Author Topic: Old School Sketch Registry List  (Read 79405 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Old School Sketch Registry List
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
That reminds me of one of my favorite movies from the 70's:  West World

I loved that movie. My cousin and I saw it in the movies when we were kids and we left the theater all pumped up.

That square sketch reminds me of old pixelated video games like Mario and Legend of Zelda.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
Got a couple more to add to the registry. That square Nit just cracked me up when I pulled him.

I love that squarish half-wit!  Did you just pull these?  I thought you were done.  Of course, I've thought I was done several times already  :^)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »
I love that squarish half-wit!  Did you just pull these?  I thought you were done.  Of course, I've thought I was done several times already  :^)

I thought I was done also ;)
I might be close to being done. I just got in another 20 boxes today and didn't get any colored or super exotic. I did get a Batz and a nitwit. I have those already so I just posted them on ebay.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
I thought I was done also ;)
I might be close to being done. I just got in another 20 boxes today and didn't get any colored or super exotic. I did get a Batz and a nitwit. I have those already so I just posted them on ebay.
Congrats!  How many boxes were in the order(s) that yielded the color 15th Avenue and the pixel half-wit?

I just got my state income tax refund check, and I'm trying to be strong....... 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
Congrats!  How many boxes were in the order(s) that yielded the color 15th Avenue and the pixel half-wit?

I just got my state income tax refund check, and I'm trying to be strong....... 

Those were in a 20 box order. I now have 163 unopened pack boxes in my office  :o

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2010, 06:16:20 AM »
Those were in a 20 box order. I now have 163 unopened pack boxes in my office  :o
For the money you spent looking for color doodles you could own a nice collection of real Wacky art. 5-10 good pieces. Are you managing to recoup most of this expense?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2010, 07:00:28 AM »
For the money you spent looking for color doodles you could own a nice collection of real Wacky art. 5-10 good pieces. Are you managing to recoup most of this expense?

I have recouped all but about $600 and I have my main B&W sketch keeper set and 138 double b&w sketches. I love the thrill of sketch hunting. I also have about 50+ of the 5X7 sets and about 50 of the colored logo sets. I have a trade in the works for all of my unopened pack boxes, 5x7 sets, & color logo sets. this has been a fun ride.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
I have a trade in the works for all of my unopened pack boxes, 5x7 sets, & color logo sets. this has been a fun ride.

Has the somewhat limited supply of old school boxes kept the old school base sets from being rendered utterly
worthless by the sketch hunting, like happened with the Flashback base sets? I'm trying to imagine why anyone
would want to trade for the unopened packs without the sketches.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2010, 08:15:07 AM »
Has the somewhat limited supply of old school boxes kept the old school base sets from being rendered utterly
worthless by the sketch hunting, like happened with the Flashback base sets? I'm trying to imagine why anyone
would want to trade for the unopened packs without the sketches.

I can't answer that for you since I don't have any statistics to back me up. Kinda like the picture of one of our collectors walls that are loaded with ANS boxes. Everyone collects for a reason. This could be because this is the inaugural series for OLDS. We may have a long run on OLDS. Only time will tell.
Keep in mind that these are unopened packs and the sketches are just an insert and not a sub set. Look at original series full boxes pricing. I doubt these will have the same value but it might have more value then the ANS or flashback stuff because of the limited run. Who knows?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2010, 08:43:21 AM »

Keep in mind that these are unopened packs and the sketches are just an insert and not a sub set. Look at original series full boxes pricing. I doubt these will have the same value but it might have more value then the ANS or flashback stuff because of the limited run. Who knows?

Where's the distinction between an insert and a subset? Either way, you have many people buying tons of boxes
without wanting the base set cards.

Modern boxes wouldn't likely go up much in value just due to the fact that so many are saving them (some, like
Greg, in huge quantities). But when you throw in the inserts/parallels, it only amplifies the effect. Old School
having a limited run will have some positive effect on value, but you yourself have created 150+ boxes of packs to be absorbed by the marketplace. Doesn't seem like much room for growth.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »
Where's the distinction between an insert and a subset? Either way, you have many people buying tons of boxes
without wanting the base set cards.

Modern boxes wouldn't likely go up much in value just due to the fact that so many are saving them (some, like
Greg, in huge quantities). But when you throw in the inserts/parallels, it only amplifies the effect. Old School
having a limited run will have some positive effect on value, but you yourself have created 150+ boxes of packs to be absorbed by the marketplace. Doesn't seem like much room for growth.

A lot of collectors don't collect for future value growth. As we all know if we collected for future value we would not be in any hobby for long. My mother still has closets full of worthless beanie babies  ;)
Each collector has their own passion. Some want to be surrounded by what they love and order tons of inventory. Some want just the bare minimums. That's what's fun about collecting.
If you only collected because of future value you will have a lot of sleepless nights. I collected a ton of football cards in the 90's and was only collecting for future value. They are all mostly worthless now and I have since tossed them to make room for something I love more and that's wacky's. I don't collect wacky's hoping they will go up in value. If they do that's great. I usually collect 2 of everything so I have one for keeper and one to sell later if I need to or find someone that is missing something.
My passion for the OLDS was to pull colored and unique sketches. There are a couple colored sketches that I would love to have but they haven't surfaced and I didn't pull them so I sold off the ones I pulled to buy more in hopes of pulling the ones I wanted. My goal is not future value because I think the colored sketches may drop in value after the craze of sketch cards wears off. No one knows for sure.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
I realize people can enjoy collecting even if there is no potential for future value, I do myself. My original question was just whether or not the Old School Base Sets were rendered almost or completely worthless by the sketch hunting. I ask the question not because I care (or think others do) if their "investment" will appreciate, but because I think it has a potentially detrimental effect on the health of Old School going forward.

Let's say tons of boxes are bought by sketch hunters, with the packs or base sets being dumped on the market at a deep discount. Why would anyone like myself (who feels obligated to pick up a set or two, but really doesn't care about the inserts) buy Series 2 boxes, when I know I'll be able to pick up the base set or tons of packs ultra cheap?
Anyone with basic aspirations would have no reason to order boxes at all.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the boxes sell through whether its to sketch hunters or normal collectors, and the limited release makes this effect less severe than it was with the flashbacks, where the available quantity of base sets was so astronomical as to make them literally worthless.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
I realize people can enjoy collecting even if there is no potential for future value, I do myself. My original question was just whether or not the Old School Base Sets were rendered almost or completely worthless by the sketch hunting. I ask the question not because I care (or think others do) if their "investment" will appreciate, but because I think it has a potentially detrimental effect on the health of Old School going forward.

Let's say tons of boxes are bought by sketch hunters, with the packs or base sets being dumped on the market at a deep discount. Why would anyone like myself (who feels obligated to pick up a set or two, but really doesn't care about the inserts) buy Series 2 boxes, when I know I'll be able to pick up the base set or tons of packs ultra cheap?

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the boxes sell through whether its to sketch hunters or normal collectors, and the limited release makes this effect less severe than it was with the flashbacks, where the available quantity of base sets was so astronomical as to make them literally worthless.

I would say at this point in time if you would need to drop to at least 10 bucks to sell a base set with puzzle, and even then it may not sell.  Hopefully the fact that the run was limited, at least in comparison to the Flashbacks, their value will raise a little as time goes on.  The sketch cards without question de-value the base sets somewhat, but there's also know doubt that they sell boxes, and lot's of them.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »
I would say at this point in time if you would need to drop to at least 10 bucks to sell a base set with puzzle, and even then it may not sell.  Hopefully the fact that the run was limited, at least in comparison to the Flashbacks, their value will raise a little as time goes on.  The sketch cards without question de-value the base sets somewhat, but there's also know doubt that they sell boxes, and lot's of them.

I wonder what Topps has up their sleeve for OLDS2? They got us with the sketch cards and now they will have to top it to keep sales moving. I always love the chase.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I wonder what Topps has up their sleeve for OLDS2? They got us with the sketch cards and now they will have to top it to keep sales moving. I always love the chase.

I would guess they would keep the format very similar to the 1st series but who knows.  I would like to see the sketch cards shuffled into the packs to make pack cracking more exciting, but I'd be more than happy if it was identical to series 1.  I guess we are looking at ANS7, Postcard series 6 and OLDS2 and possibly all within the next year!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
I would guess they would keep the format very similar to the 1st series but who knows.  I would like to see the sketch cards shuffled into the packs to make pack cracking more exciting, but I'd be more than happy if it was identical to series 1.  I guess we are looking at ANS7, Postcard series 6 and OLDS2 and possibly all within the next year!
I say...Bring em on!!! What a wonderful time to be WACKY LOL!!! :]
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »

I don't think there is any way Jay is going to do another 3500 sketches :D
I think they should have Jay do a couple hundred color sketches to be randomly inserted into boxes. I would like to see 2-4 versions at most of each character sketched so that would be a total of 50 or so different characters. also some random B&W nitwits and one offs would be fantastic as well.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »
I hope that they change the collation of base stickers in packs so that they will be mixed up enough that you won't be able to tell what you're going to get when you open a pack.  I think that will make the pack-cracking more fun as well.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2010, 02:52:06 PM »

Isn't your concern true about almost anything produced in this day in age that is not limited?  There are more of each baseball card, GPK kid, Wacky pack sticker produced than there are collectors for every set.  The 3500 limitation has to give Old School and edge over everything that basically has no ceiling in terms of potential to hold some value.  Face it, "collecting" is inherently a house of cards(pun intended) waiting to collapse as there isn't anything intrinically valuable about the produced item.  It is only "demand" that creates pops in price, demand that in many cases is reasonably artificially created like a rookie card of a good baseball player who suddenly gets hurt and his career ends.....

I would like to see future wacky pack sets all limited in production but I realize that doesn't spell viability and profitability for Topps and the only thing that matters is Topps profitability, not collect profitiability.

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »
The sketch cards had nothing to do with devaluing the base set.  It is purely a supply and demand equation so Topps produced 3500 boxes and that exceeds the number of collectors, therefore the price won't hold.  The sketch cards only insured those boxes would all get purchased but had no impact on production and demand for the sets themselves.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »
They would have to make sure the packs are not easily identifiable by weight or other mechanism otherwise we will end up with a bunch of "searched" packs on the market.  If the sketch card replaced a regular card in random packs making the packs in effect weight virtually the same, then this would be great and I think a better idea than the one per box idea as it would insure all packs would stay in demand.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »
They would have to make sure the packs are not easily identifiable by weight or other mechanism otherwise we will end up with a bunch of "searched" packs on the market.  If the sketch card replaced a regular card in random packs making the packs in effect weight virtually the same, then this would be great and I think a better idea than the one per box idea as it would insure all packs would stay in demand.

They could still do the envelope in select boxes but you are right about the weight. People could order cases and just weigh them to search for the extra ounce to pull the envelope. unless there was something else in the envelope that equaled the amount of weight of the sketch card as a bonus card of some sort......
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:12:23 PM by BumChex »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2010, 03:02:52 PM »
They would have to make sure the packs are not easily identifiable by weight or other mechanism otherwise we will end up with a bunch of "searched" packs on the market.  If the sketch card replaced a regular card in random packs making the packs in effect weight virtually the same, then this would be great and I think a better idea than the one per box idea as it would insure all packs would stay in demand.

As much as I like the idea of making the pack cracking more fun by putting the sketches into the packs, I really liked having the sketch card in a penny sleeve.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »

This may not have happened if the Sketch card was included in the actual packs and not the big red envelope. Maybe that will be the case for the Olds2, but it still won't stop the sketch chasers from ending up with tons of base sets. At least, after the dust settles (if Olds2 is done with the Sketch or chase card IN the actual packs) the unopened packs will still command a higher value because of the chance.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
The sketch cards had nothing to do with devaluing the base set.  It is purely a supply and demand equation so Topps produced 3500 boxes and that exceeds the number of collectors, therefore the price won't hold.  The sketch cards only insured those boxes would all get purchased but had no impact on production and demand for the sets themselves.

But the sketch cards do play a major role in the availability of base sets, which directly effects value, because instead of the base sets being locked up in boxes at Topps which would cause collectors to have to pay $50 for 2 sets, we now have a situation where some collectors are sitting on dozens and dozens of extra sets, dumping them on ebay and having the price plummet as everyone competes to try to sell their sets. If a select few people didn't go nuts on the sketch card buying and Topps was stuck holding 1500 boxes they wouldn't lower the price to liquidate them, they would be content to let them sell over the next 5 years until they eventually sell out, so without the sketch cards prices on sets would be much higher.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2010, 10:44:32 AM »
With only about 7400 possible complete sets available, these base sets will probably continually rise in price over the next year.  I believe Topps only has about 250 boxes remaining out of the 3650 produced.  I did take a small poll a few weeks ago and found out that most people are opening their boxes.  Yes, collectors and dealers are dumping their base sets after pulling the popular sketch cards.   I don't believe that many people are holding their unopened boxes.  I would be very shocked if there are more than 700 unopened boxes remaining with Topps, speculators, dealers or collectors. It is impossible for any of us to predict the future but my hunch is that set prices, unopened boxes and Sketch cards will steady rise over the next year expecially after Topps sells out.   There are still many of causal Wacky collectors out there that still do not know that Old School exists as Topps did not do the best job marketing this great product.  Old School has only been available for about 3 months now.  Give it time.  I think that Old School is a winner and I hope it will be around for a long time.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »
With only about 7400 possible complete sets available, these base sets will probably continually rise in price over the next year.  I believe Topps only has about 250 boxes remaining out of the 3650 produced.  I did take a small poll a few weeks ago and found out that most people are opening their boxes.  Yes, collectors and dealers are dumping their base sets after pulling the popular sketch cards.   I don't believe that many people are holding their unopened boxes.  I would be very shocked if there are more than 700 unopened boxes remaining with Topps, speculators, dealers or collectors. It is impossible for any of us to predict the future but my hunch is that set prices, unopened boxes and Sketch cards will steady rise over the next year expecially after Topps sells out.   There are still many of causal Wacky collectors out there that still do not know that Old School exists as Topps did not do the best job marketing this great product.  Old School has only been available for about 3 months now.  Give it time.  I think that Old School is a winner and I hope it will be around for a long time.

I agree that there are many that don't know about OLDS. I have a hunch also that when they release 2010 to the retail that people will take notice and wonder where the OLDS are. It might stir a buying spree. You just never know.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
But the sketch cards do play a major role in the availability of base sets, which directly effects value, because instead of the base sets being locked up in boxes at Topps which would cause collectors to have to pay $50 for 2 sets, we now have a situation where some collectors are sitting on dozens and dozens of extra sets, dumping them on ebay and having the price plummet as everyone competes to try to sell their sets. If a select few people didn't go nuts on the sketch card buying and Topps was stuck holding 1500 boxes they wouldn't lower the price to liquidate them, they would be content to let them sell over the next 5 years until they eventually sell out, so without the sketch cards prices on sets would be much higher.
I disagree.  This hobby is loaded with a lot of overhyperness.  Overhyperness to have something ASAP, overhyperness to dump extra product and so on.

By definition, every box had two sets hence for every collector who bought even one box, there would be an extra set to go around so instead of 1000 collectors all buying one box resulting in 1000 extra sets, we have a few collectors buying 1000 boxes still resulting in 1000 extra sets. 

Few people have the desire to buy/rent extra apartment space to stare at a wall of wacky packs for the next 20 years so it is likely those 1000 extra sets were going to get dumped on ebay no matter which path was followed. 

The real question, how many active collectors out there seek to have at least one set ie how much of the 7000 sets will be absorbed?  Since the answer seems to be far less than 7000, it again supports my claim that it really makes very little difference which path was followed.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »

By definition, every box had two sets hence for every collector who bought even one box, there would be an extra set to go around so instead of 1000 collectors all buying one box resulting in 1000 extra sets, we have a few collectors buying 1000 boxes still resulting in 1000 extra sets. 

Few people have the desire to buy/rent extra apartment space to stare at a wall of wacky packs for the next 20 years so it is likely those 1000 extra sets were going to get dumped on ebay no matter which path was followed. 

You think a person with one extra set is equally likely to put it on ebay as someone with 1000? And how does the one extra
set require extra apartment space, or am I missing your point?

I think the sketch hunting definitely results in a short term spike in supply of sets and suppression of prices. As time goes on,
especially if there are other sets, there might be a combination of enough demand and sufficiently low supply to overcome that.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
You think a person with one extra set is equally likely to put it on ebay as someone with 1000? And how does the one extra
set require extra apartment space, or am I missing your point?

I think the sketch hunting definitely results in a short term spike in supply of sets and suppression of prices. As time goes on,
especially if there are other sets, there might be a combination of enough demand and sufficiently low supply to overcome that.
1000 extra sets in 1000 hands is going to result in waaaaaay more ebay auctions than 1000 sets in one extra hand as the person with 1000 sets isn't going to list all 1000 at once.  If anything, large supply going into fewer hands potentially SLOWS the release of the surplus sets into market.  

With Old School being limited in total number of sets, the multiple with which it can saturate the demand is limited ie if there are 1000 collectors, there is only a 3 to 1 saturation ratio max so this suggests at some point a bottom can be reached that is not $0 like flashback sets and potentially can rise back upward if the hobby were to grow especially if collectors decide to get multple sets, a keeper and a display set.

Let me further add that the above assumes that the quantity produced was more than demand hence you have product saturation no matter what whether it is supply Topps is holding or supply a big box buyer is holding.  This means that demand was able to be met almost immediately with either a Topps direct purchase or ebay purchase.  It makes no difference whether the extra supply is on Topps shelf or Brads closet or greg's extra apartment.

Obviously if supply can't meet demand, then the whole conversation about prices dropping is moot and invalid.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:00:41 PM by bandaches »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2010, 10:14:28 AM »
Marc sent me this one he pulled. Pretty cool!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »
Leslie just sent me pictures of her color and exotic collection.
Start drooling now :o

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

What an awesome collection.  I love those King Kong exotics!

One question.  Does she really keep these things in ultra pro pages?  Or was that just for the pictures?  I would be a little afraid to store them like that.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
What an awesome collection.  I love those King Kong exotics!

One question.  Does she really keep these things in ultra pro pages?  Or was that just for the pictures?  I would be a little afraid to store them like that.

I believe she does keep them like that.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »
Start drooling now :o

That is awesome!!! I'm a bit disappointed that I never turned up a color sketch, but I am glad someone has been able to put together this many colored sketches into a collection. They somehow belong together. Also, what a cool grouping of exotics. Who knew there were that many different nitwits (other than all the different ones you run into on a daily basis in real life. haha)? ^-^
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

anything