Author Topic: WP OLDS2 - Vote for favorite!  (Read 34827 times)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
Re: WP OLDS2 - Vote for favorite!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
add +1 to palmolitov, I forgot to click it, and didn't hit my max # of votes.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »
add +1 to palmolitov, I forgot to click it, and didn't hit my max # of votes.
You can adjust your vote.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »
Done deal, thanks, i had no idea i could do that
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 12:21:41 AM »
That sounds right... A toy with a built in noose. Just another toy from our era that we could kill ourselves with like clackers, footsies, and lawn jarts.

By the way, for an eye-opener, goto Google image and search the word "footsie".  Oh my.
Wow, I forgot all about those Footsies! Thes ones my sisters and I had as kids were shaped like lemons- They were called Lemon Twists if I remember correctly.....
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 07:11:09 AM »
Done deal, thanks, i had no idea i could do that
Sometimes you can't. It depends on who sets up the poll and if they allow changes.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
Wow, I forgot all about those Footsies! Thes ones my sisters and I had as kids were shaped like lemons- They were called Lemon Twists if I remember correctly.....

A can't remember the actual name of the ones we had... they had a round yellow ring that went
around the ankle then a rope with a bell shaped thing at the end. No "training wheel" on it like the skip-it
I showed in the picture. This one was free to get tangled on everything and anything. I once got mine tangled around the leg of a German Shepard that freaked out and drug me around the neighborhood a couple times before I could get free.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »

My sister and I had Lemon Twists too.  Those were fun!  We just had to make sure we didn't get too close to each other, 'cause thaose things HURT when you got whacked in the ankle!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »
A can't remember the actual name of the ones we had... they had a round yellow ring that went
around the ankle then a rope with a bell shaped thing at the end. No "training wheel" on it like the skip-it
I showed in the picture. This one was free to get tangled on everything and anything. I once got mine tangled around the leg of a German Shepard that freaked out and drug me around the neighborhood a couple times before I could get free.

These are the ones we had as kids,
[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/1242497761_ieZLM-O.jpg[/expando]

but I remember seeing the lemon ones at TG&Y as well.
[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/1242497831_Mt2Vj-O.jpg[/expando]

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »

These are the ones we had as kids,
[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/1242497761_ieZLM-O.jpg[/expando]

Yep... thats the one I had! ... I think you can still see a speck or two of my blood on the bell.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
It's really not that big of deal to change this and I don't want Mark to start another poll.
I made the change so everyone can vote all of their favorite titles and Mark's heartburn and blood pressure can now be controlled.
Hooray! Thanks Brad. We all have our obsessions within this hobby. For example I don't need to know all the details Paul Maul wants to know about packs and wrappers. But I would certainly be supportive of helping him to gain that info. Thanks again.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »
OK, which 14 people didn't like Flunkies >(

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »
OK, which 14 people didn't like Flunkies >(

I didn't vote for it because I had never heard of Freakies cereal until these Wacky forums.  It just really doesn't do anything for me because there is no nostalgia there.  In fact, that is one of the problems I have with this whole OLDS series is that there are a large number of products parodied that I have never heard of before.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the series overall.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »
I didn't vote for it because I had never heard of Freakies cereal until these Wacky forums.  It just really doesn't do anything for me because there is no nostalgia there.  In fact, that is one of the problems I have with this whole OLDS series is that there are a large number of products parodied that I have never heard of before.

There is not much to be said for this other than just about every item in this series is easily recognizable for the majority of the people who bought the series and even the few products certain people don't know (like Libbyland for example) have extremely high recognition for other people. I highly doubt as a 5 year old or 7 year old or whatever very young age we were when the original series came out that we recognized every product (possibly a third to half a series even). I mean, for example, I can say there is no way as a 6 year old kid I knew looking at series 11 what the heck Saturday Evening Ghost, Seventon, Unpopular Mechanics, Easy Cuss-Words, Chimpanzee Spark Plugs, Decay toothpaste (I know, made-up), Swiss Fright, Muler's, King O'Scare, Chaffed & Sunburn, Mr. Bog, Saparin, Fib, Bash, Alpain and Cult 45 were. Your nostalgia comes from collecting the stickers as a kid not from knowing the products they parodied.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 11:19:20 PM »

So nothing is funny? No one? Did you even look at the cards?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2011, 01:11:06 AM »

Not even "Knerrd"    C'mon, Bowlcut!   Your my age and you don't remember Bowlcuts???

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2011, 01:41:56 AM »

Maybe parody isn't really your thing?  Flunkies is pretty funny regardless of ones knowledge of the original product in my opinion.  Although I must admit I am somewhat biased when it comes to anything related to Freakies Cereal  :)

DrDeal

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2011, 05:52:33 AM »
So nothing is funny? No one? Did you even look at the cards?

I guess I could ask the same question.  Did you all really look at the cards before you declared this to be the best modern-era series ever?

I know I won't win any popularity contests on here by dissing this series but I have to call it like I see it.  I have been slowly souring over new Wackys with the ridiculous chase-card odds and the way each of the releases have been becoming a lottery type event for speculators.

To answer your first question, yes there are a few of the cards that I find funny.  I like:

Old Croak
Tarry Ton
Lush
Meltathon
Sue Mee

But that's it.  I don't really find any of the other titles to be all that funny.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
My favorite out of the series is Rot. I thought that was done really well. Great artwork & gag. IMO easily could of been a great card in the Original Series. Palmolitov is also a great one. I voted for 10, but really liked about 7 of them the best. Voted for 3 more because there are some in the set that I'd rather see lower on the voter's poll than others. Flunkies was not on my top 10.  :o Overall I think this Olds2 set is really good. Great follow up to the Olds1.  :great:
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
My favorite out of the series is Rot. I thought that was done really well. Great artwork & gag. IMO easily could of been a great card in the Original Series. Palmolitov is also a great one. I voted for 10, but really liked about 7 of them the best. Voted for 3 more because there are some in the set that I'd rather see lower on the voter's poll than others. Flunkies was not on my top 10.  :o Overall I think this Olds2 set is really good. Great follow up to the Olds1.  :great:
So you're admitting you tried to manipulate the poll rather than voting just for what you like. What in the world would motivate you to do that? The list is meant to represent what's popular. Not what Playbug wants to appear popular.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
I guess I could ask the same question.  Did you all really look at the cards before you declared this to be the best modern-era series ever?

I know I won't win any popularity contests on here by dissing this series but I have to call it like I see it.  I have been slowly souring over new Wackys with the ridiculous chase-card odds and the way each of the releases have been becoming a lottery type event for speculators.

To answer your first question, yes there are a few of the cards that I find funny.  I like:

Old Croak
Tarry Ton
Lush
Meltathon
Sue Mee

But that's it.  I don't really find any of the other titles to be all that funny.

For me it might not be the gag as it's the memorable characters that I like. The OS had so many memorable characters while some of the gags were bland. I like the art.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 07:19:53 PM »
So you're admitting you tried to manipulate the poll rather than voting just for what you like. What in the world would motivate you to do that? The list is meant to represent what's popular. Not what Playbug wants to appear popular.
I like what Playbug is doing, and when I vote I plan to do a similar thing and not vote for Flunkies.
Why?
because there are too many knee jerk "OMGZ!! it's a F'n wacky of Freakies!! it's the coolest thing EVA!!!111!!!" votes out there and they need to be balanced out somehow.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
I like what Playbug is doing, and when I vote I plan to do a similar thing and not vote for Flunkies.
Why?
because there are too many knee jerk "OMGZ!! it's a F'n wacky of Freakies!! it's the coolest thing EVA!!!111!!!" votes out there and they need to be balanced out somehow.

VOTE FOR CRANKY FOAM[/size]Before you excercise your forum rights, take a moment to consider the benefits of casting a vote for CRANKY FOAM!!!. This advertisement paid for by the Cranky Foam for best OS2 title campaign effort.

I don't know why this is my fave other than as a little kid, the Crazy Foam containers kinda creaped me out for some reason. This parody seems spot on to me. Of course, that's only my opinion... I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:51:00 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
I'm surprised Swine Bros. and Old Croak aren't getting more votes. To me, these titles have a certain vintage 16th series "flair" that I can't explain. We also haven't had a cough drop wacky in a long time. Mister Faulty deserves to be in first place. All around perfect parody!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
Why?
You're actually trying to counter other people's votes because you doubt they know their own taste? That's some good ol' Big Brother thinking there. Trying to fuck with people's votes this way is incredibly childish. Maybe I should run my votes by you and Playbug for your approval before committing them. Why can't you discuss the Freakies gag publicly before playing your games? At least your honest about trying to alter our votes.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
You're actually trying to counter other people's votes because you doubt they know their own taste? That's some good ol' Big Brother thinking there. Trying to fuck with people's votes this way is incredibly childish. Maybe I should run my votes by you and Playbug for your approval before committing them. Why can't you discuss the Freakies gag publicly before playing your games? At least your honest about trying to alter our votes.

"Protest voting" is not unusual. Like voting for a no-chance third party presidential candidate to signal that neither of the front runners are acceptable.  I understand the urge to knock the popular thing down a peg just because it's popular.

I didn't vote that way myself, mind you. I picked my 10 current favorites when I voted (in checklist order):

Orange Lush
Mister Faulty
Bad Air Cigarettes
Flunkies Cereal
Long & Slimy
Swine Bros
Palmolotov
Sad Bags
Soft & Die Deodorant
Whyler's

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »

"Protest voting" is not unusual. Like voting for a no-chance third party presidential candidate to signal that neither of the front runners are acceptable.  I understand the urge to knock the popular thing down a peg just because it's popular.

I didn't vote that way myself, mind you. I picked my 10 current favorites when I voted (in checklist order):

Orange Lush
Mister Faulty
Bad Air Cigarettes
Flunkies Cereal
Long & Slimy
Swine Bros
Palmolotov
Sad Bags
Soft & Die Deodorant
Whyler's
Believe me, I understand protest voting when it comes to politics. It makes sense there. But it doesn't make sense to do it here. The whole POINT of a poll is to find out what's popular. I don't get why Flunkies is so popular but that happens to be the case. This poll is adjustable as well so if anyone feels they don't like Funkies two months from now they can change it. But right now Flunkies is in fact popular so there's no reason to try to fool anyone about that fact.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »
Believe me, I understand protest voting when it comes to politics. It makes sense there. But it doesn't make sense to do it here. The whole POINT of a poll is to find out what's popular. I don't get why Flunkies is so popular but that happens to be the case. This poll is adjustable as well so if anyone feels they don't like Funkies two months from now they can change it. But right now Flunkies is in fact popular so there's no reason to try to fool anyone about that fact.
why doesn't it make sense? I believe it's a false popularity. Knee jerk voting without any assessment towards the quality of the piece. So I will be the contrarian and knee jerk the opposite direction. My small way to balance this irrationality.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »

In essence, by default, what anyone votes on, as one they "like" more than the others, would make it all fair anyway. It is not manipulation, just what I voted for. Everyone has the opportunity to vote for their favorites. All I am saying, is 7 of those were a lot easier to pick out than 10. But I managed.  :great:  Everyone gets their chance to vote, so I do not have this magical power to make a false perception of what is deemed popular. And Flunkies didn't strike me as it did some others here. I did not purposely set out to buck the flow, but it just isn't as cool to me as a lot of the other cards. I knew right away the item that the spoof was about, but it just seemed to me not as appealing as many of the others from this series. A little too busy for my wacky taste, this one might have worked better for me as a postcard sized spoof.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:24:41 PM by Playbug »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:12 PM »

You guys can argue for the sake of arguing but I don't think one persons vote has that much influence over the whole body of worl. I was just joking about Flunkies. I know people don't like every piece. I also don't think Flunkies is the hit of this series. Dave probably asked for the art back so people will have to beat him up to get it. I already mentioned my faves. Some may be for sale by Topps.
Dave, what did you retain?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
You guys can argue for the sake of arguing but I don't think one persons vote has that much influence over the whole body of worl. I was just joking about Flunkies. I know people don't like every piece. I also don't think Flunkies is the hit of this series. Dave probably asked for the art back so people will have to beat him up to get it. I already mentioned my faves. Some may be for sale by Topps.
Dave, what did you retain?

I won't be getting my paintings (or 3 sketch returns) back until next week. I didn't get all that I asked for (goodbye Mister Faulty...sniff). I should be getting back Flunkies, Whyler's, Orange Lush, Ka-Boo! and Sue Mee. I plan to keep a few of these so I'm just going to sit on them for a short time while I decide.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
Flunkies is a masterpiece imo  :great:

Also really like Knerrds (apologies for spelling -- I'm not at my keyboard and am going by memory), Wedgie, Mister Faulty, Croakaseptic, B-B-Brats, Aqua Hellva, Palmolotov, Sad Bags.

And Swine Bros also seemed very vintage-16th-like to me. Many of the stickers seemed very Old School, which has been great fun for me.

Excellent job, all! :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:41:26 PM by Ducko »

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
Here were my top 10 picks (in checklist order)

Tarry Ton Cigarettes - Great Gag ! Reminds me of the Cig. packaging back in the day, I used to work at a Vending company. Bel Air is great too.
Orange Lush - Awesome !
Ruin-Oleum - Vintage feel with the spoof making you think, yeah that is what happens when you use this!
ROT Dye - My favorite of the series, makes me want to see more of the art! This would be great as a Wacky Ad!
Stinkin' Legs  - Ghouls Rule !
Aqua Hellva  - Great! I remember that glass dispenser.
Kal Kan't Dog Food  - Perfect joke and art of the 70's product.
Palmolotov - Nice work, end them dishes!
Hagnut - Zagnut Hag Witch, love it!
Whyler's - Super 70's, nice lemon character

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Hooray! Thanks Brad. We all have our obsessions within this hobby. For example I don't need to know all the details Paul Maul wants to know about packs and wrappers. But I would certainly be supportive of helping him to gain that info. Thanks again.
Why is this poll called "vote for your favorite"?  It should be called, "vote for ones you like".  "favorite" suggests a ranking.  If everyone voted for all 33 titles, you learn nothing.  Since that possibility exists in the extreme, it proves this poll is flawed.  Of the top 15 titles, are you really not interested in the fact that a particular title might be #1 for a majority of the voters?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »

I love the set because it totally has an original series overall look and feel.  I do agree that many of the products being spoofed are unknown to me and that does lower those titles in my ranking when I rank titles in the set.  I also feel that only maybe 1/3 have memorible tag lines.  Take a hard look at original wackys, the reality is that many of the gags are so so, it is hard to make everything LOL funny.  I am clearly in the minority based on the voting but my favorite is Ping Pongs "for people who like to play with their food"
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
Why is this poll called "vote for your favorite"?  It should be called, "vote for ones you like".  "favorite" suggests a ranking.  If everyone voted for all 33 titles, you learn nothing.  Since that possibility exists in the extreme, it proves this poll is flawed.  Of the top 15 titles, are you really not interested in the fact that a particular title might be #1 for a majority of the voters?
Nobody is going to vote for all 33 titles. Even if a few did it doesn't hurt anything. You're still going to get a higher count for the most popular titles. I could see doing a poll where everyone is allowed to vote for their single most favorite title but that shows up in this poll anyway. When I look through a set I can give every title a thumbs up or thumbs down.

anything