Author Topic: Nothing says 1973 like this...  (Read 30987 times)

Offline hurricanes

Re: Nothing says 1973 like this...
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »
Sue M.

Good job:it was Joe Mannix. Excellent show.

Offline exceedrin

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
Bringing this back to a music oriented thread (at least for this post)...We never missed this show during its short run of about a season or so. Pretty cool theme song too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iwp1d7eKbA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iwp1d7eKbA</a>

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 03:30:10 AM »
Jeff

Remember the show and loved it.
Difference then(as you know), no cable and only 3 or so major channels. Little if anything to choose from compared to the hundreds of channels today.
Got into all those major shows. Now they are part of our nostalgia. As I said before, great time to grow up.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
Jeff

Remember the show and loved it.
Difference then(as you know), no cable and only 3 or so major channels. Little if anything to choose from compared to the hundreds of channels today.
Got into all those major shows. Now they are part of our nostalgia. As I said before, great time to grow up.

Let's also not forget Watergate on everyone of those 3 channels! My parents resorted to watching PBS. Yuck!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
Let's also not forget Watergate on everyone of those 3 channels! My parents resorted to watching PBS. Yuck!

I recall ENDLESS watching of this, even during the morning before I went to school -- which meant NO CARTOONS that day! Wonder if my grades were better or worse during that time...

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 02:15:14 PM »
Porkie
Better memory than me, I dont remember watching Watergate on TV.

Remember seeing Rocky when it first came out. I couldn't get in to Alien, because I wasn't 17 and the lady wouldn't let me or my friends in(we were all younger than 17). Saw the Hills have Eyes with my parents.

Around the time I got into Wackies then, really got into Famous Monsters of Filmland with Forrest J Ackerman. Man was I hooked on that magazine. A friend of mine in Elementary School got me into that. First one I bought was #114, the all Jap Monster issue. My father bought it for me.

Saw all the Dirty Harry Movies in the theatre as well as all of the Planet of the Apes Movies and the 007 movies.

How about the WARRIORS. Bunch of fights at theatres in Miami after than damn movie came out.

How about skinny Jamie Lee Curtis on Halloween. And the guy on Friday the 13th.

Too much reminiscing.

:great:

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »

I actually recall kinda getting into the Watergate hearings. Maybe is was my first real focused attention on politics, but I do remember it being much better than the "soaps" my mother would watch that they pre-empted.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »
                                  quote author=hurricanes link=topic=1286.msg32057#msg32057 date=1309986
I HAVE THE WARRIORS ON DVD(DEEP DISCOUNT DVD)THE DJ WAS PLAYED BY JOLIET NATIVE LYNN THIGPEN WHO PASSED AWAY PERHAPS  IN 2003
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 02:50:40 AM »
deadpresidentsvisa

Nice piece of trivia. I can hear her voice in my head right now.
She made a reference to the Baseball furies striking out or something like that.
Remember when the Warrior(who was American Fighter in that Van Dam movie) asked the other guy if he was too tired to keep going, and
said that he was tired of running from these "pussies anyway". Then the Warriors beat the heck out of the guys with the bats and painted faces. You probable know what I meanl

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 04:55:25 AM »
deadpresidentsvisa

Nice piece of trivia. I can hear her voice in my head right now.
She made a reference to the Baseball furies striking out or something like that.
Remember when the Warrior(who was American Fighter in that Van Dam movie) asked the other guy if he was too tired to keep going, and
said that he was tired of running from these "pussies anyway". Then the Warriors beat the heck out of the guys with the bats and painted faces. You probable know what I meanl
They cut to the DJ about 4 or 5 times during the movie,I have the ultimate directors cut and Walter Hill was impressed with James Remars strength,Remar lifted one end of a very heavy and large solid wood table.Will post ...i am going to overheat......
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
jdjd

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
Jack Daniels for my overheating computer,it's about to go through another "thermal event"

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
deadpresidentsvisa

Some more Warriors trivia from my recollection(didn't look it up)

1)The head Warrior(after the first head guy got killed) was also the lead male role in Xanadu(with Olivia Newton John). A movie I never saw.
2)The guy who got killed by a Subway train in station, was one of the guys out in that outpost in the movie THE THING with Kurt Russel, mid 1980's. I think his name was "CHILDS" or something like that
3)The real bad guy in Warriors, the one at end of movie clanging the bottles together and screaming:"WARRIORS COME OUT AND PLAAAYYY", is also the loser in DreamScape(with Dennis Quaid) who tries to get in the mind of the US president(Eddie Albert) to kill him He turns into a COBRAHEAD.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »
For all who dont know the movie, here is the Trailer.

CAN YOU DIG IT, CAN YOUUU DIGGG ITTTTT.

RIFT

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P6MqHccBSI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P6MqHccBSI</a>

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »
For all who dont know the movie, here is the Trailer.

CAN YOU DIG IT, CAN YOUUU DIGGG ITTTTT.

RIFT

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P6MqHccBSI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P6MqHccBSI</a>

It's only one of the best movies ever made. I think I have seen it at least 20 times. More than any other movie. Love it!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
It's only one of the best movies ever made. I think I have seen it at least 20 times. More than any other movie. Love it!

I don't recall that "bad guys" name, but he also played a great "bad guy" role in the movie "Dreamscape". That was a good one too for it's time.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
I don't recall that "bad guys" name, but he also played a great "bad guy" role in the movie "Dreamscape". That was a good one too for it's time.

David Patrick Kelly.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0446314/#Actor

He was also "Sully" in Commando with Arnold...  and he was great in it, as he is in most of his appearances. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
He was also "Luther" in 48 Hours.   " Whats happening Luther"

Offline exceedrin

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »

Been a little out of touch on this thread lately but just checked it out and see you've brought up The Warriors. An excellent film indeed and one that I've watched a good half-dozen times or so over the years. I can definitely dig it, bruddah. I really like the song In The City, as performed by Joe Walsh. Local AOR stations played it quite a bit back in the day. Maybe I should post about it over on the Forgotten Song thread.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNWUB0Ji8vA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNWUB0Ji8vA</a>

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 03:36:47 AM »
Jeff

I also loved that song back then. I guess I had forgotten it. Unlike most of you, I haven't seen Warriors in years. Told my wife this week that could be a Chistmas Gift to me this year(she is always wondering what to get me). Since it also came up in Forgotten Song, also mentioned the old Johnny Quest and old Spiderman DVD's. As I get older, keep going back to my childhood. You know the "wish I was back there" Syndrome.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 05:12:01 AM »
Jeff

I also loved that song back then. I guess I had forgotten it. Unlike most of you, I haven't seen Warriors in years. Told my wife this week that could be a Chistmas Gift to me this year(she is always wondering what to get me). Since it also came up in Forgotten Song, also mentioned the old Johnny Quest and old Spiderman DVD's. As I get older, keep going back to my childhood. You know the "wish I was back there" Syndrome.

You can never really go back but its fun to dream of being a kid again back in the 70's. All the things you would buy now and save until 2011 or beyond. Just listening to the music can bring you back to almost exactly what you were doing at the time you heard a song and such. The 70s was a tough decade for parents but fun for kids.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 05:59:10 AM »
Agreed

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »

Post - Frosted Rice Krinkles - Rip n Zip Speed Machine - cereal box - 1972 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Great collection...at my Mom's hose we saved all/most of the cereal box toys - some are still in original packages...

How do you store all those things...don't the RATZ in NY eat away at them?? How do you stop them from fadding and yellowing??

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »
Great collection...at my Mom's hose we saved all/most of the cereal box toys - some are still in original packages...

How do you store all those things...don't the RATZ in NY eat away at them?? How do you stop them from fadding and yellowing??

Well, I don't keep any with the cereal still in them, and I keep a clean apartment, so.. no ratz. 

Mainly, I store these in boxes, like folks might store a comic book collection.  I do store them flattened, as it would be impossible for me to keep them in three-dimensional boxed up shape.   Most of them aren't on display on a regular basis, so there's no concern for fading or yellowing.  And for the things I do keep out on display, well, nothing much I can do about fading over the decades, so I don't worry about that.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 03:20:36 AM »
With Hustler08 on this, you have shown some great stuff for memories.
Love the Gold Rush stuff you've shown elsewhere.  :P

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 07:16:34 AM »
Well, I don't keep any with the cereal still in them, and I keep a clean apartment, so.. no ratz. 

Mainly, I store these in boxes, like folks might store a comic book collection.  I do store them flattened, as it would be impossible for me to keep them in three-dimensional boxed up shape.   Most of them aren't on display on a regular basis, so there's no concern for fading or yellowing.  And for the things I do keep out on display, well, nothing much I can do about fading over the decades, so I don't worry about that.

Dude,

I was kidding about the RATZ...most of the time I'm just kidding...Do you have an 70's KABOOM Box...that you can post?? that would be cool!!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »
Dude,

I was kidding about the RATZ...most of the time I'm just kidding...Do you have an 70's KABOOM Box...that you can post?? that would be cool!!

Sadly, I do not own a 70's Kaboom box.  As far as 70's General Mills boxes, they're up there as some of the most sought after, along with the monster cereals, and the Grapefellow/Redberry pair (which I DO own). 

With regard to the critters, you really do have to be careful.  I know a guy who has an extensive collection of packaging in storage.  He's got things like vintage Tang jars, and the like.  Apparently, mice got into the storage facility, and chewed off countless labels from things.  Even though there was no food to be had inside the jars.  The good thing is, he did photograph everything before it ever went into storage, but it's kind of a bummer story.   So, it's actually a bit of a real concern. 

But I do appreciate the humor.   

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
With Hustler08 on this, you have shown some great stuff for memories.
Love the Gold Rush stuff you've shown elsewhere.  :P

Topps Gold Rush items are some of my favorites in my collection.  I always liked them as a kid, and as a collector, I've come to appreciate them even more.  I've recently acquired some truly rare Gold Rush items that I'll probably be scanning and sharing sometime later this summer.  They're a few great pieces that most folks likely have never seen.  Should be fun.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »
I know this is a current advertisement, but reminds me of the great 1970's clothes.

http://www.costumehub.com/products/adult-groovy-costume-tye-dye-shirt/un38065

How about this one, hot wheels

http://www.redlineprotos.com/Packaging%20&%20Advertising/halloween_costumes.jpg

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Hmmm, they are even "Flame Retarded". Odd phrasing, that.

wow

That wouldn't make it on a Wacky

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »
wow

That wouldn't make it on a Wacky

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »
How's this for a loaded up image:

Topps - Candy Industry trade ad - August 1974 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
Cool stuff Jason

Man, have not seen that Big Buddy since I was a kid.  :]

anything