Author Topic: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless  (Read 73578 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »
But how would you possibly know what's going on with his family life or his finances?  We don't even have close to all of the facts to judge his situation.  My gut would tell me that what he is doing is not at the expense of his family, but the way I look at it it's really not my business.  If I had a friend who was gambling and drinking too much, and spiraling out of control, yes, I would be concerned for my friend's situation.  What were talking about here is collecting Wackys as a hobby, and I trust that Brad knows what he is doing when it comes to spending his money. 

Just in case.........Brad, if you are uncontrollably addicted to sketch cards we are all here to help.  We could have a Wacky intervention! 

All I saw week after week was a guy telling us all how many thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars he was spending. 26 thousand dollars in 3 months is just Wacky collecting!? In what world? If he can report to us how much he's spending all the time then I can comment on it. I didn't question him. I didn't demand any answers. You're standing up to me like I did. Are YOU so well versed in Brad's family life and finances that you can be so quick to defend him?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »
You analogy of scratch tickets holds no water. This is no different than you buying a box of ANS7 hoping for a gold or sketch. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. That's all there is to it.

Brad,

The reason I raised the comparison, was the surprising way you described the experience of buying a case that ends up containing no great sketches as having "lost a lot of money".  Specifically:

"You can be selective but us buying cases have no choice, we only hope to get great sketches otherwise we lost a lot of money. "

That's the quote that, to me, sounded like someone's experience of buying scratch tickets.  It wasn't an analogy so much as a comparison of experience.  But if I'm over thinking it, that's fine.  Whatever the case may be, ahem, it sounds you haven't lost a lot of money at all.  I've never bought a box of anything where I would describe it as having "lost money".  Spent money, yes, but not lost.

In the end, if you can make your hobby pay for itself, thats great.  A number of members have done so in the past, and it's always interesting to hear how they did.  I recall Plan9 building an impressive gold flashback collection, but his sales of the other stickers from cases paid for his investment, or most of it. If I'm remembering this wrong, please correct me.  I think it's a great feat to pull off.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:25:21 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
Are YOU so well versed in Brad's family life and finances that you can be so quick to defend him?

Again, I explained how I feel about this already.  I don't think it's any of my business how Brad spends his money, and I don't think we have a right to judge him without all of the facts.  No, I don't have a clue as to Brad's family life and finances, which is why I won't judge him.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »
You guys are making too much out of this. Yes I was on the defensive because I was getting a feeling that you guys think I am hoarding, stacking boxes to the ceiling, spending wild amounts of money and so forth. Yes, there is wild amounts of money but I wanted to let you know that it's not all out of my pocket. I just recycle my paypal money to buy more.
My main point is I don't want you guys to think I'm just doing this to be a business man and sell everything I buy. I'm actually trying to tell all of you that you can build a very nice collection without spending too much money and anyone can do it if they take the chance.
Most of us on this forum are collectors and it's tough to sell anything. With what I do I have to make some hard choices on what to sell and sometimes I really don't want to get rid of a sketch but everything has it's price. I have sold some really nice sketches that I would love to have for my collection but it's hard to pass up $300-$400 for a sketch.
I'm done discussing this. My family and me are fine. I just want people not to think I'm an ass hole dealing with so many sketches.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
Brad,

The reason I raised the comparison, was the surprising way you described the experience of buying a case that ends up containing no great sketches as having "lost a lot of money".  Specifically:

"You can be selective but us buying cases have no choice, we only hope to get great sketches otherwise we lost a lot of money. "

That's the quote that, to me, sounded like someone's experience of buying scratch tickets.  It wasn't an analogy so much as a comparison of experience.  But if I'm over thinking it, that's fine.  Whatever the case may be, ahem, it sounds you haven't lost a lot of money at all.  I've never bought a box of anything where I would describe it as having "lost money".  Spent money, yes, but not lost.

In the end, if you can make your hobby pay for itself, thats great.  A number of members have done so in the past, and it's always interesting to hear how they did.  I recall Plan9 building an impressive gold flashback collection, but his sales of the other stickers from cases paid for his investment, or most of it. If I'm remembering this wrong, please correct me.  I think it's a great feat to pull off.

Without Brad I would have had a hard time completing my Jay Lynch Sketch card collection.  Thanks again Brad

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
You analogy of scratch tickets holds no water. This is no different than you buying a box of ANS7 hoping for a gold or sketch. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. That's all there is to it.

"Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't."

Folks who buy scratch tickets might, just might, describe their experience exactly like this. 

That's all there is to it.

I don't have a problem with moderate gambling, it's just interesting to see the language of gambling applied to this series.  "losing money" on boxes, and "getting lucky"..  I found that surprising and worth commenting on. 

I spent $300 on Old School... But did I actually LOSE money on that?  How can I tell? 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »
"Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't."

Folks who buy scratch tickets might, just might, describe their experience exactly like this. 

That's all there is to it.

I don't have a problem with moderate gambling, it's just interesting to see the language of gambling applied to this series.  "losing money" on boxes, and "getting lucky"..  I found that surprising and worth commenting on. 

I spent $300 on Old School... But did I actually LOSE money on that?  How can I tell? 

I totally agree with you that this is scratch ticket lottery and Brad's description are a lottery system dead on.  He referenced specific artists and titles without describing any details of the quality of the sketches and declared those as desirable.....this of course is true mainly because of the "scarcity" of those combos he cited and the "scarcity" is exactly the same as "odds" of having a winning scratch ticket.  The fully part is that there is NOTHING WRONG with this being a lottery like system.  Everyone piling on here makes it seem bad in some manner and hence Brad is getting defensive.  It is nobody's business what he is doing as long as he is not hurting anyone.  Seems pretty clear he is not.  All of this nonsense about concern for his wife and kid's is a rationaliztion for people being nosy.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #182 on: June 05, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
All of this nonsense about concern for his wife and kid's is a rationaliztion for people being nosy.

You're right. Whatever. Do you really care either?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #183 on: June 05, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
The fully part is that there is NOTHING WRONG with this being a lottery like system. 

Agreed.  Nothing wrong with it. 

It was odd to me, and it still is, describing a case purchase as a "loss of money" due to it containing, or not containing, "great sketches". 

I think the incredibly high prices commanded by color sketches out of the Old School boxes, was not anticipated or planned, and could not have been part of the design of the series.  Looking back, it seems that the model was to simply include something extra special in each box, and adding to the fun were a few color sketches.  Maybe it WAS part of the design, and I'm wrong, but I can't fathom anyone anticipating $1,000-out-of-the box sketches being possible.   When the sketches started hitting those prices on the secondary market, straight-out-of-the-packs, and with boxes still available for retail price - it DID become a lottery. 

This happened with hologram inserts all the way back in the very early 1990's, and against expectation, it made its' way into a series called Old School.   What hopefully will NOT happen is that the influence of folks buying 50+ boxes will alter the direction of the series, or how it is structured.   If those select "mega-buyers" become the target market, I don't believe that's a good thing for the long-term health of the series.

I'd like to believe that this series does not NEED to contain any inserts that are selling for $1,000 straight-out-of-packs, in order to be healthy, and to continue.   

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: June 05, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »
You're right. Whatever. Do you really care either?

No, he does't  or sould you

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2011, 01:17:29 AM »
No, he does't  or sould you
Man why are you chiming in? I was done with this conversation yesterday. Ernie is just stoking a dying fire. Do whatever you want to whomever you want. I do not care. And what's with your spelling? Were you drunk when you made this post?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
Man why are you chiming in? I was done with this conversation yesterday. Ernie is just stoking a dying fire. Do whatever you want to whomever you want. I do not care. And what's with your spelling? Were you drunk when you made this post?

If you can post about it, someone else can comment about it.  You've said so yourself - or is that wrong, now?

A better guess about the spelling is that he was on his iPad when he made the post.  So, strictly-speaking, it was his typing that was off, not his spelling.   Speaking from personal experience, I've found that an iPad easily allows for a bit of multitasking, and its' on-screen keyboard allows for a bit of missing letters.  Combine the two, and you have drunken-looking posts.  If you're going to phone in your typing a bit, I think we can agree that a Wacky Packages forum is probably one of the safer place to do it.  Internet spelling criticism has a noble history, though, and I wouldn't want it to end. 

It's fun to criticize the accuracy of another person's criticism of accuracy.  

Oh, and don't bother responding.  I'm done with this conversation.    SOLD!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:18:27 AM by JasonLiebig »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
If you can post about it, someone else can comment about it.  You've said so yourself - or is that wrong, now?

A better guess about the spelling is that he was on his iPad when he made the post.  So, strictly-speaking, it was his typing that was off, not his spelling.   Speaking from personal experience, I've found that an iPad easily allows for a bit of multitasking, and its' on-screen keyboard allows for a bit of missing letters.  Combine the two, and you have drunken-looking posts.  If you're going to phone in your typing a bit, I think we can agree that a Wacky Packages forum is probably a safe place to do it.  

Well if this the case,when is Ron Zombie coming back?          I need my Ron TV
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:23:43 AM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »

Sorry about the spelling. I just grabbed my iPad before heading to bed. I'm done with this also.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2011, 08:28:11 AM »
                   quote author=BumChex link=topic=1263.msg30649#msg30649 date=1307373636
                       So now what are you going to do,OLDS 3 may not be out for 10 monthes?
                 You will be going through wacky packages withdrawal,may take some time to pass
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:30:50 AM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
                  quote author=BumChex link=topic=1263.msg30649#msg30649 date=1307373636
                       So now what are you going to do,OLDS 3 may not be out for 10 monthes?
                 You will be going through wacky packages withdrawal,may take some time to pass

I know, I can't wait!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Speaking of drunk....how did you determine this was a dying fire when there were like 25 posts on this topic along on Saturday :-)

Please be clear, Brad invited everyone to comment on his buying habits due to his deciding to post the details.  I just think it was nosy to start querying about his family impact.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
I just think it was nosy to start querying about his family impact.
You're right again. Nobody should care about anybody. Especially when they're well acquainted. Live and let suffer. Why should we care about anybody's children? And if anyone queries that a guy might have a problem that may affect his family we should shut that person down asap. Apparently that's the policy around here. Except I never queried about it. That's the mistake you and Rob both made. All I did was allude to it by joking about his kids college fund like Rob did about putting Brad's picture on the series 3 box. This topic is more interesting to some folks than any other so great! Let's keep it going!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »

A better guess about the spelling is that he was on his iPad when he made the post.  So, strictly-speaking, it was his typing that was off, not his spelling.   Speaking from personal experience, I've found that an iPad easily allows for a bit of multitasking, and its' on-screen keyboard allows for a bit of missing letters.  Combine the two, and you have drunken-looking posts.  If you're going to phone in your typing a bit, I think we can agree that a Wacky Packages forum is probably one of the safer place to do it.  Internet spelling criticism has a noble history, though, and I wouldn't want it to end. 

Wow, this was one of your shorter posts. Did you hire a good editor?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
Please be clear, Brad invited everyone to comment on his buying habits due to his deciding to post the details.  I just think it was nosy to start querying about his family impact.

Assuming Brad’s kids aren’t sleeping in tents in his backyard because their bedrooms are crammed full of OS2 pallets, an intervention is probably not required.    ;D

Hey Ernie, as a self-confessed wacky sketch addict, how many sketches do you own? I’ve never gotten the feeling you are into the sketches too much, and your tag line confuses me (an easy feat).

BTW, until now, I’ve never really taken notice of the 2 stars that appear under the bandage on the Band-Ache title and wonder what that is all about. The two stars seem a bit strange, out-of-place, and non-Wacky like. Maybe the stars add a bit of drama to the bandage being torn away . . .

Offline bandaches

« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
Assuming Brad’s kids aren’t sleeping in tents in his backyard because their bedrooms are crammed full of OS2 pallets, an intervention is probably not required.    ;D

Hey Ernie, as a self-confessed wacky sketch addict, how many sketches do you own? I’ve never gotten the feeling you are into the sketches too much, and your tag line confuses me (an easy feat).

BTW, until now, I’ve never really taken notice of the 2 stars that appear under the bandage on the Band-Ache title and wonder what that is all about. The two stars seem a bit strange, out-of-place, and non-Wacky like. Maybe the stars add a bit of drama to the bandage being torn away . . .

I had sketch fever through all the post card sets and olds1 so i suspect you havent followed all that closely.  I only recently cooled down on it.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
You're right again. Nobody should care about anybody. Especially when they're well acquainted. Live and let suffer. Why should we care about anybody's children? And if anyone queries that a guy might have a problem that may affect his family we should shut that person down asap. Apparently that's the policy around here. Except I never queried about it. That's the mistake you and Rob both made. All I did was allude to it by joking about his kids college fund like Rob did about putting Brad's picture on the series 3 box. This topic is more interesting to some folks than any other so great! Let's keep it going!
This misdirection game is fun...you of course are perfectly correct, everyone here is wrong and you are correct.  There is a rule here to never inquire about a person's family even when they specifically call out an ailment they have.  Great call out, you clearly paymuch more attention than anyone here!  Yes, we are all well aquainted, so much so that many have never met in person.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
This misdirection game is fun...you of course are perfectly correct, everyone here is wrong and you are correct.  There is a rule here to never inquire about a person's family even when they specifically call out an ailment they have.  Great call out, you clearly paymuch more attention than anyone here!  Yes, we are all well aquainted, so much so that many have never met in person.

I've met Brad's family. Have you?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
I've met Brad's family. Have you?
Much like jason called out, you should spend some time reading your own posts.  You were so truly concerned about brad's family that you called him right up and didn't use the forum as the mechanism for that comunication....

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2011, 04:29:50 AM »
Much like jason called out, you should spend some time reading your own posts.  You were so truly concerned about brad's family that you called him right up and didn't use the forum as the mechanism for that comunication....

I made a comment about Brad's spending and I've since over-explained myself ad nauseum. And what a big goddam waste of time that was. Now you're mincing my words into a fine paste. Have fun with that. Try it on your spaghetti. I'm through.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2011, 06:20:11 AM »

I do not base the hobby on value. But what i do value is my collection. And i dont like it when 1 person is responsible for the fluctuation in the value of my collection. I am a collector first and formost, i have never sold anything, i try to make sure i buy the best i can afford. Which isnt the best most of the time.

And because of her erratic buying and selling habits my Halloween sketches i bought for 100-150 can now be had for 40-60...THANKS FREAK!

If you've never sold anything and claim to be a collector first, why worry about the monetary value? Shouldn't the enjoyment outweigh the money? Can you even put a price on the enjoyment? I know I an unable to do so.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »
Wow, this was one of your shorter posts. Did you hire a good editor?

Wha?  I was done with this conversation moments after I posted.    Why are you stoking fires and rocking boats?  No one else cares but you....  

And you're still on the length of my posts?  Quit obsessing about length.... We GET it, you have an issue with length.

Did I spell that all correctly?

--------

Har har har

Just giving it right back to you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:48:47 AM by JasonLiebig »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
Wha?  I was done with this conversation moments after I posted.    Why are you stoking fires and rocking boats?  No one else cares but you....  

And you're still on the length of my posts?  Quit obsessing about length.... We GET it, you have an issue with length.

--------

Har har har

it's not the size of the pencil, it's how you write your name :great:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:55:59 AM by BumChex »

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2011, 12:38:55 PM »
U guys all need some real help,,,LOL

Offline bandaches

« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »
it's not the size of the pencil, it's how you write your name :great:
...and let's not forget the all important girth!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »

--------

Har har har

I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it. I regret so many posts and yet I still go on making them.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »
I regret so many posts and yet I still go on making them.

No doing without some ruing.
- Sigrid Undset

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #207 on: June 07, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »
No doing without some ruing.
- Sigrid Undset
:great:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #208 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:46 PM »
I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it. I regret so many posts and yet I still go on making them.

Don't we all... 

My own record of posts I wish I could take back has spoken for itself.   Saying something in person is one thing, but when you hit "post", the words are published.  And there's little turning back, at that point. 

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
Don't we all... 

My own record of posts I wish I could take back has spoken for itself.   Saying something in person is one thing, but when you hit "post", the words are published.  And there's little turning back, at that point. 

We are Publicist of Our Own Mind. Sounds like a new horror flick, or comedy spoof of one.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World