Author Topic: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless  (Read 73645 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
Check out this auction from the sketch card queen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-2-COMPLETE-STARTER-COLLECTION-/160585316043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563a176cb

Yep, $5.99 for a base set, checklist set, 5x7 set, concept card set, promos -- the whole shebang except for the sketches!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-2-COMPLETE-STARTER-COLLECTION-/160585316043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563a176cb

Yep, $5.99 for a base set, checklist set, 5x7 set, concept card set, promos -- the whole shebang except for the sketches!

The title should actually read all modern Wacky series (and most of the original series) virtually worthless except rare chase cards, bonus stickers, short prints and sketches. Check Ebay. Unless it's sketches, colored borders or rare bonus cards nothing is selling well except for the the spot uniformed buy here and there and that includes the OS (sans series 1 and the last few series). If you want super hard chase cards in Old School we can do that. I can't guarantee more "worth" but that would be a possibility.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »
The title should actually read all modern Wacky series (and most of the original series) virtually worthless except rare chase cards, bonus stickers, short prints and sketches. Check Ebay. Unless it's sketches, colored borders or rare bonus cards nothing is selling well except for the the spot uniformed buy here and there and that includes the OS (sans series 1 and the last few series). If you want super hard chase cards in Old School we can do that. I can't guarantee more "worth" but that would be a possibility.
If I was looking for return on my money, I wouldn't be buying Wackys.  I collect them for the joy of collecting, (yes I do go after the sketches but only for my own personal collection).  I truly hope we don't make this "hobby" solely about money (I.E. Comics in the 80's or the sports cards).  To call something "worthless" when value can be contrived from other facets of the hobby is just one sided.  I do agree that it is exciting to get a rare sketch or gold foil card, but for us who do this not for the money but the enjoyment, see the whole picture.  From reading this forum for about a year I know a lot of you like getting the whole series even though those cards are "worthless".  I heard it on the update for series 8.  Please everyone remember, "it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it" Not what a guide says it is.   

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »

She has done that with other series too.  She buys a ton of product and then sells it for a third of what everyone else does.  That's not even worth the work involved to sell it in my opinion.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
She has done that with other series too.  She buys a ton of product and then sells it for a third of what everyone else does.  That's not even worth the work involved to sell it in my opinion.

Yea..she sells everything dirt cheap 'cause she bought so much product chasing the sketch cards..bumchex is doing the same..so now the Lynch sketches are vitually worthless as well...i don't even think its worth producing s Series 3 - just produce sketch cards that's it...even the color sketches have lost a lot of value from OLDS1...oh well...they should just let those two buy everything and the rest of wait until they sell their swill at rock bottom prices..."lowest on ebay" WOW!! what a deal...... :P :P :P

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
Yea..she sells everything dirt cheap 'cause she bought so much product chasing the sketch cards..bumchex is doing the same..so now the Lynch sketches are vitually worthless as well...i don't even think its worth producing s Series 3 - just produce sketch cards that's it...even the color sketches have lost a lot of value from OLDS1...oh well...they should just let those two buy everything and the rest of wait until they sell their swill at rock bottom prices..."lowest on ebay" WOW!! what a deal...... :P :P :P

Having these things drop in price isn't the worst thing.  It will just discourage the heavy buyers from buying a lot, but it will allow others to get them when normally they would pass because they cost too much.  If these series keep coming out there's no way collectors are going to keep being able to keep up the pace to spend hundreds on sketch cards. 

Having said that though there's no need to give them away. 

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
Having these things drop in price isn't the worst thing.  It will just discourage the heavy buyers from buying a lot, but it will allow others to get them when normally they would pass because they cost too much.  If these series keep coming out there's no way collectors are going to keep being able to keep up the pace to spend hundreds on sketch cards. 

Having said that though there's no need to give them away. 

Yea..except for Bumchex he seems to have endless amounts of money on sketch cards..selling his swill off... :o...your right though it will be tough to keep up the pace...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »

My point is that the sketch cards are wholly responsible for this. Let's say there were no sketch cards. In order to assemble what this seller is offering for 5.99, you'd have to buy at least 3 boxes (for $150-180) and engage in some trading to boot. Do you think the master set would be available for 5.99 under those circumstances? No way.

Just like happened with the 2nd flashback series, no one who is uninterested in the chase items will bother buying any boxes, because they know everything they want can be obtained basically for free on the secondary market. I'm actually pleased about it, as I can get everything I want for a song (and in fact it's a very nice series).  I was only referring to the fact that the non-sketch material is precipitously devalued by the sketch cards, that's all.

If I were you or Topps, my concern would be the bottom falling out of the market for sketch cards since those buyers are being positioned as the main support for these series.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:31:46 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »
My point is that the sketch cards are wholly responsible for this. Let's say there were no sketch cards. In order to assemble what this seller is offering for 5.99, you'd have to buy at least 3 boxes (for $150-180) and engage in some trading to boot. Do you think the master set would be available for 5.99 under those circumstances? No way.

Just like happened with the 2nd flashback series, no one who is uninterested in the chase items will bother buying any boxes, because they know everything they want can be obtained basically for free on the secondary market. I'm actually pleased about it, as I can get everything I want for a song (and in fact it's a very nice series).  I was only referring to the fact that the non-sketch material is precipitously devalued by the sketch cards, that's all.

If I were you or Topps, my concern would be the bottom falling out of the market for sketch cards since those buyers are being positioned as the main support for these series.

Yes, but this same thing happened for series one as well in terms of the non-sketch items being very easy to get. That was always intentional. While I think there are people who will pick them up on Ebay and the secondary market I think most collectors want to get the sealed box and open them up themselves. That is part of the process. That being said I think that sketch cards are driving pretty much every card series now. I'm talking sports, Star Wars, Cereal Killers, GPK, Wacky postcards and everything else. Probably not ANS because the odds were so lousy but if they make ANS8 with much better odds I'd bet that would spark more of a frenzy.

I agree with Dr. Popper in that I hope the sketch card prices drop. You probably won't lose the case buyers (though they may have to sell more to continue as they are) but I think you stand to gain many more sketch collectors (which translates to more boxes sold). I know I'd rather collect all the Jay sketches for $10 instead of $20-$30 and I'd probably start picking up other cooler sketches I like. Most people are happy with their one or few sketches but at cheap prices they may start really collecting them. The inflated sketch prices are really the root of all the problems with the postcards and OLDS series the past couple years in terms of the pre-sale and the quick postcard sell-outs along which in turn has caused frustration and anger from collectors with not as deep pockets.

We could easily make the base set "worth" more by short printing some cards but people were resistant to that when I asked. That is basically the reason it is so cheap. You practically get two sets in each box. I have a few ideas for series three that will not affect the ease of putting together a set but will take care of some of the swill. Give some of it more of a purpose.

Sorry, I didn't get your point initially. I thought you were upset about the value being worthless. The sketches are really the only thing intended to be a bit harder to collect and should have the most perceived value within the series. They are also the best thing to do this with as I think people would be upset if any of the regular parody stickers were extremely hard to get. The sketches are easier for people not collect if they don;t fall within their budget or interest.

PS - Glad you liked the series.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »
If you want super hard chase cards in Old School we can do that. I can't guarantee more "worth" but that would be a possibility.

Huh? The "super-hard" chase cards are already here, they are the sketches. That's what's rendering the rest of the stuff worthless. Removing the chase cards is what would lend some value (not a ton, but some) to the series. Harder chase cards would make it worse, not better.

EDIT: Just read your response above and I understand what you were saying now.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:39:18 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »

Bitter....bitter...party of one....

Who cares how I or others collect. Each collector collects for their own reasons. I like the whole series. I have a ton of it. It's not an endless cash stream either. You, looking through a window, think you know what I'm doing but no one does except for me. You don't know what Leslies doing either she has her own motives as well. If any of us collect for value then you will be disapointed and you shouldn't be collecting. I've collected enough sports card based on value to change my whole philosophy on collecting.
I don't know why I'm going to tell you this but I think I need to. I just added up what I have bought and sold and I am down $400. I have over 100 sketch cards and over 70 in my keeper stash. I also still have about 40 unopened pack boxes, 30 5x7 sets, 15 concept card sets. I've had to make some tough choices on what to sell but I'm really happy with my keeper stash. Selling cards is the same as trading except you use the cash to buy what you want. No difference!
She posted that auction as an auction and not BIN she has no control what it will fetch. It could have been bad timing who knows? I think this is one of the best series and I even have a piece of art coming from it. That is how much I love it.
If you bought 5 boxes and aren't satisfied with your sketches then sell them! Use the money to buy what makes you happy. No one is saying you have to keep what you get from your initial order. Change it!

Offline Gen 4

• ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
  • ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:41:02 PM »
I love Old School 2!! The base cards are GREAT…the sketches and other stuff are “okay”. I seem to be one of the few who likes less sketch cards that have ANS7 type odds. Anyway, I'm just happy that Wacky Packages are still being made.

LONG LIVE WP!!!  :great:

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
I think that something is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it and that we all collect for our own reasons. For me personally, I collect because I enjoy the suspense of opening each pack and not knowing what I am getting and because each card really does make me laugh. It starts out as enjoyment and then begins to turn into a task that needs to be completed. I have so many holes in my collection, but for me, that is the best part- something to chase, a hobby, my unique identity. We all collect to different degrees and that is the fun in it. The world is a big place and there are plenty of wackies! That is what is so great about this forum even...we can talk, trade, support, and sell to each other. The key to keeping value and worth is to recruit new wackateers like myself ;)

Long live Wacky Packages!
KIM :)

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 08:30:41 PM »
I love Old School 2!! The base cards are GREAT…the sketches and other stuff are “okay”. I seem to be one of the few who likes less sketch cards that have ANS7 type odds. Anyway, I'm just happy that Wacky Packages are still being made.

LONG LIVE WP!!!  :great:

No gen 4, I like less sketch cards and love ANS7 for that reason. I also love Flashbacks for that reason!!! I guess we are wacky! 

Offline Gen 4

• ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
  • ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »
No gen 4, I like less sketch cards and love ANS7 for that reason. I also love Flashbacks for that reason!!! I guess we are wacky! 

It's go to know I'm not alone!  ;D

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 04:42:07 AM »

I guess I am a little disappointed to see them go for that cheap, but hubby goes through the same thing with GPK's. It is not just wackies. The GPK flashback base set of 180 goes for $15-$20 and that is the same scenario. Somebody got a heck of a deal! I just remind myself its a hobby, not a business. Also, it is good to have the option of having time to go through putting a set together or just buying outright. I have bought several sets of things outright at great deals thankfully. This enabled me to get myself started collecting and speed the process of filling holes in my collection. I still have holes and really look forward to deals like the above. If I were caught up, I would ignore those deals and buy my own boxes.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 05:21:16 AM »
I guess I am a little disappointed to see them go for that cheap, but hubby goes through the same thing with GPK's. It is not just wackies. The GPK flashback base set of 180 goes for $15-$20 and that is the same scenario. Somebody got a heck of a deal! I just remind myself its a hobby, not a business. Also, it is good to have the option of having time to go through putting a set together or just buying outright. I have bought several sets of things outright at great deals thankfully. This enabled me to get myself started collecting and speed the process of filling holes in my collection. I still have holes and really look forward to deals like the above. If I were caught up, I would ignore those deals and buy my own boxes.

There is still the fun of having boxes, ripping open packs, and putting sets and chase sets together...you really get into it more than others doing it for you..if you have the time and energy..

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 05:33:54 AM »
There is still the fun of having boxes, ripping open packs, and putting sets and chase sets together...you really get into it more than others doing it for you..if you have the time and energy..

Absolutely, and that is exactly what I am saying. *if you have the time and energy* The deals like above on ebay from card kings and queens allow new collectors to cost effectively fill holes in a collection with bonuses. I have additionally had the joy of ripping open a box of packs and putting chase sets together when I have the time. It all depends.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 05:39:49 AM »

I agree - building sets can be a lot of fun, and trading with people totally adds to that aspect.  And I like having extras to stick and make magnets, etc.

Another fun aspect is that I'm planning on giving away a lot of ANS7 stickers (and maybe ANS8??) this Halloween, to encourage kids in Wacky collecting.  My problem is that I don't think kids will really appreciate the Old School sets, so I hesitate to give them Old School stickers, even though I have a bunch of extra sets.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 07:03:10 AM »
Huh? The "super-hard" chase cards are already here, they are the sketches. That's what's rendering the rest of the stuff worthless. Removing the chase cards is what would lend some value (not a ton, but some) to the series. Harder chase cards would make it worse, not better.

EDIT: Just read your response above and I understand what you were saying now.

The bottom-line with the sketch cards is that they sell boxes, and lot's of them.  The reason the base items drop in value is because the boxes sell so fast that the market gets hit with a bunch of it all at once. Without the sketches or tough chasers they base stuff would sell for higher in the secondary market, but there wouldn't be nearly as much hitting the market.  Maybe they would still sell out over time, but I have my doubts.  Selling out stock fast is better than selling them slow too.  It's good for their cash flow, and helps get the next series out quicker. 

Love them or hate them, sketch cards are here and don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon!  If I wasn't a nutty-collector like I am I would just get one sketch card per series and be happy with that.  For the completist collector the Old School series is a piece of cake compared to the Flashbacks and ANS7, and probably ANS8.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »

She posted that auction as an auction and not BIN she has no control what it will fetch.

Nope, it was a 4.99 starting bid with a 5.99 BIN. There's another one up there now with the same format.

I personally don't care how anyone collects or what anything ends up being worth. Let me try to summarize my two concerns as succinctly as possible:

1. This current model of using sketch cards to move boxes will generate sales to sketch collectors and will kill sales to most others. We can argue this point, but I can't imagine too many people will continually be willing to spend $150 for something they can get on ebay for $5 just for the joy of ripping packs. If this mentality sets in, and leads people to value the non-sketch material accordingly  in their minds, and then people get sick of sketches, it could have a significant negative impact on overall sales going forward.

2. If I were Dave Gross, it would bother me that the non-sketch material I worked so hard on is being handled like swill with everyone clamoring for the sketch cards. While everyone here respects and likes the overall series, the mental image of people ripping boxes, pulling and examining the sketch card, and throwing the rest on the scrap heap would bother me whether it increases sales or not. Evidently he's not bothered, but to me there is something unseemly about it, as it creates the vibe that the sketches are what's cool and important and the rest is swill.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
Nope, it was a 4.99 starting bid with a 5.99 BIN. There's another one up there now with the same format.

I personally don't care how anyone collects or what anything ends up being worth. Let me try to summarize my two concerns as succinctly as possible:

1. This current model of using sketch cards to move boxes will generate sales to sketch collectors and will kill sales to most others. We can argue this point, but I can't imagine too many people will continually be willing to spend $150 for something they can get on ebay for $5 just for the joy of ripping packs. If this mentality sets in, and leads people to value the non-sketch material accordingly  in their minds, and then people get sick of sketches, it could have a significant negative impact on overall sales going forward.

2. If I were Dave Gross, it would bother me that the non-sketch material I worked so hard on is being handled like swill with everyone clamoring for the sketch cards. While everyone here respects and likes the overall series, the mental image of people ripping boxes, pulling and examining the sketch card, and throwing the rest on the scrap heap would bother me whether it increases sales or not. Evidently he's not bothered, but to me there is something unseemly about it, as it creates the vibe that the sketches are what's cool and important and the rest is swill.

And to make matters worse..some of the sketches themselves are almost swill as well selling for under $10 are a result of the dilusion of OLDS2 boxes and # of sketches vs. OLDS1. Specifically Jay's seem to be in this bunch..

Box Logic - $49.95+S&H = ($4.99 Base set + all extras + $10-$15 avg sketch card) = $20 on Ebay - loses 50%+ of its value w/sketches falling as well...aside from the 2 fanatics buying boxes like candy, where's the motivation going into OLDS3...with a more than 50% savings v. Topps or any pre-order as well..math doesn't work - unless you pull a color sketch...yeahhhhh ;D

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »

I can tell you that I have already reached that mentality.  I won't be buying full boxes of ANS or OLDS going forward.  I will just wait for deals like this to appear on eBay and get the base sets and be done with it.  I have spent too much money on this swill as it is!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »

We could easily make the base set "worth" more by short printing some cards but people were resistant to that when I asked. That is basically the reason it is so cheap. You practically get two sets in each box. I have a few ideas for series three that will not affect the ease of putting together a set but will take care of some of the swill. Give some of it more of a purpose.

As a big fan of Old School, I would worry about tinkering with things too much.  As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".  That being said, I'd be curious as to what ideas might tweak/boost series 3.  However, I think you've got a very successful formula with good quality stuff, so don't tinker too much.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »

Dave, as far as your 2nd point, I can see how it could bother Dave a little too, but on the other hand he's obviously looking at the big picture, and if sketch cards help the success of his series than it's a positive, not a negative.  There are two reasons the sketch cards get more attention than the rest of the series.  First, they are rarer, and second, there is an element of variety and creativity with them, as they are all different, which to me makes them fun to collect. 

Also, just because something doesn't sell well doesn't mean it's "swill".  I guess you can call it swill from purely a financial angle, but we all know they are more than just value.  Most of us don't collect them for value, and like Brad says if that's a collector's motive they are probably going to come up short. 

The other thing is the seller you are basing your points on is not at all reflective of the average sellers.  She is at the extreme end of things to say the least.  I could go to the other extreme and show you 10 auctions from Clint that make the series look like it's worth a lot, but he's probably not selling much at those prices.  You really need to look at the average selling prices, not what one particular seller is doing.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »

The other thing is the seller you are basing your points on is not at all reflective of the average sellers.  She is at the extreme end of things to say the least.  I could go to the other extreme and show you 10 auctions from Clint that make the series look like it's worth a lot, but he's probably not selling much at those prices.  You really need to look at the average selling prices, not what one particular seller is doing.

It may be extreme, but you have to admit, with two individuals sitting on 100+ boxes they want to get rid of, prices will plummet. The more series people see this happen with, the more they will wait it out and let the sellers compete against each other.

I'm a living example of this to some extent. I didn't buy any Flashback 2 after Matt Stock gave me two boxes of base material for free on Flashback 1, because I didn't care about the color variations, and was able to trade for the few bonus cards I wanted. I did pony up for a few OLDS1 boxes, but soon regretted it when I saw I had vastly overpaid for the items I wanted. That directly caused me not to order any boxes of OLDS2.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »

I'm a living example of this to some extent. I didn't buy any Flashback 2 after Matt Stock gave me two boxes of base material for free on Flashback 1, because I didn't care about the color variations, and was able to trade for the few bonus cards I wanted. I did pony up for a few OLDS1 boxes, but soon regretted it when I saw I had vastly overpaid for the items I wanted. That directly caused me not to order any boxes of OLDS2.

So you are more on the conservative side of things and can get the base sets very cheap that way, which is fine.  If you don't want the tough chasers and/or sketch cards and are willing to get them after the craze has died down, then they can be bought very cheaply.  I for one put a value on the opening process and building sets, and the excitement of possibly getting one of the tougher cards, but I can understand someone not wanting to do that, especially if they don't like them.   

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
Yea..except for Bumchex he seems to have endless amounts of money on sketch cards..selling his swill off... :o...your right though it will be tough to keep up the pace...

I've never understood the issues some people bring up concerning Brad and Leslie. Neither are buying large quantities to be dealers. They are actually collecting the sketches. Buy boxes, open them, save the stuff you want, immediately sell the stuff you don't, use that money to add to your collection and then repeat. As Brad said he now has 70 KEEPER sketches and is looking for more. It's very smart. Both of them buying during the regular sales period does not affect anyone else so what's the big deal? The pre-sale, yes, but Brad ended up cancelling orders to help other out and neither can be blamed for the initial problem with the pre-sale. No one expected it to sell that quickly based on the previous pre-sale. Gotta use the data you have.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »
And to make matters worse..some of the sketches themselves are almost swill as well selling for under $10 are a result of the dilusion of OLDS2 boxes and # of sketches vs. OLDS1. Specifically Jay's seem to be in this bunch..

Box Logic - $49.95+S&H = ($4.99 Base set + all extras + $10-$15 avg sketch card) = $20 on Ebay - loses 50%+ of its value w/sketches falling as well...aside from the 2 fanatics buying boxes like candy, where's the motivation going into OLDS3...with a more than 50% savings v. Topps or any pre-order as well..math doesn't work - unless you pull a color sketch...yeahhhhh ;D

As far as "worth" goes once all boxes are eventually sold then there will be a minor bump up. As has already been pointed out if you are collecting Wackys for an investment that is a bad idea as ALL Wacky sets have lost and will lose value over time as there are really not too many more people that are going to enter the hobby (in fanatical buying terms). This is not a new trend. The ANS, postcards and even OS read the same way.

As for box logic, first,  Jay's sketches are less than half the amount of the total so you have the 50% chance to get a different artist. Second, if you get a Jay sketch you are getting a hand drawn piece from one of the original king of Wackys which I know most people are happy to keep. If you are looking to turn it right around to sell, oh well. There is also value in something called fun. You know, collecting, opening boxes and packs, surprise, marveling over that sketch. You are criticizing Brad but to me what he is doing is more noble as a collector then if this is how you view it.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 11:59:43 AM »

I think the other stuff gets it's due when everyone enjoys that first box and seeing the stickers for the first time so that works for me. I know people check them out in the more quieter times as well! I have had plenty of people on the mailing list I have who are not forum members write me about the series and the stickers. It's not a big deal though I agree that there was way more interest in discussing the gags, images and what not pre-sketch cards. I guess I do know how you feel with what you were saying about lack of OS talk as discussing them is lots of fun!  When we all do ANS we never really know what all those kids across the country are thinking about the cards so at least we get some feedback from this forum. Again, I have some ideas going forward for the "swill".

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 12:06:47 PM »
                 quoting author=slamjim link=topic=1263.msg29531#msg29531 date=1304967583
Any chance for OLDS bonus cards and OLDS bonus boxes in future series ?

"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
I agree - building sets can be a lot of fun, and trading with people totally adds to that aspect.  And I like having extras to stick and make magnets, etc.

Another fun aspect is that I'm planning on giving away a lot of ANS7 stickers (and maybe ANS8??) this Halloween, to encourage kids in Wacky collecting.  My problem is that I don't think kids will really appreciate the Old School sets, so I hesitate to give them Old School stickers, even though I have a bunch of extra sets.

Fabulous idea!!! Def wouldn't give OS away though!

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »

....and I also meant to say that we started my daughter young at 2 1/2 collecting cards. I bought her little mermaid and pocohontas cards to start out. We open the packs together, build the sets, put them in her little binder together, and read the cards at bedtime (they have movie scene stories on them). She is familiar with wackies though!

Offline badmonkey64

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
First, I have been following the forum for quite awhile now, but I have never posted before. I have never been an active poster on any forums actually.  But I find the discussion of our hobby and the value of collections intriguing.  As we all know, something only has value if someone is willing to buy it.  I think I can speak for most of us that are currently collecting, that our interest stems from our childhood. (You know, when you told your mother that you had to have a quarter so that you could buy five packs, “because that was the only the way they sell them mom!”).

I collect for myself, but yes I also try to acquire extras in the hope that there may be some value like there is with some of my original collection.  If our hobby falls into disfavor, and they have no value, at the very least it is something that I hope to pass along to my grandchildren, as something that I was “into”. 

But, I feel our hobby is feeling a pressure that we have all caused, and that very well may kill it.  Most of us are probably old enough, with at least some disposable income where we can, if not to buy cases outright, at least buy packs at $1.99, or as with the erasers, $2.99. The people that we really want to get into the hobby now, or sons, daughters and grandchildren can’t afford these prices on a regular basis.  If it takes 24 packs to make a base set that’s a lot of allowance!

I would say to those people that are willing to sell a base set for almost nothing, that you would do better for us as a community to give your set to a youngster, along with some unopened packs.  Maybe if it is a new series, don’t even give them the full set, but yet large enough to peak their interest.

Selfishly this will prolong the value of our collections (investments perhaps), as in 20 to 30 years those young men and women will make the same circle we have with the nostalgia in collecting Wacky Packages.

I have no marketing or economic background, so I do not know at what price point Topps can sell packs.  But unless there is a realistic price that new collectors can enter our hobby, we are only all just “playing with each other”.

Just my thoughts, happy collecting.     

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
First, I have been following the forum for quite awhile now, but I have never posted before. I have never been an active poster on any forums actually.  But I find the discussion of our hobby and the value of collections intriguing.  As we all know, something only has value if someone is willing to buy it.  I think I can speak for most of us that are currently collecting, that our interest stems from our childhood. (You know, when you told your mother that you had to have a quarter so that you could buy five packs, “because that was the only the way they sell them mom!”).

I collect for myself, but yes I also try to acquire extras in the hope that there may be some value like there is with some of my original collection.  If our hobby falls into disfavor, and they have no value, at the very least it is something that I hope to pass along to my grandchildren, as something that I was “into”. 

But, I feel our hobby is feeling a pressure that we have all caused, and that very well may kill it.  Most of us are probably old enough, with at least some disposable income where we can, if not to buy cases outright, at least buy packs at $1.99, or as with the erasers, $2.99. The people that we really want to get into the hobby now, or sons, daughters and grandchildren can’t afford these prices on a regular basis.  If it takes 24 packs to make a base set that’s a lot of allowance!

I would say to those people that are willing to sell a base set for almost nothing, that you would do better for us as a community to give your set to a youngster, along with some unopened packs.  Maybe if it is a new series, don’t even give them the full set, but yet large enough to peak their interest.

Selfishly this will prolong the value of our collections (investments perhaps), as in 20 to 30 years those young men and women will make the same circle we have with the nostalgia in collecting Wacky Packages.

I have no marketing or economic background, so I do not know at what price point Topps can sell packs.  But unless there is a realistic price that new collectors can enter our hobby, we are only all just “playing with each other”.

Just my thoughts, happy collecting.     

That was a well-written, reasonable, humorous, and salient post. If it is truly repesentative of your posting style, it's no wonder you're not an active poster on any forum.

Welcome!