Author Topic: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread  (Read 125939 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
I think that having the sketch odds at something like 1:100 packs (i.e., one sketch per every 4 boxes on average) would be a good middle ground for this series.  I'm pretty much down to one box per series now since the Flashback days, but even I would be tempted to buy multiple boxes with those odds.

I don't see it happening. What was the production run on ANS7? Was it around 600k boxes? That would be about 150,000 sketch cards. I would love it and they would move a ton of product but it's just not reasonable to think they would do so many sketches.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »
Any more previews of ANS8 to come before the ANS8 stickers are sent to stores?

The latest issue of Non-Sport Update magazine is slated to have a piece on ANS8. http://www.nonsportupdate.com/currentissue.htm

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
ANS 8 will be a set of 33 sketch cards with the rare base card thrown in. Afterwards, they'll be releasing a whole series of sketch posters to help everyone sort out what is going on. It will also include rare foil backs, and more of the blank insert cards like in ANS 7. Artist signed ABC gum too!

;D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2011, 05:27:01 AM »
The latest issue of Non-Sport Update magazine is slated to have a piece on ANS8. http://www.nonsportupdate.com/currentissue.htm

That's good, any idea when they release that issue?  I couldn't find it on their website?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »
"The wack is back"!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »

thanks for posting!  I subscribe to NSU, so I'm happy to know that will be in the next issue.  As far as I know, it's slated to be relased soon.

I looked at the link for upcoming releases.  Under "to be determined" it says there will be a series of "GPK magnet cards with candy".  I'd love it if Topps did a series of all Wacky magnets!

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2011, 05:15:21 AM »
Under "to be determined" it says there will be a series of "GPK magnet cards with candy".  I'd love it if Topps did a series of all Wacky magnets!

The GPK magnet/candy set will include 12 all-new images. A pretty neat idea, it was originally set for August release but it may have been delayed until next year.
http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Garbage+Pail+Kids+Magnet+_1147325 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
The GPK magnet/candy set will include 12 all-new images. A pretty neat idea, it was originally set for August release but it may have been delayed until next year.
http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Garbage+Pail+Kids+Magnet+_1147325 

I agree that this sounds like a great idea!  I hope Topps will do something like this with Wackys.  Don't know if you can say, but is Topps even considering something like this? 

And, on a related note, has it been confirmed that magnets will be in ANS8?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »

Maybe this has been discussed already, but how about lents?

Will we ever see a new Wacky Package lent again?

They seem quite popular.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2011, 04:09:40 PM »
Maybe this has been discussed already, but how about lents?

Will we ever see a new Wacky Package lent again?

They seem quite popular.

I'd like to see a whole series of them!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
I was at my local comic shop today and asked if they knew when ANS8 would arrive.  I was told it was scheduled to arrive in two weeks, but they never know for sure until they get their inventory sheet in, one week ahead of time.  The manager told me he'd call next week if they are scheduled to arrive the week after (meaning, arriving on July 27).  I'll keep y'all posted if I hear anything.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
I was at my local comic shop today and asked if they knew when ANS8 would arrive.  I was told it was scheduled to arrive in two weeks, but they never know for sure until they get their inventory sheet in, one week ahead of time.  The manager told me he'd call next week if they are scheduled to arrive the week after (meaning, arriving on July 27).  I'll keep y'all posted if I hear anything.

As I now I heard the 27th...BUT...they could still be cancelled... :P :P :P :P

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2011, 08:17:03 AM »

Well I just got the new Non-Sport Update magazine in my mailbox, and there is a very nice 2-page article on Wackys and the new ANS8.  They mention some of the artists for the series and a little better detail on the subsets, but those looking for pack odds will be disappointed like me.  I guess we'll have to wait until we get them in-hand for that.

Here is the ad that is also in this issue.............

Offline dth1971

« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:01 AM »
Well I just got the new Non-Sport Update magazine in my mailbox, and there is a very nice 2-page article on Wackys and the new ANS8.  They mention some of the artists for the series and a little better detail on the subsets, but those looking for pack odds will be disappointed like me.  I guess we'll have to wait until we get them in-hand for that.

Here is the ad that is also in this issue.............

The ad even shows an image of another ANS8 for its first time: Sting Pop (Which is the 3rd. ANS Wacky entry to spoof Topps' Ring Pop, the other 2 were Bling Pup in ANS1 and Thing Pop in ANS6).

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
The ad even shows an image of another ANS8 for its first time: Sting Pop (Which is the 3rd. ANS Wacky entry to spoof Topps' Ring Pop, the other 2 were Bling Pup in ANS1 and Thing Pop in ANS6).

Yea..what's up with that..can't they crack on other products - even the three they did for that one are weak-ies...
it's gettin' lame...Did they ever do one for Lea&Perrin's, Taylor pork roll, Sargento Cheese, to name a few... :]

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »

Here is the NSU article for anyone who doesn't get the magazine...............

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »

I'm glad Jeff mentioned the Luggage Tags. I think everyone will really like these! Originally, we were talking about doing lenticulars, but the tags turned out even better, IMO

Offline Swiski

« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »
So Jeff Zapata is leaving Topps? Where is he going?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »

I think it's past tense.  He's been gone for several weeks. From what I heard his didn't go anywhere new yet.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
ANS 8 will be a set of 33 sketch cards with the rare base card thrown in. Afterwards, they'll be releasing a whole series of sketch posters to help everyone sort out what is going on. It will also include rare foil backs, and more of the blank insert cards like in ANS 7. Artist signed ABC gum too!

;D

I can't be the only one who really likes this idea?  :^)

Have to say the sample ANS8 stickers in the flyers are looking awesome. I'll likely get a box or two for the base stickers alone.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2011, 05:19:39 AM »

I wouldn't worry. He'll be around. Wackys are in his blood.

Offline Crust

« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2011, 08:16:31 AM »
So the flyer/ad said cominging july but the articles aid august...which is it does anyone know for sure?

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
So the flyer/ad said cominging july but the articles aid august...which is it does anyone know for sure?

The series tend to ship to stores late in the release month (a la the July 25th or 27th date that sites are reporting for ANS8) so they are most widely available in the following month.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »
Yea..what's up with that..can't they crack on other products - even the three they did for that one are weak-ies...
it's gettin' lame...Did they ever do one for Lea&Perrin's, Taylor pork roll, Sargento Cheese, to name a few... :]

They always need to parody at least 1 Topps product per series. I proposed a different one (also a repeat, though not a three-peat) but they already had Sting Pop lined up.

As far as repeating products, the philosophy starting around series 6 was that any series could be some kid's first, so as long as a gag was good, repeats weren't a big deal. Plus they wanted to focus on products that would be well-known to the target audience.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »

I feel compelled to point out that NSU hates it when folks post articles from the magazine. I posted their ANS7 article last year and was called out on it. They are concerned that it hurts sales when their articles are posted for free and I had to agree with the logic, so I removed my post (the damage had been done, alas). So everybody who read the ANS8 article should go out and buy a copy (or two) to support Non-Sport Update! Subscribing is a good idea too.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »
I feel compelled to point out that NSU hates it when folks post articles from the magazine. I posted their ANS7 article last year and was called out on it. They are concerned that it hurts sales when their articles are posted for free and I had to agree with the logic, so I removed my post (the damage had been done, alas). So everybody who read the ANS8 article should go out and buy a copy (or two) to support Non-Sport Update! Subscribing is a good idea too.

I understand but one article isn't a whole body of work that you get in a whole magazine. People post articles all the time. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I think any type of advertising is always good for business. It's the Internet!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »
I love those sketches posted but I know my odds of pulling one and it's not good just like ANS7. I spent way too much on ANS7 and that won't happen again. At least with OLDS2 I'm guaranteed a sketch per box. If the odds were that good with ANS8 I would probably go crazy. My head might explode ;)

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
I understand but one article isn't a whole body of work that you get in a whole magazine. People post articles all the time. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I think any type of advertising is always good for business. It's the Internet!

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the posting of the article created more sales of NSU than it took away.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
I love those sketches posted but I know my odds of pulling one and it's not good just like ANS7.

I drew the sketches that accompany the article. I was surprised to see 'em. It may not be like gettin' my pitcher on the cover of the Rollin' Stone, but it's pretty cool. BTW I'm in the dark about ANS8 sketch odds too.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
I got my pitcher on the cover of Rolling Stone once. I hit it with my elbow while reaching for the remote.

... BA DUMP PUMP ...

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
I drew the sketches that accompany the article. I was surprised to see 'em. It may not be like gettin' my pitcher on the cover of the Rollin' Stone, but it's pretty cool. BTW I'm in the dark about ANS8 sketch odds too.

Funny... I was quoted in Rolling Stone once, and to this day I still consider it a highlight from my career in publishing.  Messed-up priorities?  Perhaps....
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »

How many people might have purchased the whole magazine if they couldn't just read the Wacky article online for free?  People interested in just the Wacky article who purchased the mag itself would then have been exposed to some other card sets, and maybe even have subscribed to NSU.  I don't see how "It's the internet!" makes it good for their business when they're publishing a magazine, and the internet makes it possible for people to read their magazine content without paying them a cent.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
How many people might have purchased the whole magazine if they couldn't just read the Wacky article online for free?  People interested in just the Wacky article who purchased the mag itself would then have been exposed to some other card sets, and maybe even have subscribed to NSU.  I don't see how "It's the internet!" makes it good for their business when they're publishing a magazine, and the internet makes it possible for people to read their magazine content without paying them a cent.

I might be an example of why. Being a relative newcomer to serious non-sports card collecting (I owned Wacky's since the original 1st series but only collected as a kid who liked them, not as a serious collector), I had never heard of NSU magazine.

For me, I would never have even known they existed until I read this article and thus now I am: (a) exposed to their magazine; (b) exposed to the content of their magazine via the article. This would make me more likely to search it out and buy it in the future (theoretically).

In reality, I would be unlikely to but their magazine to read one article and would be just as likely to look for a copy in the library, which is also free for me.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »
Do we know who painted the Franken Bury sticker? I love it. Very much an old school Wacky "look" to me and I am hoping to see more like it. Uncluttered, concise, clear, great gag, etc.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »

But what about the people who pick up the magazine, read the artical than toss it back on the shelf? Unless every rag goes plastic bagged its going to happen. Oh well...so bees it!

anything