Author Topic: Old School Sketch Registry List  (Read 79350 times)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Re: Old School Sketch Registry List
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
Should we all sit shiva?

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »
Sorry, due to the boxes religious beliefs they had to be buried immediately.

Actually I am serious. There is a fair chance that they weren't burnt beyond recognition. I imagine it might be a problem knowing what box was the Topps boxes though so I guess that would not work. I guess it's a good thing the guy didn't order 50 boxes.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »

Actually I am serious. There is a fair chance that they weren't burnt beyond recognition. I imagine it might be a problem knowing what box was the Topps boxes though so I guess that would not work. I guess it's a good thing the guy didn't order 50 boxes.

Yeah, I have no idea what happened to them. Other UPS stuff was also burned up so it was a mess. The guy DID order like 70 boxes but those were sent in a different order.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »
Yeah, I have no idea what happened to them. Other UPS stuff was also burned up so it was a mess. The guy DID order like 70 boxes but those were sent in a different order.
Whew!  I was kidding about all the boxes burning up (of course.) But 70 boxes would have been pretty damn bad. :(

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »
Looks like you're a (Full-Member) now! Welcome to the club...LOL!!! All my WACKY best...RonZ 8)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2010, 08:12:55 AM »
Here is my contribution for ScaryLee and anyone else who is keeping track of what sketches are being pulled. These haven't been listed anywhere else:

Batz B/W
Gadzooka woman B/W
Fish Bone guy B/W

No color, but that's what the poster is for, I guess.

"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
Ernie --

If memory serves, when you first posted your hypothetical breakdown of numbers of sketches on the other forum, didn't Jay say he would try to find the actual numbers? Any further developments on this? Just curious.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
I still haven't heard from Topps on the actual numbers of sketchcards.  I guess they will reply when things slow down a little for them.  Probably Dave and I will know at the same time what the numbers are.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »
Please add another Fishbone Russian guy to the list. I just got my replacement box from Topps, and that's what was in it.

Offline kidwacky

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
here is what i pulled orginally.

2 Bazzoka girls
1 bat / umbrella girl
1 kook
1 qweep

I voted earilier but do not know if it went thru.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
here is what i pulled orginally.

2 Bazzoka girls
1 bat / umbrella girl
1 kook
1 qweep

I voted earilier but do not know if it went thru.
If you can't vote again then it went through. The problem with this is you can only vote once. I was hoping we could vote twice since some people have doubles but I can't find a way to make it work that way so basically this is just a checklist.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
Okay today was another very cool March 16th! First thing that happened is that I got the colored Pupsi in the mail which I purchased from a fellow forum member. It is very cool looking. I have attached it below the chicken fat pic.

For those that don't know, on March 16, 1991 I made the biggest acquisition of my life when I purchased the 2nd series Colorforms aliens, and then last year on March 16 I got the original art to Nutti-Brain after 5 years of wanting it.

The reason I got the Pupsi is that I intend to use it as trade bait for a colored Hungry Jerk. Very ironically, less than 3 hours after I sent payment for it I was notified by someone here that a colored Hungry Jerk has surfaced but the person is not likely to want to part with it. Fortunately there are 2 Hungry Jerks out there somewhere, or maybe that person will be more interested in Pupsi?

Then while I was going through my sketches I found a chicken fat that I had not noticed before. Not only is it a rare shaded one it also has a word balloon.

I googled Spa Fon and apparently it is from EC comics, and means oh my god or dear god in Venusian? Maybe Jay has a take on what exactly he meant by this?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:19:57 PM by ScaryLee »

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Then while I was going through my sketches I found a chicken fat that I had not noticed before. Not only is it a rare shaded one it also has a word balloon.

I googled Spa Fon and apparently it is from EC comics, and means oh my go or dear god in Venusian? Maybe Jay has a take on what exactly he meant by this?

(Image removed from quote.)

Very cool John!  And the phrase Spa Fon appears on the Melty Way ad.  Makes that Chicken Fat sketch even more wacky!!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
Wow! I knew that the phrase "spa fon" was somehow familiar to me. Of course I love the Melty way ad, that's the coolest one!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Okay today was another very cool March 16th! First thing that happened is that I got the colored Pupsi in the mail which I purchased from a fellow forum member. It is very cool looking. I have attached it below the chicken fat pic.

For those that don't know, on March 16, 1991 I made the biggest acquisition of my life when I purchased the 2nd series Colorforms aliens, and then last year on March 16 I got the original art to Nutti-Brain after 5 years of wanting it.

The reason I got the Pupsi is that I intend to use it as trade bait for a colored Hungry Jerk. Very ironically, less than 3 hours after I sent payment for it I was notified by someone here that a colored Hungry Jerk has surfaced but the person is not likely to want to part with it. Fortunately there are 2 Hungry Jerks out there somewhere, or maybe that person will be more interested in Pupsi?

I googled Spa Fon and apparently it is from EC comics, and means oh my go or dear god in Venusian? Maybe Jay has a take on what exactly he meant by this?

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool dude, Jay said he did many Chicken Fats with blurbs so I was wondering why only one had appeared so far!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »

For those that don't know, on March 16, 1991 I made the biggest acquisition of my life when I purchased the 2nd series Colorforms aliens

you have the 2nd series!  :o Any pics?
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
you have the 2nd series!  :o Any pics?

Wow you are familiar with them? Yes I have them, I got them from the guy who worked for Colorforms and created every aspect of them. It cost me and my brother $3000 in '91 which was a small fortune to me back then but they are much more valuable now and prices may be about to go up further. There is like 5-6 sets known to exist.

Here are 2 pics. Just the 2nd series, and then my entire collection of larger size aliens (the 7-9 inch ones), including the Bullmarks from Japan, which also cost me $3000. I also have a lot of mini aliens. The second series that I have are the actual aliens that were used for photographing the Coloforms puzzles.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:26 AM »
Very cool John!  And the phrase Spa Fon appears on the Melty Way ad.  Makes that Chicken Fat sketch even more wacky!!

YES!- the Melty Way ad, of course! I couldn't remember where the heck I had seen that before! Guess I'd better brush up on my wacky ads!

THANKS!!!

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2010, 06:06:13 AM »
Wow you are familiar with them? Yes I have them, I got them from the guy who worked for Colorforms and created every aspect of them. It cost me and my brother $3000 in '91 which was a small fortune to me back then but they are much more valuable now and prices may be about to go up further. There is like 5-6 sets known to exist.

Here are 2 pics. Just the 2nd series, and then my entire collection of larger size aliens (the 7-9 inch ones), including the Bullmarks from Japan, which also cost me $3000. I also have a lot of mini aliens. The second series that I have are the actual aliens that were used for photographing the Coloforms puzzles.

Simply incredible!!!!

I had the colorform aliens colorform set when I was a kid, and the cover shows all the series 2 guys. At the time I just thought they were the coolest looking things I had ever seen. As I go older & started collecting toys, the colorform aliens were my favorite things to go after, and I eventually found out the ones used on the colorforms box were actually produced. I heard there were only 5 sets known, so I knew I could never have them, but man, that is about the coolest thing in the world, that you have them NAD they were the ones used on the puzzles, and my old colorform set. Wow!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2010, 07:42:24 AM »
There is another somewhere where the chicken says "squa tront"....another EC comics alien phrase.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:44 AM »
There is another somewhere where the chicken says "squa tront"....another EC comics alien phrase.

Jay were you aware of the Spa Fon on Melty way when you wrote that or did you just get it from EC comics?

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »
Simply incredible!!!!

I had the colorform aliens colorform set when I was a kid, and the cover shows all the series 2 guys. At the time I just thought they were the coolest looking things I had ever seen. As I go older & started collecting toys, the colorform aliens were my favorite things to go after, and I eventually found out the ones used on the colorforms box were actually produced. I heard there were only 5 sets known, so I knew I could never have them, but man, that is about the coolest thing in the world, that you have them NAD they were the ones used on the puzzles, and my old colorform set. Wow!

Me and brother had Colossus rex and Electron as children and then in '77 we got the puzzles but did not see the Colorforms set until 1987. Colossus Rex was our favorite toy as a child and Cyclops looked even cooler. One day in 1990 we had pretty much concluded that the 2nd series was so rare that it may only exist in protoype form, and my brother said to me I wonder where the figures they used to photogrpah the puzzles are now? 6 months later they were ours! IMO the Wacky Pack equivalent of this find would be like buying a box of Wackys and finding every non guernsey auction original painting that had never shown up. The day we purchased them we say and talked to the creator for about 2 hours at the Atlantique city toy show back in the days when it was cool. The show really sucks now. Anyway, getting to sit for 2 hours with this guy was a major life experience as well. The way I got them is I photographed the colorforms set, cropped out the 1st series aliens with black construction paper, and used the photo to place an ad in the magazine Toyshop for 4 consecutive months advertising for the 2nd series. On the 2nd month I got a letter from the creator telling me to save my money and stop advertising because only 4-5 sets were ever produced and he isn't selling. 4 months later he found a box with 2 more of the sets on the cards in his attic while looking for things to sell at Atlantic city and so he gave me a call to tell me he would sell me a set. It was a truly exciting moment. I was also given the option to buy a carded set for $6000, but not only could I not have afford it, I would rather have them loose. They are really super cool toys. If you ever make it to a Philly show let me know and I would bring them along to show you.

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
When I wrote it, I wasn't thinking about Melty Way.  But Spiegelman and I use that phraise often in our work...not just the Wacky stuff.  We loved those EC comics when we were kids.  Here is a rare book that is on ebay now http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-HEY-LOOK-BOOK-by-HARVEY-KURTZMAN-10-20-1978_W0QQitemZ310177472380QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4838049f7c#ht_6183wt_1167  Unlike the mass market Hey Look book that came out in the early 90s,  This book has every single Hey Look strip ever done in it.  Only 20 copies were printed. 

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
When I wrote it, I wasn't thinking about Melty Way.  But Spiegelman and I use that phraise often in our work...not just the Wacky stuff.  We loved those EC comics when we were kids.  Here is a rare book that is on ebay now http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-HEY-LOOK-BOOK-by-HARVEY-KURTZMAN-10-20-1978_W0QQitemZ310177472380QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4838049f7c#ht_6183wt_1167  Unlike the mass market Hey Look book that came out in the early 90s,  This book has every single Hey Look strip ever done in it.  Only 20 copies were printed. 

Very cool! Thanks for the insights, and for all the labor you put in to the sketches. I have a line on the colored Hungry Jerk and I can't wait to add it to my collection!

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »
I just did a seach for my name in ebay under "titles and descriptions", and I see that due to the plethora of sketch cards on there, people are trying to sell everything I ever did for Topps, including the really crazy stuff.  My favorite item up there is this one  http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Topps-Garbage-Pail-Kids-Original-Art-Ferited_W0QQitemZ120527150000QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ffa5bb0
Blow up the image and read my note to Jeff Zapata. 

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »
I just did a seach for my name in ebay under "titles and descriptions", and I see that due to the plethora of sketch cards on there, people are trying to sell everything I ever did for Topps, including the really crazy stuff.  My favorite item up there is this one  http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Topps-Garbage-Pail-Kids-Original-Art-Ferited_W0QQitemZ120527150000QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ffa5bb0
That looks great Jay! I may just "snatch" it up!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »

Too funny. "Cause kids like cell phones"  :]

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »

I like the alternate names Legion Ari and Beau Digestion. I'm not sure the digestion gag completely applies to the situation, but it's hysterical and a great play on Beau Geste (I only got this because of the Marty Feldman movie "The Last Remake of Beau Geste").

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »
So this list is way out of date. How many total color sketches have been recorded by a forum member and on Ebay or by someone who knows someone who has one? In other words how many color sketches are known by this forum to be out of boxes?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
So this list is way out of date. How many total color sketches have been recorded by a forum member and on Ebay or by someone who knows someone who has one? In other words how many color sketches are known by this forum to be out of boxes?

What I know for sure on the colors:

Bubble boy - I pulled
Teacher - private collector
Pupsi - forum member
Chef Girl - private collector
Dr. Popper - Mark Alfrey
Hungry Jerk - private collector
Chedder Mouse - ebay sale
Spaz kid - ebay sale

That's it.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
What I know for sure on the colors:

Bubble boy - I pulled
Teacher - private collector
Pupsi - forum member
Chef Girl - private collector
Dr. Popper - Mark Alfrey
Hungry Jerk - private collector
Chedder Mouse - ebay sale
Spaz kid - ebay sale

That's it.

Someone also had a Cap'n Crud recently.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »
Someone posted their Cap n crud over at the other forum.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »
having two forums sucks.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »

I just received a message today from a private collector that just scored the other colored bubble boy. So are we up to 10 yet :D

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2010, 10:26:44 PM »
Which "other" forum?  While I can only log on to greg's forum as it doesn't allow me to read threads, I never see any more than 2 or 3 people logged in at a time there.  Since greg is so anti-old school, are they posting images of Old school sketches to taunt him?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

anything