Author Topic: Any one notice this?  (Read 13388 times)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
Any one notice this?
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »
OK, lets try to breathe some life into this child board.

I was going thropugh my dupes, and I noticed two very different looking Hopeless Snowballs. I spent some time trying to figure out if it was a missing color plate (Nope, all there), heavy inks in the cyan, who knows. Then I noticed 1 star vs. 2 stars. Does anyone know what  happened here? What came first? Are their others like this? Thanks for your help.  ^-^

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:43:58 PM by Sunstroke »
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Any one notice this?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »

I was going thropugh my dupes, and I noticed two very different looking Hopeless Snowballs. I spent some time trying to figure out if it was a missing color plate (Nope, all there), heavy inks in the cyan, who knows. Then I noticed 1 star vs. 2 stars. Does anyone know what  happened here? What came first? Are their others like this? Thanks for your help.  ^-^

(Image removed from quote.)
The one on the left probably got sun-faded. I forget what the single/double asterisk means. I read it a while back and forgot. It may be in the Wacky Gallery book - Slayskool would know.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »
It doesn't look like sun fading to me, it is definitely a printing difference  (I worked in a a print shop for 10 years) I am not saying it's a huge deal, but different coloration & Asterisk may mean something?
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 03:56:04 AM »
Interesting. I've noticed other titles have this same issue and just figured it's due to different presses. Or maybe the operator spilled coffee in the magenta between runs?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:27 AM »
The asterisk difference has nothing to do with the appearance of the stickers. Every sheet had two sides. The left side has one
* and the right side has two **. The asterisks were included for quality control purposes, so that damaged stickers could
be traced to sheet position.

Also, each side of the sheet had a different last row.

Take a look at the images of uncut sheets on Greg's wackypackages.org to see the differences between the two sides of the
sheets, or look at the sheet images in the Gallery.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
It doesn't look like sun fading to me, it is definitely a printing difference  (I worked in a a print shop for 10 years) I am not saying it's a huge deal, but different coloration & Asterisk may mean something?

That's definitely an ink level difference like you suggested, where one has too much ink on the cyan plate.  The one title that causes confusion and controversy is the "Oddie Boy" variation of Maddie Boy, where the shaded areas are missing complete. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:52:09 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »

Now here is an idle question, which version do you prefer?  I'm digging the sticker on the right....

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
I'm diggin the one on the right also. It has a "chilly-er" appearance and I would speculate that - that is what they were shooting for with this title. Interesting point about the asterisks. So is it possible that the left one slipped by quality control? Or that one side of the printer was low on cyan?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »

I have multiple shades of stickers on many titles including the one shown here.  I always assumed it was different ink levels during production.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
Did anyone else besides me notice that, out of all the die-cuts, Fearstone Tires does not have a black border? I just noticed this when I got my new Chrome series set. And was this the only example of this happening?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »
Did anyone else besides me notice that, out of all the die-cuts, Fearstone Tires does not have a black border?

I have never noticed that.

Looks like they corrected the anomaly with the 1986 album sticker

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 03:41:23 PM »
I have never noticed that.

Looks like they corrected the anomaly with the 1986 album sticker

Maybe Fearstone was a Wacky Ad and was moved to the Die-Cuts set due to something being pulled?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »
My take on the Fearstone question is that a car tire doesn't really have packaging per se like typical products.  They just sit naked on a rack in the back of a garage pretty much.  The most you would see is a sample in the customer area with a label, price sticker, etc.  Even the brand name shown beneath the tire is more like a sign you would see somewhere outside the shop.  Pretty much a highly improvised Wacky, which may have caused the artists to throw convention to the wind.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
The more conventional treatment would be to spell out "Fearstone" in white letters along the sidewall of the tire itself, just like every brand name of tires does.  However, this would lend itself to a straight-on view of the tire, which is already mostly black and might not be distinct enough from the standard black Wacky border.  So clearly the product itself poses some creative challenges, but I guess they liked the spoof enough to pull it off by whatever means necessary.

anything