Author Topic: Wacky Book II coming this month!  (Read 52627 times)

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
Re: Wacky Book II coming this month!
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »
Happy birthday Gary!

I think Gary's birthday is tomorrow (Thursday).
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
Happy birthday Gary!
Thanks, Ron.  I will be 47 tomorrow.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
Thats right, Kris.....I feel like I am over the hill.....LOL. 

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
Happy Birthday!  ^-^

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
What the hell is up with the Wacky Forum God thing???? LOL

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
Happy Birthday!  ^-^
Thanks, I appreciate that!!!

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2010, 01:48:33 PM »
I bought a book and a Creed DVD so I could get free shipping.  Mine won't go out until the 29th for some reason.  Maybe they are waiting to get the DVD in stock?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
Now we are encroaching into semantics.  It really is the same thing.  The "threads I have posted in" versus "after replies to my post", we are still talking about the same thread either way.  I really don't care how it's worded, I just don't want threads filtered where nobody has posted a message DIRECTLY to me in, yet I want a filtering which DOES show me the threads someone has posted to me directly in.  I understand it probably doesn't exist here and can only hope it will in the future.

I just had the same issue.  I thought it did the job yesterday when I was using it but I just got diverted to 2 threads after hitting "show new replies to your posts" and no one has replied to any of my posts.  Now I'm confused.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
I got my book today and i really like it.  Jays foreward is really a good read and very interesting.  As someone else mentioned, it is nice the way the magazine Wackys were enlarged.  I never understood why they were made smaller in the first place.

I believe the reason the magazine parodies were made smaller is because the planned magazine series was going to be the size of the album stickers.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
THIS IS WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!

I clicked on the "show new replies to my posts".  I only have one post in this thread.  There was only one post after mine and it was NOT in response to MY POST!  Why did it filter this thread if nobody responded to my post??????  ESPECIALLY if the selection was "Show new replies to my posts."  It should say "Show new replies to THREADS that I have posted in." which is pretty useless to me but it would avoid me having to check threads that nobody posted a response to me.  I feel jerked around when using the "show new replies to my posts" option.

And why did it put a face in my string of question marks???????
So what would you be so excited about seeing in a reply to your post? You basically expressed an opinion to the topic. That's what I am still trying to figure out. Why would this feature be so great? I should have replied 'I Agree' LOL. I am just ribbing you because I never used that feature before and I don't understand why anyone would care if they didn't start the thread. Just my 2 cents  :D

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
I just had the same issue.  I thought it did the job yesterday when I was using it but I just got diverted to 2 threads after hitting "show new replies to your posts" and no one has replied to any of my posts.  Now I'm confused.

I'm confused too.  I hope Brad can clear up on how to get an email response if someone replies directly to a post of yours.  I don't care about a "new" post to a thread I've posted to unless it's directly to me!
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »

Happy birthday tomorrow!  On topic.....I received the books today that I had ordered wayyyyyyy back in the fall from Amazon.  Books cool....bonus stickers suck.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BaudLight

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
I ordered a copy from Borders online last fall.  I got an email yesterday that said the book is being shipped to the store and I will get a phone call when it arrives.  I think that I went with that option to get the free shipping.

BaudLight

Offline slayskool

• I'll sell some sweet swell swill someday.
    • Photography by Paul Argyropoulos
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I just had the same issue.  I thought it did the job yesterday when I was using it but I just got diverted to 2 threads after hitting "show new replies to your posts" and no one has replied to any of my posts.  Now I'm confused.
SEE????? It isn't just me.  And why are there faces in my string of question marks???????????

It's putting it there on its own!!!!!!!!!  Hmmm.. does it do it with exclamation points too????????
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:36:00 PM by slayskool »
Remember, all's swill that ends swill.

Offline slayskool

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
So what would you be so excited about seeing in a reply to your post? You basically expressed an opinion to the topic. That's what I am still trying to figure out. Why would this feature be so great? I should have replied 'I Agree' LOL. I am just ribbing you because I never used that feature before and I don't understand why anyone would care if they didn't start the thread. Just my 2 cents  :D

Threads go off topic ALL THE TIME.  They become threads within threads and so I want to be able to navigate to the "sub thread posts" (for lack of a better term) quickly.  And usually, I have started the thread derailment.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:36:55 PM by slayskool »

Offline slayskool

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »
I'm confused too.  I hope Brad can clear up on how to get an email response if someone replies directly to a post of yours.  I don't care about a "new" post to a thread I've posted to unless it's directly to me!
EXACTLY!!!  Thank you Dave!

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »
For those of you who are buying another book in addition to the Wacky book, I recommend the book titled AD BOY.  This book contains reprints of print ads for lots of the '70s products that are parodied on the Wackys, and costs about $12.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2010, 12:45:33 AM »
For those of you who are buying another book in addition to the Wacky book, I recommend the book titled AD BOY.  This book contains reprints of print ads for lots of the '70s products that are parodied on the Wackys, and costs about $12.
Thank you Jay...I'll do just that!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2010, 02:38:52 AM »
Happy birthday tomorrow!  On topic.....I received the books today that I had ordered wayyyyyyy back in the fall from Amazon.  Books cool....bonus stickers suck.
Thanks, Dave,

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2010, 02:39:38 AM »
I believe the reason the magazine parodies were made smaller is because the planned magazine series was going to be the size of the album stickers.
I guess that makes sense.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »

The Taschen "All-American Ads" series of books (one for each decade, from 1900/10s to the 1980s) is also very helpful and entertaining, although they can be a bit pricey (and heavy!).
"Gamera always wins!"

Taz

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »

I seen this and I ordered it with my Wacky books, I got them in the other day and the Ad Boy book is great!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »
I seen this and I ordered it with my Wacky books, I got them in the other day and the Ad Boy book is great!
I just ordered both! The (Ad Boy) book looks like it's going to be fantastic! :o

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »
I just ordered both! The (Ad Boy) book looks like it's going to be fantastic! :o

I just received these three the other day and have been enjoying them all a lot.  The images in all three are excellent and the Wham-O book has lots of text with cool historical information.  I finally ordered my copy of Wacky Book II bundled with some more Americana titles.  It might be time for me to get Amazon Prime.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/806631757_kmUoX-M.jpg[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »
Does everyone know about http://hamiltonbooks.com ?   I usually go there before I buy a book.   It seems like the majority of all books are remaindered after six weeks, and wind up at Hamilton for half price or less.  I can't remember what I paid for the '50s Taschen ad book...But I KNOW I didn't pay the full retail, so I probably got it from Hamilton.

Offline Kook

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
I just received these three the other day and have been enjoying them all a lot.  The images in all three are excellent and the Wham-O book has lots of text with cool historical information.  I finally ordered my copy of Wacky Book II bundled with some more Americana titles.  It might be time for me to get Amazon Prime.

Hi, I saw your book purchase & was wondering if you though Ad Boy & Meet Mr Product were different enough to buy both. Thanks

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
Does everyone know about http://hamiltonbooks.com ?   I usually go there before I buy a book.   It seems like the majority of all books are remaindered after six weeks, and wind up at Hamilton for half price or less.  I can't remember what I paid for the '50s Taschen ad book...But I KNOW I didn't pay the full retail, so I probably got it from Hamilton.

Good to know.  Thanks for the link Jay.  Hamilton doesn't currently have the Taschen 50's Ad book available but Amazon has it for $30.00.

Hamilton does have this one though. Weird and Wacky Ads of Yesteryear for $7.95

[expando]http://i40.tinypic.com/2mmigap.png[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »
Hi, I saw your book purchase & was wondering if you though Ad Boy & Meet Mr Product were different enough to buy both. Thanks

I do indeed.  Plenty of unique artwork in each. Both done by the same two guys. Excellent printing. Fun stuff.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
This book just came out,  and I haven't seen it yet....but the author interviewed me a few times for this book, and it has a chapter on Woody Gelman, one of the creators of Wacky Packages.  http://www.amazon.com/Mint-Condition-Baseball-American-Obsession/dp/0802119395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269555534&sr=8-1

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »
SEE????? It isn't just me.  And why are there faces in my string of question marks???????????

It's putting it there on its own!!!!!!!!!  Hmmm.. does it do it with exclamation points too????????

I'd like to have things work that way too. If someone makes a post to me directly I'd like just for that post to be sent to me.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »
For those of you who are buying another book in addition to the Wacky book, I recommend the book titled AD BOY.  This book contains reprints of print ads for lots of the '70s products that are parodied on the Wackys, and costs about $12.
Thanks for the reccomendation Jay! I would not have bought it without it, I just got both books yesterday, and the "Ad Boy" book is fantastic! Love all those old "Advertising Icons" ...Good stuff. Thanks again Jay. All my WACKY best...RonZ 8)          P.S. I got both books off of "Amazon" for $25 shipped! :o
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:07:45 AM by RonZombie »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »

Meet Mr. Product and Ad Boy are both fantastic, and I endorse them as well.

Ad Boy "inadvertently" utilized my 1970's Hot Tamales box scan (with some digital clean-ups - sound familiar) - should I call a lawyer?  Har har...

When I noticed it, I quickly and peacefully hashed it out with one of the authors, and got a free autographed copy of the book out of him (gave my other copy away).  He had already thanked me in the acknowledgment page for inspiration, but I was happy to get the extra copy.  And frankly, I was gratified to see one of my favorite candy pieces get the press. 

Beyond those two books, I also want to recommend Krazy Kids Food, by Dan Goodsell.  It's another wonderful collection of cool vintage product images, and stuff many of us will remember.

Pieces like this Chiclets box:
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
Meet Mr. Product and Ad Boy are both fantastic, and I endorse them as well.

Ad Boy "inadvertently" utilized my 1970's Hot Tamales box scan (with some digital clean-ups - sound familiar) - should I call a lawyer?  Har har...

When I noticed it, I quickly and peacefully hashed it out with one of the authors, and got a free autographed copy of the book out of him (gave my other copy away).  He had already thanked me in the acknowledgment page for inspiration, but I was happy to get the extra copy.  And frankly, I was gratified to see one of my favorite candy pieces get the press. 

Beyond those two books, I also want to recommend Krazy Kids Food, by Dan Goodsell.  It's another wonderful collection of cool vintage product images, and stuff many of us will remember.

Pieces like this Chiclets box: (Image removed from quote.)
Thanks I'll check it out!

Offline 6up

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2010, 06:12:06 PM »
Havent seen this posted anywhere.  Is there plans for a 2nd edition with a different set of stickers?  I am happy for any new stickers but these were probably the low point for choices IMO.

Offline Beanball

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »
Looks like I'll get it too then. Oh boy.

anything