Author Topic: LTL Prints  (Read 55519 times)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
Re: LTL Prints
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
Here is a scan of Dull at 2400 res. I scanned it with Vuescan at 4800 res but for some reason it's only showing up at 2400. This is really interesting to view at this res.
This scan is 50mb and once it's downloaded on your screen you should save it to your computer. Open your photo software and tell it to show actual pixels. It will show you everything! Every imperfection and small dust particles. Even shows you the grain of the white border and take a look at the corner and edges.
This is a pretty poor card. It is a restick but I wanted to see how this looked in high res. I don't know why I haven't scanned cards before at this high res. It's like putting it under a microscope.
http://www.wacky-base.com/coolstuff/DullLargeScan.jpg

Your image has the same problem mine did. Check out the zoom I attached. The red and blue are off-set, causing problems when expanded. I actually tried splitting the color channels and fixing them, but it still didn't look acceptable. I couldn't shift the color separations in small enough increments to look good.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
There's always the option of scanning from the coffee table book. That should come out somewhat better but the book may have to be ruined.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »
Scanning a sharp sticker with a good scanner at high enough res will produce a great enlarged image. Your comparison of VHS on an HDTV isn't what we're doing here. LTL takes the scan and puts it through their software, which I am guessing does some sort of interpolation to blow up the image with minimal pixelation. Your comparison would have merit if we took the VHS output and ran it through a processor to enhance the image before it got to HDTV. I've actually done that before, and it looked better than VHS...

It is true though that a printed sticker even if it's in good register is not as good as a scan from the art.  There are exposures and color breaks inherent with the print process that degrade the image somewhat.  This is especially true with the 70's titles because the print quality wasn't as good as it is today.  I'm sure a new sticker would reproduce pretty well at hi-res though because print technology has improved so much over the years. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2010, 12:33:45 AM »
Quote from: Duznt link=topic=106.msg7901#msg7901 date=
Your image has the same problem mine did. Check out the zoom I attached. The red and blue are off-set, causing problems when expanded. I actually tried splitting the color channels and fixing them, but it still didn't look acceptable. I couldn't shift the color separations in small enough increments to look good.

I know the guys are right. You can't scan a card. You need the original art.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2010, 07:14:48 AM »
I know the guys are right. You can't scan a card. You need the original art.

Of course original art would be best. But since that's not available, move to plan b.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »
Of course original art would be best. But since that's not available, move to plan b.
Really, I'd like to know why Topps isn't supplying new scans to LTL.  There are a lot of OS titles I think we'd all order like crazy if Topps would just supply LTL with high quality images.  Run Tony anyone?  How about the good Cap'd Crud they used for the custom cards?  And, even with recent releases, we don't have ANS1 titles available - I'd definitely buy Frosted Snakes in a 2' size!!  Bonus stickers like Easy Burn would be great.  And how about postcard art?  Where is Wander Bread?  Taco Bill?  How about Hoppy Meal?  But I don't want to be paying $15 for what looks like a fuzzy blown up sticker because that's all that was available.

I was under the impression that Topps would be making some money off LTL sales of Topps produced Wackys.  Perhaps I was mistaken.  Meanwhile, it seems to me that there is a market for more titles here, and Topps has dropped the ball.

Can artists who have scans of their recent Wacky art supply those to LTL?  Maybe that is why Dead & Buried is available, and in great detail.  That could be a great help, but really, it seems to me that Topps should be doing that.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »
Really, I'd like to know why Topps isn't supplying new scans to LTL.  There are a lot of OS titles I think we'd all order like crazy if Topps would just supply LTL with high quality images.  Run Tony anyone?  How about the good Cap'd Crud they used for the custom cards?  And, even with recent releases, we don't have ANS1 titles available - I'd definitely buy Frosted Snakes in a 2' size!!  Bonus stickers like Easy Burn would be great.  And how about postcard art?  Where is Wander Bread?  Taco Bill?  How about Hoppy Meal?  But I don't want to be paying $15 for what looks like a fuzzy blown up sticker because that's all that was available.

I was under the impression that Topps would be making some money off LTL sales of Topps produced Wackys.  Perhaps I was mistaken.  Meanwhile, it seems to me that there is a market for more titles here, and Topps has dropped the ball.

Can artists who have scans of their recent Wacky art supply those to LTL?  Maybe that is why Dead & Buried is available, and in great detail.  That could be a great help, but really, it seems to me that Topps should be doing that.

They don't have the original art for all their titles. Look at their last batch of original series stuff. This is what they got from Topps and there are a lot of imperfections. I bought about 30 titles from that lot and most have issues such as dirt marks, tape marks, & chipped lettering. 

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
Did you supply LTL with the Dead & Buried scan?  That one is SHARP!
I sent them a scan of the art. I know computers can interpolate print dots and smooth them out but all of the brush strokes would be eliminated and replaced with a computer's bland idea of what should be there. When it comes to blow ups for me, it's an art scan or nothing.

For some crazy reason Topps doesn't want the postcard art available through LTL. I sent mine in before I got word of that so I don't know how long that scan will be available. If you like it I recommend getting one soon.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »
For some crazy reason Topps doesn't want the postcard art available through LTL.
I haven't been following the LTL inventory.
Is this the only restriction Topps has placed on LTL, or are there other titles they have put the kebash on?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
I haven't been following the LTL inventory.
Is this the only restriction Topps has placed on LTL, or are there other titles they have put the kebash on?
There are many titles from ANS that are banned and will never be printed again so those won't be allowed in LTL's catalog. Dave might know which ones. Topps rattled off a whole list to me but so fast I don't recall any of them.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »
LTL sent me a replacement for the first IOU decal I bought. The first one was faded. This new one is perfect. The color is bright and saturated and the border is solid black. So if anyone considers this one I can assure you it's going to be a very nice print. Gradually we're going to improve some of the other faded images. It would help if anyone can post titles of decals they got that seem pale or faded.

IOU is the kind of Wacky Topps won't do anymore. Dave can argue it all he wants but Topps will never do a Wacky gag with a busty attractive character like this again. And boob shaped chicken doesn't count!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 07:41:33 PM »
LTL sent me a replacement for the first IOU decal I bought. The first one was faded. This new one is perfect. The color is bright and saturated and the border is solid black. So if anyone considers this one I can assure you it's going to be a very nice print. Gradually we're going to improve some of the other faded images. It would help if anyone can post titles of decals they got that seem pale or faded.

IOU is the kind of Wacky Topps won't do anymore. Dave can argue it all he wants but Topps will never do a Wacky gag with a busty attractive character like this again. And boob shaped chicken doesn't count!
What did you do w/the faded one? If you still have it and it's not faded all that bad I would consider buying it if the price were right...I love the LTL Wackys I've got about 15 of them. LMK
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
Dave can argue it all he wants but Topps will never do a Wacky gag with a busty attractive character like this again.

I think a busty hot chick is not going to be a problem depending on the context. Lubridirt in ANS6 could have been a busty chick but the artist chose not to I guess. If I had known people wanted that I would have made the Secrete girl more busty. I do have a chick in a hot bikini in one of my ANS2010 pieces though I didn't overdue her boobs. Now I have a mission for the future: get a hot big boobied gal on a Wacky.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »
I think a busty hot chick is not going to be a problem depending on the context. Lubridirt in ANS6 could have been a busty chick but the artist chose not to I guess. If I had known people wanted that I would have made the Secrete girl more busty. I do have a chick in a hot bikini in one of my ANS2010 pieces though I didn't overdue her boobs. Now I have a mission for the future: get a hot big boobied gal on a Wacky.

OLDS2 anyone? :D

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »
Yeah I forgot about Lubridirt until after I posted. That's the kind of character I thought Topps wasn't doing anymore. Maybe I just need to beg the artists to think a little more about girls instead of dead dogs and idiots. You wouldn't think that would be necessary to request of most male artists.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »
Yeah I forgot about Lubridirt until after I posted. That's the kind of character I thought Topps wasn't doing anymore. Maybe I just need to beg the artists to think a little more about girls instead of dead dogs and idiots. You wouldn't think that would be necessary to request of most male artists.

Don't kill the idiots though!!  They are my favorite characters from the OS series. 

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2010, 08:05:32 AM »
Don't kill the idiots though!!  They are my favorite characters from the OS series.  
I like the idiots too - Dums still makes me smile!!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
The traditional Wacky theme of idiots, nitwits & beatnicks are what make Wackys Wacky. Why the sudden obsession with putting busty women on them?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
The traditional Wacky theme of idiots, nitwits & beatnicks are what make Wackys Wacky. Why the sudden obsession with putting busty women on them?

I agree - here or there if the gag warrants its ... like IOU..and lubridirt but to force it doesn't make sense...perdude is kinda stupid...that said I don't think it s/b totally off limits... :o

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »

I agree, to me the essence of Wackys are characters like the Ajerx dude.   

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2010, 01:06:58 PM »

Boy, when the boat sways it really sways. I never said leave out the dimwits and dead dogs. Why does something have to be perceived as an obsession just because it's brought up? We talk about cigarette and booze gags more than girly gags but nobody's calling those subjects obsessions. I know it's best to go with characters that fit the gag but if you're not even spoofing products with sex appeal then it's hard to arrive at a character like Umbrella or IOU. Some of these Wacky series are supposed to be geared for adults like the postcards and Old School. Shouldn't you then write gags that actually appeal to adults? I'm not a child. It's not like my sense of humor was stunted at age 10. The postcards and Old School look like they're for children. That makes little sense to me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:08:47 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
Some of these Wacky series are supposed to be geared for adults like the postcards and Old School. Shouldn't you then write gags that actually appeal to adults? I'm not a child. It's not like my sense of humor was stunted at age 10. The postcards and Old School look like they're for children. That makes little sense to me.
I suspect that any product that Topps puts out called "Wacky Packages" is going to be geared for 10 year olds like they always have been. If it isn't geared for 10 year olds, then it becomes a different animal. "Wacky Packages After Dark" maybe. The postcards and Old School are meant to be bought by adult collectors but I don't think that the sensibility changes radically. I see relaxing the standards for gags in those sets to include alcohol and cigarette parodies as a recognition that Wackys in the past included those subjects, as adult collectors will remember.

Having said that, IOU set the precedent for busty gals back in the '70s... so let's bring 'em back! (I only painted nerds, fat guys, and old ladies for the 2010 series, alas...)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »
What did you do w/the faded one? If you still have it and it's not faded all that bad I would consider buying it if the price were right...I love the LTL Wackys I've got about 15 of them. LMK
Sure, I'll sell it. It's the one on the left. The regular price for this 2 foot size is $31 shipped. I'll do this one for $24 shipped. You even get a small Wacky Pack logo sticker with it.

Offline blunderbrent

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
I know it's best to go with characters that fit the gag but if you're not even spoofing products with sex appeal then it's hard to arrive at a character like Umbrella or IOU. Some of these Wacky series are supposed to be geared for adults like the postcards and Old School. Shouldn't you then write gags that actually appeal to adults? I'm not a child. It's not like my sense of humor was stunted at age 10. The postcards and Old School look like they're for children. That makes little sense to me.
R Crumb in particular had a keen interest in exploring the possibilities of rendering the female form in cartoons back in the day when he and Lynch were the vangaurd of the underground comix scene. Norm's pulp magazine covers also illustrated his eye for buxom women, which managed to slip into a couple Wackys. I do think there is a place for some big boobed female Wacky characters, but it is a fine line. For one, these were marketed to 10 yr olds, and we love them not because we still have the sense of humor of a 10 yr old, but we remember ourselves at that age and it provides a way back machine to that ideal joyful fascination and perspective.

There is a difference between childish and child-like, with the latter having the connotation of idealism and innocence, which is always welcome when things get darker and more cynical later in life. Not full tilt regression, which may require psychiatirc assistance;) But I do think it is advantageous to retain those elements which made Wackys what they were and Old School does manage to do this. Since the ANS and Flashback had only moderate success, it is fair to say the Wacky market is dominated by 40 somethings. To change the formula very much from the original intent, which combined both an adult irreverence and appeal to adolscent humor, would break the mold. That being said, bring on the big boobed Wackies.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
I'm reading one post after another that expounds on how Wacky Packs are supposed to be for kids, but end with "bring on the girls and boobies". So how is anyone saying anything differently that I am?

The national Wacky Pack releases can only be profitable if kids are buying them so kids are the main audience. And kids find boobies pretty funny ya know.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2010, 12:08:49 AM »

I just remembered I have two of these. So I can sell them for $20 each shipped.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2010, 04:06:37 AM »
Just picking this thread up since yesterday, sounded like you were talking about boobies....... 

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »
Just picking this thread up since yesterday, sounded like you were talking about boobies....... 

Flat-rate shipping?

Online BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2010, 09:31:52 AM »
Flat-rate shipping?

I prefer "bulk" rate over "flat" rate!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2010, 01:48:10 AM »
What's up Mr. Zombie? I'm offering it to you for $20. You said you'd buy it if the price was right. It doesn't get righter than $20 shipped.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
What's up Mr. Zombie? I'm offering it to you for $20. You said you'd buy it if the price was right. It doesn't get righter than $20 shipped.
I am sorry about that Mark, I've been extremly ill the last couple of weeks. P.M. me and I will pay-pal you your money. All my WACKY best...RonZ 8)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
I'm sure there are many legg and butt forum members who would debate that request!
 :D

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »
I'm sure there are many legg and butt forum members who would debate that request!
 :D
Fortunately all these preferences can come together to form a nice complete package!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2010, 12:18:59 AM »
I think these LTL prints look better stuck randomly and crooked just like regular Wacky stickers. It looks kinda bad to stick them as if one is hanging framed photos.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
FYI
When ordering prints use the link above and it will take you to the WP page and help out the forum a bit.
Thanks everyone!

anything