Author Topic: Lynch Common Sketches Conatain a Tracable Character Outline?  (Read 16683 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Lynch Common Sketches Conatain a Tracable Character Outline?
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
I've wondered about that many times. Do folks over 60 ever feel nostalgic for their 40's? Maybe nostalgic memories stop around high school.

I don't know.  I guess we'll find out in 20 years or so.  I don't think it will be the same as the nostalgia we feel from our childhood, but I do think there will be some nostalgia. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 08:22:23 PM »
I've wondered about that many times. Do folks over 60 ever feel nostalgic for their 40's? Maybe nostalgic memories stop around high school.

I don't know about that, but as someone in my mid 40's I would say I feel some nostalgia for my mid 20's.  Even though that wasn't necessarily the high point in my life, I do have some positive feelings for that time.  Though I also would say I feel some nostalgia for all phases of life.  Yes, childhood as much or more than any, but no time in my life is without it's nostalgic feelings.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
I'm thinking next time they could print the underdrawing in a thermal ink which only appears temporarily in temperatures over 100  degrees and is otherwise invisible.  Then I could do the drawings with a heat lamp focused on the cards.   How's that sound, Dave?  Think Topps would pop for a heat lamp?

How about invisible ink and a black light?  this way those of us who want to see it can, and if you dont want to, dont.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
They wouldn't sell as well. We could all just buy one box and be done because we had them all. I like it this way. now it makes collecting as adults as tough as it was when we were kids. Sure the prices are higher but they were also high for us as kids. As a kid you could buy 3-4 packs at a time and probably only once a week. Now we can only buy 3-4 boxes. I think the chase stuff makes it tough to collect just like the old days!
IF somehow the box price could be dropped into the 30's with 1/2 as many packs making collating sets harder and not guaranteed per box yet each box did have a sketch, I think people would have less anxiety over the "surplus" of stuff they would have in buying more boxes.  This of course is only worth considering if for some reason Olds2 doesn't sell out.  If it sells out, no reason to change the model.  Don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »
I don't know.  I guess we'll find out in 20 years or so.  I don't think it will be the same as the nostalgia we feel from our childhood, but I do think there will be some nostalgia. 
We can already check it out now, how many of us are nostalgic about something from 20 years ago?  I can say I have little nostalgic feelings for anything 1990s and later.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »
IF somehow the box price could be dropped into the 30's with 1/2 as many packs making collating sets harder and not guaranteed per box yet each box did have a sketch, I think people would have less anxiety over the "surplus" of stuff they would have in buying more boxes.  This of course is only worth considering if for some reason Olds2 doesn't sell out.  If it sells out, no reason to change the model.  Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

I have something already planned for the next series to shake things up without reducing packs. I think it will be popular.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »
We can already check it out now, how many of us are nostalgic about something from 20 years ago?  I can say I have little nostalgic feelings for anything 1990s and later.
Most people probably have better memories of their childhood than they do of the first decade of their struggle to enter adulthood and the workforce. Beyond that point I don't know.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:56 PM »
I have something already planned for the next series to shake things up without reducing packs. I think it will be popular.
How about Jay Lynch beard hairs. Hell why not fingernails, skin flakes, fluid samples, whatever parts Jay can spare. Brad could probably reassemble a whole Jay Lynch from his boxes alone.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2011, 01:26:52 AM »

Would this be the much mentioned topless David Gross series?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »

As far as collecting Wacky goes though, I bet those of us who are collecting the new series now will have some nostalgia over it 20 years from now.  All I have to do is think of opening my first ANS1 pack in 2004 and I can feel the tears welling up!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »
I think Plan 9's suggestion is a bit ghoulish but brilliant.  I like the image of Brad trying to get that last Jay skin flake to complete his Jay reconstruction.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
As far as collecting Wacky goes though, I bet those of us who are collecting the new series now will have some nostalgia over it 20 years from now.  All I have to do is think of opening my first ANS1 pack in 2004 and I can feel the tears welling up!

ANS1 was SWEET!  I also remember my first packs, found at the Riverhead TRU on my lunch hour.  I didn't make it out of the parking lot without opening some, practically bouncing like a little kid, and then finished opening that batch back at my desk.  I built that set completely from individual packs and bonus boxes bought at retail stores, with the exception of a final tattoo.  Hadn't found Greg's forum yet at that time, but that was one of my first trades when I joined.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »
The only thing I yearn for from 20 years ago is to be 32 again. Like Ernie, I have no other feelings of the sort from the past 20 years.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
All I have to do is think of opening my first ANS1 pack in 2004 and I can feel the tears welling up!
LOL. Dude, you need some serious help.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
Maybe I’m paranoid, but I own 2 sketches by Jay, and just dusted them for fingerprints (only the backs, of course, I hope that doesn’t affect their resale value)

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Jaysfingerprint-1.jpg[/expando]

I don’t have access to DMV records or the FBI database (surely Jay has been arrested before). Can someone confirm this is Jay’s actual fingerprint? And not some sweatshop worker?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »
ANS1 was SWEET!  I also remember my first packs, found at the Riverhead TRU on my lunch hour.  I didn't make it out of the parking lot without opening some, practically bouncing like a little kid, and then finished opening that batch back at my desk.  I built that set completely from individual packs and bonus boxes bought at retail stores, with the exception of a final tattoo.  Hadn't found Greg's forum yet at that time, but that was one of my first trades when I joined.
Nice. I didn't know about ANS until series 4 but I was as giddy as you to find them. And I didn't need any sketch cards to appreciate the series.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
Nice. I didn't know about ANS until series 4 but I was as giddy as you to find them. And I didn't need any sketch cards to appreciate the series.

This is an interesting perspective on ANS that I had not thought of before.  I got back into the hobby in 1999, four years before ANS.  At that time, nobody ever thought in their wildest dreams that there would ever be new Wackys.  Then, thanks to the forums, we all found out and knew that they were coming.  We pre-ordered our boxes (I think I ordered four) and eagerly tore into them when they arrived.  Expectations were so high (at least mine were) that there was no way the new Wackys could meet them.

I believe that I would have been much more excited about them if I had first discovered them in the wild like you guys did.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 10:11:23 PM »

To qualify as nostalgia I think there has to be a component of bittersweetness, a reminder of something lost. The original series Wackys are entwined with our lost youth.

I had a lot of good things going on in 1991, and so there are aspects of my life of 20 years ago that I look back on fondly; but it's different from the nostalgia that I might experience over things that remind me of my childhood.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
I had a lot of good things going on in 1991, and so there are aspects of my life of 20 years ago that I look back on fondly; but it's different from the nostalgia that I might experience over things that remind me of my childhood.

Huh. 1991. The Wacky series from that year is 20 years old now. Let us all celebrate the classics: Donkey-Nose Pizza, Snot 'N Blow, Sick Tracy...

(I kid; I actually am fond of the 1991 series, for all of its flaws.)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
Huh. 1991. The Wacky series from that year is 20 years old now. Let us all celebrate the classics: Donkey-Nose Pizza, Snot 'N Blow, Sick Tracy...

I was 20 when that series came out and I can remember the disappointment. I was thrilled to find a new Wacky series but when I got a look at them I realized Wacky Packs was dead. I do have to credit Topps for doing a much better job on ANS. Boy, we're only three years away from the 10th anniversary of ANS.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »
This is an interesting perspective on ANS that I had not thought of before.  I got back into the hobby in 1999, four years before ANS.  At that time, nobody ever thought in their wildest dreams that there would ever be new Wackys.  Then, thanks to the forums, we all found out and knew that they were coming.  We pre-ordered our boxes (I think I ordered four) and eagerly tore into them when they arrived.  Expectations were so high (at least mine were) that there was no way the new Wackys could meet them.

I believe that I would have been much more excited about them if I had first discovered them in the wild like you guys did.
You might've liked ANS more if you had discovered it after series 3. That's when it started getting a lot better. Series 1 was mainly left over stuff from a weak past. Series 2 was following in it's footsteps. By series 4 it was on the right track.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »

I for one am very glad the 1991 series passed by me without me knowing about it.  The 1991 series bring back no memories of the originals.  To me it's the worst Wacky series to date, by far.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
I for one am very glad the 1991 series passed by me without me knowing about it.  The 1991 series bring back no memories of the originals.  To me it's the worst Wacky series to date, by far.

I second that...didn't know about it until late 90's...which was already too soon...maybe they could have called it the 'Gross Wackys'  :]- no pun intended DAVE!! :P :P

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
I second that...didn't know about it until late 90's...which was already too soon...maybe they could have called it the 'Gross Wackys'  :]- no pun intended DAVE!! :P :P

Yeah, they tried to be funnier by being gross, and that took away from what made them funny in the first place.  Plus the art was lousy.  I still have a set though!