Author Topic: Wacky Packages - Appearances in TV, Movies and Media  (Read 26797 times)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages - Appearances in TV, Movies and Media
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »
Not sure if this was ever mentioned, but while channel surfing, I happened to catch a little
of that Nickelodeon show "Victorious" (no, I wasn't watching it, although there are a lot
of shows on there that are pretty cool). 

Inside the character's locker were several wackies, a little oversized, too.  I think Blunder
Bread was one of them.  It happened so quickly, I didn't keep track.
yep. I snapped this off the TV a couple years back to ask LTL if they were their wall stickers that were being used. never heard anything.
it was odd that they had the flashback electric green and hot pink borders on a couple.

probably good to post that pic in this thread though.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:53:56 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
Thought this was the best place to post this. While perusing the news online, came across this. Looks like a new book about things from the 70s and 80s called "Whatever Happened to Pudding Pops?". Take a trip thru the slideshow and enjoy!

http://slideshow.nbcnews.com/slideshow/today/whatever-happened-to-pudding-pops-43170212/

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
Thought this was the best place to post this. While perusing the news online, came across this. Looks like a new book about things from the 70s and 80s called "Whatever Happened to Pudding Pops?". Take a trip thru the slideshow and enjoy!

http://slideshow.nbcnews.com/slideshow/today/whatever-happened-to-pudding-pops-43170212/

WOW!! Talk about your "trip down memory lane". Thanks for posting Tom.

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
not quite a Wacky in the media, but close enough. In a recent episode of the new Flash, (The Elongated Knight Rises 1/23/18), they mentioned how the Trickster and Prank were responsible for a series of attacks across Central City, including the destruction of the Gadzooka Bubblegum Company. Along with a photo of the newspaper article. I did a screen grab, so it's somewhat fuzzy, but the mention is in the first paragraph.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:54:54 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »
It's a nice book, that I either consulted on or contributed some materials to (it's been a few years).  But the folks who put it together are good ones who I've had many years of happy (and nostalgic) back and forths with as we have each researched things in this realm.    :great:

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
Noticed this as well.  Thought it was great. 

not quite a Wacky in the media, but close enough. In a recent episode of the new Flash, (The Elongated Knight Rises 1/23/18), they mentioned how the Trickster and Prank were responsible for a series of attacks across Central City, including the destruction of the Gadzooka Bubblegum Company. Along with a photo of the newspaper article. I did a screen grab, so it's somewhat fuzzy, but the mention is in the first paragraph.

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline mikecho

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but I sure saw a whole mess of candidates for Old School Wackys in this slideshow!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 07:18:22 AM »
It occurs to me this may be a whole new category to research. Can anyone think of any more instances where a spokesperson for a real product eventually became a potential spokesperson for the Wacky Package version?

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 06:06:06 AM »

Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack

Offline sco(o)t

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »
Jan Brady's Door!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQWIRRad-Ww" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQWIRRad-Ww</a>

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 05:20:59 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
Awesome ....... Marcia Marcia Marcia!!!

#StayWacky

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2021, 03:10:06 PM »
Brand new TV show with a solid minute about wackys!

The show is called “Everything But The House” and is aired on HGTV network. The idea of the show is that online auctioneers auction the contents of a house to raise cash for the owners.

In Season 1 Episode 9 entitled “History Funded Future,” there is a full minute of discussion about this guy’s wackys, particularly focusing on the posters.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2021, 04:03:53 PM »
Cool!  I watch that channel sometimes, must keep an eye out for this show - thanks for the heads up!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2021, 08:20:24 PM »
Very cool!  I don't have cable any more, but I'd love to see that episode.  Sounds like a pretty interesting show.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2021, 09:46:58 AM »
I watched the show and one thing I found interesting is that when they show them thumbing through the stickers, there is a Bandache shown:

Then the host lady shows the guy a picture of what she calls the "holy grails" of Wacky Packs:

The guy then asks her if he had any of those "valuable" cards and she tells him "No, you did not!"
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2021, 09:51:42 AM »

A LostWackys.com Good and Empty? good grief.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2021, 10:00:59 AM »
Yeah - I would take this show with a grain of salt!  Some of it seemed a little too convenient or contrived.  Kind of reminded me a little bit of "Storage Wars".  I think it is pretty much well known knowledge now that the stuff they would find in those storage lockers was planted to make the show more interesting and exciting.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »
A LostWackys.com Good and Empty? good grief.
The only thing Good and Empty was done in was the X Packs. Could that be what this one is?

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »
The only thing Good and Empty was done in was the X Packs. Could that be what this one is?
No, it’s not from those.
As I stated, it’s from Rusty’s site

http://www.lostwackys.com/Wacky-Packages/WackyAds/wackyads-25b.htm

Offline mikecho

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2021, 12:01:20 PM »
No, it’s not from those.
As I stated, it’s from Rusty’s site

http://www.lostwackys.com/Wacky-Packages/WackyAds/wackyads-25b.htm
Okay, thanks.

When you said "Lost Wackys", I thought you were talking about Greg, not Rusty. My mistake.

I also saw on the website that there were five other unofficial Wacky Ads "stickers" besides Good and Empty. Did any of these six ever get published and out into the wild?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:51:31 PM by mikecho »

Offline Starducks

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2021, 01:04:17 PM »
Wow I just found out about storage wars last week now that you mention it definitely seems fake.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2021, 08:49:15 AM »
I saw the episode this morning and was going to post about it myself. The lost wacky Good and Empty made me cringe. I wanted to see all of the Wackys though, they didn’t show them all.

Offline drono

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2021, 11:07:14 AM »
I watched it last night.  While I really like Lara Spencer from her show Flea Market Flip, I didn't find anything that would make me want to watch more episodes of this.  What really bothered me was Lara, her expert, and the seller all calling them "Wacky Packs" when they apparently weren't really that familiar with them.  Lara claims to have had a collection as a kid, but since she was born in 1969, she was too young for the original series, and the seller didn't know (or was scripted not to know) that some were more valuable than others.  The auction itself said that they were from series 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9, but clearly there were 1st series, including a Bandache when they were flipping through them.  I wonder if one of the appraisers at headquarters snatched them.  The auction listing itself was poorly done with the wackys just in stacks and not fanned out like some of the others.  There was also no mention of the empty boxes even though they were in terrible shape.

https://www.ebth.com/items/11749414-topps-fleer-and-donruss-wacky-packages-stickers-and-cards-1970s

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »
I watched it last night.  While I really like Lara Spencer from her show Flea Market Flip, I didn't find anything that would make me want to watch more episodes of this.  What really bothered me was Lara, her expert, and the seller all calling them "Wacky Packs" when they apparently weren't really that familiar with them.  Lara claims to have had a collection as a kid, but since she was born in 1969, she was too young for the original series, and the seller didn't know (or was scripted not to know) that some were more valuable than others.  The auction itself said that they were from series 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9, but clearly there were 1st series, including a Bandache when they were flipping through them.  I wonder if one of the appraisers at headquarters snatched them.  The auction listing itself was poorly done with the wackys just in stacks and not fanned out like some of the others.  There was also no mention of the empty boxes even though they were in terrible shape.

https://www.ebth.com/items/11749414-topps-fleer-and-donruss-wacky-packages-stickers-and-cards-1970s

In all of the auctions (not just the wackys) I thought the prices realized were terrible. Just put the stuff on eBay, no one even knows their site exists.

Offline drono

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2021, 12:45:01 PM »
In all of the auctions (not just the wackys) I thought the prices realized were terrible. Just put the stuff on eBay, no one even knows their site exists.

Agreed.  There was that one gold bracelet that sold for $5600. With 18K gold prices at ~$1300/ounce, and its weighing in at 91.1 grams (3.2 ounces), it was worth more than its weight in gold.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:54:44 PM by drono »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2021, 01:11:31 PM »

The show is called “Everything But The House” and is aired on HGTV network. The idea of the show is that online auctioneers auction the contents of a house to raise cash for the owners.

In Season 1 Episode 9 entitled “History Funded Future,” there is a full minute of discussion about this guy’s wackys, particularly focusing on the posters.

(Image removed from quote.)

this is super cool, any mention of wackys is cool even if contrived and possibly with some misinformation. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »

]

Just watched this. Did anyone else think it was odd that the lot of 23 of the 24 posters went for as little as $110?  They don't really show what
condition they are in etc. but I would have guessed at least twice that unless they were a mess.

Offline drono

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2021, 10:00:26 AM »

Just watched this. Did anyone else think it was odd that the lot of 23 of the 24 posters went for as little as $110?  They don't really show what
condition they are in etc. but I would have guessed at least twice that unless they were a mess.

I was thinking the same thing.  The auction listing made them sound much worse than they the few that were shown in the TV show.

Condition
- yellowing, browning of the paper, especially along the fold lines; there are some bad trims

I wonder what a bad trim is.  Photo 6 shows one poster with a little browning but the others look decent.  Considering that he had these stored in a garage in Ridgefield, CT, which has a variety of temperatures, the ones in the show looked better than I would have expected.  It makes me wonder what was "planted" in the garage vs. what was actually there, especially since 1st series stickers were in the show but not the auction.

https://www.ebth.com/items/11867707-wacky-package-satirical-advertising-posters

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2021, 11:44:08 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  The auction listing made them sound much worse than they the few that were shown in the TV show.

Condition
- yellowing, browning of the paper, especially along the fold lines; there are some bad trims

I wonder what a bad trim is.  Photo 6 shows one poster with a little browning but the others look decent.  Considering that he had these stored in a garage in Ridgefield, CT, which has a variety of temperatures, the ones in the show looked better than I would have expected.  It makes me wonder what was "planted" in the garage vs. what was actually there, especially since 1st series stickers were in the show but not the auction.

https://www.ebth.com/items/11867707-wacky-package-satirical-advertising-posters

Thanks for the link. So the Additional Info for the auction reads:

"Additional Information   The Wacky Package posters were a set of 24, this particular group is number 1-24, only the #3 poster is missing. There are duplicate posters of #1, 6, 8, 12, 15, 20, 23 and 24."

Does that mean there were actually 31 posters in the lot (the 23 unique numbers and 8 duplicates)? I would day the winning bidder got a pretty good deal. They don't look in too rough condition. The auction title refers to them as ...advertising posters. That's not what I would have expected to see in this auction.

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2021, 02:12:55 AM »

There's at least one red ludlow in that link.  Wonder if it's the Band-Ache face down.

Offline drono

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2021, 07:16:24 AM »
There's at least one red ludlow in that link.  Wonder if it's the Band-Ache face down.

Good eyes!  It's in photo 7.  It makes you wonder about their experts - and they're ability to properly list an auction.  I think they're more interested in making good TV than getting top dollar for the family.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2021, 07:47:28 AM »

Looks like a 2nd red to me.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2021, 01:33:05 AM »
the box was a re-issue - the packs, well....

I remember I was such a ridiculously-fanatic Wacky collector that I literally went to see this movie when it came out just because I heard there was Wackys in it.  Like they were a movie star or something.  Oh well... at least I've never dressed up at ComicCon.  (...not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2021, 05:49:48 AM »
Not sure which thread to mention this as this is not really wackys appearing in movies and such but the collector guys randomly found me and decided to interview me, now up on youtube.  Thru the world if editting, some of the clarifications and such I made didn't make the video as we all know there are exceptions and oddities in each series of wackys but here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGEBrveX3rQ&t=34s

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:19:58 AM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/