Author Topic: A short video on the history of trading cards with a tip of the hat to Wackys  (Read 13390 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Hi, gang.

I don't think I ever posted this to the old forum, and since I just saw that we can post YouTube videos directly to posts, I thought I'd give this a try. 

First, a little background:  Over the last several years, I've been an occasional contributor to an online radio show called The Action Room.  http://www.theactionroom.com/

Over the course of its existence, the show has gone through several transformations.  For a short time, the show's creator was brought on to produce "Action Room" video content for an on-demand cable network.  During that brief time (I believe the on-demand network is now gone) I helped create a segment called "Starting Point".  My goal was to create 2-3 minute segments that could be easily dropped in-between the longer productions.  With "Starting Point" I had hoped to explore how certain parts of our popular culture began, and how they evolved into the forms we know today. 

Stylistically, I also wanted to evoke what I felt was the fun, and slightly corny, feeling of 1970's kids' educational television.  Think 3-2-1 Contact, for those that remember it.  Our first-and-only-episode was about "trading cards", so I thought it appropriate here. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7djTiDAM0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7djTiDAM0</a>

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Hi, gang.

I don't think I ever posted this to the old forum, and since I just saw that we can post YouTube videos directly to posts, I thought I'd give this a try. 

First, a little background:  Over the last several years, I've been an occasional contributor to an online radio show called The Action Room.  http://www.theactionroom.com/

Over the course of its existence, the show has gone through several transformations.  For a short time, the show's creator was brought on to produce "Action Room" video content for an on-demand cable network.  During that brief time (I believe the on-demand network is now gone) I helped create a segment called "Starting Point".  My goal was to create 2-3 minute segments that could be easily dropped in-between the longer productions.  With "Starting Point" I had hoped to explore how certain parts of our popular culture began, and how they evolved into the forms we know today. 

Stylistically, I also wanted to evoke what I felt was the fun, and slightly corny, feeling of 1970's kids' educational television.  Think 3-2-1 Contact, for those that remember it.  Our first-and-only-episode was about "trading cards", so I thought it appropriate here. 

Jason, that was great. It could have been longer cuz I was into the subject matter. There is so much more to explore with the non-sport hobby. I almost felt like you were the star of one of the food network shows discussing drive in's and dives ;) Good stuff. You could have a career at this! Maybe you want to do a weekly show for us show members.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
Jason, that was great. It could have been longer cuz I was into the subject matter. There is so much more to explore with the non-sport hobby. I almost felt like you were the star of one of the food network shows discussing drive in's and dives ;) Good stuff. You could have a career at this! Maybe you want to do a weekly show for us show members.
Real cool man!!! LOL.  :]
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com

Thanks.  I was a hair-length away from getting the hosting job for a short-lived Spike show called "Geek Ray Vision".  After going through four rounds of auditions, it came down to me and a musical comedic duo.  Sadly, I can't write songs about the content of the episode, and it went to the other guys.  But that's show-biz.   When I enjoy the content or approach, I enjoy hosting quite a bit though.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BaudLight

Nice segment!  Not only interesting subject matter,  but I also learned how to properly pronounce your last name. 

BaudLight

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Thanks.  I was a hair-length away from getting the hosting job for a short-lived Spike show called "Geek Ray Vision".  After going through four rounds of auditions, it came down to me and a musical comedic duo.  Sadly, I can't write songs about the content of the episode, and it went to the other guys.  But that's show-biz.   When I enjoy the content or approach, I enjoy hosting quite a bit though.

You could start a weekly or bi-weekly series discussing a particular decade of non-sport cards showing how pop culture influenced the card industry and how people gravitated towards collecting. Heck we could do a road show :o
All it takes is a little exposure and if you had a series that you posted on youtube, that series could get picked up. You never know! I bet if you came up with a great series you could market them to all the wacky fanatics and sell the DVD's. I would buy them!

That is why this forum is so great. It gives people exposure to their talents and as soon as google starts tracking this site then your exposure will be available to anyone that does a search. Something to really consider! Maybe we should all start to consider a wacky documentary on our own to show off how much we are fanatics. This could start into something cool! I could edit them all to make a full length movie. OK, maybe I should bring myself down to earth cuz I doubt it will happen because you really need someone to interview the person and really dig deep into their collecting habits. Could be very interesting and could generate quite an interest. Kinda like King of Kong! 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
You could start a weekly or bi-weekly series discussing a particular decade of non-sport cards showing how pop culture influenced the card industry and how people gravitated towards collecting. Heck we could do a road show :o
All it takes is a little exposure and if you had a series that you posted on youtube, that series could get picked up. You never know! I bet if you came up with a great series you could market them to all the wacky fanatics and sell the DVD's. I would buy them!

That is why this forum is so great. It gives people exposure to their talents and as soon as google starts tracking this site then your exposure will be available to anyone that does a search. Something to really consider! Maybe we should all start to consider a wacky documentary on our own to show off how much we are fanatics. This could start into something cool! I could edit them all to make a full length movie. OK, maybe I should bring myself down to earth cuz I doubt it will happen because you really need someone to interview the person and really dig deep into their collecting habits. Could be very interesting and could generate quite an interest. Kinda like King of Kong! 

That's certainly the kind of stuff I do enjoy doing.  I've actually pitched a pop-culture hosted series before.  After the Spike gig fell through, I was encouraged to do so.  We never could get the thing to get picked up, but I like the idea of dusting these things off from time to time.

On an unrelated note, after shooting that, I continued my reading and learned that there's a big segment of "trade cards" from the 1800's, and still collected today, called, and this is pretty weird.. "Liebig Cards".

I kid you not:

http://liebigcards.com/default.aspx

Offline HeadAndBoulders

Hi, gang.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7djTiDAM0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7djTiDAM0</a>
Very Cool video, Jason.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

Real cool man!!! LOL.  :]
I agree.  Very Cool Video, Jason.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Nice segment!  Not only interesting subject matter,  but I also learned how to properly pronounce your last name. 

BaudLight

Nice...  yeah, it's an unusual name, these days.  Rob Liefeld (a comic book creator) and I had a funny conversation, years ago, about the mispronunciations of our respective names.   By the time I hit High School, I had stopped expecting folks to guess the way that my family pronounces it.  

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
That's certainly the kind of stuff I do enjoy doing.  I've actually pitched a pop-culture hosted series before.  After the Spike gig fell through, I was encouraged to do so.  We never could get the thing to get picked up, but I like the idea of dusting these things off from time to time.

On an unrelated note, after shooting that, I continued my reading and learned that there's a big segment of "trade cards" from the 1800's, and still collected today, called, and this is pretty weird.. "Liebig Cards".

I kid you not:

http://liebigcards.com/default.aspx

That is too funny. What a coincidence!
I think this idea of having people from the forum discuss their passion and their collection is a fantastic idea. I know there a are quite a few of us that don't have the technology to do this so it might take a road trip on my part. I know there has been some mention of how cool would it be to do a road show but the cost is what is prohibitive. How cool would it be if we were to do something like that? I can only imagine. The end result could be a collection of DVD's or a full length indie movie. I would love to go down to Georgia to see Kirk's display cab. There are so many collectors that have such great stuff, it's almost a shame not to show it off.
The one big problem with doing something like this is having a conflict. That is what made King of Kong so strong was the competition between the 2 guys. We would need to show all sides of the hobby and for the dramatic approach show collectors that have had issues with each other for several years. I don't want to mention any names but it would be cool.

Sorry, my mind is going a million miles an hour over this because I am that passionate to really consider this. I know I am getting way over my head but we could start small such as people filming themselves going over why they started collecting and what their collection looks like. We could have a lot of fun with that.
Thoughts!

Offline Plan 9

Jason,
You did a very nice job with that. It's a pleasure to watch but way too short! I know it's a huge job to put together a production like this but it would be great if you could pull off a more in depth episode.

It looks like your hands need something to do during your narration. Maybe a pipe! No tobacco. Just for gesture. Then you need an empty tobacco tin for your other hand. During your on camera moments you can pretend to refill your pipe. Wait. Now you need a British accent and a bushy mustache. See how complicated these production can get!?  ^-^

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
Nice! I want more!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
That is too funny. What a coincidence!
I think this idea of having people from the forum discuss their passion and their collection is a fantastic idea. I know there a are quite a few of us that don't have the technology to do this so it might take a road trip on my part. I know there has been some mention of how cool would it be to do a road show but the cost is what is prohibitive. How cool would it be if we were to do something like that? I can only imagine. The end result could be a collection of DVD's or a full length indie movie. I would love to go down to Georgia to see Kirk's display cab. There are so many collectors that have such great stuff, it's almost a shame not to show it off.
The one big problem with doing something like this is having a conflict. That is what made King of Kong so strong was the competition between the 2 guys. We would need to show all sides of the hobby and for the dramatic approach show collectors that have had issues with each other for several years. I don't want to mention any names but it would be cool.

Sorry, my mind is going a million miles an hour over this because I am that passionate to really consider this. I know I am getting way over my head but we could start small such as people filming themselves going over why they started collecting and what their collection looks like. We could have a lot of fun with that.
Thoughts!

Without getting into it too much, I came up with a concept and pitched a show "about collectors".  We even shot a pilot with a GI JOE "Adventure Team" collector - and he has the most amazing collection.  Sadly, the pilot was poorly directed (but I allowed that to happen), and was never close to what I wanted -  but there was still some meat there.  

Through that pilot, we did identify some of the issues with such a show (at least the kind that I had conceived), so that was good, if we ever return to it.

The biggest issue we ran into was that once something is produced and fails, people are extremely hesitant to even enter the subject matter.  I was told a few times that it "had been done, and failed".  Though one guy told me it had been "done twice" I could only ever find one example of a "collector show".  It was hosted by Emmy Winner John Larroquette, and was actually quite nicely done.  Not exactly the same thing I had in mind, but not entirely different, either.  And, even with an Emmy winner as host, the thing didn't drum up enough ratings.  

I maintain that a weekly show about collectors and collecting could be wildly entertaining for a broad, non-collector, audience, but its time may not have come yet.  

Now, a documentary about collecting Wacky Packages is something entirely different.  But documentaries... those are extremely thankless gigs...  I've never been interested in creating a documentary.  Too scary.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Without getting into it too much, I came up with a concept and pitched a show "about collectors".  We even shot a pilot with a GI JOE "Adventure Team" collector - and he has the most amazing collection.  Sadly, the pilot was poorly directed (but I allowed that to happen), and was never close to what I wanted -  but there was still some meat there.  

Through that pilot, we did identify some of the issues with such a show (at least the kind that I had conceived), so that was good, if we ever return to it.

The biggest issue we ran into was that once something is produced and fails, people are extremely hesitant to even enter the subject matter.  I was told a few times that it "had been done, and failed".  Though one guy told me it had been "done twice" I could only ever find one example of a "collector show".  It was hosted by Emmy Winner John Larroquette, and was actually quite nicely done.  Not exactly the same thing I had in mind, but not entirely different, either.  And, even with an Emmy winner as host, the thing didn't drum up enough ratings.  

I maintain that a weekly show about collectors and collecting could be wildly entertaining for a broad, non-collector, audience, but its time may not have come yet.  

Now, a documentary about collecting Wacky Packages is something entirely different.  But documentaries... those are extremely thankless gigs...  I've never been interested in creating a documentary.  Too scary.

Have you seen the movie 'King of Kong'. What would your first reaction be go a movie dedicated to a couple guys that play Donkey Kong? Not much I would imaging. If you saw the movie you would already know what my idea would be. You also throw in the elements of 'never been thawed' and you can see where I am totally going with this. Classic!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Jason,
You did a very nice job with that. It's a pleasure to watch but way too short! I know it's a huge job to put together a production like this but it would be great if you could pull off a more in depth episode.

It looks like your hands need something to do during your narration. Maybe a pipe! No tobacco. Just for gesture. Then you need an empty tobacco tin for your other hand. During your on camera moments you can pretend to refill your pipe. Wait. Now you need a British accent and a bushy mustache. See how complicated these production can get!?  ^-^

Hrmm.. I could see this.  Purposely bad British accent...  thoughtful winks to the camera.  I could spin it into an Old Spice commercial.  

In all seriousness, I love the passion of collectors, and it'd be great to give it a weekly treatment like the kind that covers so many unusual topics on places like Food Network, Discovery, and History Channel.  I can't imagine I'd be taking the previously-mentioned show idea off the back-burner anytime soon, but maybe.  The gentleman who served as my producer on the "collecting" pilot I mentioned has done a lot of hosting himself for several the major cable networks.  Perhaps it's time for he and I to shake this thing off again, and give it another look.  It's been a year since we last pitched it.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
Cool video, Jason, and a nice hosting job.

I recognize the location, Midtown Comics. A few years ago I tried to pay a visit when I was shut out of the oversold New York Comic-con, and there was a line out the door to get in, like it was Studio-freakin'-54.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Have you seen the movie 'King of Kong'. What would your first reaction be go a movie dedicated to a couple guys that play Donkey Kong? Not much I would imaging. If you saw the movie you would already know what my idea would be. You also throw in the elements of 'never been thawed' and you can see where I am totally going with this. Classic!

I actually own "King of Kong" but haven't ever watched it.  I attended a screening, and interviewed the guys behind "Chasing Ghosts" which preceded "Kong" by a number of months, and thought it was great. A number of the same guys appear in it.  I've heard great things about "King of Kong", too.  Guess I should pop it in the ole DVD player, huh?  

Documentary film is far different from the things I've had my hands on, though.  Not sure that my experience or approach would do well with documentary.  You mention "Never Been Thawed"... now Mockumentary is something I've worked on before, and had a lot of fun with.  But that's a whole different ball of wax..

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Cool video, Jason, and a nice hosting job.

I recognize the location, Midtown Comics. A few years ago I tried to pay a visit when I was shut out of the oversold New York Comic-con, and there was a line out the door to get in, like it was Studio-freakin'-54.

I remember that year.. what a crazy one huh?  I think that was the inaugural NYC Comic Con.  Four years ago?  

And yes, that IS Midtown Comics.  I don't get there too often, but the producer of the Action Room does, and knows the guys who run the place.  It's a great-looking store with a nice selection.  I can't imagine what the rent must be, though.  For a comic store to be two blocks just shy of Times Square... whew...

Offline Plan 9

I think a great documentary could be done about Wacky Packages. But it should mainly follow the battles between the hobbyists, peppered with background on the stickers. "The Wacky Pack" might be a good title.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
I think a great documentary could be done about Wacky Packages. But it should mainly follow the battles between the hobbyists, peppered with background on the stickers. "The Wacky Pack" might be a good title.

Yeah, people love drama for sure, and few things are as entertaining (or as strangely compelling) as personal battles.  I'm sure a talented individual could craft a very compelling story pitting two collectors against one another, while also presenting the history of Wacky Packages as the tapestry behind it. 

I'm trying to think if a situation like that exists now, with enough battle but also with potentially exciting "end games".  And honestly, even in the face of the recent Wacky battles, I'm not sure.  Perhaps if someone like (original art collector) Eric Roberts decided to divest himself of his collection, that would be an interesting thing to film.  There's the major players, the small guys, the old feuds... the "grail" paintings.. etc. 

Not that it's likely to happen, but something like that occurring, and the ramifications, could well make for a great documentary...

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
I remember that year.. what a crazy one huh?  I think that was the inaugural NYC Comic Con.  Four years ago?  

And yes, that IS Midtown Comics.  I don't get there too often, but the producer of the Action Room does, and knows the guys who run the place.  It's a great-looking store with a nice selection.  I can't imagine what the rent must be, though.  For a comic store to be two blocks just shy of Times Square... whew...
I like Midtown a lot, the selection is indeed amazing.

That con was February 2006 if memory serves. I had taken the train into NY from Washington, DC that Saturday with very little planning, no advance tickets purchased. But I figured I could buy a same-day ticket. The only plan that I had that day was to waltz in with my tiny portfolio of crude Wacky Packages ideas, introduce myself to the Topps editors, and convince them to let me write gags for ANS4.

I waited around most of the day but just couldn't get in to the show, the fire marshal locked the place down. So I took a chance and gave my binder to a harried Con staffer and asked him deliver it to the Topps booth for me. The train ride home was pretty depressing...

But the dude actually came through for me... my roughs did make to Topps, and that's how I started working with them.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
I like Midtown a lot, the selection is indeed amazing.

That con was February 2006 if memory serves. I had taken the train into NY from Washington, DC that Saturday with very little planning, no advance tickets purchased. But I figured I could buy a same-day ticket. The only plan that I had that day was to waltz in with my tiny portfolio of crude Wacky Packages ideas, introduce myself to the Topps editors, and convince them to let me write gags for ANS4.

I waited around most of the day but just couldn't get in to the show, the fire marshal locked the place down. So I took a chance and gave my binder to a harried Con staffer and asked him deliver it to the Topps booth for me. The train ride home was pretty depressing...

But the dude actually came through for me... my roughs did make to Topps, and that's how I started working with them.

Wow...  that's a great story.  And a powerful reminder - if you really want to do something, find a way, and don't give up.  I've gotten a few jobs by continuing on, even after I thought it looked bad.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
Nice video Jason. You seem like a natural in front of the camera. That could have easily been a segment on a tv show. Amazing about the "Liebig" cards...

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
I actually own "King of Kong" but haven't ever watched it.  I attended a screening, and interviewed the guys behind "Chasing Ghosts" which preceded "Kong" by a number of months, and thought it was great. A number of the same guys appear in it.  I've heard great things about "King of Kong", too.  Guess I should pop it in the ole DVD player, huh?

I have never heard of "King of Kong" but there was a guy that I grew up with in my home town (he actually lived across the street from me) who was a champion Donkey Kong player.  So I looked up "King of Kong" on IMDB and sure enough, there he was in the cast list, Steve Sanders.  I was wondering if you remember meeting him or not?

I think he also wrote a book about PacMan.  He had played it so much that he had patterns figured out to beat every level.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
I have never heard of "King of Kong" but there was a guy that I grew up with in my home town (he actually lived across the street from me) who was a champion Donkey Kong player.  So I looked up "King of Kong" on IMDB and sure enough, there he was in the cast list, Steve Sanders.  I was wondering if you remember meeting him or not?

I think he also wrote a book about PacMan.  He had played it so much that he had patterns figured out to beat every level.

You should check out the movie. It's great! That is the kind of Wacky documentary I would like to make. I think you can stream the movie from Netflix.

Offline BustedFinger

You should check out the movie. It's great! That is the kind of Wacky documentary I would like to make. I think you can stream the movie from Netflix.
I think I will rent it for sure.  BTW - did you ever figure out what was going on with the Facebook links?  My link is working and showing up now in my posts but I guess they don't show up in your Private Messages?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
I think I will rent it for sure.  BTW - did you ever figure out what was going on with the Facebook links?  My link is working and showing up now in my posts but I guess they don't show up in your Private Messages?

You are right. Your link is working now. I guess I didn't realize it wouldn't work in the PM section.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Jason, terrific job! You're an easy host to watch and listen to. It was short, but with the attention span of most people that's probably a good thing. If you do one exclusively on Wackys, make it longer!

Offline BustedFinger

Hey Brad - I finally got to watch "King of Kong" today.  I have had it in my NetFlix queue for a long time but my wife kept bumping it down in priority.  Well it finally came and I watched it today.  I have to say that it I was very impressed!

I mentioned that I had a friend, Steve Sanders, who was in the movie.  He was from my home town of Clinton, MO and he actually lived in a subdivision that was on the other side of a small state highway from where I lived.  We used to hang out all the time and trade Wackys.  Steve was the guy who lied about his Donkey Kong score back in 1982 so he could get invited to the Life Magazine tournament.  Billy Mitchell then challenged him to play head-to-head at the event and Billy spanked him good!

It was so funny seeing the videos of Steve from back in '82.  That was the year we graduated high school.  I remember him always playing video games back then but I never knew anything about the whole Donkey Kong drama.  I wonder if his parents made sure that it was kept quiet back home.  (Steve's dad was a lawyer in Clinton).

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation and I would also recommend the movie to anyone who fondly remembers all those original classic arcade games!

Offline DrSushi

Hey Brad - I finally got to watch "King of Kong" today.  I have had it in my NetFlix queue for a long time but my wife kept bumping it down in priority.  Well it finally came and I watched it today.  I have to say that it I was very impressed!

I mentioned that I had a friend, Steve Sanders, who was in the movie.  He was from my home town of Clinton, MO and he actually lived in a subdivision that was on the other side of a small state highway from where I lived.  We used to hang out all the time and trade Wackys.  Steve was the guy who lied about his Donkey Kong score back in 1982 so he could get invited to the Life Magazine tournament.  Billy Mitchell then challenged him to play head-to-head at the event and Billy spanked him good!

It was so funny seeing the videos of Steve from back in '82.  That was the year we graduated high school.  I remember him always playing video games back then but I never knew anything about the whole Donkey Kong drama.  I wonder if his parents made sure that it was kept quiet back home.  (Steve's dad was a lawyer in Clinton).

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation and I would also recommend the movie to anyone who fondly remembers all those original classic arcade games!

Speaking as someone who didn't know anyone in that movie, I enjoyed it as well. Have you heard about the streaming that's available with Netflix? I just started that today. If you have a Wii, Playstation 3 or Xbox, Netflix can send you a dvd free of charge that walks you through connecting your system to the internet (extreeeemly easy, even for a technoignoramus like myself). And then at no extra charge, you can stream thousands of movies and tv shows instantly. "King of Kong" is one of them. We just finished watching "The Jerk" again. Great stuff!

Offline BustedFinger

Speaking as someone who didn't know anyone in that movie, I enjoyed it as well. Have you heard about the streaming that's available with Netflix? I just started that today. If you have a Wii, Playstation 3 or Xbox, Netflix can send you a dvd free of charge that walks you through connecting your system to the internet (extreeeemly easy, even for a technoignoramus like myself). And then at no extra charge, you can stream thousands of movies and tv shows instantly. "King of Kong" is one of them. We just finished watching "The Jerk" again. Great stuff!

Unfortunately, the area I live in (Blue Ridge Mountains) does not have any high-speed internet service.  My internet access is through a cellular air-card which is not very conducive to downloading large quantities of data.  We also have a 5GB bandwidth limit each month and if you go over that amount, they start charging you five cents per MB.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
That is interesting about King of Kong. I really thought they did a great job on that movie.