Author Topic: Are rare wackys that were previously mounted worth anything?  (Read 5669 times)

Offline wilkie63

Are rare wackys that were previously mounted worth anything?
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:35:04 AM »
i have my old complete collection of Series 1 Wackies. Sadly, I had mounted them on black photo paper so there is a spot of paper on the backs. Even more sad is the fact that 4 of them are Red Ludlows and 3 are black ludlows. I also have the Spit and Spill with the spic and span printed on top and a Lavirus and RunTony. should i bother getting them valued? i am new to the forum so any help would be appreciated

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Are rare wackys that were previously mounted worth anything?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
i have my old complete collection of Series 1 Wackies. Sadly, I had mounted them on black photo paper so there is a spot of paper on the backs. Even more sad is the fact that 4 of them are Red Ludlows and 3 are black ludlows. I also have the Spit and Spill with the spic and span printed on top and a Lavirus and RunTony. should i bother getting them valued? i am new to the forum so any help would be appreciated

I wish I could say otherwise but I'm afraid they are pretty much worthless. Condition is everything as far as value goes, and having them intact is critical.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:44 AM »
it depends on how much damage there is to the backs (size and ugliness of area ruined) and how great of shape they appear from the front.
ludlows that are in otherwise excellent shape, but have a small portion ruined on the back are possibly worth 10 or so dollars
we'd really have to see a scan or photo to evaluate
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:23:08 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »
I wish I could say otherwise but I'm afraid they are pretty much worthless. Condition is everything as far as value goes, and having them intact is critical.
I don't believe he is saying the stickers were peeled and stuck (which would be worthless), but that the intact card was adhered to a page with a bit of adhesive paper. These may still be in otherwise great shape other than the adhesive.

Offline wilkie63

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »
to clarify these are unused with the patch of black paper on the back. the fronts are in great condition the edges are nice and they lay flat.

Offline wilkie63

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
the ludlows are: Chock full of Bolts red ludlow; gadzooka gum red; 6- up black; weakies black; fink red; Paul Maul red; band ache black

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »
I don't believe he is saying the stickers were peeled and stuck (which would be worthless), but that the intact card was adhered to a page with a bit of adhesive paper. These may still be in otherwise great shape other than the adhesive.

You're right then, it really depends on how bad the backs are messed up, so we would need to see scans of them.

Offline wilkie63

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
OK I scanned the fronts and backs.  I tried to label the backs on a separate sheet of white paper but I had difficulty lining them up so you could see the names. The bottom row is Paul Maul (red Ludlow), Mutts white back, BandAche black ludlow. If I only knew then as a kid NOT to mount them in my binder!!!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »

The question I have is, is there any way to get the adhesive off without damaging the back?

Maybe someone has a trick? Slight heating to make the adhesive soft? Freeze the stickers to make the glue brittle and maybe it will pop off?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
The question I have is, is there any way to get the adhesive off without damaging the back?

Maybe someone has a trick? Slight heating to make the adhesive soft? Freeze the stickers to make the glue brittle and maybe it will pop off?

I have used the freezing technique successfully on some dinosaur cards before to remove glue and paper but they were not stickers. I would be concerned that freezing might cause the stickers to free from the backing. After freezing the cards, I used an exacto knife to CAREFULLY chip away the glue and paper. Worked pretty well. I had to refreeze several of the cards more than once as I worked.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
Has anyone ever tried soaking with water?

I also collect prewar cards, including tobacco cards. Last week, I soaked an Oxford Confectionary card from the 1920's and the stuck on piece of paper came off. Soaked in warm water(tap), left for about an hour. Took out of water and used tweezers to remove the paper. Patted the card down with regular paper towel and then put between pages of a heavy book(in paper towel). It worked without any problem. You CAN NOT do this will all cards.

Problem is I have no idea of the effect on a Wacky Package. I dont have any Wacky's I know of that have stuck on paper, otherwise, I would try it.

By the way, I am not telling anyone to try this, especially on a valuable wacky. Just wondering if anyone ever tried it.

Frank

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
Since these are stickers, any technique that you try to use to remove some kind of adhesive from the backs of the cards is probably going to affect the stickers themselves as well.  It seems that the best bet would be to try to peel the offensive black paper off manually and hope it doesn't damage the cards too much.

I would think that the red-lud Paul Maul and the black-lud Bandache would still have some value even in this condition so you might just throw them on eBay and see what happens.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline wilkie63

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
thanks
much for the advice. i guess I'll try ebay and see what happens maybe I'll get lucky.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
Since these are stickers, any technique that you try to use to remove some kind of adhesive from the backs of the cards is probably going to affect the stickers themselves as well.  It seems that the best bet would be to try to peel the offensive black paper off manually and hope it doesn't damage the cards too much.

I would think that the red-lud Paul Maul and the black-lud Bandache would still have some value even in this condition so you might just throw them on eBay and see what happens.

I would try to scrape it off with a flat razor blade tool.  It may slide under the stuck paper without affecting the backs.  Even if it worked though there would be some kind of stain left over, and some of the backs don't look so good even without the black paper issue.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
the ludlows are: Paul Maul red; band ache black
What a shame.  :73:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with them!

anything