Author Topic: FLASHBACK BORDER-SETS  (Read 5668 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
FLASHBACK BORDER-SETS
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:39:32 AM »
Just wondering from others' experiences, what seems like fair pricing
for the various colored border sets from WP Flashback 1 and 2.
These were the same titles as the base set but only with green, pink,
silver and gold borders. I have seen a few on eBay, but not enough to
get an idea of a fair (defined as seller not getting ripped off but buyer
not making a windfall profit either) price.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: FLASHBACK BORDER-SETS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »
Just wondering from others' experiences, what seems like fair pricing
for the various colored border sets from WP Flashback 1 and 2.
These were the same titles as the base set but only with green, pink,
silver and gold borders. I have seen a few on eBay, but not enough to
get an idea of a fair (defined as seller not getting ripped off but buyer
not making a windfall profit either) price.

Scot, this is what I have for retail pricing.  If you are selling you may not get as high as these, but as a buyer it will give you something to go buy..............

Base set - $5.00
Green set - $25.00
Pink set - $75.00
Silver set - $400.00
Golds - $50 - $150.00 (each)

Both series 1 & 2 are about the same.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
I'm just curious, is there really significant demand at these prices? I'd think nearly everyone who cared about the border variations collected them at the time. If you put a silver set on ebay, will it really sell for $400?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »
I'm just curious, is there really significant demand at these prices? I'd think nearly everyone who cared about the border variations collected them at the time. If you put a silver set on ebay, will it really sell for $400?

Those are what the going prices should be especially the silvers. Those are a bitch to put together. You are right though you probably won't get that much for it.

Offline Kook

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:29:30 PM »

After putting several of these sets together and selling them within the past year, here is my recommendation for pricing if you actually want to make a sale:
fb green sets: $20 to $25
fb pink sets: $30 to $40
fb silver sets: $110 to $125

That has been my experience. There was 0 interest in the silver sets above $125 within the last year. I paid $450 to lockwood for my original set when they first came out, but that was at their peak. It is true that it would cost a lot to put these together a little at a time. The silver set supply has dried up lately from what I can tell, so a $250 (max imo) spike in price is certainly possible if you have a buyer who either missed out, or is tired of trying to build a set from scratch. I think there are many sitting on the sidelines with green & pink sets available.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »
After putting several of these sets together and selling them within the past year, here is my recommendation for pricing if you actually want to make a sale:
fb green sets: $20 to $25
fb pink sets: $30 to $40
fb silver sets: $110 to $125

That has been my experience. There was 0 interest in the silver sets above $125 within the last year. I paid $450 to lockwood for my original set when they first came out, but that was at their peak. It is true that it would cost a lot to put these together a little at a time. The silver set supply has dried up lately from what I can tell, so a $250 (max imo) spike in price is certainly possible if you have a buyer who either missed out, or is tired of trying to build a set from scratch. I think there are many sitting on the sidelines with green & pink sets available.

Building my silver set was tough!  In completing that, I know I ended up with extra sets of green, and maybe even pink, so other silver set completists probably have extras of the green and pink, too.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »

Like I said that's a retail price, but not necessarily what you would get throwing it on ebay auction style.  To get full retail you need to either get lucky or be patient about how long it takes to sell it. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »

About 6 or so months ago, I had a silver set listed for $150. It sat for about a month until I ended up selling it off ebay for around $110 from what I remember. Only 2 or 3 people made any inquiry. I think if you put a set on ebay with a buy it now for $250 obo, it would take at least 3 or 4 months to sell if you were lucky enough not to have anyone else with one available. Seems when I would list my green & pink sets, within a day or 2 someone would list a set $5 less than mine.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input here. Exactly the kind of real world experience I was hoping for.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »
Scot, this is what I have for retail pricing.  If you are selling you may not get as high as these, but as a buyer it will give you something to go buy..............

Base set - $5.00
Green set - $25.00
Pink set - $75.00
Silver set - $400.00
Golds - $50 - $150.00 (each)

Both series 1 & 2 are about the same.

I am confused, if a seller can't get these prices then why would a buyer have to pay these prices?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 05:25:52 AM »
I am confused, if a seller can't get these prices then why would a buyer have to pay these prices?

I didn't say a seller can't get those prices, but as Bill pointed out it would be very difficult.  I also didn't say that a buyer would have to pay those prices.  I pulled them from my personal price guide I keep and the prices are on the high side, which is why I referenced "retail".  I was putting them out there to help Scot get a barometer as to the pricing, not really knowing whether he was a buyer or a seller.

When I do my prices on post-2004 stuff I will usually go back every so often and adjust because of the way the prices drop. I think I originally had the silver sets at $750.00 when they were hot, and then I dropped it to $400.00 when it cooled down.  I'll probably drop the silver sets down somewhat again because it sounds based on what Bill said that they are too high.

Offline emoticon

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 07:04:42 AM »
I didn't say a seller can't get those prices, but as Bill pointed out it would be very difficult.  I also didn't say that a buyer would have to pay those prices.  I pulled them from my personal price guide I keep and the prices are on the high side, which is why I referenced "retail".  I was putting them out there to help Scot get a barometer as to the pricing, not really knowing whether he was a buyer or a seller.

When I do my prices on post-2004 stuff I will usually go back every so often and adjust because of the way the prices drop. I think I originally had the silver sets at $750.00 when they were hot, and then I dropped it to $400.00 when it cooled down.  I'll probably drop the silver sets down somewhat again because it sounds based on what Bill said that they are too high.

Right now you can buy Flashback 1 and 2 silver complete sets for $250. They didn't sell at the previous listing price of $300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Flashback-1-2-silver-sets-complete-/180634830460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0eacc67c

However, a series one set recently sold for $199:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Wacky-Packages-FLASHBACK-1-SILVER-BORDER-SET-72-/160539439844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560e572e4

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »
Right now you can buy Flashback 1 and 2 silver complete sets for $250. They didn't sell at the previous listing price of $300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Flashback-1-2-silver-sets-complete-/180634830460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0eacc67c

However, a series one set recently sold for $199:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Wacky-Packages-FLASHBACK-1-SILVER-BORDER-SET-72-/160539439844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560e572e4

A big contributing factor is whether you have a competing seller. IMO the buyers for these sets come along every couple of months as people enter the hobby or backfill their collections. If you are the only seller at the time, your position becomes much stronger. If you have your sets out there before a buyer comes along and another seller decides to sell, the prices start to drop with a kind of reverse auction of sellers. I think the silver sets will sell reasonably quickly at $100, and if no one else has a set for sale, you may get up to $250. (IMO again) Above $250 and a buyer will wait, below $100 and the buyers will come out of the woodwork.

As a side note, I have found that FB1 sets are a little easier to find than FB2.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
A big contributing factor is whether you have a competing seller. IMO the buyers for these sets come along every couple of months as people enter the hobby or backfill their collections. If you are the only seller at the time, your position becomes much stronger. If you have your sets out there before a buyer comes along and another seller decides to sell, the prices start to drop with a kind of reverse auction of sellers. I think the silver sets will sell reasonably quickly at $100, and if no one else has a set for sale, you may get up to $250. (IMO again) Above $250 and a buyer will wait, below $100 and the buyers will come out of the woodwork.

As a side note, I have found that FB1 sets are a little easier to find than FB2.

The interesting thing to speculate is what will the pricing be on these in 10-15 years?  Will they remain low relative to their rarity or will there be new completists at that point that will make demand higher?  Don't ask me to answer that.......I don't have a clue!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »

I wasn't really focused on the semantics of "can't" versus "probably not" versus "difficult".  What I took from your post was that the buyer price and seller price wouldn't match up and that didn't make sense to me.  They are one in the same.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
The interesting thing to speculate is what will the pricing be on these in 10-15 years?  Will they remain low relative to their rarity or will there be new completists at that point that will make demand higher?  Don't ask me to answer that.......I don't have a clue!
As a continuation of the gentlemen's bet I made with you that I won, these prices are going to continue to fall.  There is nothing inherently interesting about them.  Let's compare to a 1966 Frankenstein Sticker set which is relatively scarce.  There is only one way to get those stickers, that set.  I can't imagine someone 15 years from now specifically going after silver bordered images for solid coin when the same images are also available in black border for $1 per set.  The silvers will of course always fetch more than black border but no chance the price is sustainable, it just isn't logical.  Anyone who has extra sets would be well advised to sell when there is any sniff of demand now as 10 years from now, you will have a hell of a time finding buyers.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
I wasn't really focused on the semantics of "can't" versus "probably not" versus "difficult".  What I took from your post was that the buyer price and seller price wouldn't match up and that didn't make sense to me.  They are one in the same.

I look at a seller's expectation of throwing an item up on eBay auction style to be similar to "wholesale" pricing (unless of course it's a hot release we're talking about), and to get "full retail" you pretty much need to stick to your intended buy it now price and then be patient, because it could take some time. 

Like I said though, in this particular case my prices probably need a little adjustment.