Author Topic: Storing Wackies  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
Storing Wackies
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:02:25 AM »
Hey y'all.  Being a newbie and all, I was just wondering how some of you store your Wackies.  It seems like many of you prefer the album sheet/pocket approach, which seems like the best option for showing off your collection.  However is it the safest?  I ask because I remember when I collected baseball cards years ago there seemed be an issue with the PVC nature of the album sheets.

I have several vintage baseball cards which I prefer to store in penny sleeves which I place inside of top loaders.   I was sort of leaning toward going with this route with my wacky sketch cards, but doesn't seem like a space efficient way to store all wackies.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Storing Wackies
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:22:55 AM »
there seemed be an issue with the PVC nature of the album sheets.

What was the issue with this method?

It is all debatable, the 9 pocket sheets make it easier for viewing, but unfortunately the corner pockets can seem to bend when page turning and the inside corners can get kinked if you are not careful with your binder, especially those binders that are NOT D-Ring type. I think the safest way is the sleeves and toploaders, but this makes it kind of a pain to keep in order and viewing. You can buy 9 page hard plastic type cases, but they are more expensive and bulkier - but will protect your cards a hell of a lot better.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Feetena

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »
What was the issue with this method?

My recollection when I got out of the baseball card hobby in the early/mid 90s was that there was talk that the PVC sleeves sold back then had chemicals and additives that could, over time, be absorbed by the cards and potentially damage them.  I dunno - I figured this was probably more of a marketing ploy by certain companies to buy higher cost storage sleeves that were advertised as having "no PVC". 

At that point, I had sorta checked out of the hobby (as apparently many thousands of others had!) due to the hobby's shift toward mega profit and away from the fun of it.  So I never did really follow up on whether the sleeves actually  showed negative long term effects on cards.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:07:25 AM »
This topic surfaces from time to time. When it does, I always point out that (unlike the comic book hobby) there
are really no "archivally safe" card supplies that are readily available (i.e. made from mylar). I think comics are
a little more fragile in that the newsprint really reacts badly to non-inert materials.

I would personally be more concerned with warping and other damage. I never use 9-pocket sheets because I
have seen first-hand tan back wackies that were stored this way long term that are horribly warped and damaged.
Some will say there are stiffer sheets that don't do this.

I use your method of soft sleeves and top loaders. Every wacky I own fits in one three-column "shoe box"
(available from most card supplies dealers). That is a complete 1-16 (including 2nd and 14th variations and
die cuts). I swear by this method, personally.

Offline Feetena

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »
This topic surfaces from time to time. When it does, I always point out that (unlike the comic book hobby) there are really no "archivally safe" card supplies that are readily available (i.e. made from mylar). I think comics are a little more fragile in that the newsprint really reacts badly to non-inert materials.

I would personally be more concerned with warping and other damage. I never use 9-pocket sheets because I
have seen first-hand tan back wackies that were stored this way long term that are horribly warped and damaged. Some will say there are stiffer sheets that don't do this.

I use your method of soft sleeves and top loaders. Every wacky I own fits in one three-column "shoe box"
(available from most card supplies dealers). That is a complete 1-16 (including 2nd and 14th variations and
die cuts). I swear by this method, personally.

Thanks Paul, that is great info.  Much appreciated.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
Hey y'all.  Being a newbie and all, I was just wondering how some of you store your Wackies.  It seems like many of you prefer the album sheet/pocket approach, which seems like the best option for showing off your collection.  However is it the safest?  I ask because I remember when I collected baseball cards years ago there seemed be an issue with the PVC nature of the album sheets.

I have several vintage baseball cards which I prefer to store in penny sleeves which I place inside of top loaders.   I was sort of leaning toward going with this route with my wacky sketch cards, but doesn't seem like a space efficient way to store all wackies.

I used to keep mine in Ultra Pro 9 Pocket sheets.  Like Paul Maul said, there can be some degree of warping (in my case it seemed to be mostly with the cards in the 7 and 9 slot) especially with the thinner tan backs.  I've also had problems with the stickers leaving an image on the plastic page.  Since I noticed this happening, I moved all of my 1-16 in to mini-snaps.  I also put my Wonder Bread Series as well as my Crazy Labels and Crazy Magazine Covers in them.  It costs more to store that way, but I think I will be more satisfied in the long run.  I have some cards (maybe about 1 or 2 per series) that are just a tad too large to fit into these so I put them in the regular soft sleeves/toploader.  Here is the link for the mini snap tights I use            http://www.pro-mold.com/pc1.htm

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
I used to keep mine in Ultra Pro 9 Pocket sheets.  Like Paul Maul said, there can be some degree of warping (in my case it seemed to be mostly with the cards in the 7 and 9 slot) especially with the thinner tan backs.  I've also had problems with the stickers leaving an image on the plastic page.  Since I noticed this happening, I moved all of my 1-16 in to mini-snaps.  I also put my Wonder Bread Series as well as my Crazy Labels and Crazy Magazine Covers in them.  It costs more to store that way, but I think I will be more satisfied in the long run.  I have some cards (maybe about 1 or 2 per series) that are just a tad too large to fit into these so I put them in the regular soft sleeves/toploader.  Here is the link for the mini snap tights I use            http://www.pro-mold.com/pc1.htm

I believe only the thicker pocket sleeves like Ultra Pro or BCW will cause warping because they don't lay flat enough.  I use Staples sheets and they are very flat, plus I keep my binder books flat instead of upright which keeps everything nice and flat.  I've actually had warped cards going in that ended up being flat after a year stored this way.  The only downside with these sleeves is that they aren't quite as clear as the Ultra Pro style, but to me is a fine trade-off. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
Ultra Pro are my fav
KIM :)

anything