Author Topic: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless  (Read 73305 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
That was a well-written, reasonable, humorous, and salient post. If it is truly repesentative of your posting style, it's no wonder you're not an active poster on any forum.

Welcome!

I don't know whether your praising or slamming this post?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »

I was praising the post (and poster) and slamming everyone else, including myself, who posts on any forum anywhere. All in good fun, of course!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
I can see the concern of the "bottom falling out" of the sketch card market, and thereby hurting sales of future Old School series.  I do think, however, if production numbers remain low as they are, that concern is minimized. 

For myself, I bought boxes, because it's fun, and even though I'm not a sketch collector, I enjoy the "chance" of what I might get, and don't get too disappointed when it's not something extra special.  Beyond that, I feel I'm getting my money's worth - because in spite of what secondary market value might be, I have a tough time feeling that I'm not getting a lot for my money.  Would I avoid boxes next time, to just pick up the other stuff a little cheaper?  My answer is no. 

I did pick up three of Brad's "boxes-without-bonuses", because I plan to assemble more sets to share with my packaging collector friends - and I love the base set so much, I wanted more to maybe stick, and have some fun with that way, down the road. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 06:38:25 AM »

He's praising the post and slamming the forum.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:38 AM »
I can see the concern of the "bottom falling out" of the sketch card market, and thereby hurting sales of future Old School series.  I do think, however, if production numbers remain low as they are, that concern is minimized.  

For myself, I bought boxes, because it's fun, and even though I'm not a sketch collector, I enjoy the "chance" of what I might get, and don't get too disappointed when it's not something extra special.  Beyond that, I feel I'm getting my money's worth - because in spite of what secondary market value might be, I have a tough time feeling that I'm not getting a lot for my money.  Would I avoid boxes next time, to just pick up the other stuff a little cheaper?  My answer is no.  

I hope you are typical. Personally, I find it shocking that many of the same people I've seen balk in the past at paying even $50 for nice vintage items have no problem dropping hundreds on Old School boxes. As much as I dig this series, without caring about the sketches, it makes no sense for me to pay for boxes I can get for next to nothing, even while STILL being able to rip packs.

Let me compare it to something you're familiar with, Jason, though the comparison is far from exact. In the comics industry, in the early '90's, changes were made to the nature of the comic book product in order to attract a certain segment of the consumer dollar. Many of these changes alienated the long-term customer (me), and once the short-term customer moved on the bottom did indeed fall out.

Admittedly, this is not really comparable, because having sketch cards really doesn't directly alienate anyone who doesn't care about them. Chase cards in general do alienate some collectors by foiling their completist tendencies. And it could potentially alienate customers if they are later required to pay full price for boxes they've come to expect to get for pennies. I do think it's a bit dangerous when three to five people are buying a significant percentage of a print run, because it makes things unpredictable going forward.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:01:42 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
He's praising the post and slamming the forum.

But not really. It's all tongue in cheek.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40:42 AM »
But not really. It's all tongue in cheek.

Yeah, my post didn't really convey that I guess.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »

We need a "tongue in cheek" smiley I think.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »

But, I feel our hobby is feeling a pressure that we have all caused, and that very well may kill it.  Most of us are probably old enough, with at least some disposable income where we can, if not to buy cases outright, at least buy packs at $1.99, or as with the erasers, $2.99. The people that we really want to get into the hobby now, or sons, daughters and grandchildren can’t afford these prices on a regular basis.  If it takes 24 packs to make a base set that’s a lot of allowance!

Selfishly this will prolong the value of our collections (investments perhaps), as in 20 to 30 years those young men and women will make the same circle we have with the nostalgia in collecting Wacky Packages.

Just to address some of your points:

1. I think the $1 price point that the ANS packs had for awhile was probably ideal for encouraging impulse buying. But with stuff like the erasers, I don't think collecting the whole set is going to be too common for kids, more just piggybacking on the popularity of collectible erasers and snagging some sales that way, so price point not as important there.

2. I think we should forget the idea that kids of today are going to be nostalgically contemplating wackys in 25 years. It just isn't very likely to happen given the status of trading cards in general today and all of the other entertainment options. I can honestly say that trading cards were my main interest for close to 6 years of my childhood, and constitute a huge part of my childhood memories. Do you really think any kids of today will be able to say that in 25 years?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
I hope you are typical. Personally, I find it shocking that many of the same people I've seen balk in the past at paying even $50 for nice vintage items have no problem dropping hundreds on Old School boxes. As much as I dig this series, without caring about the sketches, it makes no sense for me to pay for boxes I can get for next to nothing, even while STILL being able to rip packs.

Let me compare it to something you're familiar with, Jason, though the comparison is far from exact. In the comics industry, in the early '90's, changes were made to the nature of the comic book product in order to attract a certain segment of the consumer dollar. Many of these changes alienated the long-term customer (me), and once the short-term customer moved on the bottom did indeed fall out.

Admittedly, this is not really comparable, because having sketch cards really doesn't directly alienate anyone who doesn't care about them. Chase cards in general do alienate some collectors by foiling their completist tendencies. And it could potentially alienate customers if they are later required to pay full price for boxes they've come to expect to get for pennies. I do think it's a bit dangerous when three to five people are buying a significant percentage of a print run, because it makes things unpredictable going forward.

I think the key, with regard to Old School, to avoiding the problems you point out, is to keep to their original and I feel, well-thought-out, structure.  Key among that, is the print run, and the price point - and the quality of the main set.   If this were a mass-market thing, I think it would be more susceptible to the legitimate issues you point out - because we have already seen that happen. 

I don't want to answer back with things you clearly already understand, but as you know, the harm in comics came about from more than just special covers, but they were certainly part of the problem.  But again, I think we all agree that the comic and trading card businesses made a lot of mistakes, at least in retrospect.  (And I've not doubt we could discuss all of that in detail for many hours - I certainly could.)

The fact is, trading cards and comic books, such as they are now, are not the same kind of consumer product they once were.  I realize that some folks may take issue with that, and I invite the discussion, but I would have a tough time being convinced that they are what they used to be, to the market they used to serve.  Pricing and chase cards, and changing tastes in entertainment have all contributed to that.  Trading cards and stickers are not a significant part of youth culture, as they were 40 years ago.  They are something different now.   But I feel that Old School is doing a terrific job balancing the various sides of it - it's a series that is true to some much of what we loved back then, but it acknowledges that it is being sold in 2011.   

My conclusion is that, as long as the quality of art (in the core series) remains high, and the print runs remain limited as they have been, and the price-per-box doesn't see any inflation, this series has a bright future ahead it, whether the interest in sketch cards sinks or soars to new heights.   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
Do you really think any kids of today will be able to say that in 25 years?

25 years ago someone said the exact same thing about kids collecting cards and guess what? We're still here.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »
Collecting has completely changed since the 90's chase cards and short prints were introduced to sell more cards. It's been like that for 20+ years. What do you think about all those piles of swill football, baseball, basketball, &etc? It's all the same. There is swill in all the card collecting hobby. They short print the rookies. Collectors only want rookie cards because of future value. I'm sure there are sports collectors with the exact same issues. I just haven't researched it.
It's all about selling more cards. If they didn't do the sketches, people would buy a couple boxes and then trade. Topps would quit making them because there was no profit. Watch what you wish for!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »

Apparently, neither did mine.

I agree with Rob that we need a tongue-in-cheek icon. How about this?
  .  .
   ^
 (---P)

Unfortunately, that one looks more like a tongue-out-of-mouth icon. Maybe this is better (but not much)?

.  .
   ^
 [----}

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »
I agree with Rob that we need a tongue-in-cheek icon.

We do!

I reluctantly use the eye roll  :^)  when tongue-in-cheek is what I mean.

[expando]http://reddogreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Obama-tongue-in-cheek.jpg[/expando]

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »
We need a "tongue in cheek" smiley I think.
I found one but some might find it offensive.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 08:24:30 PM »
Collecting has completely changed since the 90's chase cards and short prints were introduced to sell more cards. It's been like that for 20+ years. What do you think about all those piles of swill football, baseball, basketball, &etc? It's all the same. There is swill in all the card collecting hobby. They short print the rookies. Collectors only want rookie cards because of future value. I'm sure there are sports collectors with the exact same issues. I just haven't researched it.
It's all about selling more cards. If they didn't do the sketches, people would buy a couple boxes and then trade. Topps would quit making them because there was no profit. Watch what you wish for!
Just because every card company is printing chasers doesn't mean the products can't profit without them. Chasers are only a gimmick the card lines jumped on to squeeze every extra drop of profit they can. Just because they do it doesn't mean they MUST do it.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
I still think having something semi-rare inside the packs would be neat and add to the value of collecting.

I also think having these be stickers, just like the regular stickers in terms of size/weight would be ideal, and replacing a regular sticker now and then so they would not be detectable by feel. You could do the same with the checklists.

So, for example, have an alternate set of Concept-type cards that only appeared via the regular packs and you would get one every 7 packs or something. And maybe 9 total of these that built another checklist poster on the back.

Then with the stickers, some kind of 9-sticker subset. For example, Wacky Gum stickers. All stickers with some kind of weird gum on them or whatever.

This would mean a 9-sticker subset and a 9-checklist-type-card subset to collect via the regular packs.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »
I still think having something semi-rare inside the packs would be neat and add to the value of collecting.

I also think having these be stickers, just like the regular stickers in terms of size/weight would be ideal, and replacing a regular sticker now and then so they would not be detectable by feel. You could do the same with the checklists.

So, for example, have an alternate set of Concept-type cards that only appeared via the regular packs and you would get one every 7 packs or something. And maybe 9 total of these that built another checklist poster on the back.

Then with the stickers, some kind of 9-sticker subset. For example, Wacky Gum stickers. All stickers with some kind of weird gum on them or whatever.

This would mean a 9-sticker subset and a 9-checklist-type-card subset to collect via the regular packs.

These are fine ideas, though I certainly wouldn't want to see them grafted onto the Old School series, lest it lose anymore resemblance to something that is currently still quite old school...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2011, 06:11:43 AM »
These are fine ideas, though I certainly wouldn't want to see them grafted onto the Old School series, lest it lose anymore resemblance to something that is currently still quite old school...

But putting one of the so called "chasers" in the packs would be a great move if they could manage the collating part of it.  After multiple box collectors crack and open the first box or two, they start to just open the envelopes for the goodies inside, and the boxes get stacked up to the ceiling.  If there were chasers in the packs collectors would open all of the packs like the good ole days!   

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »

I just got an idea from reading this to go along with a few others I already had so thanks.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »

I have a number of things I can fool around with that won't affect the old style feel we were looking for but still would encourage opening more packs while also making the base set even more collectible.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »
I just got an idea from reading this to go along with a few others I already had so thanks.

I read" insert OLD School Gum that's really old"... :o

Goin' to Philly tomorrow?? Topps gunna b'there? Tell'm to bring some OLDS2 posters and boxes...if there's any left??

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
I read" insert OLD School Gum that's really old"... :o

Goin' to Philly tomorrow?? Topps gunna b'there? Tell'm to bring some OLDS2 posters and boxes...if there's any left??

Good question, I don't know if Topps will be there. There are plenty of boxes left (read my post on the sold out?? thread). WowyZowy handles all the posters now so Mike would not have any to bring. Binders he would have though.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
Good question, I don't know if Topps will be there. There are plenty of boxes left (read my post on the sold out?? thread). WowyZowy handles all the posters now so Mike would not have any to bring. Binders he would have though.

Maybe handing out a Series 8 promo...Does anyone know the promos their handing out @ the door...

ps GG asked me to make sure Ernie doesn't sneak in early...i don't think he's coming.. bummer... :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
I have a number of things I can fool around with that won't affect the old style feel we were looking for but still would encourage opening more packs while also making the base set even more collectible.
Maybe we could have gold gum to chase after ;D

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »
I predict there will be Ludlow-type backs to chase in the next series.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »

Camels can run fast, but I sure won’t be chasing them!    :glasses10:

I find it curious that ANS is available in retail stores, but not Old School. I assume the target market for Old School are people in their 40’s and 50’s who collected the stickers as children, but is this is the reason Old School doesn’t show up in retail stores? Since kids are buying ANS, they get tattoos added and put in Wal-Mart and Target, but not Old School. OS must be a much smaller market? I wonder how the production numbers between ANS and OS compare. Maybe a huge difference.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

Wait a second... hold the phone! Hold the phone! How about, since it's the 3rd series, a faux error along the lines of Spit & Spill? But instead of using the actual product name on the box top, they could use the original 3rd series title as the error name. So there would be a Spic & Span parody, let's call it "Speck & Spam", with "Spit & Spill" on the top of the box for some small percentage of the stickers. Call Starkist!*

* "Call Starkist" is a reference to the movie "Night Shift" with Michael Keaton as Bill Blazejowski, idea man. Here's the original line: "Bill: What if you mix the mayonnaise in the can, WITH the tunafish? Or... hold it! Chuck! I got it! Take LIVE tuna fish, and FEED 'em mayonnaise! Oh this is great.

[speaks into tape recorder]
Bill: Call Starkist!

Here's another line from the movie to help explain Michael Keaton's character: "Bill: Wanna know why I carry this tape recorder? To tape things. See, I'm an idea man, Chuck. I got ideas coming at me all day... I couldn't even fight 'em off if I wanted. Wait a second... hold the phone! Hold the phone!
[speaking into tape recorder]
Bill: Idea to eliminate garbage. Edible paper. You eat it, it's gone! You eat it, it's outta there! No more garbage!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

Wait a second... hold the phone! Hold the phone! How about, since it's the 3rd series, a faux error along the lines of Spit & Spill? But instead of using the actual product name on the box top, they could use the original 3rd series title as the error name. So there would be a Spic & Span parody, let's call it "Speck & Spam", with "Spit & Spill" on the top of the box for some small percentage of the stickers.

That's a good idea.  I like that one!  The variation sticker could be like a 1:10 ratio.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2011, 11:09:01 PM »
That's a good idea.  I like that one!  The variation sticker could be like a 1:10 ratio.

Intentional error stickers as homage = BRILLIANT! Funny, I read that error text as Spock & Spam. Sounds like a great name for a band. I claim the Trademark!

Another take on some sort of chase card that struck me last night as I was going to sleep: What if you made a sticker subset of all the unique sketch cards? These could be smaller/different in such a way as not to duplicate the actual sketch cards, but would allow for everyone to collect ALL the sketch cards via a sticker subset?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »

Another take on some sort of chase card that struck me last night as I was going to sleep: What if you made a sticker subset of all the unique sketch cards? These could be smaller/different in such a way as not to duplicate the actual sketch cards, but would allow for everyone to collect ALL the sketch cards via a sticker subset?

This was already discussed at length after the release of Old School series 1.  So much so, that some folks cut up the sketch poster and made themselves a little sketch poster card set. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »
Before everyone gets so excited thinking up new chase cards, try to keep in mind that this is what happened with trading cards years ago.  It starts with, "Hey, the core set is too easy to collect for adults, let's give them something to keep opening packs.", and leads to someone eventually developing a wonderful set called "Old School" which does away with all of that, and gives us something far more entertaining, in a very different way.

I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's fun, but rather than coming up with "inserts" and "chase cards", I'd rather see real wax wrappers - and if that isn't possible (which I understand it might not be) - well, I don't want to see this series become something it wasn't designed to be.  It doesn't need anymore 1990's ideas grafted onto it.   

PaulMaul made an interesting observation that the core set was inexpensive/worthless, compared to the rare bonus items.  Yes, that might be true right now.  But if the answer is to transform, albeit in small ways, the Old School experience into the ANS experience, I think that requires some thoughtful observation as well. 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
Before everyone gets so excited thinking up new chase cards, try to keep in mind that this is what happened with trading cards years ago.  It starts with, "Hey, the core set is too easy to collect for adults, let's give them something to keep opening packs.", and leads to someone eventually developing a wonderful set called "Old School" which does away with all of that, and gives us something far more entertaining, in a very different way.

I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's fun, but rather than coming up with "inserts" and "chase cards", I'd rather see real wax wrappers - and if that isn't possible (which I understand it might not be) - well, I don't want to see this series become something it wasn't designed to be.  It doesn't need anymore 1990's ideas grafted onto it.   

PaulMaul made an interesting observation that the core set was inexpensive/worthless, compared to the rare bonus items.  Yes, that might be true right now.  But if the answer is to transform, albeit in small ways, the Old School experience into the ANS experience, I think that requires some thoughtful observation as well. 

Jason, I fundamentally agree with what you are saying, but at the same time, something like a "planned misprint" of a title or two seems fun and in keeping with the flavor of of the OS. If not so much as a chase item, but as a nolstalgic salute to the miscuts, reprints, copyright variations, etc. Of the past. I know many of the OS series variations where not immediately known of at release time but until collectors compared notes later. Just think of it as OS in the Internet era.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »

I think it has a pretty good foundation already and shouldn't be modified too much, just a little tweaking here and there to keep it fresh would be cool, like the variation idea.  That would also solve the issue of thousands of packs that never get opened. 

As far as the value of the base sets go, why do we have to be concerned about the monetary value of them?  Why can't we appreciate the fact that they look like the 70's ones, and just have fun with them because of the gags and art?  Those that just collect the base sets and don't care about the rarer chasers benefit by not having to spend a lot of money on them.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »

As far as the value of the base sets go, why do we have to be concerned about the monetary value of them? 

Exactly! We don't all collect for value.