Author Topic: WACKY PACKAGES POSTCARD SERIES 7 - COMING THURSDAY, 6/23/11  (Read 67454 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: WACKY PACKAGES POSTCARD SERIES 7 - COMING THURSDAY, 6/23/11
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
Ah...  Thanks for the explanation.  I was wondering what was up.  Was the sellout time really 18 minutes?

According to when I first saw them go live it took about 1 hour to sell out.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
I just tried a different computer in my place and I can still get all the way through to checkout... And it hadn't been on the site yet.  Weird.

It's most likely some invalid or cancelled orders getting put back in inventory. If anyone still wants a set, I'd encourage you to visit the page throughout the day.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
Rebooted My Puter.....can get all the way to confirm....maybe some people still have some in their shopping cart from checking?? :-\

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
Just curious - any color sketches this time around?

a handful

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »
I just logged back into Topps site and they do not show sold out. It still lets you add them to your cart but I stopped there so I don't get my order canceled. It appears that there are plenty?

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »
Oh, Well....if they sold too many....Neil will just have to get back to work then...  :P

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »
I just logged back into Topps site and they do not show sold out. It still lets you add them to your cart but I stopped there so I don't get my order canceled. It appears that there are plenty?

Yea its working for me now...must be my cache...

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »

Just called and got a confirmation that a few sets (less than 20 as of this writing) are still available due to invalid/canceled orders.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »

I think if people are testing the ordering out to see when they sell out and add items to the cart, if they don't go in and remove them afterwards they will sit there reserved for them, which would prevent others who haven't ordered yet from ordering. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
Today we broke the previous forum record from July 2010 of 66 on-line at once.

New record: 82 - Woohoo!

I think we had about 53 guests on the forum at that time. A lot of lurkers and not members.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Postcard sets still available at this time - 2:15pm.  Just got my 3.  Thanks Neil.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »
Postcard sets still available at this time - 2:15pm.  Just got my 3.  Thanks Neil.

Looks to be locked down now!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »

We based it off of last year's Halloween set and 500 seemed to be a good number.

Wasn't the Halloween set the one that didn't have an "unlimited" edition release?  

I think 500 is a fine edition number, whatever the case, but basing numbers around that particular postcard release would seem be misguided, since the scenario is rather different.  
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
It says OUT OF STOCK at the website now. Sold out in less then three hours!!!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »

Yeah, after hearing it's been sold out for the last two hours, I'm finally seeing that message.  Three hours is a darned quick sell-out. 

I hope that the advance e-mail, and order limit, covered the folks (like myself) who missed out last time. 

I LOVE the apparent theme of this Postcard series, but don't want to spoil it, in case folks are avoiding looking. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »
Since Jay is one of the artists that means Jay painted a Wacky.  I know he's designed a ton of them but is this the first time he's painted the final art for one?

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2011, 12:12:23 PM »
I painted the HURTSEYS KISSERS one in one of the early ANS series.  So the postcard one is the second Wacky I actually painted the final art of.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »
I just got a shipping confirmation from Topps that the postcards have shipped. Whoo hoo!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
I just got a shipping confirmation from Topps that the postcards have shipped. Whoo hoo!

I did to. Mine will be here tomorrow early!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »

I got a shipping notice too.  No tracking info yet, but with luck they'll be here tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »

You suck.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2011, 03:06:41 PM »
You suck.
Hey, that cost me an extra $55 to get them that quickly. Anyone can do it. Even you could have gotten them for about $20 more. I think $55 will be very small in the grand scheme of things. These will be selling for over $150 on ebay starting tomorrow.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
Hey, that cost me an extra $55 to get them that quickly. Anyone can do it. Even you could have gotten them for about $20 more. I think $55 will be very small in the grand scheme of things. These will be selling for over $150 on ebay starting tomorrow.

I didn't look to see what overnight shipping would cost me - it was an extra $55 for just 3 sets??  Yikes!  I HATE paying a lot for shipping, especially when I also get tagged for sales tax on the shipping fees.  And, I don't plan on putting anything on ebay, so getting items listed there right away isn't a concern for me.  So, I'll just cross my fingers for a delivery tomorrow.  The tough part will be NOT looking here and seeing the spoilers before my sets arrive.

Actually, I find it quite sad that these will be on ebay at more than triple the price by tomorrow.  Wonder how many forum friend missed out on this....

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
I didn't look to see what overnight shipping would cost me - it was an extra $55 for just 3 sets??  Yikes!  I HATE paying a lot for shipping, especially when I also get tagged for sales tax on the shipping fees.  And, I don't plan on putting anything on ebay, so getting items listed there right away isn't a concern for me.  So, I'll just cross my fingers for a delivery tomorrow.  The tough part will be NOT looking here and seeing the spoilers before my sets arrive.

Actually, I find it quite sad that these will be on ebay at more than triple the price by tomorrow.  Wonder how many forum friend missed out on this....
I don't plan to sell on ebay. These will probably be all keepers unless there is a duplicate in there. I may sell some postcards but not the sketches.
I want them fast so I can prepare myself for what to expect when they hit eBay.
I don't want to wait a week to receive them so I had to overnight. You east coasters will get them in a day or so. Someone told me overnight shipping in your area is about $30 so compare that to $10 that you paid plus you are guaranteed to have them tomorrow otherwise they may not ship until tomorrow and then you have to wait all weekend.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
No email yet, probably because I ordered them around 8 minutes after 12 due to them not coming up on the search page. Only after seeing the link here did I have success. Also, I am out of town tomorrow thru Tues so it will be torture to not see them or start trading for the bios untill tuesday. I hope I can still make a bio trade on Tues night. No internet where I am going.  very glad they went on sale today and not tomorrow. I feel like we were treated very well in this sale and it was not announced days early to keep the scalpers from taking complete control of this release. I am very psyched about the theme of this release.

Regards,  DrDeal

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »

Did anyone notice that the sketch card shown on the Topps site has more space for the drawings than the prior postcard series?  They have quite a bit more space to work with, similar to the Old School format.  It's been fun watching the progression of these sketch cards.  If that sketch they show in their website image is any indication they could be the best series yet.  That sketch is awesome.  I don't know who Pat C. is but the other artists are all solid, so I can't wait to see the sketches.  No Smokin Joe this time though.   :'(

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »

Guess I got real lucky, ordered and got confirmation of the order at 2:45pm ET. After that went back to the site and it then said, "sold out".
I thought this might be that the site was set up to only allow someone's internet address to checkout one time for the limitation reason.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
I don't plan to sell on ebay. These will probably be all keepers unless there is a duplicate in there. I may sell some postcards but not the sketches.
I don't want to wait a week to receive them so I had to overnight. You east coasters will get them in a day or so. Someone told me overnight shipping in your area is about $30 so compare that to $10 that you paid plus you are guaranteed to have them tomorrow otherwise they may not ship until tomorrow and then you have to wait all weekend.

I didn't think you were planning on selling your sets on ebay.  And, if you end up with a duplicate sketch, you might do better to wait for a trade here.  With regular delivery sets not arriving until next week, it might be hard to tell which ones on ebay this weekend are 'tough.'

No UPS tracking info for me yet, so looks like I'll have to wait all weekend. Still, I'd rather put that $20 towards a couple of regular sets, assuming those come with a different bonus card. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:51:31 PM by RawGoo »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »
This will be my first Postcard set ever so waiting the weekend will be hard. I figured 42+ for shipping overnight was not worth it also. I will put that money into another box of OS.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2011, 05:02:41 PM »
So you are more interested in what these will fetch on ebay tomorrow versus actually looking at the product for the first time tomorrow?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
"I don't plan to sell on ebay. 
I want them fast so I can prepare myself for what to expect when they hit eBay."

:a102:
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
                                                                     I feel like we were treated very well

[/quote]I would like everyone who reads this 2 know the inspiration for the poster art is a painting NeiL recently painted for me.I found out a short time ago I will be getting no credit for this what so ever.Probably 4 monthes ago I searched the poker dog art and the thought hit me,replace the dogs with wacky packages characters so I shared my idea with NeiL,who was available at the time,NeiL did the rough sketch then painted the art which i have officially owned since May 4th.Now, my painting is slightly different from the poster,my painting has Alfred b Neuman at the table,Alfred was replaced by Cinder Bear for the poster,the other change involves the "art" being lifted by the Tombs burgler these are the 2 main changes.So apparently the Topps guy can change 2 things and then it's his baby,well i want you to know i searched the poker dog art when the concept came 2 me,i chose which characters were at the table,i asked NeiL if their was room on the back wall showing the Tombs burgler lifting the "art" and suggested to make the chair backs lower so they would not get in the way and the Dork's 4 aces poker hand.Neil's contributions are over 100 hours put into this painting,the 9 lives cat stealing from the Klepto guy,the cat clock on the back wall,the cheatah under the table and the Captain Moron bottle,hopefully i am not forgetting anything.One and most likely two of us were not treated very well!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
                                                                     I feel like we were treated very well

I would like everyone who reads this 2 know the inspiration for the poster art is a painting NeiL recently painted for me.I found out a short time ago I will be getting no credit for this what so ever.Probably 4 monthes ago I searched the poker dog art and the thought hit me,replace the dogs with wacky packages characters so I shared my idea with NeiL,who was available at the time,NeiL did the rough sketch then painted the art which i have officially owned since May 4th.Now, my painting is slightly different from the poster,my painting has Alfred b Neuman at the table,Alfred was replaced by Cinder Bear for the poster,the other change involves the "art" being lifted by the Tombs burgler these are the 2 main changes.So apparently the Topps guy can change 2 things and then it's his baby,well i want you to know i searched the poker dog art when the concept came 2 me,i chose which characters were at the table,i asked NeiL if their was room on the back wall showing the Tombs burgler lifting the "art" and suggested to make the chair backs lower so they would not get in the way and the Dork's 4 aces poker hand.Neil's contributions are over 100 hours put into this painting,the 9 lives cat stealing from the Klepto guy,the cat clock on the back wall,the cheatah under the table and the Captain Moron bottle,hopefully i am not forgetting anything.One and most likely two of us were not treated very well!

That's too bad.

Think how C.M. Coolidge, Brown & Bigelow, Mad magazine, and all the folks that have aped the Dogs Playing Poker piece must feel...

I'm sure the guy who came up with Wolverine's playing poker must be offended about Topps ripping off his rip-off...

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/03/forget-dogs-wolverines-can-pla.php

Yes, aping the "Dogs Playing Poker" image is not a new or original idea...  but it can be a fun one. 

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
                                        quote author=JasonLiebig link=topic=1340.msg31295#msg31295 date=1308877253
So were all crystal,I am not claiming to have come up with a great original idea.I had to make a post letting whomever know this was my idea i shared with Neil,how else am i going to get a little bit of credit for this art i got the feeling Neil was not going to mention anything.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
                                        quote author=JasonLiebig link=topic=1340.msg31295#msg31295 date=1308877253
So were all crystal,I am not claiming to have come up with a great original idea.I had to make a post letting whomever know this was my idea i shared with Neil,how else am i going to get a little bit of credit for this art i got the feeling Neil was not going to mention anything.

It's a fun idea.  Good for you!

anything