Author Topic: Mad Magazine  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Crust

Mad Magazine
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »
Alright I've been wanting to post about this for a while. For me Mad is very clsoe to wackypacks, beacuse it is through Wackies that I got into reading Mad. For those who do not know Mad Magazine is a great humor Magazine that mocks .. everything. It is really halarious, and I was hoping that some of you guys out there have some memories about Mad you can tell about. Mad also has a new show on Cartoon Network.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
Re: Mad Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
I have the DVD-ROM that GITCorp produced about four or five years ago.  It has every issue in PDF form from the debut of MAD in the 1952 all the way through 2006.  I believe I paid $39.95 for it (might have been even cheaper - on sale when it first came out).  It is an amazing thing.  Sadly, GIT went out of business a few years ago so finding a copy for a reasonable price is difficult now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:30:05 AM by Crakola Crayons »
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I had the DVD-ROM that GITCorp produced about four or five years ago.  It had every issue in PDF form from the debut of MAD in the 1952 all the way through 2006.  I believe I paid $39.95 for it (might have been even cheaper - on sale when it first came out).  It is an amazing thing.  Sadly, GIT went out of business a few years ago so finding a copy for a reasonable price is difficult now.

Martin - you keep referring to your DVD-ROM in the past tense.  Did something happen?  I have the CD-ROM set that has every issue up through around 1998 or 1999.

As for my recollections of MAD: I actually preferred Cracked mazagine (spelling intended) over Mad in the 70's.  That was primarly due to the art of John Severin.  However, there were a few issues of Mad that I remember quite well:

The Bicentenial issue that had a special pull out insert called "MADDE" which was supposed to be a 200 year old version of MAD.

The Jaws issue with the fantastic cover of the shark going "Yecchh!!" at the prospect of eating Alfred E. Nueman.  I believe that Steven Spielberg owns the original art to that cover.

The Star Wars issue (with the parody of the first Star Wars movie).

And I was at an antique mall this past weekend and I found a bunch of early 70's issue of MAD.  In that lot was the famous issue #166 which I purchased for $5.  If you are not familiar with that issue, look it up!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:28:49 AM »
Sorry, Loren - I "have" the DVD-ROM (tense corrected in original post).  Love it a lot.  Wouldn't part with it for the world.  All the GITCorp products are fabulous - I have all the Marvel titles, the Star Trek comic set, and the Archie titles they did.  Great stuff.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:30:24 AM by Crakola Crayons »
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:51:32 AM »
I have the DVD-ROM that GITCorp produced about four or five years ago.  It has every issue in PDF form from the debut of MAD in the 1952 all the way through 2006.  I believe I paid $39.95 for it (might have been even cheaper - on sale when it first came out).  It is an amazing thing.  Sadly, GIT went out of business a few years ago so finding a copy for a reasonable price is difficult now.

That is a great resource, I wish the resolution was better though. It's hard to see the Aragones interstitials. There was an earlier "non pdf" version that I hear was higher rez, but you have to install their software to view, making it a lot less convenient to view i.e. you can't view it on a mobile device.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:53:33 AM »
Sorry, Loren - I "have" the DVD-ROM (tense corrected in original post).  Love it a lot.  Wouldn't part with it for the world.  All the GITCorp products are fabulous - I have all the Marvel titles, the Star Trek comic set, and the Archie titles they did.  Great stuff.

As well as the MAD magazine collection, I also bought the NATIONAL LAMPOON collection on Amazon for next to nothing. The GITCorp releases are great since each issue is a PDF. I loaded both collections on my iPad and have entertainment for years to come.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:32:37 AM »
Guys, I agree - the PDF format is fantastic for taking on a mobile device.  I load up a couple years worth of a Marvel title on my iPad and I'm good for quick reading for quite awhile.  We have long plane trips coming this summer so you know I'll be putting a good bit in place for that.

I have the MAD CD-ROM set and, yes, having to use the program that drove it does limit its usage.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:57:41 AM »

The Star Trek comics you refer to - are those the Gold Key/Whitman books?  I have a complete run of those, but haven't read them in ages.  Loved the art in them, but man, some of those stories were bad!!  I remember one where they went out of their way to have Spock eating and then comment on how good a meat dish it was......  Anyway, I'd love to get them on DVD.  Maybe then I could sell the books and save some space.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:24:51 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
The Star Trek DVD-ROM that they released included all the Gold Key, all the Marvel, all the DC and all the ones by whatever independent company got the franchise after DC did.  This was a complete set.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Martin - you keep referring to your DVD-ROM in the past tense.  Did something happen?  I have the CD-ROM set that has every issue up through around 1998 or 1999.

As for my recollections of MAD: I actually preferred Cracked mazagine (spelling intended) over Mad in the 70's.  That was primarly due to the art of John Severin.  However, there were a few issues of Mad that I remember quite well:

The Bicentenial issue that had a special pull out insert called "MADDE" which was supposed to be a 200 year old version of MAD.

The Jaws issue with the fantastic cover of the shark going "Yecchh!!" at the prospect of eating Alfred E. Nueman.  I believe that Steven Spielberg owns the original art to that cover.

The Star Wars issue (with the parody of the first Star Wars movie).

And I was at an antique mall this past weekend and I found a bunch of early 70's issue of MAD.  In that lot was the famous issue #166 which I purchased for $5.  If you are not familiar with that issue, look it up!!

Right on Loren, The Jaws issue of Mad is my favorite cover as this movie is my all-time favorite of the 70's.

Offline Biva

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »
I have the DVD-ROM that GIT Corp produced about four or five years ago.  It has every issue in PDF form from the debut of MAD in the 1952 all the way through 2006.  I believe I paid $39.95 for it (might have been even cheaper - on sale when it first came out).  It is an amazing thing.  Sadly, GIT went out of business a few years ago so finding a copy for a reasonable price is difficult now.

Hey all, I had an email exchange with GIT Corp's president, Ray Pelosi, yesterday. Although they are still in business, their licensing deal with MAD has expired, and so they have permanently ceased manufacture of their delightful MAD DVD-ROM.

Incidentally, GIT Corp's similar arrangement with National Lampoon has also expired. Accordingly, the going price for GIT Corp's National Lampoon DVD-ROM has more or less tripled in the past year, where you can find it at all.

GIT Media Group, Inc.: http://www.gitcorp.com/

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »

I am guessing you are not referring to the one that includes a roll of toilet paper. I purchased that one around 2000 and it cost around $100.00. I'd love to buy another copy but the title escapes me and has for quite some time.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 08:15:40 PM »
As well as the MAD magazine collection, I also bought the NATIONAL LAMPOON collection on Amazon for next to nothing. The GITCorp releases are great since each issue is a PDF. I loaded both collections on my iPad and have entertainment for years to come.

Really enjoyed MM a lot, Occasionally looked at Cracked, But alas I never got into NL.

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
Speaking of Mad ... check this very cool custom figure out I posted on my blog today ..

http://jafosnews.blogspot.com/2011/05/custom-crazed-spy-vs-spy.html

Awesome detail .. can't wait to see it close up at SDCC in July ..

Jason's work is unreal !!

[expando]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZGG4SRs0J_U/Tb9IxKHtl9I/AAAAAAAAL8I/7XbgLeb-TWI/s1600/spy-vs-spy.jpg[/expando]
How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 12:16:37 AM »
Speaking of MAD, in the '50s there were quite a few comic books published that imitated the old MAD comics.  I wrote the introduction to this collection of material from these imitatiions of the early 1950s MAD.
The book doesn't come out until September, but the pre-publication price gives buyers a heavy discount.  http://www.amazon.com/Sincerest-Form-Parody-Inspired-Satirical/dp/1606995111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304406672&sr=8-1

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 03:11:13 AM »
I am guessing you are not referring to the one that includes a roll of toilet paper. I purchased that one around 2000 and it cost around $100.00. I'd love to buy another copy but the title escapes me and has for quite some time.

Right.  The one with the toliet paper roll and mouse pad had its own interface for viewing and searching - and it came on seven CDs.  This GIT Corp one was all on a single DVD-ROM and the files were in PDF format - readable on any computer without special software installed.

anything