Author Topic: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread  (Read 126604 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
How many people might have purchased the whole magazine if they couldn't just read the Wacky article online for free?  People interested in just the Wacky article who purchased the mag itself would then have been exposed to some other card sets, and maybe even have subscribed to NSU.  I don't see how "It's the internet!" makes it good for their business when they're publishing a magazine, and the internet makes it possible for people to read their magazine content without paying them a cent.

You could build a pretty good case for either side of the argument.  I can certainly see a newcomer to the hobby not knowing about NSU, and as a result of seeing my article thinking it's something they should have. If someone on this forum posted EVERY article pertaining to Wackys that would potentially hurt their sales though.  The bottom-line is to buy the magazine because it's good for the hobby.

Does anyone subscribe to The Wrapper?  My subscription just ran out and I can't decide whether to resubscribe.  I can't remember the last time I saw anything in there pertaining to Wackys or any other parody series I collect, or something I wanted to buy from an ad.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
You could build a pretty good case for either side of the argument.  I can certainly see a newcomer to the hobby not knowing about NSU, and as a result of seeing my article thinking it's something they should have. If someone on this forum posted EVERY article pertaining to Wackys that would potentially hurt their sales though.  The bottom-line is to buy the magazine because it's good for the hobby.

Does anyone subscribe to The Wrapper?  My subscription just ran out and I can't decide whether to resubscribe.  I can't remember the last time I saw anything in there pertaining to Wackys or any other parody series I collect, or something I wanted to buy from an ad.

It's kind of a slippery slope. I don't see a problem putting up one article. If you posted the whole mag that would be a different story. I don't have a problem with it but if anyone objects then we can remove it. If the publisher asks us to take it down I will honor their wishes.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
It's kind of a slippery slope. I don't see a problem putting up one article. If you posted the whole mag that would be a different story. I don't have a problem with it but if anyone objects then we can remove it. If the publisher asks us to take it down I will honor their wishes.

That's a good way to handle it.  I'll refrain from doing it in the future.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »

While I appreciate the article being scanned and posted, I think the only responsible thing would be to institute a 30 or 60 day self imposed delay for posting things like this.  That gives NSU a chance to sell some issues to interested Wacky fans.  Clearly no malice was intended but reprinting something like this so quickly isn't a neighborly move. 

I'd imagine NSU is, like many printed mags, on it's last legs anyway. No need to speed them along, inadvertently.

Another option might be to post a clipping of the article, rather than the whole thing.  That could drive people to their comic shop or online to buy NSU.  That could be a much more productive thing. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2011, 03:54:33 AM »

But what about the people who pick up the magazine, read the artical than toss it back on the shelf? Unless every rag goes plastic bagged its going to happen. Oh well...so bees it!

As it happens, NSU does come bagged.  There's the magazine itself, a separate price guide, and an envelope of promo cards inside. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »

Hopefully the posted article will encourage people to pick up the magazine - it's a really good publication, and I agree, supporting it is good for the hobby.  That's actually the only item I still have on reserve at the comic store.  I should ask there about how many copies he usually sells and tell him about the Wacky article - he might want a few extras because of that, since Wackys have been selling like hotcakes there over the last few weeks.  I just brought him another 18 sets over the weekend, seems I have gotten a lot of local kids hooked on Wackys  :)

I subscribe to the Wrapper, and although there haven't been many parody card articles lately, I still enjoy it just for the other non-sports stuff.  I'm really hoping to win the current "giveaway", there's a bunch of Mego Museum cards I'd love to get my hands on.  Anyway, last week I used it to locate a card from 1954 that was the last one a friend needed for his set.  Should be here today, then I'll send it to him as a big surprise.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2011, 05:49:06 AM »
They always need to parody at least 1 Topps product per series. I proposed a different one (also a repeat, though not a three-peat) but they already had Sting Pop lined up.

As far as repeating products, the philosophy starting around series 6 was that any series could be some kid's first, so as long as a gag was good, repeats weren't a big deal. Plus they wanted to focus on products that would be well-known to the target audience.

Ok I see the logic...but it would be nice to institute a rule only to do it twice...it gets kind of silly for us that look forward to new gags on different products...the real basis of Wacky's...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
As far as repeating products, the philosophy starting around series 6 was that any series could be some kid's first, so as long as a gag was good, repeats weren't a big deal. Plus they wanted to focus on products that would be well-known to the target audience.
I say Topps shold just pick 160 different products and be done with it. One set of 80 for all the even numbered series and the other 80 for all the odd numbered series.
that way we won't have to keep playing the "what's on the checklist" guessing game every time.
we'll all know what we're getting each series, and that way we can focus on the important stuff --> the sketch cards

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »
How many people might have purchased the whole magazine if they couldn't just read the Wacky article online for free?  People interested in just the Wacky article who purchased the mag itself would then have been exposed to some other card sets, and maybe even have subscribed to NSU.  I don't see how "It's the internet!" makes it good for their business when they're publishing a magazine, and the internet makes it possible for people to read their magazine content without paying them a cent.

Totally agree with you Goo!  The article makes the magazine a wacky collectible.  It is pretty sad if people who want to read this article can't spend a few bucks to support the magazine that published the article.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
Totally agree with you Goo!  The article makes the magazine a wacky collectible.  It is pretty sad if people who want to read this article can't spend a few bucks to support the magazine that published the article.

Same problem with music. It's the internet, we're just sharing. Blah, blah, blah.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
What's sad is I wouldn't even know where to buy a magazine like this anymore. A bookstore? 7-11?

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
What's sad is I wouldn't even know where to buy a magazine like this anymore. A bookstore? 7-11?

I don't think my local Barnes & Nobel ever has it. I get mine via the internet.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:42:19 PM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2011, 11:55:54 PM »

LOL...This is a good one.  The only place i have ever seen NSU on the newstand is at........BORDERS!  Good luck, they just went belly up.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2011, 02:28:00 AM »
I have never seen NSU sold locally.  The only way our local comic shop would have copy is if someone ordered one specifically to buy.  There are so many publications out there that places just don't have enough shelf space to carry everything.  It is super-competitive.

The other side of the coin is people more and more are getting into reading things electronically.  Does NSU offer their magazine in a digital format for sale on their website?  With tablets becoming more and more popular, that is a direction publishers need to go in order to reach audiences.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2011, 03:48:21 AM »

For me it's a hassle to get that mag not to mention paying shipping...as I have with a couple past issues.
If it came with a bonus card or something tangible I could justify it.
Not to mention the freedom of information act!
Thanks for posting the scans.  :great:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2011, 03:58:39 AM »
For me it's a hassle to get that mag not to mention paying shipping...as I have with a couple past issues.
If it came with a bonus card or something tangible I could justify it.
Not to mention the freedom of information act!
Thanks for posting the scans.  :great:

The magazine almost always includes a sealed envelope of promo cards, some of which are NSU exclusives, and are considered collectible.

As for the Freedom of Information Act, that applies to governmental agencies.  Private publishers are more likely to cite copyright law.

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »
The magazine almost always includes a sealed envelope of promo cards, some of which are NSU exclusives, and are considered collectible.

As for the Freedom of Information Act, that applies to governmental agencies.  Private publishers are more likely to cite copyright law.

Don't buy into that BS,,,all information should be free!
As for any bonus stuff then post up if so and i'll buy it.
I'm sure if it had any thing extra they would have advertised it like in the past to improve sales.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:27:14 AM by CanadianClod »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »
It's amazing how we can go from a spoiler thread to copyright infringement. It's never a dull day!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »
Don't buy into that BS,,,all information should be free!

Well, we will get what we pay for, to be certain.

Sadly, what we will be left with is blogger-journalists who don't know how to spell, reality TV, and a never-ending supply of performers "discovered" on YouTube.  But hey, at least it's free.   

I'd rather pay.   :-)
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Crust

« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

LOL...This is a good one.  The only place i have ever seen NSU on the newstand is at........BORDERS!  Good luck, they just went belly up.

Actually there's a borders by my house stil, they just closed 3 of the 5 in my area. Ill have to check for NSU

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »
Actually there's a borders by my house stil, they just closed 3 of the 5 in my area. Ill have to check for NSU

I'm glad to see Borders go - they really screwed me personally when I was performing there at no charge to them, but promoting my music.
They did me soo wrong that I never went back in there again AND told everyone about it.

Basically, here's the deal - I was playing there at no charge to them, and getting my crowd to show up and entertaining their patrons too. All for the trade off of, I was allowed to sell my C.D.'s during the performance. It is a smaller venue for me, but I am open minded and the people who attended the 1st one there liked it so it was something to build on. :great:

2nd show was scheduled and I wanted to advertise just like the first time, when in with a few small promotional posters I have (just like the 1st time) but forgot to bring tape this time. The person behind the register took the posters and said that they would post it for me. I wanted to have it up the weekend before I was playing, so that folks would see it before the upcoming Friday night show.
 I used to work in the same area at that time and drove by Borders at the end of my late shift to see if they had indeed put up the advertisement for me. They never put it up.  >( When I finally had time to go in there on Sunday night to find out why, they said that they put one up all the way in the back far corner of the store near the bathrooms. When I asked the girl why didn't they post it near the entrance like they said they were going to, she had no answer. I can tell she was disturbed from me asking, even though I just wanted to know why since it is what THEY TOLD ME THEY WOULD DO - BUT DID NOT DO. I wans't mean and did not curse but was firm and obviously upset. So I asked for the posters back and just thought - forget the whole poster advertising thing if they cant get it right.  :^) Was still looking forward to playing there on that Friday.
 A few days later I get a call from the district place (whom I spoke to to get in there to play in the first place and they were always very helpful) I was relived to hear from them and couldn't wait to tell them what had happened. Instead they tell me NOT to play there again and did not want to even listen to what I had to say. IMO they are F'd up and I will never buy anytbing from them again. Glad to see them go! What dumb asses they are.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »
Sorry about the rant, any new info. on the ANS 8 release date ?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
Sorry about the rant, any new info. on the ANS 8 release date ?

Funny you should ask.  I just got off the phone with the manager at my local comic shop.  He told me ANS8 is on their invoice sheet for this week which means it will indeed be arriving next Wednesday.  Now, I didn't ask if things ever show up on the invoice sheet and don't make it to the store, but he sounded confident that they'd be there next week.  With Wackys, I usually hold my breath, but it's looking good.

Bring on the new series!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
I feel compelled to point out that NSU hates it when folks post articles from the magazine. I posted their ANS7 article last year and was called out on it. They are concerned that it hurts sales when their articles are posted for free and I had to agree with the logic, so I removed my post (the damage had been done, alas). So everybody who read the ANS8 article should go out and buy a copy (or two) to support Non-Sport Update! Subscribing is a good idea too.
Fred, could you repost the ANS7 article now that plenty of time has passed as to not hurt any sales?  I missed that one...
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
Funny you should ask.  I just got off the phone with the manager at my local comic shop.  He told me ANS8 is on their invoice sheet for this week which means it will indeed be arriving next Wednesday.  Now, I didn't ask if things ever show up on the invoice sheet and don't make it to the store, but he sounded confident that they'd be there next week.  With Wackys, I usually hold my breath, but it's looking good.

Bring on the new series!

It seems the retail series are usually on-time for the most part.  It seems to be the online exclusive series that have the delays.

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
Sorry guys, it took me a while to respond because my folks just installed some new internet last tuesday.

Anyway, i too can't wait for ans8, speaking of which, Porkie's right.

Who is responisble for painting FrankenBury?

Pauly

Offline Porkie

« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
Sorry guys, it took me a while to respond because my folks just installed some new internet last tuesday.

Anyway, i too can't wait for ans8, speaking of which, Porkie's right.

Who is responisble for painting FrankenBury?

Pauly

Aye! Who painted FrankenBury? Still dying to know!

And speaking of Porkie... what are the odds of my replying to a post about Porkie? Oh wait...

And speaking of odds... do we have any more intel on the odds for special cards in ANS8 (he asks, knowing the answer is most likely "nope!")...

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »
Aye! Who painted FrankenBury? Still dying to know!

And speaking of Porkie... what are the odds of my replying to a post about Porkie? Oh wait...

And speaking of odds... do we have any more intel on the odds for special cards in ANS8 (he asks, knowing the answer is most likely "nope!")...

I did the rough and Jason Edmiston did the painting.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2011, 10:01:19 PM »
I did the rough and Jason Edmiston did the painting.

Love it! Really feels like the Wackys I've known and loved from the vintage years.

Did you post the rough for this one already? If not, could you post it? And if so, could you re-post it?  ;D

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #204 on: July 21, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »
Love it! Really feels like the Wackys I've known and loved from the vintage years.

Did you post the rough for this one already? If not, could you post it? And if so, could you re-post it?  ;D

Sure, here you go. I honestly can't remember if I already posted it or not.

Offline Crust

« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2011, 12:53:30 PM »

Wow... Not 2 hours after i posted this, I found out that Borders is also closing...

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »
Wow... Not 2 hours after i posted this, I found out that Borders is also closing...

Even Jay Leno mentioned it last night  :]
Do you guys have Chapters in the states?
It's a big chain up here with huge stores but I'm shocked they can keep them open in these tuff times.
Our local store {Bookland} is smaller but seems to do well.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:46:49 PM by CanadianClod »

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »
Sure, here you go. I honestly can't remember if I already posted it or not.

Love the "6 feet under' line  :great:

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »

I don't see them listed on the Previews shipping list for next week - which was just updated today for stuff to be delivered next week.

Maybe it's wrong or incomplete, but I don't take it as a good sign. I don't think they'll be in comic shops until August

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
I don't see them listed on the Previews shipping list for next week - which was just updated today for stuff to be delivered next week.

Maybe it's wrong or incomplete, but I don't take it as a good sign. I don't think they'll be in comic shops until August

That's too bad.  I always thought that comic stores didn't know what would arrive on any given Wed until the Monday before.  When the manager contacted me a week ahead of time, I wondered how he could have known so far in advance.  I assume we would know on Monday for sure, but it would certainly be a pleasant surprise if they arrived on time.

anything