Author Topic: On the verge of 30,000 posts and almost 400 members!  (Read 13618 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
On the verge of 30,000 posts and almost 400 members!
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
The subject says it all. It's only been a little over a year and the popularity has increased. It's not all LOL and I agree posts either. Thanks to everyone for contributing! This is your forum so you can all make it what you want.

Offline Plan 9

Re: On the verge of 30,000 posts and almost 400 members!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »
The subject says it all. It's only been a little over a year and the popularity has increased. It's not all LOL and I agree posts either. Thanks to everyone for contributing! This is your forum so you can all make it what you want.
HOORAY FOR WHATEVER!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 06:17:57 AM »
It's been 14 months, or about 420 days, and there are almost 30,000 posts?? That equates to around 70 posts per day. Is that really possible? On the average day here, it seems like about 10 posts, but I guess there are high volume days that make up for it?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:46:14 AM »
It's been 14 months, or about 420 days, and there are almost 30,000 posts?? That equates to around 70 posts per day. Is that really possible? On the average day here, it seems like about 10 posts, but I guess there are high volume days that make up for it?

Something is wrong with that.  There's no way there has been an average of 70 posts a day.  20 maybe.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:17 AM »
Thanks Mark for your kind words  :sad:

I just looked at the stats and the average is 68.25 per day. You have to realize some days were higher with new series coming out and such.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:27:49 AM »
I just looked at the stats and the average is 68.25 per day.

Wasn't that just Ron's average per day?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:29:55 AM »
Wasn't that just Ron's average per day?

LOL, ya, now we have less garbage to rummage through ;D

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »
Thanks Mark for your kind words  :sad:

I just looked at the stats and the average is 68.25 per day. You have to realize some days were higher with new series coming out and such.

Are you sure those #'s are accurate?  It seems like Dave said that the daily # is much lower.  I can see some days going that high right after a new release, but on average I would think it would be more like 25/day.  If you have some slow days like 10-15 per day you need days @ 120+ posts per day to offset that.  I don't ever remember a day that would even be close to 100 posts.  Not that it matters too much, but I'm very skeptical about that! 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »
Something is wrong with that.  There's no way there has been an average of 70 posts a day.  20 maybe.    
that seems reasonable to me.
just looking at boring old yesterday there were nearly 40 posts.
On weeks with new releases it probably easily goes over 100 posts daily.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
I think I'm being fooled by only looking at the "most recent threads" list. So I only see three active threads on a given day, but there could be multiple posts per thread.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
Here are the stats:

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
Here are the stats:

The person with the most time online should get some sort of prize.  ;)

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
We should be proud! Brad, this forum has really been a wonderful experience for me in meeting wacky buddies, informing about upcoming related events, and expanding my knowledge about wackies. Thanks for providing a tool and outlet supporting a great hobby.  It's great to hear such great stats, hope we keep growing ;)
KIM :)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »

10 posts a day? No way that's even close. This thread has already gotten that. It sometimes takes me forever to wade through all the new posts in one day. And then I'll come back later and there will be more.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
The person with the most time online should get some sort of prize.  ;)

That person should probably get kicked out for loitering...LOL

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »

Bye Bye Brad! Lol
KIM :)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »

As someone in the top 10 for time (almost 15 days!), I just want to express my gratitude for all the time and effort you've put into making this a great forum. Great job!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 05:59:42 PM »
As someone in the top 10 for time (almost 15 days!), I just want to express my gratitude for all the time and effort you've put into making this a great forum. Great job!

Tell Mark that. He seems to think this forum is unnecessary or maybe he would rather have a forum that's a ghost town?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
Tell Mark that. He seems to think this forum is unnecessary or maybe he would rather have a forum that's a ghost town?

Well, I think we need forum members like Mark as well - I like his perspective and wit. I'm not one for much confrontation, but it makes for more interesting reading!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »
I do appreciate the forum and your efforts to maintain it. I just don't feel showing up is worthy of celebration. Especially when we spent last month patting ourselves on the back for a full year's worth of showing up.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
I do appreciate the forum and your efforts to maintain it. I just don't feel showing up is worthy of celebration. Especially when we spent last month patting ourselves on the back for a full year's worth of showing up.

Showing up? Man, if that isnt condescending I don't know what is. It sounds like you being on here is a privilege. There is a difference between celebrating a one year anniversary and being surprised by how many posts. I really didn't think this forum would build this kind of fellowship with the loyalty to the other forum. It's not a god complex so please don't make it out to be one. I just want a fun place for collectors to hang out. It makes me happy. That's all I'm in it for. I'm just surprised how many have followed this forum. That's it and nothing more.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
Showing up? Man, if that isnt condescending I don't know what is. It sounds like you being on here is a privilege. There is a difference between celebrating a one year anniversary and being surprised by how many posts. I really didn't think this forum would build this kind of fellowship with the loyalty to the other forum. It's not a god complex so please don't make it out to be one. I just want a fun place for collectors to hang out. It makes me happy. That's all I'm in it for. I'm just surprised how many have followed this forum. That's it and nothing more.
You think the term "showing up" is somehow condescending? That's bizarre. Showing up is all I do here. It is a hang-out, correct? And I said nothing about a god complex. I don't know how you came up with that one. Now who's being sensitive?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »
You think the term "showing up" is somehow condescending? That's bizarre. Showing up is all I do here. It is a hang-out, correct? And I said nothing about a god complex. I don't know how you came up with that one. Now who's being sensitive?

Showing up to me means doing as little as possible such as contributing. A total slacker, such as a Dad that just shows up but doesn't participate.
The God reference as referring to Gregs forum. Everyone seemed to think he had a God like presence because he ran the forum. I don't want that. That is not what I am about.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
You are usually much more factually prepared than this....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
Your post was clearly condescending,, not sure how you dont see that....did you miss your own attachment of "mediocrity"??
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
Here are the stats:

Male to Female ratio:  10.6 / 1

This hobby is definitely a Sausage Fest!!

Actually I was quite surprised to see my name in the top 10 posters.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
Your post was clearly condescending,, not sure how you dont see that....did you miss your own attachment of "mediocrity"??
It wasn't my intention to be condescending or spoil Brad's fun. I just don't care for cheerleading but that's just the curmudgeon in me. It's the kind of thing that drove me nuts about RonZombie's posts.

Offline Gen 4

• ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
  • ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
Brad,

I know you work hard to keep this wonderful site going strong! Thank you man!! Please do not let ingrates and other habitual whiners poison the overall positive environment here. I peeked at the “other” forum and it is so antiquated…the worst by far…and I’ve been on 100s of various message boards. Also, I think it’s ridiculous to have people come on here and try to tell you what you should do what your own property…e.g. OS2.  If you need help or any donations, just PM me please.

Thanks!!

LONG LIVE WACKY PACKAGES!!!  :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 08:12:12 PM »
It wasn't my intention to be condescending or spoil Brad's fun. I just don't care for cheerleading but that's just the curmudgeon in me. It's the kind of thing that drove me nuts about RonZombie's posts.

I wasn't cheerleading. Im just pointing out how surprised this forum has taken off. This has been a fun ride and it will continue. I really didn't expect these kind of results this soon.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
I just don't care for cheerleading but that's just the curmudgeon in me.

Why do I suspect that, while you may not appreciate cheerleading, you do appreciate cheerleaders.   ;)

I suppose that, in light of RonZombie's endless "This forum is great!" types of posts, one could be leery of any celebration of forum milestones.  Still, pubs have anniversary parties, and those are hang-outs, too. Remember when most websites had "hit-counters"?  Youtube and Twitter, and the internet in general still celebrates numerical milestones like nobody's business. 

In moderation, forum-celebration doesn't have to be a negative at all.   

In this case, I even learned something.  I'd never have guessed that the site averages 80 posts a day. 

So, Congrats to the forum, our moderator, and my fellow members.   Nice going, one and all.

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 10:10:28 PM »
Brad,

I know you work hard to keep this wonderful site going strong! Thank you man!! Please do not let ingrates and other habitual whiners poison the overall positive environment here. I peeked at the “other” forum and it is so antiquated…the worst by far…and I’ve been on 100s of various message boards. Also, I think it’s ridiculous to have people come on here and try to tell you what you should do what your own property…e.g. OS2.  If you need help or any donations, just PM me please.

Thanks!!

LONG LIVE WACKY PACKAGES!!!  :great:

There is no need for donations. I love doing this as long as Topps keeps producing series. Although donations are nice...LOL
No, seriously, I love this hobby and not too many people get under my skin. There has been a couple but I really do have a thick skin.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »
Why do I suspect that, while you may not appreciate cheerleading, you do appreciate cheerleaders.   ;)

I suppose that, in light of RonZombie's endless "This forum is great!" types of posts, one could be leery of any celebration of forum milestones.  Still, pubs have anniversary parties, and those are hang-outs, too. Remember when most websites had "hit-counters"?  Youtube and Twitter, and the internet in general still celebrates numerical milestones like nobody's business. 

In moderation, forum-celebration doesn't have to be a negative at all.   

In this case, I even learned something.  I'd never have guessed that the site averages 80 posts a day. 

So, Congrats to the forum, our moderator, and my fellow members.   Nice going, one and all.

80 posts a day is definitely surprising. To me it's nothing more. I hope we don't start thinking that the only posting to be tolerated here must fall somewhere between neutral and sacharin. Or between supportive and ass-kissing. I'm confident Brad is above enforcing such rules.

But others like Gen 4, a total stranger to me, is quick to label me an ungrateful whiner. If this anonymous child would refer to the chart Brad posted he/she will notice the 4th most popular topic on this entire forum was established and thoroughly maintained by me. He/she will also notice that I am the 4th most prolific topic starter and the 5th highest poster. If numbers have any significance then in this case they're evidence of my passion for this hobby and my appreciation for this forum. My posts aren't always written in a smooth innocuous manner and sometimes I suffer for it later. I'd put more trust in guy's like me and Ernie than I would with those who never stir the pot.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 12:00:38 AM »

But others like Gen 4, a total stranger to me, is quick to label me an ungrateful whiner

I don't think this person said that so this may be a self assessment. Mark, were not throwing you under the bus. Remember I do have a really thick skin and can deal with an ocational outburst. It's all about our passion for the hobby.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 03:03:41 AM »
My posts aren't always written in a smooth innocuous manner and sometimes I suffer for it later. 

Nobody should expect Plan 9 to live on Cloud 9. That’s not your style.   ;D

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/MotorolaAd1971.png[/expando]

It looks like this groovy guy is fartin’ a pink cloud of musical dames.

Oh, and I had to look up the word “innocuous” to confirm its meaning. That word always throws me. Partially because I hear people use the word “innocuous” once in a while, but never “nocuous”. “Noxious”, yes, as in the pink fumes above, but not "nocuous". Maybe we need an OS3 title called Nocuous Blast for Binaca Blast. “Nocuous Blast”, sounds like the name of a Roman emperor or a Willy Wonka character.

Ride on

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 04:18:30 AM »
Brad

Glad to be a small contributor here. Good site.

Frank

anything