Author Topic: What the @#$%&^*!  (Read 10672 times)

Offline chickenfat2010

What the @#$%&^*!
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
OK look,

I love Jay Lynch as much as or more then any other Wacky Pack fan: he is an inceptor who has been a key member since the inception, no pun, of Wacky Packs, and he is awesome thru present day in the case of his involvement with wackies ie the Wacky Packs Abrams hardcover books, the brand new series 7 postcard art and of course his AWESOME sketches since Old School 1 including that particular series and the ANS7 super rare "one in 2140 packs" sketches, all of this except the WACK (not wacky...ie I mean ebonics for disappointing) PRE-SKETCHED OLD SCHOOL 2 SKETCHES. I don't like at all the pre-filled in blue lines that you can see in most of these sketches and I don't like the entire concept behind it. Now Jay, who truly and honestly without being PC or corny is a genuis icon and a major tour de force for the entire sub-culture called WACKIES, has already more then made up for it with his balls to the wall awesome and unique (almost 1970's DC PLOP like) Postcard series 7 sketches .....but the pre-drawn Jay Lynch Old School 2 sketch concept sucks and I hope is NEVER repeated. The only reason that I am finally having the chutzpah to voice this in the forum is that The Topps Vault currently has the frigging nerve to sell these frick-face original art sktech gyp outlines as:

"2011 Topps Wacky Packages Old School Series #2 Sketch Card Character Line Art #6! This exclusive eBay auction features the one-of-a-kind B&W line art used in the process of creating one of twenty different Jay Lynch 2011 Topps Wacky Packages Old School Series #2 sketch cards. Mini art board measures approx. 4" X 4" in size and is in excellent condition. Mr. Lynch fashioned each of his 20-different sketch cards utilizing line art like the piece offered here. A cool collectible indeed! We have assigned a number to this lot for classification purposes only. All Topps Vault auction lots come with a certificate of authenticity. Collectors, be sure to visit out our other sports and pop culture auctions on eBay!"

Annoyed, Fatso

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
Re: What the @#$%&^*!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:22:28 PM »
Those are the things I drew that were printed on the cards in light blue before I inked 'em.
Don't worry, though.  I don't plan to do any more of those blue line things.  Now I am working obsessively on my return cards from the postcard series.  Each one will take me several days to do. The first one I will put on ebay tomorrow evening...if it is finished by then.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
OK look,

I love Jay Lynch as much as or more then any other Wacky Pack fan: he is an inceptor who has been a key member since the inception, no pun, of Wacky Packs, and he is awesome thru present day in the case of his involvement with wackies ie the Wacky Packs Abrams hardcover books, the brand new series 7 postcard art and of course his AWESOME sketches since Old School 1 including that particular series and the ANS7 super rare "one in 2140 packs" sketches, all of this except the WACK (not wacky...ie I mean ebonics for disappointing) PRE-SKETCHED OLD SCHOOL 2 SKETCHES. I don't like at all the pre-filled in blue lines that you can see in most of these sketches and I don't like the entire concept behind it. Now Jay, who truly and honestly without being PC or corny is a genuis icon and a major tour de force for the entire sub-culture called WACKIES, has already more then made up for it with his balls to the wall awesome and unique (almost 1970's DC PLOP like) Postcard series 7 sketches .....but the pre-drawn Jay Lynch Old School 2 sketch concept sucks and I hope is NEVER repeated. The only reason that I am finally having the chutzpah to voice this in the forum is that The Topps Vault currently has the frigging nerve to sell these frick-face original art sktech gyp outlines as:

"2011 Topps Wacky Packages Old School Series #2 Sketch Card Character Line Art #6! This exclusive eBay auction features the one-of-a-kind B&W line art used in the process of creating one of twenty different Jay Lynch 2011 Topps Wacky Packages Old School Series #2 sketch cards. Mini art board measures approx. 4" X 4" in size and is in excellent condition. Mr. Lynch fashioned each of his 20-different sketch cards utilizing line art like the piece offered here. A cool collectible indeed! We have assigned a number to this lot for classification purposes only. All Topps Vault auction lots come with a certificate of authenticity. Collectors, be sure to visit out our other sports and pop culture auctions on eBay!"

Annoyed, Fatso

I completely agree! He was a waste of talent with OLDS2. It was all about production. I think you have to unleash the reigns as they plan to do with OLDS3. if jay did his own thing with OLDS2 it would have sold out in a month. Now collectors are worried they will pull too many Lynch sketches if they buy boxes. The series wil sell out but big collectors have slowed down worried they will get a case of Jays sketches. It's sad in my opinion. His one-offs with OLDS1 were fantastic. I know they learned from this experience and things will change with the next series. I hope!
Ironically, all I want from the PC7 series is Lynch sketches. He is so damn funny!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:44:12 AM »
"2011 Topps Wacky Packages Old School Series #2 Sketch Card Character Line Art #6! This exclusive eBay auction features the one-of-a-kind B&W line art used in the process of creating one of twenty different Jay Lynch 2011 Topps Wacky Packages Old School Series #2 sketch cards.
the crazy thing is, these pieces are the original art.
Watch out - Plan 9 is going to be all over these auctions and bidding the prices up like crazy in an effort to collect all 20.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:51:54 AM »
I completely agree! He was a waste of talent with OLDS2. It was all about production. I think you have to unleash the reigns as they plan to do with OLDS3. if jay did his own thing with OLDS2 it would have sold out in a month. Now collectors are worried they will pull too many Lynch sketches if they buy boxes. The series wil sell out but big collectors have slowed down worried they will get a case of Jays sketches. It's sad in my opinion. His one-offs with OLDS1 were fantastic. I know they learned from this experience and things will change with the next series. I hope!
Ironically, all I want from the PC7 series is Lynch sketches. He is so damn funny!

I'd be happy with a single Lynch sketch from PC7, but based upon what I've seen on ebay, that's not going to happen.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »
I'd be happy with a single Lynch sketch from PC7, but based upon what I've seen on ebay, that's not going to happen.

The prices don't seem to make sense for the Lynch sketches.  They are nice for sure but I don't think that's what's making the prices high.  There should be equal amounts of them as the other artists, but they are being treated like they are much rarer.  If anything the Engstrom Ruff's should command a premium, because it had to be done in less quantity since he did two titles for his quantity.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
The prices don't seem to make sense for the Lynch sketches.  They are nice for sure but I don't think that's what's making the prices high.  There should be equal amounts of them as the other artists, but they are being treated like they are much rarer.  If anything the Engstrom Ruff's should command a premium, because it had to be done in less quantity since he did two titles for his quantity.   

Here's my take on it. The Lynch cards are fantastic. There are a few that make you LOL. They are so funny. That is why people want them. It's kinda like the Parisi's from OLDS2. Just about everyone I pulled of his I laughed. It's not always about QTY and such it's about the sketch! His are also all different from what I have seen so far.
Just look at this sketch. This is fantastic and very unique. He puts a huge spin on his original wacky gag.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
This one is getting a little out of hand but I was the high bidder at $295 until today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320720894492

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:02:31 AM by BumChex »

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »

That one is special for sure! Jay didn't just lay down a sketch, he told a story. For me, with the exception of the OLDS1 color Pupsi, this is THE Jay Lynch sketch card to have. By far, it is the coolest sketch card of Jay's that I have seen.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
Here's my take on it. The Lynch cards are fantastic. There are a few that make you LOL. They are so funny. That is why people want them. It's kinda like the Parisi's from OLDS2. Just about everyone I pulled of his I laughed. It's not always about QTY and such it's about the sketch! His are also all different from what I have seen so far.
Just look at this sketch. This is fantastic and very unique. He puts a huge spin on his original wacky gag.

I'm sure that's part of it but I don't think it explains $300.00+ prices for a b&w. 

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
That one is special for sure! Jay didn't just lay down a sketch, he told a story. For me, with the exception of the OLDS1 color Pupsi, this is THE Jay Lynch sketch card to have. By far, it is the coolest sketch card of Jay's that I have seen.

Believe it or not, I think there are a few Jay cards that rival this one. Hopefully, they show up soon so everyone can see them!

Offline Fool-Aid

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
I think I may have just pulled one of those Lynch sketches your referring to Neil! I will post a picture when I get home. It looks incredible.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
I'm sure that's part of it but I don't think it explains $300.00+ prices for a b&w. 

I think it has to do with a few people actively pursuing multiples of the Lynch sketches.  If I decide to go for one from each artist, as I've done before, I'll have to participate in these bidding wars, and then I'll be contributing to the high prices myself.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
Believe it or not, I think there are a few Jay cards that rival this one. Hopefully, they show up soon so everyone can see them!

I also love the ones you did with the guy hanging up. I see Jason just sold it on ebay and I would have loved to have that one. There is another one also so may have to try and get that one.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
I also love the ones you did with the guy hanging up. I see Jason just sold it on ebay and I would have loved to have that one. There is another one also so may have to try and get that one.

That one I think you're talking about is a combo.  You have the Spikes chained guy with the Romaine hair. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
That one I think you're talking about is a combo.  You have the Spikes chained guy with the Romaine hair.  

Tough enough when they were combos of titles by one artist, but if they randomly crossover this way, I would think any hope of "collecting them all" is lost.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:36:15 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
Tough enough when they were combos of titles by one artist, but if they randomly crossover this way, I would think any hope of "collecting them all" is lost.

Yup, and if you add in the return cards like Engstrom one on ebay now that are often different than the set pulled ones it gets almost impossible. I'm just shooting for the non-return ones.

Offline Liquidfox

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »

Though this has turned into Jay's sketches from the postcard series are so awesome, I will still ask where was this tone of disapproval when OS2 was released and I brought up the cheesy blue line issue.  David and Jays were in quick defense  so people's opinions weren't swayed and to help ensure that product moved.

I suppose now that the dust has settled people are saying wait a minute....with these blue lines I could sketch this in under a minute.

Anwhoo for next online release some other WP artist will probably have mass production duty.

Now you guys can go back to sweating Jays sketches.  I'd say they are the best Topps sketches of 2011 thus far.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
David and Jays were in quick defense so people's opinions weren't swayed and to help ensure that product moved.

Yeah, that is exactly what happened. We spoke our opinion on it simply to move product.  :^) I forgot we are not allowed to have opinions on any matter regarding WP anymore since we work on them as well. That's a nice fall back line for you.

Anwhoo for next online release some other WP artist will probably have mass production duty.

Everyone working on OLDS3 is working free hand.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 01:13:59 AM »
Everyone working on OLDS3 is working free hand.

I was thinking of using rubber stamps.

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 01:29:24 AM »
I just listed this return card.  I forgot to put the word postcard in the description.  But that doesn't matter.  I should get a lot of bids from Spanish Inquisition enthusiasts.  http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Series-7-fancy-sketch-card-Jay-Lynch-/260811159580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb98e781c#ht_2288wt_101

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:36 AM »
I just listed this return card.  I forgot to put the word postcard in the description.  But that doesn't matter.  I should get a lot of bids from Spanish Inquisition enthusiasts.  http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Series-7-fancy-sketch-card-Jay-Lynch-/260811159580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb98e781c#ht_2288wt_101

That's incredible!!

Can you estimate how long this one took you to complete?

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:47 AM »
I started it yesterday afternoon.  I finished it a few hours ago.  But I also went to the store...mowed the lawn...picked some blackberries....washed the kitchen floor....So I don't know.  Maybe 7 hours off and on.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 01:45:44 AM »
I started it yesterday afternoon.  I finished it a few hours ago.  But I also went to the store...mowed the lawn...picked some blackberries....washed the kitchen floor....So I don't know.  Maybe 7 hours off and on.

Not that it really matters how long it took, mind you    :D   You have been productive. I'm just starting some laundry . . .     

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »
You forgot to feed fluffy and spooky,you know MEOW MEOW
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:55 AM »
Oh yeah...that too.  I fed the cats.  What else...I washed the dishes.  Took in the mail.  Then I asked the neighbor to show me where true north was on his compass app.  It turns out my house has no real southern exposure...so the only way I can effectively use a solar heater is to put it in the window of the garage.  Then I spent a good ten minutes or so pondering the practicality of moving into the garage next winter....

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 06:26:24 AM »
I was just looking for a Black and Decker Drill....and I came across this Masterful sketch...that is amazing Mr. Lynch......bid immediately - just wish it came with Bits.... :great:

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »

I am almost frightened to see what it'll sell for. And I don't frighten easily. Only elevators scare me.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 07:21:28 AM »

That is definitely one of the coolest sketches I've ever seen.  I may have to bid on it even though I don't need it! 

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
That is definitely one of the coolest sketches I've ever seen.  I may have to bid on it even though I don't need it! 
Deep down you want this card, you need this card
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
Deep down you want this card, you need this card

I just have to try to stop looking at it.  It's already over $300.00.  Wow, I just checked again and it's over $400.00 already!  We are in colored sketch territory now.  There are at least 2 players who REALLY want that one! 

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »

I love the way you refer to yourself in the 3rd person in these listings. Jay that sketch is ....... I'm speachless!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »
I just have to try to stop looking at it.  It's already over $300.00.  Wow, I just checked again and it's over $400.00 already!  We are in colored sketch territory now.  There are at least 2 players who REALLY want that one! 

The auction was at $1.00 when I saw it this morning, and it is such a fantastic sketch, I knew I'd have no chance bidding, so I just put it on watch.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
Really nice work, Jay. Superb. Takes the sketch cards to a whole new level and even gets me excited about them (I've kinda been on the fence about 'em for awhile).  :great:

P.S.  Dang! $759.99!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:25:30 PM by Porkie »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
For me, with the exception of the OLDS1 color Pupsi, this is THE Jay Lynch sketch card to have. By far, it is the coolest sketch card of Jay's that I have seen.
Very true that.  Is there a high-res scan of the OLDS1 color Pupsi in the annals anywhere?
Send me your borderless wackys!

anything