Author Topic: Color Zapata ANS 7 Sketch  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Joe G.

Color Zapata ANS 7 Sketch
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
Sorry to be posting ANS 7 information but this sold last week on eBay and I was curious about it.  I believe it's the only ANS 7 Color Zapata sketch.  Also the seller stated the the work was done by both Michael and Jeff Zapata.  My question is about the 10 after the signature on the back.  Does anyone else have an ANS 7 Zapata sketch with a number after the name?  Could this be the number of sketches they did in the series?  Interestingly the seller was from Puerto Rico.  Kinda neat that their pulling wacky sketches all over.  Also this sold for $150 which is the record low for an ANS 7 sketch.

Offline DrDeal

Re: Color Zapata ANS 7 Sketch
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
Maybe the 10 refers to the year it was drawn?

DrDeal

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
Dr Deal, I think you nailed it.  I do wish that ANS sketch card were numbered like the Postcard ones.  It would be nice to know how many are out there.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
The guy had a BIN of $150. It sold within a few min. The guy is obviously a fool!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »
Dr Deal, I think you nailed it.  I do wish that ANS sketch card were numbered like the Postcard ones.  It would be nice to know how many are out there.

It also could be the 10th return card that he did.  There's no way to tell the return cards from the pack pulled ones so maybe he wanted to keep track of how many he did. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »
The guy had a BIN of $150. It sold within a few min. The guy is obviously a fool!

Take a good look at the scans.  There are some ink blotches on the back where the ink bled through.  I still think it's a good deal but the ink blotches would reduce the value.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »
Rob, you purchased an artists return from Jeff Zapata.  Is it signed Zapatas?  Does it have a number?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »
Rob, you purchased an artists return from Jeff Zapata.  Is it signed Zapatas?  Does it have a number?

Funny how I never thought to check it!  I don't even know if I noticed it when I got it, but it does have a "10" with the signature, so it must mean 2010. It is signed Zapata Bros.  I think one brother held the card down and offered words of encouragement, while the other did the sketch.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »
It is signed Zapata Bros.  I think one brother held the card down and offered words of encouragement, while the other did the sketch.

:D

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »
Funny how I never thought to check it!  I don't even know if I noticed it when I got it, but it does have a "10" with the signature, so it must mean 2010. It is signed Zapata Bros.  I think one brother held the card down and offered words of encouragement, while the other did the sketch.

Are we sure its not a Fake with ink blotches coming through and the signature not saying "bros" ...and putting in the "10" - seems fishy  :-\ :-\ :-\ .. maybe why he put it up @ $150 - not a fool afterall...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 03:41:59 PM »
the corners and edges look pretty bad also

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
Are we sure its not a Fake with ink blotches coming through and the signature not saying "bros" ...and putting in the "10" - seems fishy  :-\ :-\ :-\ .. maybe why he put it up @ $150 - not a fool afterall...

Both color Old School sketches I pulled had ink blotches on the backs, and I believe a lot of other people noticed the same thing with their own.  I've also seen '10 on postcard sketches from John Zeleznik, and 2010 on some by Zeleznik, Brent Engstrom, and Matthew Kirscht.  Don't know about the signature missing 'bros', but if I'd seen that card for $150 I'd have snatched it up in a second.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »

I don't think it's a fake at all.  It's clearly Zapatas style, and the signature matches mine exactly.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »
Both color Old School sketches I pulled had ink blotches on the backs, and I believe a lot of other people noticed the same thing with their own.  I've also seen '10 on postcard sketches from John Zeleznik, and 2010 on some by Zeleznik, Brent Engstrom, and Matthew Kirscht.  Don't know about the signature missing 'bros', but if I'd seen that card for $150 I'd have snatched it up in a second.

I bet its a balancing act with how much gloss they put on the front of the sketch cards.  If they put as much as like a typical ANS card it wouldn't work well to sketch on, but not enough and it bleeds through, especially when they use a lot of coverage on colored ones.  I haven't seen it be an issue with b&w's though.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
I bet its a balancing act with how much gloss they put on the front of the sketch cards.  If they put as much as like a typical ANS card it wouldn't work well to sketch on, but not enough and it bleeds through, especially when they use a lot of coverage on colored ones.  I haven't seen it be an issue with b&w's though.

The Old School 2 cards were very glossy and took some getting used to working on. The Wacky 7 cards had a great drawing surface but were a little too thin, hence the bleed. The GPK Flashback 2 stock was a good middle ground: decent surface for marker blending but thicker stock, much less bleed-through.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 06:06:46 PM »
I don't think it's a fake at all.  It's clearly Zapatas style, and the signature matches mine exactly.

I've seen the Zapata Bros. in action at two card shows. I can't speak for how they always work together, but I have seen Mike ink/color Jeff's pencil drawings on a couple of them.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
Possibly the number 10 refers to the total number of blank cards that the Zapatas had to work on.  But most likely it's the year.   I just put up an ANS7 sketch card I did for a three day ebay auction here.  http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-ANS7-color-sketch-card-Jay-Lynch-AJERX-/260759161931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6750c4b