Author Topic: Looking for this music CD  (Read 4764 times)

Taz

Looking for this music CD
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
I'm looking to obtain the debut album from a band called Diving for Pearls back from 1989.  If you have this or know of anyone that would be willing to sell it please let me know.

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Looking for this music CD
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
I'm looking to obtain the debut album from a band called Diving for Pearls back from 1989.  If you have this or know of anyone that would be willing to sell it please let me know.

I assume you are boycotting eBay?     ;D

Taz

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »
I assume you are boycotting eBay?     ;D

Damn straight! >:D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »

Taz

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:12:23 PM »
http://www.gomusicnow.com/album.html?id=42683
How about $.81 ;)

Good to know, but I am looking for the CD itself.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
Good to know, but I am looking for the CD itself.

Why do you need the CD? I hate CD's. I gave my neighbor over 100 CD's including this one because I'm tired of storing them. I already have the songs in iTunes.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »
My friend Mitch (Lavirus) is definitely the music guru!  If he doesn't have it or can't find it, no one can!   :D

Taz

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »
My friend Mitch (Lavirus) is definitely the music guru!  If he doesn't have it or can't find it, no one can!   :D

Let me know, thanks!

Taz

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
Ah, you must be one of those audio purists who objects to the brickwall remastering most new CDs receive. Amazon has a separate entry for the 1989 edition (http://www.amazon.com/Diving-for-Pearls/dp/B000008F48/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1) but you'd still be advised to email the sellers to confirm it's the version you want. One of them will have it.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:37 AM »
Ah, you must be one of those audio purists who objects to the brickwall remastering most new CDs receive.

Could you explain what that means?

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 11:31:55 AM »
It wasn't meant as a slight. Basically, for the last 10 years or so, new CDs and CD reissues have been mastered for sheer volume, and that means that you lose the relative balance between the instruments if they're all at maximum volume, so dynamics are eliminated and listening fatigue can set in after a short period of time as your ears just can't handle it.

This article explains it well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »
It wasn't meant as a slight. Basically, for the last 10 years or so, new CDs and CD reissues have been mastered for sheer volume, and that means that you lose the relative balance between the instruments if they're all at maximum volume, so dynamics are eliminated and listening fatigue can set in after a short period of time as your ears just can't handle it.

This article explains it well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

That's interesting.  I hadn't heard that before.  So does that mean they make the decibel levels more equal between instruments so they can go louder without distortion?   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
That's interesting.  I hadn't heard that before.  So does that mean they make the decibel levels more equal between instruments so they can go louder without distortion?   

I'm no audio engineer but I'd guess you're mostly right, though distortion and/or clipping still happens. I normalize the volume of all my MP3s so I don't have to constantly adjust the volume. MP3Gain is a simple program that does it for you quick and easy. It helps with the sheer loudness but doesn't do anything about the loss of dynamics.

Taz

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »
Ah, you must be one of those audio purists who objects to the brickwall remastering most new CDs receive. Amazon has a separate entry for the 1989 edition (http://www.amazon.com/Diving-for-Pearls/dp/B000008F48/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1) but you'd still be advised to email the sellers to confirm it's the version you want. One of them will have it.

You have got me pegged, you are correct in your analysis.

anything