Author Topic: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless  (Read 73553 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
I love this idea!
Plus for OldS4, they could go one step further - just like OS4, do a Bum Chex/Choke Wagon thing, and print two different sheets - the second one having 2 different "replacement" stickers, along with 2 different checklists/puzzles to match. That sure would mix up the box contents. Totally "old school" too. :)  Unfortunately the extra cost in printing 2 different sticker sheets & checklists would probably kill this idea.

Maybe they could do it, if they do the math and think ahead. Ex. On the Olds 3 upcoming series, make the whole top row of an uncut sheet be one say replacement sticker, then just eliminate that row later in the printing Or when cutting the sheets save (X) amount of those cards to include in the boxes trade them out with the parody to be replaced, then just shred the rest. They know how to shred appearently. This would end up with the same result. Or just purposely make some titles in less amounts like back in the day, that way much trading takes place and or pasting them anyplace.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
I like how 1 person is single handedly ruining this hobby!    >:D

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
I like how 1 person is single handedly ruining this hobby!    >:D

Meaning WHO???

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »
There is only one person paying inflated prices, and selling the swill for pennies. If you're reading this topic you should know who.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
There is only one person paying inflated prices, and selling the swill for pennies. If you're reading this topic you should know who.

No one is paying inflated prices that I'm aware of. Your prospective of inflated prices is probably different than any one else's. Buying and selling is no different than trading. If your calling someone out you should just go ahead and say it and let them defend themselves. This has turned into a very bad conversation because how do you know what someone needs? How do you know what I need? I buy a bunch of stuff and to say I'm over paying is an insult to me.  Why say someone is paying inflated prices when, do you know what is an inflated price? Do you have any examples? If you follow the sketches you would know they were all not created equal.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:45:42 PM by BumChex »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:30 AM »
when is the last time anyone beat sportzfreak in an auction?? And she has to have everything. It was your auction Brad, if i wanted that sketch i would have had to out bid her, makeing it an inflated price. if she has money to burn, then instead of selling her swill for pennies, maybe she should burn it! She doesnt need the money, and prices and other sellers wouldnt suffer.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2011, 07:11:51 AM »
when is the last time anyone beat sportzfreak in an auction?? And she has to have everything. It was your auction Brad, if i wanted that sketch i would have had to out bid her, makeing it an inflated price. if she has money to burn, then instead of selling her swill for pennies, maybe she should burn it! She doesnt need the money, and prices and other sellers wouldnt suffer.

It's never fun to get outbid... constantly, but it happens.  Every time you or I win an auction, there is typically a loser, just behind our winning bid. 

Strictly speaking, if the listing is an open auction, no one is inflating the price - certainly not the winner.  It's the other bidders who are inflating it for the winner, who I'm sure would have been happy to pay much less.   

Using the term loosely, though, I suppose you could consider EVERY auction that has more than one bidder upping the final tally, as one that has an "inflated price". 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »
                  quote author=JasonLiebig link=topic=1263.msg30465#msg30465 date=1307023911
EBAY has a really good encrypted system,then how come we all know when the California chick is bidding
A joke in other wordz
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »

I see your point..she's "dumping" her excess inventory at pennies but she does have that right...the price isn't inflated if she's willing to pay for it...she might be over paying, but that's her right...will she be able to get a return of those prices probably not? but that's her problem...hence the auction model...i don't like the dumping, but its the nature of the marketplace "ebay" in this instance...

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
I see your point..she's "dumping" her excess inventory at pennies but she does have that right...the price isn't inflated if she's willing to pay for it...she might be over paying, but that's her right...will she be able to get a return of those prices probably not? but that's her problem...hence the auction model...i don't like the dumping, but its the nature of the marketplace "ebay" in this instance...

Which takes us full circle back to what i said and what this thread is really about.  I like how 1 person is single handedly ruining this hobby!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »

I like how 1 person is single handedly ruining this hobby!
Yep, one person ruined the whole hobby :sign0023:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »

Which takes us full circle back to what i said and what this thread is really about.  I like how 1 person is single handedly ruining this hobby!

Is the hobby ruined for you?  Because it's not ruined for me.   Before reading this thread, I wasn't even aware of one person winning all Wacky-related auctions.   There are other ways to get things, if this one person has dominated all Wacky-related auctions. 

I really enjoyed the Old School 2 release, and am still enjoying the stickers.  Looking forward to the next Old School series, and the next post cards, and even the next ANS. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2011, 10:57:59 AM »
Is the hobby ruined for you?  Because it's not ruined for me.   Before reading this thread, I wasn't even aware of one person winning all Wacky-related auctions.   There are other ways to get things, if this one person has dominated all Wacky-related auctions. 

I really enjoyed the Old School 2 release, and am still enjoying the stickers.  Looking forward to the next Old School series, and the next post cards, and even the next ANS. 

Your right, I may be ruining it also because I have won some auctions. I've sold a ton to other people as well. Everyone is getting in on it. No one is special.
It's like art. I would love to get a nice piece of art for around $500 but other keep bidding me up. Do you think I want to spend $1600? Come on! Those bastards that keep bidding me up are ruining the art collecting hobby.

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »
Your right, I may be ruining it also because I have won some auctions. I've sold a ton to other people as well. Everyone is getting in on it. No one is special.
It's like art. I would love to get a nice piece of art for around $500 but other keep bidding me up. Do you think I want to spend $1600? Come on! Those bastards that keep bidding me up are ruining the art collecting hobby.
[ CAN YOU AND WHOMEVER CHECK WITH EBAY AND INQUIRE IF YOU CAN HAVE 1 ID FOR SELLING AND A DIFFERENT ID FOR BUYING]
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
Yep, one person ruined the whole hobby :sign0023:

As far as I'm concerned the only thing she influences significantly are the colored sketches, and how many of us are going after multiples of those?  I haven't felt her presence that much with b&w sketches.  I guess she competed with me with the flash golds but I don't think she beat me out on any auctions.  She does bother the sellers sometimes with how low she sells stuff, but what are you gonna do? 

To me she is very nice to deal with and she is a collector, not a seller.  If anyone is affecting the hobby in a negative way it's the dealers and buyers who buy things that we collect with the sole intention of profiting from them.  They could care less about the actual cards and art.  That to me is an issue.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »
From what I understand there are "several" people "running" the hobby. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the game! I came to learn this very quickly as a new collector. You collect because you love it, but you probably wont have it all! Come on dude, its life! Would you still be complaining if you were that person? I know I wouldn't be! :P
KIM :)

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2011, 04:08:39 PM »
As far as I'm concerned the only thing she influences significantly are the colored sketches, and how many of us are going after multiples of those?  I haven't felt her presence that much with b&w sketches.  I guess she competed with me with the flash golds but I don't think she beat me out on any auctions.  She does bother the sellers sometimes with how low she sells stuff, but what are you gonna do? 

To me she is very nice to deal with and she is a collector, not a seller.  If anyone is affecting the hobby in a negative way it's the dealers and buyers who buy things that we collect with the sole intention of profiting from them.  They could care less about the actual cards and art.  That to me is an issue.

I couldn't have said it better!! I hate when I loose an auction just to see that it is now back up on eBay for 4x the winning bid. I don't mind loosing to someone that is going to appreciate what they won and is a true collector.

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
I couldn't have said it better!! I hate when I loose an auction just to see that it is now back up on eBay for 4x the winning bid. I don't mind loosing to someone that is going to appreciate what they won and is a true collector.
6 MONTHES AFTER SHE WON AS MANY OLDS 1 SKETCH AUCTIONS AS SHE POSSIBLY COULD,SHE WAS TRYING TO PEDDLE THOSE SAME SKETCHES,PROBLEM IS SHE OVERPAID FOR THOSE SKETCHES.
COLLECTOR MY BUTT!!!!!!!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
To me, the marketplace and the hobby are not the same thing.  They are certainly connected in many ways, but in most things, they are not.  At least not from where I'm sitting.

The marketplace did not keep me from buying the Old School boxes I wanted to, nor did it affect the quality of the product, or change the price I had to pay to get my boxes.  Though there have been instances, in the comic book and trading card hobbies, where the marketplace has hurt both of those aspects of a hobby.  In this case, it ain't happening. 

If anything, the person paying high amounts for color sketches injected an unexpected kind of energy into the hobby...an energy that probably can't last, and if that's the only hobby you're into.. Well, heads-up, that wasn't all that real to begin with.  But there's still so much to have fun with.  I just don't think the instant win aspect can stick around, series after series...  But that's just me.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
6 MONTHES AFTER SHE WON AS MANY OLDS 1 SKETCH AUCTIONS AS SHE POSSIBLY COULD,SHE WAS TRYING TO PEDDLE THOSE SAME SKETCHES,PROBLEM IS SHE OVERPAID FOR THOSE SKETCHES.
COLLECTOR MY BUTT!!!!!!!

No, she really is a collector.  She just is a little erratic with what she decides to collect and I think she changes her mind sometimes, and anything she sells is usually below market. If she was in it for money she wouldn't re-sell stuff so cheap!  

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
COLLECTOR MY BUTT!!!!!!!

A little short sided IMO, so you have every wacky you have ever bought and have never changed your mind on a card or got a better card and sold or traded the old one? It seems to me that you are missing half the fun of collecting :^) I know I have.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
No, she really is a collector.  She just is a little erratic with what she decides to collect and I think she changes her mind sometimes, and anything she sells is usually below market. If she was in it for money she wouldn't re-sell stuff so cheap!  

IMO, anything that anyone sells on e-bay for any price is their business. Also, I do not think it is ruining the hobby at all. If anything, it is giving some collectors an extremely affordable option. If the demand was such, then these would be ending up for a lot more - some do, some don't and it's all driven by the demand of the particular items and even the timing. I also think that, because it is so easy for anyone to "get in" to the hobby because of low prices, then it is more likely they will start to collect even more if they like it. Bottom line, everyone is free to do as they please, bid - don't bid, collect - don't collect, collect like a completest - collect just base sets - whatever, who cares?

I am just glad that there are Wackys right now and that there is enough interest even to have a cool forum such as this! There was a span back in the day before e-bay and the internet in the late eighties and nineties when there were no new packs or cards to be had.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2011, 04:16:48 AM »
COLLECTOR MY BUTT!!!!!!!

She is definitely a collector.  And collectors 'upgrade' their collections at times, which results in previous purchases being offered back for sale.  If she took a loss on some items, that's her choice, and I don't see where that should be a problem for anyone here.  Most of the 'dealers' out there would have just tried to jack up the asking prices.

« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2011, 05:46:57 AM »

A little short sided IMO, so you have every wacky you have ever bought and have never changed your mind on a card or got a better card and sold or traded the old one? It seems to me that you are missing half the fun of collecting :^) I know I have.
A TRUE COLLECTOR DOES NOT NEED BOTH COLORED PUPSI',MORE ACCURATE DESCRIPTION WOULD BE A CHICK WHOSE GOT MONEY TO BURN.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2011, 05:53:49 AM »

A TRUE COLLECTOR DOES NOT NEED BOTH COLORED PUPSI',MORE ACCURATE DESCRIPTION WOULD BE A CHICK WHOSE GOT MONEY TO BURN.

Hey Lance, you seem to be struggling to keep your posts outside of the pre-posters window lately.  Should I PM you the Forum Standard Operational Procedures (FSOP) PDF file so you can brush up on it?  No charge of course!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2011, 06:06:28 AM »
IMO, anything that anyone sells on e-bay for any price is their business. Also, I do not think it is ruining the hobby at all. If anything, it is giving some collectors an extremely affordable option. If the demand was such, then these would be ending up for a lot more - some do, some don't and it's all driven by the demand of the particular items and even the timing. I also think that, because it is so easy for anyone to "get in" to the hobby because of low prices, then it is more likely they will start to collect even more if they like it. Bottom line, everyone is free to do as they please, bid - don't bid, collect - don't collect, collect like a completest - collect just base sets - whatever, who cares?

I am just glad that there are Wackys right now and that there is enough interest even to have a cool forum such as this! There was a span back in the day before e-bay and the internet in the late eighties and nineties when there were no new packs or cards to be had.

I don't think anyone is disputing that she has the "right" to buy and sell whatever she wants at whatever price. However, that doesn't necessarily make it good for the hobby. As an example, if sportzfreak decided she would buy every box of OLDS2, keep every copy of Stinkin' Legs, and then dump all the other product for pennies, I can't imagine anyone being pleased about it, though she is within her rights.

So allow for the possibility that her collecting behaviors, while within her rights, may be detrimental to others. That's not necessarily the case, but it's certainly possible.

I would suggest that the ideal mindset for a collector is respectful selfishness. By that I mean a collector has the right to pursue his or her own interests, but it would be nice to do so while helping/not hurting others as much as possible.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »

I would suggest that the ideal mindset for a collector is respectful selfishness. By that I mean a collector has the right to pursue his or her own interests, but it would be nice to do so while helping/not hurting others as much as possible.

That's true too.  I remember 10 years ago or so when Kirk Daniels was winning all of the hi-end auctions like die-cuts, S16, etc., that I wouldn't even bother bidding because I know I would just be frustrated.  Then to add insult to injury I later learned that he had multiple sets of what he was still buying, like almost hoarding certain series.  I think at one point he had 15 complete die-cut sets.  He was well within his right but it's hard not to have resentment with a situation like that.       

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »
That's true too.  I remember 10 years ago or so when Kirk Daniels was winning all of the hi-end auctions like die-cuts, S16, etc., that I wouldn't even bother bidding because I know I would just be frustrated.  Then to add insult to injury I later learned that he had multiple sets of what he was still buying, like almost hoarding certain series.  I think at one point he had 15 complete die-cut sets.  He was well within his right but it's hard not to have resentment with a situation like that.       

When those cello funpacks were still not common, someone auctioned about 12 of them at the same time. Kirk won eleven of them, and ran me up to near my max bid on the 12th.

« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
              Rob,are you the new RonZombie?           Free Of Charge[FOC] soundz just like Ron

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2011, 08:15:21 AM »
              Rob,are you the new RonZombie?           Free Of Charge[FOC] soundz just like Ron

Nope!!!  I'm (not) Ron Z!!!!???  Just still mee..........Dr Popper!!!!  Have a (Wacky) weekend my frend!!!!!!!!!  haha

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
COLLECTOR MY BUTT!!!!!!!

Dude, Well said..I saw that too...who was she going to sell those too except back to herself...I think she realized that after the OLDS1 sketch auctions...

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »
I would suggest that the ideal mindset for a collector is respectful selfishness.

By that I mean a collector has the right to pursue his or her own interests, but it would be nice to do so while helping/not hurting others as much as possible.

A Collectors Code of Conduct - I like it.

"respectful selfishness" lol

Some people might believe that's an oxymoron.   :-\

« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
quote author=Hustler08 link=topic=1263.msg30521#msg30521 date=1307117045
Hopefully this back and forth banter will not take any money out of Jay's pocket,we will find out tonight.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
No one is paying inflated prices that I'm aware of. Your prospective of inflated prices is probably different than any one else's. Buying and selling is no different than trading. If your calling someone out you should just go ahead and say it and let them defend themselves. This has turned into a very bad conversation because how do you know what someone needs? How do you know what I need? I buy a bunch of stuff and to say I'm over paying is an insult to me.  Why say someone is paying inflated prices when, do you know what is an inflated price? Do you have any examples? If you follow the sketches you would know they were all not created equal.
The real question is: Why would you care if someone thinks you are overpaying for something?  I don't think it is you this person is referring to but I believe this person is wrong in assuming there is only one high spender on sketches.  Regardless, I am still lost on why you care.  Saying someone is an overspender is only as insulting as you allow it to be.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2011, 10:13:57 AM »
This is a fair comment.  If Leslie is in fact selling her extras at far below normal prices just because she doesn't care how much she gets in return, it would hurt the people who would like to get a decent return on their extras.  I can see Leslie's selling habit has being on the careless almost obnoxious side. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/