Author Topic: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread  (Read 126539 times)

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »
Hard to believe that we need this already, but Topps has posted some preview images (including the pack design) on their Wacky Packages Fan Page on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/WackyPackages?ref=ts

Offline Plan 9

Re: Wacky Packages Series 8 SPOILER thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »
Franken Berry and Froot Loops look weird somehow. Like they were rendered in photoshop. Franken Berry is really unattractive. Wrong expression. Realistic dirt with a flat graffiti style character. Bad mix. Very disappointing for me being a big fan of Franken Berry. The art on Panda and Aqua both look great.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
nice find.

totally agree with the poor mix of photo-real dirt with Franken as 2-D cartoon art. Looks like something that belongs on Fark.com

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
Hard to believe that we need this already, but Topps has posted some preview images (including the pack design) on their Wacky Packages Fan Page on Facebook.

I agree with P9, The art on FB isn't that good, But I absolutely like Aqua Finda & Konfused Panda.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Kon-fused Panda might be part of a Wacky Packages ANS8 subset called Wacky Blu-Ray Disc movies (in the style of the ANS7 Wackomercial subset with random packed pink and gold and silver backgrounds).

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »

I absolutely like Aqua Finda & Konfused Panda.

Thanks, those two are mine (Fred did the roughs).

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
I did the roughs for the two that have been heaped on with hatred and bile.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:51:23 PM »
I did the roughs for the two that have been heaped on with hatred and bile.
I really like the gags. It's only the artistic execution that's under scrutiny. 

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:13 AM »
Its exciting knowing there is going to be a series 8.  I think the bottle looks great on Aquafinda and I am a big fan of the Sagaro Cactus.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 03:03:41 AM »
Bring on series 8.....but please provide rational odds on the Golds / Sketches if you do them.
If I buy a whole case of cards there better be at least one super hard card in there  :)
DrDeal

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »
Franken Berry and Froot Loops look weird somehow. Like they were rendered in photoshop. Franken Berry is really unattractive. Wrong expression. Realistic dirt with a flat graffiti style character. Bad mix. Very disappointing for me being a big fan of Franken Berry. The art on Panda and Aqua both look great.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen an attempt at a flatter dirt to match the original illustration style of the Franken Berry box.  I feel as though flat illustration style boxes like this, with iconic mascots, present more unique problems for how to approach them as Wackys, which tend to be more fully rendered affairs.  

I think Dave expressed some difficulty when he first approached his Old School Franken Berry sticker, though he can confirm that, as I'm not entirely certain of my memory on this.  

I like the Froot Loops parody though. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »

That Kunfused Panda is beautiful.  Did that one take you an unusual amount of time?  It looks like a tough one.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 09:20:41 AM »
Bring on series 8.....but please provide rational odds on the Golds / Sketches if you do them.
If I buy a whole case of cards there better be at least one super hard card in there  :)
DrDeal

The odds are probably already decided at this point, but I totally agree and hope that they received some feedback from series 7 to that regard.  Fingers crossed!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 11:18:53 AM »
Yeah, I would have liked to have seen an attempt at a flatter dirt to match the original illustration style of the Franken Berry box.  I feel as though flat illustration style boxes like this, with iconic mascots, present more unique problems for how to approach them as Wackys, which tend to be more fully rendered affairs.  

I think Dave expressed some difficulty when he first approached his Old School Franken Berry sticker, though he can confirm that, as I'm not entirely certain of my memory on this.  

I like the Froot Loops parody though. 

I agree with you JL, Frite Loops is cool.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »

You are welcome Dave, Good job.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »

Can someone post pictures...I'm not allowed on Spacebook @ work...thx hoss..

Offline Crust

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
Looks great! Although, FB does not look right. I really like Frite Loops! Maybye Kon Fused Panda was made because the sequel is also coming out this summer?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Since ANS7 had a take on the BP oil spill (Beyond Pollution credit card), will ANS8 tackle on something in the news (How about a parody related to a Charlie Brown product - Like the Charlie Brown Christmas DVD/blu-ray or one of the Complete Peanuts books Fantagraphics makes - but dealing with the controversial nowadays Charlie Sheen?)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:38:36 PM by dth1971 »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
Also, will there be a prelimany checklist of the 55 base set entries, the 20 subset entries (more Wackomercials or my guess of Wacky Blu-Ray disc movies) and 10 classic folis and about 4 bonus stickers within a month or two?

Here's my guesses if there's 10 classic foil stickers for ANS8:
Fearstone Tires
Gurgle Baby Food
Snatch-a-Pack
Super Cigar Crisp
Ivery Snow (poster version)
Diet Frite Cola
Mud Magazine
Duck and Hide
Gadooka Sugarmess Bubble Gum
Barfield

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 06:21:27 PM »
Also, will there be a prelimany checklist of the 55 base set entries, the 20 subset entries (more Wackomercials or my guess of Wacky Blu-Ray disc movies) and 10 classic folis and about 4 bonus stickers within a month or two?

Here's my guesses if there's 10 classic foil stickers for ANS8:
Fearstone Tires
Gurgle Baby Food
Snatch-a-Pack
Super Cigar Crisp
Ivery Snow (poster version)
Diet Frite Cola
Mud Magazine
Duck and Hide
Gadooka Sugarmess Bubble Gum
Barfield

The sell sheet has a very preliminary checklist on it:

http://magazine-exchange.com/product_downloads/pdf/WackyPackagesSeries8SellSheet.pdf

Good guess about the blu-ray subset!

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »

http://magazine-exchange.com/product_downloads/pdf/WackyPackagesSeries8SellSheet.pdf

hmm. I'm definitely interested in those 'future' wackys!!  :o
Sci-Fi and futurism are pretty rare in wacky-land, so they are always a big treat for me.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »

Thanks for posting!  Where did you find this sell sheet?  Lots to comment on, but the thing that stands out the most to me is the return of magnets!  They remain my favorite insert (well, not counting sketch cards) and I do hope they end up returning, esp if they are of original series titles.

Offline 1980Phils

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »
Since ANS7 had a take on the BP oil spill (Beyond Pollution credit card), will ANS8 tackle on something in the news (How about a parody related to a Charlie Brown product - Like the Charlie Brown Christmas DVD/blu-ray or one of the Complete Peanuts books Fantagraphics makes - but dealing with the controversial nowadays Charlie Sheen?)
My understanding was that the BP sticker was made long before the oil spill, that it was just an interesting coincidence.  Although if I'm wrong, can someone correct me on that?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »
No classic Wackys in ANS8 unless they are in the magnet cards and/or motion tags?

And why Wacky Packages of the Future? There should be a Wacky DVD spoofing Back to the Future called Pack to the Future in the DVD subset.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
That Kunfused Panda is beautiful.  Did that one take you an unusual amount of time?  It looks like a tough one.

Thanks, yeah, the DVDs take longer. That, and I've started painting all these at a much larger size than any I've done in the past.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
hmm. I'm definitely interested in those 'future' wackys!!  :o
Sci-Fi and futurism are pretty rare in wacky-land, so they are always a big treat for me.

The Wackys in the future subset are just like regular Wackys but they are all themed to have subject matter that pertains to real (or fun to speculate on) future technology or events and how they could apply to a particular product. These are cool because the themes feel a little bit old school, are a bit cerebral and most have a nice hint of menace to them. Aqua Finda which has been shown is from this set. I am painting the 20 Future and DVD stickers. I did not do any base set stickers this time for the first time since series 1! Feelin' old.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:49:24 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
My understanding was that the BP sticker was made long before the oil spill, that it was just an interesting coincidence.  Although if I'm wrong, can someone correct me on that?

No, I did the BP sticker after the spill.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Thanks for posting!  Where did you find this sell sheet?

I found the PDF file at http://magazine-exchange.com/product-information-sheets. I should have given props to that site. I don't believe that Topps actually prints sell sheets anymore, at least not for their humor sets. They seem to just send them out digitally.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
I found the PDF file at http://magazine-exchange.com/product-information-sheets. I should have given props to that site. I don't believe that Topps actually prints sell sheets anymore, at least not for their humor sets. They seem to just send them out digitally.

Cool. Thanks Fred! 
[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/Ephemera/ANS8/WPANS8-1/1228749774_omint-O.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/Ephemera/ANS8/WPANS8-2/1228749719_7hbZU-O.jpg[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Playskull

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:33 AM »
DrDeal
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the odds are even worse with ANS8.  Haven't the odds gotten worse with each ANS release?  And every time there seems to be a big uproar about it, yet Topps keeps sticking it to the collectors. 

I'm calling it now:  Sketch cards will be 1:5000 packs.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 06:32:20 AM »
The Wackys in the future subset are just like regular Wackys but they are all themed to have subject matter that pertains to real (or fun to speculate on) future technology or events and how they could apply to a particular product. These are cool because the themes feel a little bit old school, are a bit cerebral and most have a nice hint of menace to them. Aqua Finda which has been shown is from this set. I am painting the 20 Future and DVD stickers. I did not do any base set stickers this time for the first time since series 1! Feelin' old.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't do any of the base stickers as I really enjoy your work.  I'm glad you got 20 of the subset stickers done, though.  Are those stickers going to be released in the same amount as the base stickers?

In another post you said you're painting these on a bigger size.  Why the change?

Thanks, Dave, as always for the insight and info!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 07:59:25 AM »
FrankenBury looks cool!  The graphic on the current box is 2D to begin with, so it's a great rendering!

Great times in Wacky-Land!  Erasers are here, Old School 2 and ANS8 coming soon....nice!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »
FrankenBury looks cool!  The graphic on the current box is 2D to begin with, so it's a great rendering!

Great times in Wacky-Land!  Erasers are here, Old School 2 and ANS8 coming soon....nice!

And you forgot the series 7 Postcards which shouldn't be too much longer!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 09:05:32 AM »

It's fine for most kids I'm sure. But to the discerning eye it's all wrong. If Dave painted it you'd say "Oh, now I see how bad it was".

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
I really like the gags. It's only the artistic execution that's under scrutiny. 

Thanks. I'm just trying to be dramatic!