Author Topic: Wacky Packages SALESMAN sample from Old Series 1970's  (Read 4650 times)

Offline hurricanes

Wacky Packages SALESMAN sample from Old Series 1970's
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
This is an "Original Salesman's Sample page with stickers and wrapper affixed to the page". At least that is how it was
described by Dan McKee who I bought it from. Dan is a reputable seller of Sports Cards/Memob.

He listed it as 9th series sample page. Checklist and 2 stickers are consistent with this. But, I dont think the wrapper is. I cant
tell the code because wrapper is stuck to page. Only other distinctive aspect is the number in the right upper corner. It is
478-4.

I have never seen one of these. I figure someone here on the forum may have seen one or owns one.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages SALESMAN sample from Old Series 1970's
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
This is an "Original Salesman's Sample page with stickers and wrapper affixed to the page". At least that is how it was
described by Dan McKee who I bought it from. Dan is a reputable seller of Sports Cards/Memob.

He listed it as 9th series sample page. Checklist and 2 stickers are consistent with this. But, I dont think the wrapper is. I cant
tell the code because wrapper is stuck to page. Only other distinctive aspect is the number in the right upper corner. It is
478-4.

I have never seen one of these. I figure someone here on the forum may have seen one or owns one.
toppsvault has sold of few of these pages over the years, usually with the cards stapled to the page. they had a nice one of a die cut pack with all the cards that I remember.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
Doesn't it seem odd that the checklist has wax stains and a bent bottom left corner?

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
Good point Brad. Hadn't even noticed that.

If this is a real sample for a Sales person, brings up question, how they came up with it. Why would there be stains?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »
Doesn't it seem odd that the checklist has wax stains and a bent bottom left corner?
my impression of what toppsvault was selling was that they were real packs opened up and stuck into a file folder. didn't really surprise me
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:21:51 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:55:22 AM »
I never saw this one, but it must be the source of the unsubstantiated rumor that 9th series yellow packs existed. The yellow wrapper included on this sheet was really produced for the 11th series. That doesn't rule out the possibility that it could have been used for the 9th, but Topps error seems a more likely explanation.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »
Just ran across this old thread. Examining the sample more carefully, it contains 9th series stickers and checklist, but it contains the 11th series wrapper, and also has the 11th series product code "478" at the top. I'm now thinking this was really a sample made up for the 11th series, and 9th series stuff pulled from packs was used because the 11ths hadn't yet been printed. 10ths probably hadn't been printed yet either.

Come to think of it, the yellow wrapper pictured may not even be an 11th series wrapper. It could be the yellow wrapper was planned, and an old yellow wrapper from the earlier run was used for that reason.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:18:09 AM by Paul_Maul »

anything