Author Topic: WP OLDS2 - Vote for favorite!  (Read 34837 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: WP OLDS2 - Vote for favorite!
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
I love the set because it totally has an original series overall look and feel.  I do agree that many of the products being spoofed are unknown to me and that does lower those titles in my ranking when I rank titles in the set.  I also feel that only maybe 1/3 have memorible tag lines.  Take a hard look at original wackys, the reality is that many of the gags are so so, it is hard to make everything LOL funny.  I am clearly in the minority based on the voting but my favorite is Ping Pongs "for people who like to play with their food"

I think we're finding that many of us don't remember a lot of these 70's products. It didn't matter to me as a kid. But as an adult I need to know the product. All I remember from the 70's is toys and candy. I want to see 80's products. There was only one Wacky series in the 80's so the decade is ripe.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »
I think we're finding that many of us don't remember a lot of these 70's products. It didn't matter to me as a kid. But as an adult I need to know the product. All I remember from the 70's is toys and candy.

I think you are a few years younger than some of us and I think I'm younger than some others so we will all have some certain pinpoint products that we really remember. However, every one of these products was on the shelves alongside all the products that were spoofed in the 70s so nothing here is obscure. A bunch are still around today. It's like I said before; none of us knew most if not half of the products in each series as kids. As adults we have such a memory of the stickers and have figured out the products through the hobby that they are stuck in our heads by now. I was 4-7 years old in the Wacky heyday and I can honestly say like you I probably only knew toys and candy, some cereals and anything that could relate to me as a kid like Wonder Bread or Skippy peanut butter. Stuff like that. Cigarettes? Cleaning products? Pet food? Etc, nope. I don't think it's a big deal if you don't know some of them. The nice thing now is the Internet is ripe with info on them so a quick Google search will educate anyone on the product and maybe jar some memories.

The 80s will come...

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2011, 05:40:37 AM »
I think you are a few years younger than some of us and I think I'm younger than some others so we will all have some certain pinpoint products that we really remember. However, every one of these products was on the shelves alongside all the products that were spoofed in the 70s so nothing here is obscure. A bunch are still around today. It's like I said before; none of us knew most if not half of the products in each series as kids. As adults we have such a memory of the stickers and have figured out the products through the hobby that they are stuck in our heads by now. I was 4-7 years old in the Wacky heyday and I can honestly say like you I probably only knew toys and candy, some cereals and anything that could relate to me as a kid like Wonder Bread or Skippy peanut butter. Stuff like that. Cigarettes? Cleaning products? Pet food? Etc, nope. I don't think it's a big deal if you don't know some of them. The nice thing now is the Internet is ripe with info on them so a quick Google search will educate anyone on the product and maybe jar some memories.

The 80s will come...

I also remember alot from the commercials for stuff like dog food and hair care products. Even the TV-dinners.

Would love to see Wacky's on 'Golden Blossom Honey' - 'Team Cereal' - 'Cream of Wheat' - 'Taylor Ham' - maybe some on the Tobacco chew- like 'REDMAN' - some 70's boards games like 'Battleship' - 'Stay'in alive game' - some ideas...for thought..

Taz

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2011, 06:15:45 AM »
I also remember alot from the commercials for stuff like dog food and hair care products. Even the TV-dinners.

Would love to see Wacky's on 'Golden Blossom Honey' - 'Team Cereal' - 'Cream of Wheat' - 'Taylor Ham' - maybe some on the Tobacco chew- like 'REDMAN' - some 70's boards games like 'Battleship' - 'Stay'in alive game' - some ideas...for thought..

How about Tip-IT and Ker Plunk to add to the mix of games?

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:01 AM »

The 80s will come...

Well, for what it's worth, I am 51 years old. When I looked through the OS2 titles there was just the one I could not identify the corresponding product (the TV dinners). I thought maybe it was a regional thing not
available here in the Midwest but my wife remembered it. So in my eyes, you hit a home run in terms of product familiarity. Along with that, we all have products we either enjoyed or felt some type of kin-ship with for whatever reason. There were certainly several of those in this release as well. I was a big Mr. Salty pretzel fan.  

I was 14 when WPs started hitting the stores where I lived. Perhaps I am showing that I watched way too much TV, but I only remember a few times where my friends and I were stumped as to the actual product being spoofed in  the original series. Even at 14, we knew all the cigarette and liquor  brands from the television commercials and magazine ads (don't under-estimate the power that magazine advertising had back then). I would skim through my Mom's GOOD HOUSEKEEPING magazines when bored just to look for pictures and at adverts.  For example, I didn't even dream of ever wearing dentures at that age, but we were exposed to all the commercials for denture adhesives and cleansers and knew the brand names. The ones more likely to stump us were food items we were not familiar with... maybe foodstuffs for "older folks".

So perhaps I was the dream child of Madison Avenue and absorbed all the advertising thrown out there, but Wackies always seemed to be very tuned into my knowledge sphere of products. You have done an excellent job in keeping with that tradition with the OS2 release.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2011, 07:42:13 AM »
I recognize almost all of the products in this series, and I think most of the titles would have been really popular Wackys if issued back in the 70's.  I voted for probably half of the set.  Meltathon is my top pick, but there are some other really great titles!  B-B-Brats, Swine Bros. and Wedgie just totally brought me back in time.  And I love that lemon on Whylers!  The Ruin-Oleum can is awesome.  And Ping Pongs is too funny, with the 'play with your food' line.  Mr. Faulty was an instant hit with me as soon as I saw the promo.  Overall, I really like the stickers.

I also like the 5x7's with the extra gags - sort of like Wacky Ads.  And the concept cards were a great addition, always cool to see how a Wacky starts and progresses.  Jay's poster is fantastic, too.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »
Age 46 here so was just a kid when the 1st Wackys hit.  However, as someone noted above, I knew a lot of these from TV commercials, magazine ads and just being familiar with what was in our family pantries (ours, my aunt's, my grandparents').  I also paid a lot of attention when I went grocery shopping with my Mom.  While I spent a good bit of time on the cereal aisle picking out my choice for the week, I hit other aisles with her too.  Packaging and names always fascinated me.  Thus I knew more like 85% from the original run.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 09:59:48 AM »
This discussion got me thinking so I grabbed an OS binder and leafed through. I tried to remember the ones I didn't recognize as a kid. It's funny how I can still remember not knowing what the product was, even if do know now.

Here's a list of the ones I remember not recognizing from Series 1-8. Series 7 has the most, by far.

Duzn't
Chock Full of Nuts and Bolts
Breadcrust
Maddie Boy
Fink
Dopey Whip
Gurgle
Boo Hoo
Ditch Masters
Run Tony
Raw Leaves
Rabid Shave
Choke King
SweatHard
Hurtz Bird Food
Windchester
Hyde's Rox
Grass Wax
Escuire
Tijuana Smells
White Fowl
Light and Dizzy
Swiss Mess
Big Baddy
Fatina
Krazy
Ha Ha
Stiffords
Piwi
Generally Demented
Goonman's
Scare Deal
Ditch Boy
Spills Bros.
My T Fink
Gurgles
Hurtz Baked Bears
Medi-Quak
Hag and Hag
Dimwit Dots
Caged
Emptimo
Leek
El Polluto
Feetena
Murial Blands
Boozo
Blank Crows
Sunstroke Creature Crackers
Mex Pax
Knots
Yubum
Canadian Clod
Daffy

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Wow - a lot of titles that you didn't recognize as a kid, I sure did.  I even had a Scare Deal sticker on a school notebook.

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
Wow - a lot of titles that you didn't recognize as a kid, I sure did.  I even had a Scare Deal sticker on a school notebook.

I don't mean this as a slight to anyone, just an observation. I have been a Boy Scout Leader in one capacity or another for over 10 years now so have been around a lot of teen boys other than my own son. Boys aged 11 thru 17 are a weird lot. Some of them are very socially and geographically aware at a young age. By that I mean they are aware of current events in the news, where things are located in their town, familiar with shows on television, etc. In general, they have a larger world-view of things. Others are at the opposite extreme only focusing on school, home and video games. A very small scope of interests. You could take them 3 blocks from their house and they would have no clue where they are or how to return. Its a period of extremely large variation, even across the same age. Usually by age 17 or 18 things start evening out again. My only point to this is that I think you find some 15 years olds, for example who are very aware of things going on around them. There are probably the kids more likely to recognize something like products being parodies in a silly
sticker set. Other kids the same age haven't yet broadened their perspective and, although may have been
exposed to the same commercials, magazine ads, billboards, etc... these inputs just didn't click or leave an impression.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »
Wow - a lot of titles that you didn't recognize as a kid, I sure did.  I even had a Scare Deal sticker on a school notebook.

I notice the same thing when people mention the products they don't recognize. Referring back to OldS2, Pine Bros. cough drops were very popular around here but it seems plenty of people don't remember them.

As far as Scare Deal, I always loved that sticker and it was a title I could figure out, even if I didn't know the product. "Oh, it must be Square Deal." (I could also figure out others like Duz and Winchester.) Others were because we didn't have Ronzoni in my area, my mother didn't buy Sunshine products, there was no tobacco in my house, and I didn't drink yet.

Many of the products I did recognize were from TV ads, even if we didn't use them. That's how I knew of My Sin perfume, Lavoris, Chuck Wagon, Taster's Choice, etc. Magazine ads for Eve cigarettes and Virginia Slims were everywhere. Also, STP stickers were everywhere so I knew STD. (Which I still think was just a clever way to allude to sexually transmitted diseases...)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:42:18 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
It's funny how I can still remember not knowing what the product was, even if do know now.

That is an interesting phenomenon (or is it phenomena?)

I clearly remember which Wacky titles were products I didn’t know about as a kid.

Now, ask me what I ate for dinner the night before last and I’ll be clueless!        :tongue3:   

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
Nobody is going to vote for all 33 titles. Even if a few did it doesn't hurt anything. You're still going to get a higher count for the most popular titles. I could see doing a poll where everyone is allowed to vote for their single most favorite title but that shows up in this poll anyway. When I look through a set I can give every title a thumbs up or thumbs down.

So if ten people all vote for the same 10 titles as their "favorites", you aren't interested in finding out that 9 of the 10 of them like a particular title the most.  I can't really figure out what the heck you are hoping to learn from this to be honest.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
I think we're finding that many of us don't remember a lot of these 70's products. It didn't matter to me as a kid. But as an adult I need to know the product. All I remember from the 70's is toys and candy. I want to see 80's products. There was only one Wacky series in the 80's so the decade is ripe.
I totally agree with you that 80's products will be more rememorable to us and ripe for the taking.  I too need know the original product otherwise the art and text better be spot on for me to "favorite" the title.  I favorited 15 titles in the survey.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

The 80s will come...
Kids in the 70s didn't care if they knew the product, it was the goofy well done character and edgy tag lines.  As adults our desires have changed and it seems pretty clear that if people don't know the product, the wacky has a huge handicap.  You shouldn't assume that because you knew a product, that "most" would.  What process are you using to pick products?  Surveys of some sort, 1970s sales analysis of the products?  Best guess?  I am curious.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
So if ten people all vote for the same 10 titles as their "favorites", you aren't interested in finding out that 9 of the 10 of them like a particular title the most.  I can't really figure out what the heck you are hoping to learn from this to be honest.
To get such refined results would require a poll that allows each voter to give a ranking for each title such as 1-5 stars. I don't need such detailed info. I just want to know the total thumbs up rating for each title and compare it to the total number of voters. I have use for the data of which I don't care to elaborate publicly. The President swore me to secrecy.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
To get such refined results would require a poll that allows each voter to give a ranking for each title such as 1-5 stars. I don't need such detailed info. I just want to know the total thumbs up rating for each title and compare it to the total number of voters. I have use for the data of which I don't care to elaborate publicly. The President swore me to secrecy.
You lectured several people here about their approach to this people being self serving.  I think you owe them an apology.  You peer pressured brad into aligning this somewhat useless poll to your specific needs.  Since you strongly suggested the need for a real poll that you threatened to start yourself, i now agree that a real poll is needed as i am willing to bet the majority of collectors would be interested in some formm of real rankings and not movie ranking thumbs up, thumbs down.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
Guys, here we are in our 40's arguing about the validity of a Wacky Packages favorite title poll? Seriously?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »
Guys, here we are in our 40's arguing about the validity of a Wacky Packages favorite title poll? Seriously?

BTW, that is also a point to again note concerning product recognition. We have people here from their late 30s up to mid 50s that are members. We are all coming at the 70s from different ages and "product recognition ability".

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »
What process are you using to pick products?  Surveys of some sort, 1970s sales analysis of the products?  Best guess?  I am curious.

I start with me (aged 43) of course then move on to my wife (aged 42). I also utilize Fred and Jay (and Mark this series), the three editors  and Mike (ages 40-52), Ebay images, Google images and any blog postings, YouTube commercials, 70s fan sites, magazine ads from the era and lastly, from an older point of view my Dad (age 73). I also try to make sure the brands are not regional.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
LOL, we are in our 40's collecting wacky packages.....yes, seriously.... :P

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
I didn't think it was an argument until Ernie tweaked reality in his last post to turn up the heat.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
You lectured several people here about their approach to this people being self serving.  I think you owe them an apology.  You peer pressured brad into aligning this somewhat useless poll to your specific needs.  Since you strongly suggested the need for a real poll that you threatened to start yourself, i now agree that a real poll is needed as i am willing to bet the majority of collectors would be interested in some formm of real rankings and not movie ranking thumbs up, thumbs down.
The lecture was about truthful voting. Before that, all I did was make a case for Brad to allow members to vote for ALL the titles they like, rather than just ten. For anyone who wants to know the top ten, it's there. For anyone who wants to know the ranking of every title, it's there. For those who don't care, move on. You can characterize my mention of starting another poll as a "threat" but I crafted several polls here including Old School 1. I was planning to start one for Old School 2 after everyone had time to sit down and get a good look at the series. Mine would have included all the bonus material as well. Information can always be of use. As for starting another poll, I suggest you start one that gives you whatever information you're looking for. I'm fine with this one. The software is rather limited. You might design a small poll as a test to see what can be done with it.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »
I start with me (aged 43) of course then move on to my wife (aged 42). I also utilize Fred and Jay (and Mark this series), the three editors  and Mike (ages 40-52), Ebay images, Google images and any blog postings, YouTube commercials, 70s fan sites, magazine ads from the era and lastly, from an older point of view my Dad (age 73). I also try to make sure the brands are not regional.

I finally remembered to bring my Old School 2 binder to my mom's house last night.  She loved the set, and the binder, too.  The only title she didn't recognize was Long & Slimy.  Swine Bros. was her favorite.  Meltathon, Wedgie, Palmolotov, Mr. Faulty and Ping Pongs also got laughs.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »
I finally remembered to bring my Old School 2 binder to my mom's house last night.  She loved the set, and the binder, too.  The only title she didn't recognize was Long & Slimy.  Swine Bros. was her favorite.  Meltathon, Wedgie, Palmolotov, Mr. Faulty and Ping Pongs also got laughs.
Reggie bar was one of my favorite candy bars. I wonder if it's still around under another name.

The yellow binders are really nice. I'm glad I didn't buy the first one. I wonder how many they plan to make. Do we really need a separate binder for each series?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »
Reggie bar was one of my favorite candy bars.

I actually still have some Reggie bar wrappers I got in a stack of other loose wrappers from a friend.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
Palmolotov's art is up on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Old-School-2-Art-PALMOLOTOV-/140534532123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b882c81b

The main gag line was changed from the art which still has the original line (everything is hand-painted). The gag change was done on the computer. The original line goes back to the Madge commercials.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Old-School-2-Art-PALMOLOTOV-/140534532123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b882c81b

The main gag line was changed from the art which still has the original line (everything is hand-painted). The gag change was done on the computer. The original line goes back to the Madge commercials.

I like the original gag. It ties in better.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2011, 04:49:25 AM »

I prefer the original gag line.  I really remember those Madge commercials, and besides, the original gag explains the severed hand.

Looking forward to seeing your art scans soon!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »

The original tagline is much better and I realized the relevance of the severed hand when I read the tagline. It's a gruesome gag and it had balls before it was clipped. Now it's got one ball. What's the point of clipping one ball?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2011, 05:33:15 AM »
B-B-Brats artwork is up on eBay now.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »

I won Cranky Foam...was anything changed from the orginal art to the final sticker?? How was the original laid out...hand painted?? no problems like Rat Guard?? right?

How did you come up with the gag...I like the gag line at the bottom of the can... were there any changes from the rough to the final??

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:34 AM »
I won Cranky Foam...was anything changed from the orginal art to the final sticker?? How was the original laid out...hand painted?? no problems like Rat Guard?? right?

How did you come up with the gag...I like the gag line at the bottom of the can... were there any changes from the rough to the final??

Nothing changed from the art to the sticker. It's all hand painted, no overlays. Most of the stuff I did for OLDS2 is all hand painted. Only a few have some overlays and I know how to put them down without them peeling up or shrinking so that would not be an issue anymore. If anyone has a question about which pieces have any overlays just LMK.

The gag started as Crazy Gnome which was done by Mark (he posted it in the Spoiler thread). Topps didn't like it so I changed it to Cranky Foam. Jay drew up the rough from my description and then I did a final rough from Jay's rough (they are virtually identical).

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
Nothing changed from the art to the sticker. It's all hand painted, no overlays. Most of the stuff I did for OLDS2 is all hand painted. Only a few have some overlays and I know how to put them down without them peeling up or shrinking so that would not be an issue anymore. If anyone has a question about which pieces have any overlays just LMK.

The gag started as Crazy Gnome which was done by Mark (he posted it in the Spoiler thread). Topps didn't like it so I changed it to Cranky Foam. Jay drew up the rough from my description and then I did a final rough from Jay's rough (they are virtually identical).

Thx Dave..appreciate it...definitely a cool Wacky...good to know you both worked on it...

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »

Get outa here. You painted all the text on Palmolatov?