the USA, idolized Roy. It didn't get much bigger than Roy Rogers. That generation is dying off or have other (i.e. medical) concerns than buying a Roy R signature. The appraiser said that 20-30 years ago the signature was worth around $200, now it is worth around $50...because Roy Rogers doesn't mean to our generation what he meant to our parent's generation. The interest is not there anymore because the target audience has died off. Jason is right with his assessment of todays collectibles in the future.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »
I think it's important to, when assessing the decline of these things in the future, to remember that joy is fleeting, but it's still joy.   So, while these things may not matter much in the future, they have the power to create a real joy now.   I mean, intrinsically, we all know they're just objects, but by seeing them and sharing them, they can bring us more than just dollars and cents. 

I can get a little bummed out considering the aspects of people eventually not caring, so I guess I'm posting this for myself.  But today, these things can matter and bring a lot of smiles to a lot of faces.

:-)

Jason
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
I think it's important to, when assessing the decline of these things in the future, to remember that joy is fleeting, but it's still joy.   So, while these things may not matter much in the future, they have the power to create a real joy now.   I mean, intrinsically, we all know they're just objects, but by seeing them and sharing them, they can bring us more than just dollars and cents. 

I can get a little bummed out considering the aspects of people eventually not caring, so I guess I'm posting this for myself.  But today, these things can matter and bring a lot of smiles to a lot of faces.

:-)

Jason

You're so right. Of course all this will eventually be worthless. We'll all eventually be dead too.  It's appropriate
in a way. A large part of my enjoyment of wackys is inextricably tied up in the futile pursuit of lost youth. That youth is getting farther and farther in the rear view mirror. We all keep trying to hang onto it, but eventually that grip loosens and the collective result of that will be what you describe.

Online bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »
The "value" of early series wackys will only begin its decline to zero about 30-40 years after wacky packages have completely stopped being produced.  It is irrational to declare that today's kids won't become nostaligic like we did and won't try to "collect" wackys outside of what they remember.  Almost all of us chased after diecuts and wacky ads yet nearly none of us "remember" them as kids but because they are part of wacky history, we had to have them.   This is one reason I have decided to just sit on my remaining stockpile of wackys as I can have some fun selling them when I am retired to the next generation of "us".
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
The "value" of early series wackys will only begin its decline to zero about 30-40 years after wacky packages have completely stopped being produced.  It is irrational to declare that today's kids won't become nostaligic like we did and won't try to "collect" wackys outside of what they remember.  Almost all of us chased after diecuts and wacky ads yet nearly none of us "remember" them as kids but because they are part of wacky history, we had to have them.   This is one reason I have decided to just sit on my remaining stockpile of wackys as I can have some fun selling them when I am retired to the next generation of "us".

Well, maybe... If Wackys were as culturally important to this generation as they were to ours, I'd agree.  But I don't think it's irrational to look at the situation.  Wackys are a part of these kids' cultures, but I don't expect them to become nostalgic collectors, anymore than I do all of you to become candy collectors.  Wackys, to our generation were MORE. 

It's a fact that they are not the same thing to the current generation.  They are not nearly as important in the overall scheme, to current consumers, as they were to us, back then.  So the effects of whatever nostalgia that might be generated from that, well, it may not be at all what we have experienced. 

In a larger sense, I also wonder about nostalgia at all, with future generations that can recall every day of their life via their iPads, as it's all going to be digitally available to them.  Nostalgia itself will change, and perhaps the need to chase it down and dig it up, the way we had to, simply won't be a factor. 

Offline Crust

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
Huh this is an interesting topic. I feel like I'm taking some college course on Wackypackages and pop culture economics.  :D But one thing i know is that there are alot of young people who would be interested in wackys' but they don't know they exist because they are not big trading card fans. Lets face it trading cards are not as popular as they once were,but i believe that if Topps makes a deal with an example would be mad magazine too advertise their products more, fans from other mediums( comicbook fans) might get interested.Another thing is somethings that are old live on because of a form of nostalgia. That nostalgia is from the kids of people who collected or remember something, that the kids themselves could not experience. For instance I'm a fan of some old pulp fiction magazines, because people like my grandfather were fans of them, but i don't remember a time where there where books like that. If fact with Wackys i got started into collecting because of a relative telling me about how they collected them in the 1970's.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
People will collect, and people will have a similar brand of nostalgia.  My guess is that it will be a much more unusual thing, with far fewer people.  And there were be countless Wackys for those few people to enjoy.  It won't be as competitive, and prices will drop.  Just like that Roy Rogers autograph.

You need only look at what was collected in the 1950's, and where those hobbies are now, to see the future. 

I could be wrong.. I hope I am, but I think I'm not.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:28:46 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »

I agree that there will be kids now that grow up and re-collect when they grow older, but I wonder whether they would start collecting the 2004+ series and eventually learn about the vintage series, and start collecting them as well.  That would help keep the values up longer.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »
Huh this is an interesting topic. I feel like I'm taking some college course on Wackypackages and pop culture economics.  :D But one thing i know is that there are alot of young people who would be interested in wackys' but they don't know they exist because they are not big trading card fans. Lets face it trading cards are not as popular as they once were,but i believe that if Topps makes a deal with an example would be mad magazine too advertise their products more, fans from other mediums( comicbook fans) might get interested.Another thing is somethings that are old live on because of a form of nostalgia. That nostalgia is from the kids of people who collected or remember something, that the kids themselves could not experience. For instance I'm a fan of some old pulp fiction magazines, because people like my grandfather were fans of them, but i don't remember a time where there where books like that. If fact with Wackys i got started into collecting because of a relative telling me about how they collected them in the 1970's.

I also wonder if new trading cards will even exist 30-40 years from now.  The trend is going towards digital for everything, and the younger generation of kids will be and already are to some extent more comfortable on a computer of some sort than having the actual physical object.  I wonder the same thing about printing since I'm in the business; will printed material such as advertising circulars, magazines, newspapers, etc. phase out in the next 25 years in favor of computers?  It seems to be heading in that direction, although it has been a slower process than I expected. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:33 PM »
This is one reason I have decided to just sit on my remaining stockpile of wackys as I can have some fun selling them when I am retired to the next generation of "us".

I'm doing this with my stamp collection.   Philatelic is coming back!

Online bandaches

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
Nope, it is not a fact that wackys mean less to todays kids then they did to us.  We current nostalgic wacky collectors are a puny percent of the number of collectors from the 1970s.  Not one single friend of mine from elementary school is actively collecting these and fact, of the 10 or so that i am still in touch with, they would all have gladly sent their collections my way had they bothered to keep them.  Very few people collected wrappers so declaring wrapper collector habits to trading card habits is irrelevant.  I bet more people would be interested in obtaining a toy from their childhood like strecth armstrong or evil knevil over amassing wrappers or other packaging from food they consumed during that era.

Some small percent of todays kids, which still amasses to a decent size number, will get nostalgic about wackys and will collect just like we did, there is nothing in place that suggests otherwise.  Yup past events ARE useful in predicting future events especially when it comes to human nature.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
Some small percent of todays kids, which still amasses to a decent size number, will get nostalgic about wackys and will collect just like we did, there is nothing in place that suggests otherwise. 

Ernie, in a world where newspapers may not be around in a decade, among other massive cultural and pop-cultural shifts, can you really confidently say there is "nothing" to suggest this won't change?   

I'm not saying its a certainty, but there is a LOT in place to suggest otherwise.   

Online bandaches

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Ernie, in a world where newspapers may not be around in a decade, among other massive cultural and pop-cultural shifts, can you really confidently say there is "nothing" to suggest this won't change?   

I'm not saying its a certainty, but there is a LOT in place to suggest otherwise.   
Yes, I confidently say it and I expect you won't be able to offer anything solid that suggests otherwise.  People OWN collectables, the ability to scan has been around for decades so your suggesting that the internet providing ability to find images will replace owning collectibles just doesn't make sense.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
Yes, I confidently say it and I expect you won't be able to offer anything solid that suggests otherwise.  People OWN collectables, the ability to scan has been around for decades so your suggesting that the internet providing ability to find images will replace owning collectibles just doesn't make sense.

Err....did I say anything about scanning?   The kids of today waxing nostalgic about Wacky Packages in 30 years might not happen for the same reason they might not be waxing nostalgic for Bruce Springsteen or rock-and-roll.  Yes, some kids are into those things, but by and large, they are not that important to them.  Among many other reasons.

But feel free to dispute something about scanning.  Since that's what I'm sure I meant.  ;-).

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »
Took me about 20 years, but I did get nostalgic about Wacky Packages.
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Online bandaches

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
Err....did I say anything about scanning?   The kids of today waxing nostalgic about Wacky Packages in 30 years might not happen for the same reason they might not be waxing nostalgic for Bruce Springsteen or rock-and-roll.  Yes, some kids are into those things, but by and large, they are not that important to them.  Among many other reasons.

But feel free to dispute something about scanning.  Since that's what I'm sure I meant.  ;-).
You babbled something about digital availability somehow fulfilling a nostalgic need....this suggests that merely seeing an image instead of owning the object drives nostalgic driven collecting.  I mentioned scanning being around for decades as a reference to image availability so I don't see IPAD digital availability being a factor.  Surely you can keep track of your own comments, correct?

Online bandaches

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
Took me about 20 years, but I did get nostalgic about Wacky Packages.
That is about the average.  I didn't think much about wackys from 1975 til 1995...I believe many of today's kids will do the same thing but Jason seems to think few if any of them will repeat the nostalgic human nature thing despite it happening over multiple generations already.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 06:07:38 AM »
You babbled something about digital availability somehow fulfilling a nostalgic need....this suggests that merely seeing an image instead of owning the object drives nostalgic driven collecting.  I mentioned scanning being around for decades as a reference to image availability so I don't see IPAD digital availability being a factor.  Surely you can keep track of your own comments, correct?

Oh, sure... I didn't mention scanning, but you're right of course, that's all I meant.   Great point, the Twitter generation will be wild for Wackys in 2040, without a doubt.   They will keep on truckin, too.  We'd be idiots to think otherwise.

And I'll keep on "babbling".  Wow, you're a disrespectful piece of work sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:10:36 AM by JasonLiebig »

Online bandaches

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
Oh, sure... I didn't mention scanning, but you're right of course, that's all I meant.   Great point, the Twitter generation will be wild for Wackys in 2040, without a doubt.   They will keep on truckin, too.  We'd be idiots to think otherwise.

And I'll keep on "babbling".  Wow, you're a disrespectful piece of work sometimes.
Aw, don't take your ball and run on home just yet....you can be sarcastic with in response to my scanning post but I can't be sardonic?  They are really quite the same when you think about it.... :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
Aw, don't take your ball and run on home just yet....you can be sarcastic with in response to my scanning post but I can't be sardonic?  They are really quite the same when you think about it.... :great:

What? Sardonic?

adj
characterized by irony, mockery, or derision
[from French sardonique, from Latin sardonius, from Greek sardonios derisive, literally: of Sardinia, alteration of Homeric sardanios scornful (laughter or smile)]
sardonically  adv
sardonicism  n

Geeze. If I have to Google a definition I totally lose the feeling of a post....LOL
Are you doing the new word of the day training...HaHa

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
Aw, don't take your ball and run on home just yet....you can be sarcastic with in response to my scanning post but I can't be sardonic?  They are really quite the same when you think about it.... :great:

No, I was asking you a question and  attempting to have a discussion, but you responded to the question with a disrespectful, unrelated retort.  I like a good discussion, but I have no patience for your bullying.  I value the perspectives of others.  I'm here to learn something from my fellow members, if I can.

Btw, if someone committed the sin of responding to you by bringing up something you didn't specifically exactly say, as you did with "scanning"with me,  you'd crucify them.  I have seen you do it countless times.  But i guess its okay for you to do.  With you, it's all about how you see it.  So you don't need my participation.  

I'll have discussions with members that don't immediately dismiss my perspective as "babbling".  I won't waste my time trying to engage someone who seems to have little respect for opinions that don't mirror his own.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:43:41 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 05:44:26 AM »
Interesting topic.  It is difficult to to imagine that the second generation of Wacky Package collectors will have the same level of nostalgia in the future are many of us do now for our stuff.  I guess only time will tell.  I have two kids, 13 and 9.  I have tried for years to get them hooked on the new Wacky's, but they have little interest.  None of their friends do as well, which is dissapointing for me.  What seems to happen is they like them for a few minutes, then move on.  I think part of what might be missing is that it is so much easier to complete the set today.  When we were kids, a 5 cent pack was a lot of money.  There were only 2 stickers.  There were usually 3 double prints per set that it seemed we always got in a pack, and there were the occasional short print tough pulls that made it so rewarding to FINALLY get it to complete the set.  Sure there are chase cards today, but for me, it just isn't the same as completing the base set.  Now, it seems the base set is fairly irrelevent to many.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Kook

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 07:10:22 AM »
Interesting topic.  It is difficult to to imagine that the second generation of Wacky Package collectors will have the same level of nostalgia in the future are many of us do now for our stuff.  I guess only time will tell.  I have two kids, 13 and 9.  I have tried for years to get them hooked on the new Wacky's, but they have little interest.  None of their friends do as well, which is dissapointing for me.  What seems to happen is they like them for a few minutes, then move on.  I think part of what might be missing is that it is so much easier to complete the set today.  When we were kids, a 5 cent pack was a lot of money.  There were only 2 stickers.  There were usually 3 double prints per set that it seemed we always got in a pack, and there were the occasional short print tough pulls that made it so rewarding to FINALLY get it to complete the set.  Sure there are chase cards today, but for me, it just isn't the same as completing the base set.  Now, it seems the base set is fairly irrelevent to many.

I think there are also many other factors that relate specifically to wackys that may make them less attractive (less significant) to today's youth. When we were young, life was a lot simpler & there were a lot fewer things that were demanding our attention. There were no cell phones, no ipads or ipods... no video on demand or HBO, a lot fewer TV channels & movies to pick from, and kids actually talked a lot more rather than texted or facebooked every little thing. I also feel life was a lot simpler, more innocent & less IN YOUR FACE as it is nowadays. When you were riding your bike around the neighborhood back in the day & could stop in at the candy store or 7-11 to get the wackys, it was much more of an event. Something to talk about & pass the time. The artwork was unlike anything else I'd seen at the time. The familiar product spoofs were (mostly) recognizable and funny, and the artwork made up for the products I didn't recognize or the jokes I didn't get at the time. Today, I think these would barely be a blip on most kids' radar. Just my opinion. I guess we'll find out in 2032...

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 07:59:32 AM »
I think there are also many other factors that relate specifically to wackys that may make them less attractive (less significant) to today's youth. When we were young, life was a lot simpler & there were a lot fewer things that were demanding our attention. There were no cell phones, no ipads or ipods... no video on demand or HBO, a lot fewer TV channels & movies to pick from, and kids actually talked a lot more rather than texted or facebooked every little thing. I also feel life was a lot simpler, more innocent & less IN YOUR FACE as it is nowadays. When you were riding your bike around the neighborhood back in the day & could stop in at the candy store or 7-11 to get the wackys, it was much more of an event. Something to talk about & pass the time. The artwork was unlike anything else I'd seen at the time. The familiar product spoofs were (mostly) recognizable and funny, and the artwork made up for the products I didn't recognize or the jokes I didn't get at the time. Today, I think these would barely be a blip on most kids' radar. Just my opinion. I guess we'll find out in 2032...
KIDS HAVE KOOLER THINGS TO DO NOWADAYS THAN SIT AROUND AND COLLECT CARDS!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »

When you mention getting Wackys when we were kids was an "event", my best friend and I would ride our bikes to this plaza and go to a place called Valley Pharmacy.  They had the Wackys there, as well as motorcycle and hot rod magazines that we used to get, and we would hang there for at least 1/2 hour.  My memory is that the ride to and from the store was part of the fun.  We weren't allowed to go on main roads with our bikes, but we knew how to connect the side streets and then get to a nice trail that used to be railroad tracks, and it would take us right to the plaza.  The trail was very scenic, and it went behind a motorcycle dealership which we would always stop at to check out the bikes.  The whole thing was like an adventure!  Today the parents just drive their kids to the store and a lot of the fun is taken out of it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »
When you mention getting Wackys when we were kids was an "event", my best friend and I would ride our bikes to this plaza and go to a place called Valley Pharmacy.  They had the Wackys there, as well as motorcycle and hot rod magazines that we used to get, and we would hang there for at least 1/2 hour.  My memory is that the ride to and from the store was part of the fun.  We weren't allowed to go on main roads with our bikes, but we knew how to connect the side streets and then get to a nice trail that used to be railroad tracks, and it would take us right to the plaza.  The trail was very scenic, and it went behind a motorcycle dealership which we would always stop at to check out the bikes.  The whole thing was like an adventure!  Today the parents just drive their kids to the store and a lot of the fun is taken out of it.

Do you think collecting cards enticed you to go into the printing business?

Online bandaches

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
No, I was asking you a question and  attempting to have a discussion, but you responded to the question with a disrespectful, unrelated retort.  I like a good discussion, but I have no patience for your bullying.  I value the perspectives of others.  I'm here to learn something from my fellow members, if I can.

Btw, if someone committed the sin of responding to you by bringing up something you didn't specifically exactly say, as you did with "scanning"with me,  you'd crucify them.  I have seen you do it countless times.  But i guess its okay for you to do.  With you, it's all about how you see it.  So you don't need my participation.  

I'll have discussions with members that don't immediately dismiss my perspective as "babbling".  I won't waste my time trying to engage someone who seems to have little respect for opinions that don't mirror his own.
Just make sure you keep your facts in the correct chronilogical order....your sarcasm PRECEDED my Sardonic tone but you sure do like to play the part of the wounded one don't you....

Meanwhile, can anyone figure out what your point is?  You have made vague references to google, twitter, IPADs and the like without ever explaining how the mere existance of technology will cause people to sop collecting things of nostalgic value to them...excuse me for trying to make some sense of your vagueness with my reference to scanning(which was met with sarcasm from you).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:59:19 AM by bandaches »

anything