Author Topic: Update forum software  (Read 3779 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Update forum software
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
Guys,
SMF just released version 2.0. I don't have any details on what the main differences between the software is off hand other then it's a new release.
I'm wondering if I really need to go through with the upgrade and keep things status quo. Everything is working just fine.
My biggest fear is the mods that I have installed. They will all go away and then I need to figure out which ones we used and which ones are compatible.
What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Taz

Re: Update forum software
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
Guys,
SMF just released version 2.0. I don't have any details on what the main differences between the software is off hand other then it's a new release.
I'm wondering if I really need to go through with the upgrade and keep things status quo. Everything is working just fine.
My biggest fear is the mods that I have installed. They will all go away and then I need to figure out which ones we used and which ones are compatible.

I don't think upgrading to every new release is needed therefore I say let it be as is for now.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
Guys,

Kind of hard to say without knowing the differences in the software, but my instinct is to let some other sites try it first.  Seems like we're doing fine with the version you're using, so unless there's a specific improvement or enhancement to be gained, why mess with things?  Meanwhile, you can take your time to figure out which mods we use and what's compatible.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
Kind of hard to say without knowing the differences in the software, but my instinct is to let some other sites try it first.  Seems like we're doing fine with the version you're using, so unless there's a specific improvement or enhancement to be gained, why mess with things?  Meanwhile, you can take your time to figure out which mods we use and what's compatible.
It's actually been in beta for about 2 years with several thousand people using it already. I wish I could see a list of features. There probably is one but I will have to do some searching tomorrow.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
I run a small gaming site and have been debating the same thing for a while. Have come to the conclusion that unless there is a strong need to upgrade, I don't, because of the same issues you listed (mods, CSS tweaks, etc.). I don't want it to turn into more work!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
Everything is working just fine.
best laugh I've had all day.

although if 2.0 doesn't improve the search functionality, there's no point in changing over to it.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
Guys,
If it aint broken, dont fix it, leave well enough alone for now.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:59:43 PM »

although if 2.0 doesn't improve the search functionality, there's no point in changing over to it.

I'm here for your amusement :great:
I really don't know if the search engine has changed. I have some of the changes are better security, more compatible with different databases, & better themes. Obviously more mods as well. Other than that I have no idea.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
I request the "free snacks & refreshments" mod, please. ;D

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:29:09 PM »

I would love it if 2.0 had better "unread messages" functionality. However, I can imagine what a PITA it would be to reload all the mods...

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
I say leave it as is.  Forum seems to work fine and be quick to load.  Don't see a need to change if the benefits don't outweigh the PITA factor.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
I say leave it as is.  Forum seems to work fine and be quick to load.  Don't see a need to change if the benefits don't outweigh the PITA factor.

I will leave it alone for now until there is a more compelling reason for change.