Author Topic: Wacky Packages - Appearances in TV, Movies and Media  (Read 26794 times)

Offline Plan 9

Wacky Packages - Appearances in TV, Movies and Media
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
There was a thread in Greg's old form about this topic. Time to revive it. I just watched an episode of Oddities on the science channel. In the episode entitled "Pickled Pig" (2010) the hosts visit a guy to check out his bone collection. He greets them wearing a silicone old man mask. Right behind him is a framed 1979 re-issue sheet hanging on the wall.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Wacky Packages - Appearances in TV, Movies and Media
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »
There was a thread in Greg's old form about this topic. Time to revive it. I just watched an episode of Oddities on the science channel. In the episode entitled "Pickled Pig" (2010) the hosts visit a guy to check out his bone collection. He greets them wearing a silicone old man mask. Right behind him is a framed 1979 re-issue sheet hanging on the wall.

A character in the Jim Carrey movie Yes Man also had a framed 1979 sheet on his wall. It's in the scene where he has a Harry Potter themed party.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
A character in the Jim Carrey movie Yes Man also had a framed 1979 sheet on his wall. It's in the scene where he has a Harry Potter themed party.

And don't forget the appearance of a '79 sheet in the Showtime series "Weeds".  There is even a mention of the sheet by one of the characters where he comments that someone is interested in buying the "Wacky Packs".
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline WackyFrank

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »
I was just watching the original "Bad News Bears" Movie, and their was a kid in the stands in a "Kentucky Fried Fingers" T-Shirt.
This movie came out in 1976, and was probably shot in 1975, so it makes sense.
Back in the Wacky Heyday!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages - Appearances in Super 8 movie
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
just got done watching Super 8, which is a period piece taking place in summer '79, and sure enough - there's a bunch of wacky's in two of the kid's bedrooms
the one kid Charles has a nice line up of stickers stuck to the wall above his desk - I recall seeing Raw Goo, Dampers, Camals - they could be '79 reissues stuck there. There were several others scattered around - a Boo Hoo and a View Monster.
Most noticeable was the Gadzooka poster tacked on a wall. It even makes main stage for awhile, dead center in a scene between Joe and Charles as they're having an argument!!
the other kid Joe has a few in his bedroom too. several were ones stuck to the bed frame and then peeled away, leaving just the white paper ghosts on the wood.
He also has quite a few non-sports cards stuck to the wall - several star wars, a Space: 1999, and some cars.
plus, there's lots of 70's stuff that shows up all over the place. old comics, creepy, famous monsters, cheerios, frosted flakes, etc., etc.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:21:39 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
just got done watching Super 8, which is a period piece taking place in summer '79, and sure enough - there's a bunch of wacky's in two of the kid's bedrooms
the one kid Charles has a nice line up of stickers stuck to the wall above his desk - I recall seeing Raw Goo, Dampers, Camals - they could be '79 reissues stuck there. There were several others scattered around - a Boo Hoo and a View Monster.
Most noticeable was the Gadzooka poster tacked on a wall. It even makes main stage for awhile, dead center in a scene between Joe and Charles as they're having an argument!!
the other kid Joe has a few in his bedroom too. several were ones stuck to the bed frame and then peeled away, leaving just the white paper ghosts on the wood.
He also has quite a few non-sports cards stuck to the wall - several star wars, a Space: 1999, and some cars.
plus, there's lots of 70's stuff that shows up all over the place. old comics, creepy, famous monsters, cheerios, frosted flakes, etc., etc.

I just got back from seeing it. Great movie! Don't forget to sit through the ending credits!
I never noticed the other stickers just the Gadzooka. Now I'll have to wait until the DVD to pause. There were so many cool toys in the boys rooms you just want to freeze frame.

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
I just got back from seeing it. Great movie! Don't forget to sit through the ending credits!
I never noticed the other stickers just the Gadzooka. Now I'll have to wait until the DVD to pause. There were so many cool toys in the boys rooms you just want to freeze frame.
yep. solid movie. recommended. and not just for the wackys.

With the end credits, it's not like a Marvel movie where there's 15 minutes of endless droning credits just to get a 10 second useless bonus. This is shortly after the credits start rolling and worth the time.
It was amazing how many people made a mad dash for the exit as soon as the screen went dark and then totally missed out on some great stuff.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 07:16:34 PM »
I just got back from Super 8 and man was it cool. Can't wait for the DVD so I can freeze frame and check out all the cool stuff in the kid's rooms. Lots of Wacky's, Star Wars cards, models, games, masks, ships, posters, etc. They even had Pillsbury Space Food Sticks (which I know has been discussed on this forum). I almost screamed out in the theater when I saw the food sticks and the Wackys. Cool film with even cooler set design.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
yep. solid movie. recommended. and not just for the wackys.

With the end credits, it's not like a Marvel movie where there's 15 minutes of endless droning credits just to get a 10 second useless bonus. This is shortly after the credits start rolling and worth the time.
It was amazing how many people made a mad dash for the exit as soon as the screen went dark and then totally missed out on some great stuff.
Yup, i saw all those wackys and kept pointing at the screen much to my wife's chagrin.  Not so sure i would call it a solid movie, seemed like a careless mix of et, close encounters, goonies and district 9.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
Yup, i saw all those wackys and kept pointing at the screen much to my wife's chagrin.  Not so sure i would call it a solid movie, seemed like a careless mix of et, close encounters, goonies and district 9.

I really enjoyed the movie - just saw it today. 

Saw the Wackys of course, and a number of other things.  Had me wondering if the prop master tapped my archive... There were a few things they didn't quite get right, in the realm of set dressing, and I imagine I'm probably the only person who would note it or care, so it shouldn't matter.  For instance; they had contemporary candy cigarettes on the counter of the gas station, and from what I could tell, a modern box of Charleston Chews, too.  There were some other issues I'd take, but really, a lovely version of 1979, all told.  I'm a fan.

When it comes out on blu-ray, I'll enjoy trying to spot other 70's pieces. 

Things from my own stuff that I saw in the film were these nuggets - did you guys see all of these?:

Super Lite-Ups stickers - Raisin Bran - Dynamite Don't Shake Me Up - 1975 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Cereal Lite Ups - We've Got A Convoy - Honeycomb cereal premium sticker - 1977 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Cereal Lite Ups - You're Too Close - Honeycomb cereal premium sticker - 1977 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Cereal Lite Ups - Keep on Bikin' Sticker - Honeycomb cereal premium sticker - 1977 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

General Foods - Good Seasons - Shake 'n Bake Chicken - mix box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes cereal box - Free Bic Pens - 1979 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

And finally, I saw this, but used as a small sticker on one of the kids' bedroom windows.  Beyond the cereal box, this is the one that really had me thinking someone tapped into a few items from my stuff to create set dressing.  This was never a sticker, and the only place I've ever found a clear image of it was in the proof pack that I own, though there certainly must be more out there, my stuff is pretty easy to get to:

Star Wars Factors Iron On Proof Sheet - Chewie and Han Solo - 1977 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 05:03:52 AM »
I saw Super 8 last night.  The movie was OK, but I loved all the old items!  I went with some friends from my old office, and had told them ahead of time to pay attention to the details, so we were all trying to spot stuff.  I was looking for a box of reissue Wackys on the convenience store counter, didn't see one.  We all liked the Tie Fighter model hanging in the bedroom (we're all into sci-fi, I'm the only Wacky person in the group).

Amazing how many people tore out of the theater and missed the kids' movie during the credits.

Jason, if they used your stuff, they should have given you credit.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 06:22:49 AM »
Elle Fanning is on her way to being a superstar....  I just hope she and her sister Dakota stay grounded and don't get sucked into the evils of Hollyweird... ala Cory Haim

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
I saw Super 8 last night.  The movie was OK, but I loved all the old items!  I went with some friends from my old office, and had told them ahead of time to pay attention to the details, so we were all trying to spot stuff.  I was looking for a box of reissue Wackys on the convenience store counter, didn't see one.  We all liked the Tie Fighter model hanging in the bedroom (we're all into sci-fi, I'm the only Wacky person in the group).

Amazing how many people tore out of the theater and missed the kids' movie during the credits.

I wish I would have seen the whole movie....I fell asleep.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »

Was it a re-issue box that was on the counter of the convenience store in Detroit Rock City?

Offline Crust

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »
I already mentioned this before, but its perfect for this topic. Blown up sized old wackies can be found in the backround on a locker in the Nickelodeon show Victorious.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Was it a re-issue box that was on the counter of the convenience store in Detroit Rock City?

I remember asking this question in another thread. I do believe the answer was yes. i think it was second series.

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:38:02 AM »

the box was a re-issue - the packs, well....

from Grag's site:

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »

from Grag's site:
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for posting the picture.  I collected those Donruss KISS cards that are displayed on the counter as a kid too.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
Those KISS cards were the bomb!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »

from Grag's site:

That Capitol Club sign looks just like a Wacky Ad.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 10:49:14 AM »
So I'm watching Dog Day Afternoon (1975) with Al Pacino (Sonny), a movie I have seen maybe 25 times in my life, and saw a Wacky. I have never noticed it before. At the 49 minute mark, Sonny's wife enters their apartment with 2 cops and her kids. It is a small apartment, so the kids' bunk beds are in the living room. Taped to the wall, next to the kids' top bunk, is a Camals Cigarettes Wacky Poster. It was really cool to see that since it was current at the time. I dig seeing Wackys in films like Detroit Rock City or Super 8, but they are recreating a time period. To know that set design went to a store and bought  a Wacky Poster to hang on the kids' wall is pretty awesome.

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
So I'm watching Dog Day Afternoon (1975) with Al Pacino (Sonny)...
from Greg's site
http://www.wackypackages.org/press/dog_day_afternoon.html

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »

What a photo!

In addition to the obvious, I like the boxes of caps, the dice and corn-cob pipes (both still a common staple of liquor stores), and I think those are old school flash bulbs, for instamatic cameras, above the pipes.

And that there are Hustler and Penthouse magazines in the scene takes it from good to great.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
What a photo!

In addition to the obvious, I like the boxes of caps, the dice and corn-cob pipes (both still a common staple of liquor stores), and I think those are old school flash bulbs, for instamatic cameras, above the pipes.

And that there are Hustler and Penthouse magazines in the scene takes it from good to great.

Of course they are behind the counter so young prying eyes from lads such as ourselves would keep our Gold Rush stained fingers off of them.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
Awesome topic.  I noticed the other day watching "17 Again" on TBS (1st time seeing the movie) that there is what-is-probably a 79 poster on the wall of "Cousin Ned"s game room. 
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
I was watching the first season of The Ultimate Fighter the other day. This isnt a wacky but in Dana Whites office, in the backround there is a box of "Beaties" with Chuck Liddell on the cover. Nice little parodie for those who notice things like that.

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »
Check out this 7 Eleven sign.
http://www.super8news.com/2010/09/23/commence-filming/
I don't think it made it into the movie, but still cool.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 11:22:27 AM »

Yeah, I don't recall that in the movie, but very cool nonetheless.  I also liked the shot of the inside of the store as I recognized the Kellogg's cereal box designs as well as Quaker oatmeal single serve boxes.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »

That is cool but wasn't Super 8 set in 1979? I never saw a sign like that growing up but can't imagine they were that popular in 1979.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
Dont remember a sign like that either but sure would've.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
Likely the presence of Wackys in Super 8 is a result of JJ Abrams being a Wacky Packs aficionado.  I think this link will work.  Here is a documentary about Don Dohler, who was the first guy to publish stuff by me and Art Spiegelman when we were kids.  Abrams was influenced by Dohler's later publishing efforts in the '70s, when he did Cinemagic magazine.  So Abrams is in this documentary talking about Dohler, as am I. Wackys are not specifically mentioned...but it's easy to put two and two together based on the material in this doc.  http://www.hulu.com/watch/204015/blood-boobs-and-beast

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
Likely the presence of Wackys in Super 8 is a result of JJ Abrams being a Wacky Packs aficionado.  I think this link will work.  Here is a documentary about Don Dohler, who was the first guy to publish stuff by me and Art Spiegelman when we were kids.  Abrams was influenced by Dohler's later publishing efforts in the '70s, when he did Cinemagic magazine.  So Abrams is in this documentary talking about Dohler, as am I. Wackys are not specifically mentioned...but it's easy to put two and two together based on the material in this doc.  http://www.hulu.com/watch/204015/blood-boobs-and-beast

Says you must be a member to view.   >(

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
Well...It's free to be a member.  They have commercials within the movie...so it's like viewing it as a tv show.  But probably it's a hassle to join.  So never mind.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »
While on vacation recently, my family was playing a Trivial Pursuit Scratch & Play game and came across the following Wacky Package based question:

We didn't do so well on the "Chip Gizmo" question. F*ing Beetle Bailey.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:28:38 AM by DrSushi »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
Not sure if this was ever mentioned, but while channel surfing, I happened to catch a little
of that Nickelodeon show "Victorious" (no, I wasn't watching it, although there are a lot
of shows on there that are pretty cool). 

Inside the character's locker were several wackies, a little oversized, too.  I think Blunder
Bread was one of them.  It happened so quickly, I didn't keep track.

Oh well, back to Sunday Sunday Sunday!

anything