Author Topic: Just got back some nice PSA graded 1967 wackys  (Read 8371 times)

Offline Wacky LBacky

• My Grandads made that Death Ray
Just got back some nice PSA graded 1967 wackys
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
Hey guys, been having a great time reading all your forum posts. I really love these Wacky Package cards.

So I shipped off a nice package of wacky packages that I found in my grandfathers footlocker. They came back and I scored a Gem Mint PSA 10 on 2 cards (Corned beef hash and Coronation Milk) and a whole bunch of 9 on most of the other ones. Just trying to see if anybody has an idea on the value of the PSA 10 and 9 graded cards.

I'm pretty sure I want to hold on to these beauties but it would be nice to have a ballpark on how much $$ were talking here. Its tough to know because the PSA pop report says there have only been 5 PSA 10 ever graded 1967 wacky packs, including my 2.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

-Lbacky

PS: I also like to collect civil war shoulder patches, Edgar rice burroughs first editions and world war 2 field weapons and swords.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:02:53 AM by Wacky LBacky »

Offline jleonard1967

Re: Just got back some nice PSA graded 1967 wackys
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
Hey guys, been having a great time reading all your forum posts. I really love these Wacky Package cards.

So I shipped off a nice package of wacky packages that I found in my grandfathers footlocker. They came back and I scored a Gem Mint PSA 10 on 2 cards (Corned beef hash and Coronation Milk) and a whole bunch of 9 on most of the other ones. Just trying to see if anybody has an idea on the value of the PSA 10 and 9 graded cards.

I'm pretty sure I want to hold on to these beauties but it would be nice to have a ballpark on how much $$ were talking here. Its tough to know because the PSA pop report says there have only been 5 PSA 10 ever graded 1967 wacky packs, including my 2.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!-Lbacky

PS: I also like to collect civil war shoulder patches, Edgar rice burroughs first editions and world war 2 field weapons and swords.

You got to post a picture of the PSA 10 die cut.  I have never seen one and I want to see what the centering looks like on those cards thanks - JOE
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:07:42 PM by BumChex »

Offline Wacky LBacky

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:05:12 AM »
Heres the 2 PSA 10's. I can also post the PSA 9's I got if anybody's interested. I'm picturing a bunch of PSA dudes huddled around the work cube cheering and yelling when they hit these with 10's.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:37:44 AM »
Heres the 2 PSA 10's. I can also post the PSA 9's I got if anybody's interested. I'm picturing a bunch of PSA dudes huddled around the work cube cheering and yelling when they hit these with 10's.

If you are ever going to sell those let me know what you are looking for.  I know you said they are keepers (I don't blame you on that) however if you ever do let us at the forum know before you Ebay them.  I purchased some 8's and 8.5's in the 100-200 range.  I am not sure what a 10 would be worth.  Maybe double or more.  The difference to the naked eye is not that much (10 to 8.5) however to a registry set collector well thats a different story.  Thanks for posting the pictures and yes I would love to see the 9's also

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:11 AM »
If you are ever going to sell those let me know what you are looking for.  I know you said they are keepers (I don't blame you on that) however if you ever do let us at the forum know before you Ebay them.  I purchased some 8's and 8.5's in the 100-200 range.  I am not sure what a 10 would be worth.  Maybe double or more.  The difference to the naked eye is not that much (10 to 8.5) however to a registry set collector well thats a different story.  Thanks for posting the pictures and yes I would love to see the 9's also

10's would be in the $1000's to the right buyer. Look at what a PSA 10 sports card sells for. Doesn't a Gretzky rookie sell for a few thousand as a PSA7 but a PSA 10 sells in the millions?  Not saying Wacky's have that kind of value. I know of other sports cards selling high as a 10, like exponentially higher.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

-Lbacky

The 10's are worth a small fortune. It's impossible to predict, but if you are interested in selling them you should contact Eric Roberts at plastered_peanuts@yahoo.com. If he needs the particular cards you have for upgrades to his PSA registry set (I believe his name on there is bumchex, so you can check it for yourself) he can certainly afford them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:11:49 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
Here's a link to Eric's registry set:

http://64.94.212.248/PSASETREGISTRY/alltimeset.aspx?s=15719

You can see that he has a PSA 9 for the two cards you have in a 10. I'm sure he would be drooling to obtain your 10s assuming this is still a priority for him.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:49:38 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »
By the way, how nice are the backs? I know PSA doesn't penalize die-cuts for having dark backs, but to some that is a major defect, so I'm curious if you have a scan of a typical back.

Offline Wacky LBacky

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »
Ok, here are all the 9's that just came back. Some have the OC (off center) or MC (miss cut on back?). A whole bunch also came back at 8's and 8.5's.

I will also post a pic of the backs of the 10's.

So what happened is I guess my father or his brothers collected these when they were kids in 1967 and my grandfather held onto them very carefully in some sort of foot locker, along with pretty much every other baseball, football, comic book and non sports card from the era. I'm talking I was staring down the barrel of an Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four #1-80, Spiderman #1-80, Hulk #1-5, JIM83, TTA 27, Daredevil 1-30, plus about 2000 other comics from that time when I popped this foot locker. Pretty lucky my grandfather new to hold on to these things. I came across the Wacky Packages recently and thought nothing of them until I looked them up and saw they had value. And I really liked them cause they were cool. My dad had about 110 total. So I sent a few to PSA cause I thought they were in really nice shape and one came back at a 9 (the 6up). So I shipped most of them (55) to PSA and this is what happened.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
Unreal. Were the silver age comics in nice shape? I mean, it sounds like we're talking seven figures worth of value if the comics are even mid-grade. Are you planning on sending the comics to CGC? I love hearing about finds like this. Congratulations and I hope you and your family can put the resulting cash to good use!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
Amazing! Some people get so lucky and at least know what they got. Others would probably put them in a garage sale. You got a hell of a collection going there. I would get everything graded and then start the auction process. You can retire soon.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
Marc Simon just got a PSA 10. NICE!

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
Wacky LBacky

Cool story. Congratulations.

Offline Wacky LBacky

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
Unreal. Were the silver age comics in nice shape? I mean, it sounds like we're talking seven figures worth of value if the comics are even mid-grade. Are you planning on sending the comics to CGC? I love hearing about finds like this. Congratulations and I hope you and your family can put the resulting cash to good use!

Ya, I sent about 150 comics to CGC for grading about a year ago and they graded pretty good. The big boys were low to mid but later in all the series they started to become pretty mint. AF15 was a 5.5, spiderman #1 was a 4.5, FF#1 was a 4.5 the Hulks ranged about 5-7. The big ones were a FF#5 at 8.5, FF#49 at 8.0 and a bunch of Xmen in the 9.2 to 9.4 range. This is all off the top of my head. And I did score a 9.6 on a spiderman #49. And I have about 6 more boxes of these books that could be sitting at CGC 9.6's. I'm still beating myself up for selling the big boys of the comic books but I still have about 100 graded books that are very nice. Kept Daredevil #1, JIM84-90, and a Hawkman #1, Aquaman #1, and a whole bunch of sweet high grade spiderman, F4, Tales to astonish, Journey into mystery, Tales of Suspense, etc. Fun stuff. But now I'm just getting into the cards hence these Wacky packages.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Great story -- really neat to hear when someone has a find like this.  :great:

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

What's with all these PSA 6's I see on the 'Bay...are they really that desirable??

At what point does it really matter buying those overprices PSA's for any series...forget the '67 diecuts..

I see series 12 PSA 6-7 going for $12-15 or more...does that equate to an EX+ - what is it '8' and above most desirable?? Clue me in??

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
What's with all these PSA 6's I see on the 'Bay...are they really that desirable??

At what point does it really matter buying those overprices PSA's for any series...forget the '67 diecuts..

I see series 12 PSA 6-7 going for $12-15 or more...does that equate to an EX+ - what is it '8' and above most desirable?? Clue me in??

Its so they can say they have the best set.  It started with baseball cards and is trying to make its way into non-sports cards.  I agree with you the die cuts I can see it.  but a common series 12 no way. not unless it is a 9 or a 10.  but the people sending the cards in think that the cards should be a high grade and are suprised as to what the card is in realality.  Hence we have a lot of 6's and 7's when before they were graded the person thought that it was a 9 or a 10

Offline Wacky LBacky

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
Its so they can say they have the best set.  It started with baseball cards and is trying to make its way into non-sports cards.  I agree with you the die cuts I can see it.  but a common series 12 no way. not unless it is a 9 or a 10.  but the people sending the cards in think that the cards should be a high grade and are suprised as to what the card is in realality.  Hence we have a lot of 6's and 7's when before they were graded the person thought that it was a 9 or a 10

Of all the cards I sent I got a few 5's and 6's. I'm thinking i'm just gonna keep them even if their doubles cause I'de rather have 'em than $15. Ya know what I'm saying. One of them looks like it should be an 8 or 9 but if you tilt it in the light its got that wax pack gunk on the surface. I think that stuff kills the grade, beware.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
Even at a PSA 5 or 6 it's still a hell of a lot better than what people are selling claiming to be NM. I think most of us would be very happy with cards in that grade range. To most people those cards to the naked eye are NM and most are pretty nice. I sent in a whole set of series 13's a while back and thought they would all get either 7's or higher. They all came back as 6's. I was so bummed. I looked a bit closer at each card and they still looked fantastic. One thing I didn't notice was the roller marks on each card and they docked me 1 or 2 points for each card because of this. You can't really see the roller marks unless you tilt them in the light. But that is the way it goes. Still a very nice set except for roller marks. Picky bastards ;)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Even at a PSA 5 or 6 it's still a hell of a lot better than what people are selling claiming to be NM. I think most of us would be very happy with cards in that grade range. To most people those cards to the naked eye are NM and most are pretty nice. I sent in a whole set of series 13's a while back and thought they would all get either 7's or higher. They all came back as 6's. I was so bummed. I looked a bit closer at each card and they still looked fantastic. One thing I didn't notice was the roller marks on each card and they docked me 1 or 2 points for each card because of this. You can't really see the roller marks unless you tilt them in the light. But that is the way it goes. Still a very nice set except for roller marks. Picky bastards ;)

As you say, it all depends on why the card is downgraded. I think PSA is stupid for penalizing roller marks so heavily because for series 7-14 or so they are nearly unavoidable. But the average card grading 5 or 6 for corner or surface wear is not that nice, it's maybe a little above average at best. Such grades are very desirable for, say, a 1952 Topps baseball set, but for mid-series wackys a PSA 5 or 6 is not worth the grading fee.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
but for mid-series wackys a PSA 5 or 6 is not worth the grading fee.

No, I meant to buy them off eBay as PSA 6's you will probably be happy with the card.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »
No, I meant to buy them off eBay as PSA 6's you will probably be happy with the card.

I've done that before and it's the only way I would buy a PSA card.  If I can find a 6 that looks like it should have got a better grade sometimes it's not that bad of a deal, and I just crack open the ugly case and take the card out.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)