Author Topic: Future OLDS sketch characters  (Read 9849 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Future OLDS sketch characters
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
If memory serves (boy, do I find myself saying that a lot lately), Dave/Slamjim asked in one of these threads about which characters/stickers we would most like to see done as sketches for future OLDS series.  While it was very difficult to narrow down (there are even more quality ones that I expected to find), here are the top 25 I came up with, roughly in series order:

Jolly Mean
Cracked Jerk
Jail-O
Weakies
Skimpy
Liptorn
Camals
Commie
Run Tony
Beanball
Foolball
Rabid Shave
Gatoraid
Hipton
Landoquakes
Super Cigar Crisp
Gurgles
Slpicana
Blas Blew Ribbon
 Kentucky Fried
Planet of the Grapes
Mud
Barman
Polarbearoid
Famous Mobsters

What do the rest of you think?

Offline jleonard1967

Re: Future OLDS sketch characters
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
If memory serves (boy, do I find myself saying that a lot lately), Dave/Slamjim asked in one of these threads about which characters/stickers we would most like to see done as sketches for future OLDS series.  While it was very difficult to narrow down (there are even more quality ones that I expected to find), here are the top 25 I came up with, roughly in series order:

Jolly Mean
Cracked Jerk
Jail-O
Weakies
Skimpy
Liptorn
Camals
Commie
Run Tony
Beanball
Foolball
Rabid Shave
Gatoraid
Hipton
Landoquakes
Super Cigar Crisp
Gurgles
Slpicana
Blas Blew Ribbon
 Kentucky Fried
Planet of the Grapes
Mud
Barman
Polarbearoid
Famous Mobsters

What do the rest of you think?
add tipsy pop guy

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
add tipsy pop guy

The Gillo Port Shark...

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
The Gillo Port Shark...

How about the goofy apples on Nutt's Apple Sauce?

I think the Hag & Hag witch would be cool, too.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
I'd like to see the characters for Shrunken Donuts, Play-Dumb, and Tied.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
Great list. I'm surprised we haven't seen some of these already (Jail-O, Hipton). I wouldn't mind seeing Brandy Land and -- need I say it? -- Buz sometime in the future.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
I don't think this list is really necessary because most of the characters are nostalgic.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 04:42:43 AM »
I don't think this list is really necessary because most of the characters are nostalgic.

The thread might not be necessary, but I like it - it had me poring over my OS binder, looking for characters to suggest based upon how I thought they'd work as sketches.  I thought we were due for a witch, hence my Hag & Hag suggestion.  And I thought the Demented tomatoes worked nicely as sketches in Old School 1, so I figured Nutts could, too.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 06:26:44 AM »
The thread might not be necessary, but I like it - it had me poring over my OS binder, looking for characters to suggest based upon how I thought they'd work as sketches.  I thought we were due for a witch, hence my Hag & Hag suggestion.  And I thought the Demented tomatoes worked nicely as sketches in Old School 1, so I figured Nutts could, too.

The witch would be cool, and the "spooky" characters seem to be very popular with the sketches.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »

In another thread Dave asked which characters we'd like to see in the next series, and this thread is the response.

I second the Brandyland characters! They are hilarious. Plus the Paid bug, Hawaiian Punks thugs, Cram mom w/kid, Kick a Man characters, the Slam Jims, and the Whiskies cat.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »
In another thread Dave asked which characters we'd like to see in the next series, and this thread is the response.

I second the Brandyland characters! They are hilarious. Plus the Paid bug, Hawaiian Punks thugs, Cram mom w/kid, Kick a Man characters, the Slam Jims, and the Whiskies cat.

Plus some characters lend themselves better to sketches than others.  We need to try to look at them not just from what characters we like, but how would it work from an artist's point of view.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »
Plus some characters lend themselves better to sketches than others.  We need to try to look at them not just from what characters we like, but how would it work from an artist's point of view.

Yea.. like the Big Baddy DAD...with ruler...of course the kid has to be part of that sketch as well....

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »

I also liked Copperbone.

Offline Kook

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
Great list. I'm surprised we haven't seen some of these already (Jail-O, Hipton). I wouldn't mind seeing Brandy Land and -- need I say it? -- Buz sometime in the future.

Here's a project I asked Jay to do a while back. It may provide some good ideas. Buz, check out #38.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
Here's a project I asked Jay to do a while back. It may provide some good ideas. Buz, check out #38.

Those are awesome...I remember he did that for the books...its missing the Runaway Vitamin Monster...that would be a cool sketch...in color

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
Neil, were any of those returns?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »

Every Wacky artist should print these pages and hang them in his office as a style guide to designing good, cute, interesting Wacky characters.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 06:54:27 PM »
Hahahaha! Neil, you have me rolling on the floor with those IOUs!!!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
I think it's time for an ape, either beanball, Gulp or Beast. I would love to see Cult45 witch, Jolly Mean and Barman.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:43:55 PM by Sunstroke »
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline dth1971

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
Why not do 1980's-1990's Wacky Pack character entries for sketch cards like Go Bums, Mr. Pig, Barf Wimpson, and Barfield?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »
Why not do 1980's-1990's Wacky Pack character entries for sketch cards like Go Bums, Mr. Pig, Barf Wimpson, and Barfield?

Nah.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »

These are amazing. I do have an 8.5 x 11 Buz sketch from Jay, as well as a small one in one of the books, so I really can't complain.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
Every Wacky artist should print these pages and hang them in his office as a style guide to designing good, cute, interesting Wacky characters.

The three perfect adjectives -- that's about as concise as you can get.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »

Really cool to see all these characters together.
If you click on the pictures, the 3rd one lets you click to zoom further. How come the first 2 don't do that? Would love to see a closeup of the first 2 also.

Offline exceedrin

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »
If the Electric Slave robot showed up in the sketch series I'd probably try to trade one of my others for it 'cause it's my second favorite card after....well, Exceedrin. I'd also put the Exceedrin guy on the list but he has no head; I guess you could do the one from the Wacky Ad.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »
The three perfect adjectives -- that's about as concise as you can get.

More importantly they need to be humorous.