Author Topic: WP OLDS2 - Vote for favorite!  (Read 34835 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
WP OLDS2 - Vote for favorite!
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
Time to vote!

This is the complete list of real products (in order on the checklist):

Old Crow whiskey
Ka-Boom cereal
Busch beer
Swift's Brown 'N Serve Sausage
Tarryton cigarettes
Orange Crush
Marathon
Libbyland Sundown Supper
Rust-oleum
Pink Panther Flakes cereal
Mister Salty
B-B-Bats
Knorr soup
RIT dye
Crazy Foam
Bel Air cigarettes
Reggie!
Freakies cereal
Lincoln Legs
Aqua Velva
Clairol Long & Silky
Hostess Ding Dongs
Big Tooth candy
Sue Bee honey
Pine Bros. cough drops
Kal Kan
Palmolive
Glad sandwich bags
Cloraseptic
Cool Whip
Soft & Dri
Zagnut
Wyler's lemonade mix

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: WP OLDS2 - Vote for favorite!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »
My 2 faves are Kal Kan't and Whylers. 2 more that are in my top 5 are stinkin' legs and Mr. Faulty. Tough to pick favorites in this group. They are all really good.
My least favorite would probable be Swin Bros and Ping Pongs but that is just nit picking because they all are great.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »
My 2 faves are Kal Kan't and Whylers. 2 more that are in my top 5 are stinkin' legs and Mr. Faulty. Tough to pick favorites in this group. They are all really good.
My least favorite would probable be Swin Bros and Ping Pongs but that is just nit picking because they all are great.
You've got a shitload of misspells in there!

This top ten approach is bogus. What if you only like 8? What if you really love 12? You should vote for ALL your favorites and let the results tell us what the top ten are.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:09:24 AM by Plan 9 »

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »
Flunkies is my fave of this series. Whyler's and Long & Slimy are 2nd & 3rd.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »

This top ten approach is bogus. What if you only like 8? What if you really love 12? You should vote for ALL your favorites and let the results tell us what the top ten are.

What are you talking about - misspells?
I think top ten is just fine. All were really doing is finding out peoples favorites and getting a list together of what is the consensus for the top stickers. You don't have to pick 10. This is not a contest :^)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:45:35 AM »

My top 4 were Burn n serve, Tarry-Ton 1000's, Lush, and Bad Tooth.

Is there a way to have the vote results automatically sort from most to least instead of having it random?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »
My top 4 were Burn n serve, Tarry-Ton 1000's, Lush, and Bad Tooth.

Is there a way to have the vote results automatically sort from most to least instead of having it random?
At this time it's only as I put them in and that is by checklist order. I will see if there is a mod to sort.
I really don't think the poll feature was designed for big lists. I think it was just to ask yes and no questions or only have a few options.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
Time to vote!

This is the complete list of real products (in order on the checklist):

Old Crow whiskey
Ka-Boom cereal
Busch beer
Swift's Brown 'N Serve Sausage
Tarryton cigarettes
Orange Crush
Marathon
Libbyland Sundown Supper
Rust-oleum
Pink Panther Flakes cereal
Mister Salty
B-B-Bats
Knorr soup
RIT dye
Crazy Foam
Bel Air cigarettes
Reggie!
Freakies cereal
Lincoln Legs
Aqua Velva
Clairol Long & Silky
Hostess Ding Dongs
Big Tooth candy
Sue Bee honey
Pine Bros. cough drops
Kal Kan
Palmolive
Glad sandwich bags
Cloraseptic
Cool Whip
Soft & Dri
Zagnut
Wyler's lemonade mix

Never heard of Big Tooth candy...maybe they should have use Wyler's Lemonade as the Puzzle...love that one!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
Never heard of Big Tooth candy...maybe they should have use Wyler's Lemonade as the Puzzle...love that one!!

It was a big tooth filled with gum. I believe it also had a plastic necklace so you could carry it around your neck.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »

You tell 'em!  

Then the results will tell us!

Seriously though, I kind of see what you're getting at, but are you thinking it through?  

Because, if people list, as you suggest, their top-12, and some list their top 8, you'd have to require the folks who list 12 grade from first-to-last, just how "favorite" each sticker is... and have someone with a statistical analysis come along...and somehow work all of that out, statistically.  Only then would the "results tell us what the top ten are."

Which sounds like an awful lot of work to just have some fun discussing the stickers, and a complex statistical analysis of favoritism seems a bit much.  

It wouldn't be bogus, at least.  

:-)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:39:50 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »

Couldn't use Whyler's because it's not a Topps product. Can't be Old School without the puzzle being the Topps gag.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »

Here are a couple early-to-mid-70's partial Big Tooth box flats from my collection:

Topps - Big Tooth Bubble Gum Box Flat - July 9 1971 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Topps - Big Tooth Bubble Gum Rainbow Colors Box Flat - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

And here are a couple shots of a populated display box (different style than my flats) from my buddy Dan's Flickr - this display box dates to 1979:

Topps Big Tooth Bubble Gum by grickily, on Flickr

Topps Big Tooth Bubble Gum by grickily, on Flickr

And here's a photo of one of the colorful Big Tooth containers:

Topps Big Tooth Bubble Gum by traci*s retro, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:53:19 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »
It was a big tooth filled with gum. I believe it also had a plastic necklace so you could carry it around your neck.

I don't THINK they ever came with the string (though it's certainly possible), but they always marketed it as something you should/could do.  They were released primarily in white plastic, but they were sold throughout the entire decade of the 70's, and during that time, Topps mixed it up and released boxes with all sorts of tooth colors.  The gum was a smaller candy-coated Chiclet-type of thing...  I've got a few unopened containers, but I can't recall exactly.   Pretty fun and a 1970's Topps classic.  Great to see it finally make a Wacky.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:54:23 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »
I don't THINK they ever came with the string (though it's certainly possible), but they always marketed it as something you should/could do.  They were released primarily in white plastic, but they were sold throughout the entire decade of the 70's, and during that time, Topps mixed it up and released boxes with all sorts of tooth colors.  The gum was a smaller candy-coated Chiclet-type of thing...  I've got a few unopened containers, but I can't recall exactly.   Pretty fun and a 1970's Topps classic.  Great to see it finally make a Wacky.  
I remember a very thin plastic string. I know my mom gave them out to the kids at one of my B-day parties. I thought we hung them around our neck. I was only about 8 at the time so my memory is a bit foggy. If I had her photo albums I'm sure there was a picture of these around our necks...LOL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »
At this time it's only as I put them in and that is by checklist order. I will see if there is a mod to sort.
I really don't think the poll feature was designed for big lists. I think it was just to ask yes and no questions or only have a few options.

Then I am withdrawing my votes and not participating in this silly exercise! 

:s_bye2:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »
I remember a very thin plastic string. I know my mom gave them out to the kids at one of my B-day parties. I thought we hung them around our neck. I was only about 8 at the time so my memory is a bit foggy. If I had her photo albums I'm sure there was a picture of these around our necks...LOL

I think your mom wanted a girl instead of a boy and those were necklaces she was hanging on your neck.  haha

Ok, enough of my jokes.  I'll try to be serious. 

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
Flunkies seem to be dominating this poll thus far....which I like very much.

DrDeal

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 03:11:06 PM »
I think your mom wanted a girl instead of a boy and those were necklaces she was hanging on your neck.  haha

Ok, enough of my jokes.  I'll try to be serious. 
She probably did. She did eventually get one so it evened out.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if they were sold WITH strings during some period of their existence.   Hold on...

Just checked something.  I recently took some photos of a 1975 Topps trade ad.. I was doing candy research at the New York Public Library.  Anyway, there is a Big Tooth container included on that, and wouldn't you know it - it says right on the label "Big Tooth Lanyard inside".  So it turns out they most certainly DID come with a string of some kind, at least for a part of their lifetime.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they were sold WITH strings during some period of their existence.   Hold on...

Just checked something.  I recently took some photos of a 1975 Topps trade ad.. I was doing candy research at the New York Public Library.  Anyway, there is a Big Tooth container included on that, and wouldn't you know it - it says right on the label "Big Tooth Lanyard inside".  So it turns out they most certainly DID come with a string of some kind, at least for a part of their lifetime.

Good investigative work!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »

That sounds right... A toy with a built in noose. Just another toy from our era that we could kill ourselves with like clackers, footsies, and lawn jarts.

By the way, for an eye-opener, goto Google image and search the word "footsie".  Oh my.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:27:00 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:17 PM »
You tell 'em!  

Then the results will tell us!

Seriously though, I kind of see what you're getting at, but are you thinking it through?  

Because, if people list, as you suggest, their top-12, and some list their top 8, you'd have to require the folks who list 12 grade from first-to-last, just how "favorite" each sticker is... and have someone with a statistical analysis come along...and somehow work all of that out, statistically.  Only then would the "results tell us what the top ten are."

Which sounds like an awful lot of work to just have some fun discussing the stickers, and a complex statistical analysis of favoritism seems a bit much.  

It wouldn't be bogus, at least.  

:-)

I thought it through with crystal clarity. I ran two other polls here and you get to see how many people like or dislike every single title. These are the details that obsessive collectors like myself want to know. If you want to deduce the top ten from there all you do is go down the list and locate the titles that got the highest vote counts. There's your top ten.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »
What are you talking about - misspells?
I think top ten is just fine. All were really doing is finding out peoples favorites and getting a list together of what is the consensus for the top stickers. You don't have to pick 10. This is not a contest :^)
Call it what you want. I call it a voting poll and I'd like to see how many votes every single title gets. You could easily get your top ten results AND the individual title vote results if you did it the way I did the other polls. Next time let me do the poll if you're indifferent. I don't mind doing it.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »
This is good as I will get an idea of what pieces to request back next week!

Aqua Hellva is spelled wrong BTW.

I will post the art, roughs, credits and stories here soon.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:19:24 PM by slamjim »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
Call it what you want. I call it a voting poll and I'd like to see how many votes every single title gets. You could easily get your top ten results AND the individual title vote results if you did it the way I did the other polls. Next time let me do the poll if you're indifferent. I don't mind doing it.

I only voted for 4 titles because, honestly, that's all I really like from the set.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
This is good as I will get an idea of what pieces to request back next week!

Aqua Hellva is spelled wrong BTW.

I will post the art, roughs, credits and stories here soon.

Damn, my eyes aren't as good as I have to hold the checklist about a foot away to read it. I know I need reading glasses but I'm holding out. Hopefully it's correct now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:42:03 PM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »
It can be changed at any time. I think picking 10 cards is a fair gauge. Look at the neilson ratings for TV. I have got to participate but they seen to include me in their ratings.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
It can be changed at any time. I think picking 10 cards is a fair gauge. Look at the neilson ratings for TV. I have got to participate but they seen to include me in their ratings.
GET THE GLASSES        ASAP
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »
I thought it through with crystal clarity. I ran two other polls here and you get to see how many people like or dislike every single title. These are the details that obsessive collectors like myself want to know. If you want to deduce the top ten from there all you do is go down the list and locate the titles that got the highest vote counts. There's your top ten.

I don't recall the other polls.  So, how did they work, because I think I became confused when you brought up top-8 and top -12?  Would each sticker get a review rating, like 1 to 5 stars?  Or does everyone list their favorite sticker and go down from there, a first-favorite, to last favorite (which sounds way too hard).  Or does each member only vote once - for their single favorite sticker? 

Either way, I think it's nice that you care what your fellow members think of the stickers - it is pretty interesting, as are the various reasons people bring to their point-of-view.  I do recall that Gee Your Hair came out on top for Old School 1.   

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »
A simple change to the poll would allow it to give us more detailed information. Every title gets a thumbs up or thumbs down and we get a rating for every sticker from every voter. The way it's set up now, you're going to have some titles that seem to get low ratings when it's possible that title is also a well liked title but isn't in their top ten. I don't see how you can be so obsessive about Wacky Packs, pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for them, then be so flippant about collecting more detailed Wacky info when other fans ask for it. Fuck it. I'll start another poll later.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
I don't recall the other polls.  So, how did they work, because I think I became confused when you brought up top-8 and top -12?  Would each sticker get a review rating, like 1 to 5 stars?  Or does everyone list their favorite sticker and go down from there, a first-favorite, to last favorite (which sounds way too hard).  Or does each member only vote once - for their single favorite sticker? 

Either way, I think it's nice that you care what your fellow members think of the stickers - it is pretty interesting, as are the various reasons people bring to their point-of-view.  I do recall that Gee Your Hair came out on top for Old School 1.   

Nobody ever likes all titles in a series. With the other polls you get a count for every single title if it's liked by the voter. You compare that info to the total number of voters and you get your statistics for every title in the series. What's the point of just knowing the top ten when you can know even more just my allowing people the freedom to vote for ALL the titles they like?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
It's really not that big of deal to change this and I don't want Mark to start another poll.
I made the change so everyone can vote all of their favorite titles and Mark's heartburn and blood pressure can now be controlled.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
Flunkies seem to have squeaked by as the first place title.   :)

Long live The Freakies:  Boss Moss, Snorkledorf, Hamhose, Cowmumble, Goody Goody, Gargle and Grumble.
My childhood was better because of those mischievous cereal characters.

Regards,  DrDeal

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »
Flunkies seem to have squeaked by as the first place title.   :)

Long live The Freakies:  Boss Moss, Snorkledorf, Hamhose, Cowmumble, Goody Goody, Gargle and Grumble.
My childhood was better because of those mischievous cereal characters.

Regards,  DrDeal

Funny, I don't see the counts.  Maybe it's because I haven't voted yet?  Or, could be that my mind is just elsewhere, and I'm missing something obvious.  Want to spend a little more time looking at them before I vote..........

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
Funny, I don't see the counts.  Maybe it's because I haven't voted yet?  Or, could be that my mind is just elsewhere, and I'm missing something obvious.  Want to spend a little more time looking at them before I vote..........
You have to vote to see the counts. We can't let popularity sway you ;)