Author Topic: DVD recommendations  (Read 2772 times)

Offline DrSushi

DVD recommendations
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
I'm hoping this thread can be a place to give and get recommendations on DVDs - good or bad.

The two DVD's I've rented recently that I would go out of my way to recommend are "A Serious Man" and "Inglourious Basterds".

My quick line for both would be basically the same: If you like the director(s)'s other movies, you'll really like this one.

And for those of you who may be of the female persuasion, or watch movies with someone of that bent, my wife enjoyed both of these as well.

One I did not think was worth my time was "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" a documentary about the 1968 Harvard -Yale football game. I thought this would be a good family movie, and there were many interesting tidbits - a couple of which you can see here:
[spoiler]
Tommy Lee Jones played on the Harvard team and was roommates with Al Gore. One of the Yale players was roommates with George W. Bush. Gary Trudeau based some of the characters in "Doonesbury" on some of the Yale players on this particular squad. [/spoiler]

But my wife and kid bailed out before the half-way point, and I just forced myself to finish - which is not that easy when a large part of what you're watching are plays from a football game where the final score is in the title of the movie.

I'd love to hear other members' recommendations. There have been more misses than hits in my Blockbuster queue lately.

Offline Schmutz

Re: DVD recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »
Not family friendly
1) American Histoy X (harsh topic but ed norton is amazing in this movie)
3) Hangover..... I just watched this yesterday with my wife and it had some good lough out loud moments.
4) District 9...... cool flick

family friendly
1) UP (wife bought it for me for xmas)
2) The Goonies (a great flick every time)
3) Empire of the Sun (I just watched this again and thought it was really good 20+ years after I watched it the 1st time.)

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »
Some of my personal favorites

1. The Princess Bride: Family friendly movie that still holds up after all these years.

2. Star Trek: The newest movie released in 2009 is what I refer to... really faithful to the original movies without trying to reinvent the whole thing.

3. Cabaret: I remembered watching this in college during a class about writing about film. Bought it at Wal-Mart recently and it's really good, but certainly a movie made more for adults than kids.

4. The Iron Giant: One of the more underappreciated films of the 1990s. You can get it pretty cheap, but it's really quite good and very much a family friendly movie.

5. The Dark Knight: The best superhero movie I've watched and it will be tough to top it.

And then there are plenty more beyond those five. :)

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »

Here's a music recommendation for Zappa fans.  It's currently available for free streaming on Netflix.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Frank_Zappa_Apostrophe_Over-Nite_Sensation/70067650?trkid=921403

Very worth renting even if you aren't a Netflix customer. 

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Bum_and_Mabel

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:08:08 AM »

Here's a music recommendation for Zappa fans.  It's currently available for free streaming on Netflix.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Frank_Zappa_Apostrophe_Over-Nite_Sensation/70067650?trkid=921403

Yes, good. I especially enjoyed the brief interview with David McMacken, who did the bizarre cover painting for Over-Nite Sensation. 

[expando]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EHsppOmC5n8/S3uvT23w7MI/AAAAAAAABMA/nfyAPzK7o4s/s1600/frankNITE_A.png[/expando]

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 03:39:20 AM »
Fantastic Mr Fox - two thumbs up!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »
Fantastic Mr Fox - two thumbs up!

That reminds me of a great family film we watched this Summer.

The Fox and the Child
Amazing photography throughout.  Maybe a bit slow in the beginning but the stunning imagery makes up for it in spades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Child

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:20:07 PM »
There have been more misses than hits in my Blockbuster queue lately.
With many local video stores going out of business recently, I've been sifting though the bargain bins looking for some good swill . . .
(I realize good swill is an oxymoron, but I like how it sounds...)
I bought this DVD recently and really enjoyed it!

I didn’t know until I checked his bio that Pee-wee's Big Adventure was Tim Burton's first major full length film, in ‘85.

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 05:35:24 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm going to try and check this out later today. I was lucky to see Zappa in concert at the  Orpheum Theatre (Boston, MA) in  1988
It was an epic show and had the best seats. I was 3rd row from the stage dead center.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »
I'm going to try and check this out later today. I was lucky to see Zappa in concert at the  Orpheum Theatre (Boston, MA) in  1988
It was an epic show and had the best seats. I was 3rd row from the stage dead center.

I was at the same show! (Or one of them as I believe he played two nights.) If I remember correctly, he closed with Stairway to Heaven.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:34:35 PM by Gurgle »

Offline R19Mosy

• R19MosyRU
DVD recommenda
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 04:22:48 AM »
Hello everyone:

I could use some recommendations for Giselle productions available on DVD sorry, no VHS. Let me know what your favorites are.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

This is part of a 'Classic Albums' series that airs from time to time on the VHI channel.  I haven't seen this one, but I have seen The Doors 1967 debut album, Fleetwood Mac - Rumors, Lou Reed - Transformer, and a few others.  These are good shows.  Unfortunately if the performer has been deceased for some time, as with Zappa, as far as commentary, the producers are limited to older film footage if they can find any.