Author Topic: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread  (Read 125948 times)

Offline paulygsparodies

Re: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 10:35:50 AM »
Hey guys,

I really agree, wackys All-New Series 8 is gonna be AWESOME!!

Looking forward to Pack to the Future and Wacky DVDs!

pauly

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »
It's fine for most kids I'm sure. But to the discerning eye it's all wrong. If Dave painted it you'd say "Oh, now I see how bad it was".

I've got a question for Plan9, and for SlamJim - though I invite anyone with a perspective to share - it's one of artistic approach. 

What do you guys think is the best approach to packages like the Franken Berry, where the main graphic element is a mostly-flatly-rendered character?   

Looking at similar cases in Old School 1, it seems that Dave took the approach to bring more dimension to the original mascot illustration. 

With a standard package, where the graphic elements are just a flat logo and text, it works to bring rendered elements on top of it, as the package as a whole is rendered - so they aren't really fighting one another.  In those cases, fully rendered characters are often introduced on top of the package, like on CRUST and CREEP, for instance. 

But where the character is the element, is bringing more dimension to the original mascot the only workable way to go?
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
I've got a question for Plan9, and for SlamJim - though I invite anyone with a perspective to share - it's one of artistic approach.  

What do you guys think is the best approach to packages like the Franken Berry, where the main graphic element is a mostly-flatly-rendered character?  

Looking at similar cases in Old School 1, it seems that Dave took the approach to bring more dimension to the original mascot illustration.  

With a standard package, where the graphic elements are just a flat logo and text, it works to bring rendered elements on top of it, as the package as a whole is rendered - so they aren't really fighting one another.  In those cases, fully rendered characters are often introduced on top of the package, like on CRUST and CREEP, for instance.  

But where the character is the element, is bringing more dimension to the original mascot the only workable way to go?

That is how I always approach them. It's the Cap'N Crud style. If they show a a realistic rendering or photo of the bowl of cereal I add some depth to the 2D mascot. If the cereal was completely a 2D image I'd probably keep the mascot 2D as well but it really depend on a few factors (color, the style of the original image). I think there are around five mascots in OLDS2 and I did them all like I did Franken Brainy which was add just a bit of depth even though one of them was a completely 2D image.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
I understand the jarring effect that can result by combining 2D and 3D. I don't have as much of a problem with Franken Bury as others do, but I get it. It looks like two different worlds colliding. On the current box of Franken Berry, the character is very graphic in nature, almost like pop art. I think adding too much dimension to the character might ruin him. My approach would probably be to flatten the dirt somewhat. That it, if I could paint.

Franken Berry box:
http://www.topcultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/frankenberry-cereal-box-ebay.jpg

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
What are die cut motion tags?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »
I hope there's ANS8 pre-orders in the May 2011 Previews.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »

With a standard package, where the graphic elements are just a flat logo and text, it works to bring rendered elements on top of it, as the package as a whole is rendered - so they aren't really fighting one another.  In those cases, fully rendered characters are often introduced on top of the package, like on CRUST and CREEP, for instance. 

I think Dave's description is the best way. It's the approach Saunders established and should never be changed lest it become a different brand. But for Franken Bury, the artist also got the personality wrong. Franken Berry is a quivering pussy. He would never have an angry expression unless that's the comedic twist. It's not the twist on Franken Bury so it looks wrong. Being buried alive he should be in a wild panic. And the dirt probably should be cereal instead.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
 I would have to agree that sounds more like Franken Berry .

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
I hope there's ANS8 pre-orders in the May 2011 Previews.
if Topps is serious about a late July release, then the pre-order has to be in the May Previews to make that date. We'll see, the May catalog comes out in a month.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
I think Dave's description is the best way. It's the approach Saunders established and should never be changed lest it become a different brand. But for Franken Bury, the artist also got the personality wrong. Franken Berry is a quivering pussy. He would never have an angry expression unless that's the comedic twist. It's not the twist on Franken Bury so it looks wrong. Being buried alive he should be in a wild panic. And the dirt probably should be cereal instead.

I can't say I disagree with you and Dave, yet I do notice that a alteration from the flattened look of a mascot like that moves further away from the original look of the package, than some other mascot-less packages, where a character is simply introduced on-top of it.  Or where mascots were more rendered, as in Swiss Mess. 

Super Cigar Crisp seemed to make an effort to keep the Wacky version of the mascot illustrated flatly, and it is truer to the original package/box - but at the same time, it looks less like the Saunders kind of Wacky we were used to seeing at the time.   

Which isn't to say that one is better or worse, so much as it is that the kinds of packages I love, the kinds with flat, more cartoon-like mascots, don't lend themselves to the Wacky look as much as other types of packaging might.   

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »
The sell sheet has a very preliminary checklist on it:

http://magazine-exchange.com/product_downloads/pdf/WackyPackagesSeries8SellSheet.pdf

Good guess about the blu-ray subset!

Thank you for posting the sell sheet Fred, I absolutely like Hop Pockets.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 08:36:20 PM »

The gag is the product is used to bury spooky monsters, not wimpy monsters, so that's not supposed to be Franken Berry as we know him.

But I can also understand the choice of having a terrified monster. I just didn't want people to think someone was being unnecessarily cruel to a harmless monster!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:44:33 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »
The gag is the product is used to bury spooky monsters, not wimpy monsters, so that's not supposed to be Franken Berry as we know him.

But I can also understand the choice of having a terrified monster. I just didn't want people to think someone was being unnecessarily cruel to a harmless monster!

Look, just accept the mob mentality and realize you stink. Go back to that funny strip of yours!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »
Look, just accept the mob mentality and realize you stink. Go back to that funny strip of yours!
Mob mentality? Really?

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Mob mentality? Really?

Not really, I was just joking with my pal Mark but I forgot to include a smiley.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
I know you always have my back, Mitch!  :D

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
Franken Berry and Froot Loops look weird somehow. Like they were rendered in photoshop. Franken Berry is really unattractive. Wrong expression. Realistic dirt with a flat graffiti style character. Bad mix. Very disappointing for me being a big fan of Franken Berry. The art on Panda and Aqua both look great.

I agree that the realistic looking dirt/cereal has way too much contrast to the character and doesn't look right. Either the character or the dirt should have been changed to the same style as the other. Frite Loops though, I find that awesome!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
I agree that the realistic looking dirt/cereal has way too much contrast to the character and doesn't look right. Either the character or the dirt should have been changed to the same style as the other. Frite Loops though, I find that awesome!
Yeah Frite Lopps does look nice. It just looks a little slick for a Wacky painting like maybe it was done digitally.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »
Has this been posted?:

http://www.toywiz.com/wackypackages8pack.html

Toywiz has ANS 8 packs for presale.  The listing says "Each pack contains 6 Wacky Base Stickers PLUS one (1) Wacky Parallel PLUS one (1) special Insert." 

I wonder how that works?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »
Has this been posted?:

Toywiz has ANS 8 packs for presale.  The listing says "Each pack contains 6 Wacky Base Stickers PLUS one (1) Wacky Parallel PLUS one (1) special Insert." 

I wonder how that works?

Thanks for posting.  Makes me wonder about what the new series will include. 

I looked at the other Wacky items this place sells and their prices are high and random. 

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »
Has this been posted?:

I wonder how that works?

I think their talking about the NEW magnets, Blu-Ray cards, some tag thingy...in addition to the  foil and gold parallels...

Offline dth1971

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
Guess what? I pre-ordered an ANS8 box for around $42 on the Midtown Comics web site!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2011, 10:49:48 PM »
Guess what? I pre-ordered an ANS8 box for around $42 on the Midtown Comics web site!
After all your complaints about the delays of your Old School pre-order?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 01:13:26 AM »

What do you mean? Signed Dr. Deal........

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 04:47:49 AM »

Any word yet on when ANS9 will be hitting previews?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
What do you mean? Signed Dr. Deal........

Not following you here. I did not post anything on this topic.

DrDeal

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered 2 boxes from them.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
Any word yet on when ANS9 will be hitting previews?

It's too early to think about a possible ANS9.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »

It's never too early to start waiting.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »

But not too early to start pre-waiting!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »

Jinx!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2011, 01:27:02 PM »
Not following you here. I did not post anything on this topic.

DrDeal
No, just a joke because of your requests for PC 7 release dates. ;D

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »

Since we posted nearly the same thing at the exact same time and I said "Jinx!", I think that means you can't post until you buy me a Wacky or I say your name.

Because I enjoy your posts so much, Mark (aka Gurgle), please note that you are hereby released from the "jinx".

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
Topps emailed me an update on ANS9. Anyone who doesn't begin their pre-wait by Monday will not be allowed to regular wait.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
Topps emailed me an update on ANS9. Anyone who doesn't begin their pre-wait by Monday will not be allowed to regular wait.
Did they say what time Monday? I'm pretty busy and may have to get someone else to start pre-waiting for me.